It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Right on. When I wasn't worshipping Satan with (the elfin) Ronnie James Dio albums playing in the background, I was convincing myself that Eric Davis was the best baseball player ever.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
A thread that may name drop The Circle Jerks has devolved into an actual circle jerk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
DannyB wrote:
Right on. When I wasn't worshipping Satan with (the elfin) Ronnie James Dio albums playing in the background, I was convincing myself that Eric Davis was the best baseball player ever.

he may have been on the day he wasn't hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I love this thread. You still playing with someone, JORR? Might have missed through the pages.

I still play, I always will I think. It's in my blood. Haven't played in front of people for awhile though. :(

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:04 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
I love this thread. You still playing with someone, JORR? Might have missed through the pages.

No, I'm like the guy in the Uncle Tupelo song:

I sold my guitar to the girl next door
She asked me if I knew how
I told her, "I don't think so anymore"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:02 pm 

I just took up the guitar around Christmas. I can play Louie Louie. Somewhat.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
DannyB wrote:
I just took up the guitar around Christmas. I can play Louie Louie. Somewhat.

The board should have a house band.

I can play "Louie, Louie" on triangle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:30 am 

John Doe is on Fresh Air telling stories of the LA punk scene.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

DannyB wrote:
John Doe is on Fresh Air telling stories of the LA punk scene.

I just heard that interview. Dave Alvin talking about the Starwood. I guess they have a book out or coming out. It was pretty interesting hearing Alvin, John Doe, and Exene talk about how the scene changed. I had a basic knowledge of the early California hardcore scene and how hammerheads from Orange County who loved bands like The Middle Class and T.S.O.L. came in and started beating the shit out of everybody.

That's what I was talking about when I said the Maggots weren't poseurs. We didn't sound like anyone else and our musicianship was sorely lacking. We looked goofy as hell. And I wasn't happy about that. I guess I wanted to look and play like everyone else. Mindau was right but I was too young and too dumb to realize it. I became a poseur.

I mean, I consider Hazardous Youth a pretty great band and the guys who were in it with me weren't poseurs at all. But that stuff was their thing, not mine. I was older and really, affecting a pose. I had a band that could play anything and play it fast as hell, but that really wasn't me. Then there was the skinhead and skater clothing. It seems rather ridiculous in retrospect. When I listen back to the songs, it amazes me how well the Maggots stuff has aged.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
You ever chit chat with Don Degrazia? We went to HS together...he was a couple years younger. He immersed himself in some skinhead culture and worked at the Riviera for a while to provide fuel for the book he wrote American Skin.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/fo ... oid=901897

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 pm 

Doe was genuinely proud of the time he blocked the beer bottle flying at his head with the headstock of his guitar without missing a beat. A mundane sports achievement is there ever was one.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:
You ever chit chat with Don Degrazia? We went to HS together...he was a couple years younger. He immersed himself in some skinhead culture and worked at the Riviera for a while to provide fuel for the book he wrote American Skin.

I think I vaguely remember him hanging around. He was a fringe player in that scene, and really, so was I. Like I said, I was older than those guys that hung out at Aetna Park and Medusa's. But some of the guys in my bands were key players in that scene.

Have you read DeGrazia's book? It's a real Roman à clef and I recognized many guys or at least guys on whom the characters were based. Obviously, Gorgon was Medusa's. There's a clear Clark Martell character in there too. As for his protagonist, I'm not sure who he's based on, but there may be a lot of Jerry Rodgers in him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

DannyB wrote:
Doe was genuinely proud of the time he blocked the beer bottle flying at his head with the headstock of his guitar without missing a beat. A mundane sports achievement is there ever was one.

Yeah, his Fender Mustang still has the battle scar. Fuckin' rock and roll, man!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I think I vaguely remember him hanging around. He was a fringe player in that scene, and really, so was I. Like I said, I was older than those guys that hung out at Aetna Park and Medusa's. But some of the guys in my bands were key players in that scene.

Have you read DeGrazia's book? It's a real Roman à clef and I recognized MANY guys or at least guys on whom the characters were based. Obviously, Gorgon was Medusa's. There's a clear Clark Martell character in there too. As for his protagonist, I'm not sure who he's based on, but there may be a lot of Jerry Rodgers in him.

You went to high school with DeGrazia?? Holy scheisse. I've read American Skin three times. Excellent book--and a few former Skinheads have told me that it was the real thing.

Funny thing: Not long after reading it (and back when I was a fatass), I was walking back to my buddy's apartment in Ukrainian Village (maybe? I'm a South Sider; it was somewhere up north) after being at Club Lucky. It was winter in the mid-90s, when I was a bit of a fat ass, and with my trenchcoat on, and under the streetlights, I probably looked fairly large. (In truth, I'm a skinny wus.)

