It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:56 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Martha My Dear is pretty weak. Looking at the tracks it is
hard to single one out as being the weakest. I may have to
bring this in to work this week for a spin.

Weak? Name me a better song about a dog??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Keyser Soze wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Martha My Dear is pretty weak. Looking at the tracks it is
hard to single one out as being the weakest. I may have to
bring this in to work this week for a spin.

Weak? Name me a better song about a dog??

I had to pick on someone Keyser. Didn't realize it was about a dog but I stand by my choice.
Do you have a better nomination?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
NUMBER 9...NUMBER 9 NUMBER 9..NUMBER 9...NUMBER 9...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:25 pm 

A weak Beatles song?!?! BLAS-FEMER!!!!!! :wink:

I was never a big fan of Birthday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Keyser Soze wrote:
A weak Beatles song?!?! BLAS-FEMER!!!!!! :wink:

I was never a big fan of Birthday.

Agreed, that song can get tiresome but can you name a better birthday song?! :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:25 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
Well, to each his own, but I'm curious what you think the weakest track on the White Album is (Wild Honey Pie + both Revolutions are off the table :)).

no fair.

i guess i'd go with "why don't we do it in the road?". song doesn't do anything for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 pm 

Another beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGnNQM_9 ... re=related

I saw that show. 8)

Here's another one from that tour. His band was awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV18scOs ... re=related

I could do this all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWVo1fj ... re=related

MILFiest! Show! Ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHjxvgkh ... re=related

Last edited by Keyser Soze on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Overrated or not, side 2 of Abbey Road is a pretty good listen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:25 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Martha My Dear" is pretty awesome, guys, but then my tastes in the white album are weird. I love the treacly 1940s orchestra crap on "Good Night," for example, while I couldn't give a shit about "Revolution 9" or "Julia." "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is fun; "Birthday" is garbage. I think everyone's in accord on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Blackbird," and "Helter Skelter" being the best three songs, right?

The best Beatles song ever is probably "Eleanor Rigby," though one could make strong cases for "In My Life" or "A Day in the Life."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:20 am 

you know who LOVES joel osteen? those alabama refs!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Positano's Pizza
I love the Beatles. I can get into every song they recorded except for "Good Day Sunshine." I can't stand that song. I always feel the Paul was the more talented, but I think he got out of hand on that song. Had Lennon not been there to settle him down then the Beatles are the forerunners of the power ballad. As for the White Album, it's the one disc I take with me to the deserted island.

The weakest track though has to be Bungalow Bill. Yoko should have never been on a Beatles track. I agree 100% with Paul when he said no woman should have been on a Beatle song. My favorite on the album is Happiness Is A Warm Gun. The song is mind blowing when one first gets into the Beatles. As a kid I thought, "Come on, the Beatles? All that Hold Your Hand and Twist & Shout?" When I was thirteen I was convinced to listen to "The Beatles" 67-70 and I never looked at music the same way again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:20 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
exactly...the Doors would have faded anyway.
I would have loved to have heard what Hendrix would have come up with though.

Have you ever heard the Morrison/Hendrix compilation? It Hendrix playing and Morrison trying to recite some poetry. Historically speaking, it's a must listen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:26 pm 

I too love the Beatles! It's hard for me to believe it took me all this time to buy the WHITE Album. Some things just slip by,I guess. My favorites highlighted in RED.

Side one
# Title Lead vocals[37] Length
1. "Back in the U.S.S.R." McCartney 2:43
2. "Dear Prudence" Lennon 3:56
3. "Glass Onion" Lennon 2:17
4. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" McCartney 3:08
5. "Wild Honey Pie" McCartney 0:53
6. "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" Lennon 3:14
7. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (George Harrison) Harrison 4:45
8. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" Lennon 2:43

Side two
1. "Martha My Dear" McCartney 2:28
2. "I'm So Tired" Lennon 2:03
3. "Blackbird" McCartney 2:18 4. "Piggies" (Harrison) Harrison 2:04
5. "Rocky Raccoon" McCartney 3:32
6. "Don't Pass Me By" (Richard Starkey) Starr 3:50
7. "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?" McCartney 1:41
8. "I Will" McCartney 1:46
9. "Julia" Lennon 2:54

Side three
1. "Birthday" McCartney with Lennon 2:42
2. "Yer Blues" Lennon 4:01
3. "Mother Nature's Son" McCartney 2:48
4. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" Lennon 2:24
5. "Sexy Sadie" Lennon 3:15
6. "Helter Skelter" McCartney 4:29
7. "Long, Long, Long" (Harrison) Harrison 3:04

Side four
1. "Revolution 1" Lennon 4:15
2. "Honey Pie" McCartney 2:41
3. "Savoy Truffle" (Harrison) Harrison 2:54
4. "Cry Baby Cry" Lennon, with McCartney 3:01 5. "Revolution 9" N/A 8:22
6. "Good Night" Starr 3:11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
In other news, CSFMB posters recently discovered that Citizen Kane had a lot of merit for an old black and white movie and that Atlas Shrugged was, in fact, a pretty impressive book for its time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 pm 

I got your Rosebud right here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:06 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
West46thStreet wrote:
I agree 100% with Paul when he said no woman should have been on a Beatle song.

Is that why Linda McCartney sings back-up with Yoko and Ringo's wife on *Birthday*?

I'm aware of it, and I'm also of the mindset that Lennon gets too much flak for the Yoko thing while McCartney pushed Linda on the world with Wings. I just agree with the statement that a woman should not have been on the albums. McCartney went against his own belief, he should have stuck to his guns.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
how anyone can say the Beatles or Zep are overrated is beyond me. Zep began when the Beatles left. That is all that needs be said. When Zep died, music died.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 pm 

This album is racist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
I know, just messin' with you.

I still won't forgive you destroying my childhood memories of Warren Moon with your stats!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:12 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
West46thStreet wrote:
Exclamation Moint wrote:
I know, just messin' with you.

I still won't forgive you destroying my childhood memories of Warren Moon with your stats!

Those teams were fun, though. I really need to order that Ernest Givins throwback. Maybe I should call him and get an actual jersey. We're about the same size.
Warren Moon's, um, domestic problems are a better reason to ruin him for you retroactively.

You're right. It was just the allure of AFC ball on NBC with the big pipes of a Charlie Jones that had me hooked. I'm sure if I dug deep enough, most athletes I admired as a yute would disappoint me greatly as people.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Plus Paul's drumming on Back in the USSR was pretty good. He gets a bad rap too often because of the Lennon worship (not that Lennon didn't deserve most of it). By Abbey Road it was more Harrison/McCartney than Lennon/McCartney.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:19 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Plus Paul's drumming on Back in the USSR was pretty good. He gets a bad rap too often because of the Lennon worship (not that Lennon didn't deserve most of it). By Abbey Road it was more Harrison/McCartney than Lennon/McCartney.

I'm no musician, but I'm convinced McCartney was just more musically inclined. I'll never question anyone's love for Lennon, and I'm sure the two needed each other more than they would have ever admitted; but you're right McCartney gets the bad rap. His need to control things probably caused tension more than anything, though without it those last few years might have been a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:07 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
I'll prattle on more about the Beatles...
I think without question McCartney was the best pure musician of the group. He was a revolutionary bass player, a solid drummer, and pretty good on piano. He could even deliver a great solo like he did on Taxman. To really overgeneralize, John wrote the great hooks and Paul had the gift for melody, but both had tremendous skill in these areas. After 1962-1963 most of their songs were solo efforts that were changed via collaboration, not co-written songs.

I've never liked Harrison's guitar abilities (some of the early solos are downright atrocious, he fell back on his weird slide style too heavily later), Lennon had some moments of brilliance as a rhythm guitar but was merely competent overall, but Ringo is very much underrated as a drummer.... I said it earlier in the thread but his work on Revolver and its singles was fantastic.

Being a raging control freak/penis gave Paul that bad rap. John and George (especially) hated his guts when the band broke up. As the story goes, Ringo was the 1st to bail on the Beatles during the White Album sessions (which is why Paul drums on the White Album's first 2 tracks), George during the Get Back sessions (went home and wrote Wah-Wah), and John immediately after the release of Abbey Road (though he'd checked out earlier in 1969). But Paul was the one who made the public announcement in April 1970, and did pull a dick move by releasing his solo album at the same time as the Let it Be abortion.

The legacies of Paul, John and Yoko hinge upon how much you choose to believe Albert Goldman's take down of Lennon in that infamous biography. Lennon is called no less than a drug addict/closet homosexual/murderer/violent sociopath/absentee father/Oepidus complex-addled/below-average guitar player and songwriter. Goldman shits upon any number of John's masterpieces such as Imagine (not one of my faves, but I'm in the vast minority there). Yoko is called a master manipulator on a level that would make Rasputin blush and Paul emerges as the hero who kept the Beatles viable after Brian Epstein's death. There is at least a grain of truth in all of these labels, though. The book was denounced by the surviving members of the Beatles' *family* (Lennon was dead), even Paul.

It sucks though that John wound up peaking in 1970-1971 (Plastic Ono Band/Imagine) and George the same (All Things Must Pass). Though they had occasional hits - even #1 singles - but neither did comparable work after that point. Paul has had a long, extremely uneven but commercially successful solo career. Ringo had a few hits, most of which were charity songs donated to him by the others (with the exception of It Don't Come Easy, the best song he ever wrote).

I segued into SHARK somewhere in those ramblings!

I agree with most of your sentiments though I enjoy Harrison's guitar work. Also, I think George Martin is criminally undervalued when people talk about The Beatles. Had he not come along who knows what type of band the lads would have turned into. Now that I'm a little older, I'm more of the opinion John was just madly in love just as McCartney was with Linda. And I'm quite sure the death of Brian Epstein had to have a huge affect on the group.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No doubt that George Martin was a critical piece of the Beatles puzzle. I have tons of respect for him. Up there with Teo Macero and Brian Eno as the most important producers ever. Fuck a bunch of Rick Rubin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:33 pm 

good stuff, moint and 46thstreet.