Anywho, a bunch of tough customers approached me to warn me about some thugs running around and then asked me if I was interested in joining something larger than myself. "We could use the size," one of them said. I studied their faces and I was scared shitless. I basically told them that I sympathized but that my back was all messed up ("Hurt it playing football in high school," which was a lie since I didn't play football) and I'd be no good to anyone. I tried to give them a fake email, but none of them had an email account, so I gave them my old phone number. I got a few bro-handshakes, though for a moment I was worried that they wanted to warm up in my friend's apartment. Weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Been a long time since I read the book...We were all proud of him for getting it published to pretty high acclaim. He hung out with a lot of my sister's friends so I saw him all the time...we had the pool in our back yard throughout HS and college...which was nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:27 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Been a long time since I read the book...We were all proud of him for getting it published to pretty high acclaim. He hung out with a lot of my sister's friends so I saw him all the time...we had the pool in our back yard throughout HS and college...which was nice.

That's awesome. I read the book again two years ago...and it still holds up quite well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:

Yeah, it's been awhile since I read it too. I'm pretty sure there are characters based on a couple black skinheads I knew pretty well, or maybe a composite of them.

We used to play the "Theme from Sesame Street" with different lyrics:

Sonny and Dwayne
Drinkin' the night away
On the corner where the skinheads meet
Can ya tell me how to get
How to get to Halsted Street?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:15 am 
Site Admin

I’m posting this in honor of the nice sandwich I had at Bar 145 last night.

As a kid I was fascinated by AM radio. I loved the Big 89 and Super CFL. And I loved the hits they played like “Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl)” by Looking Glass, “Rock Me Gently” by Andy Kim, and “Shannon” by Henry Gross. When I became a teenager I was a real classic rock guy (although we didn’t call it “classic rock” at the time.) I listened to The Loop and WMET constantly. Mitch Michaels, Patti Haze, and Sky Daniels, playing the Stones, Sabbath, and Zeppelin. If my family hadn’t left the City, I’m sure my tastes would be just like Mac FM’s. But we moved to Evanston. I learned punk rock in Evanston.

In the early ‘80s, my friend Karl dropped out of Evanston Township High School to work full-time at Hi Neighbor Foods on Howard Street. He got an apartment with a guy from Waterloo, Iowa named Jimmy above this shitty bar called Frank’s Oasis. (It’s still there, but they’ve dropped Frank from the name.) Karl had left Hi Neighbor and was working with Jimmy at the White Hen on the corner of Pratt & Sheridan. The Maggots were just getting started and Karl used to let us set up in his living room and play. This annoyed Jimmy as well as the neighbors, but nobody said much. It was East Rogers Park and everybody was more fucked up than we were. Sometimes we would sneak into Frank’s to drink. We got to know the bartenders that would serve us. I was seventeen years old.

I’m not exactly sure how this song came to be, but there were several circumstances that informed it. We liked to play video games at Dennis’ Place for Games and Silver Sue’s on Clark Street. Afterward we would often hang out at the Golden-Nugget on the corner of Devon and Clark late into the night. My go-to meal there was the patty melt. Also around this time, I was hanging around with a guy named Steve Hendrix and we were in this phase where we were fucking around with psychedelic drugs. You can read about one of our experiences here:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=7537&start=84
I was working at Cas & Lou Restaurant at the time. One of the guys I worked with was a Mexican-American named Hugo who I got to be pretty good friends with. Hugo was in his early twenties and he would sometimes refer to me as “Today’s Tom Sawyer.” I’m not sure it was a compliment. :lol:

Anyway, I think I was messing around trying to play “My Girl” one day and, of course I couldn’t really sing it. Somehow it morphed into this guitar riff. At first it was just the chorus:

Patty Melt’s made of beef and cheese
Onions and bread, that’s all you need
I like mine on whole dark rye
If I don’t get it I’m gonna cry

During the verses, which were pretty much just the chorus played slower, I would say a bunch of crazy shit, most of it at least based on my own experiences and stuff that had actually occurred. Occasionally I would throw in licks and lyrics from other pop or classic rock songs. I guess I was trying to give it a psychedelic feel. I also listened to a lot of blues at the time. I was familiar with talking blues, well I suppose you could call this “talking metal”. One day I put in the verse about dropping acid at a Rush concert. Geddy Lee’s nose turned into a patty melt before my very eyes. That was a keeper.

Here’s a version of the Maggots doing the song some time in the early ‘80s:

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... patty-melt

This is a Hazardous Youth version from later in the decade. I’ll say one thing, the only two guys in rock and roll who can say “boo hoo” without sounding like a pussy are Iggy Pop and my man Casey West.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... patty-melt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:07 am 
Site Admin

I just discovered this on Sound Cloud. This song is the purest distillation of the Sonars sound and ethic. I have no idea where this Japanese guy came up with this track. Things are kind of fuzzy for me around the time of the Sonars' demise. I'm not even sure exactly who is playing on it other than Bill. He may have overdubbed the second guitar although he/we didn't usually work that way. Most of our stuff was recorded live in as few takes as possible. I had actually forgotten this song existed. God bless the Internet. Bill wrote it just around the time when things were getting tense in the band. I don't know what this version is from. It may have ended up on the Bill's album Viva Le Rock 'n' Roll. If it did, it's a misfit on there among the swing and jump jazz crap. The guy has mistitled it here. Originally we called it "Drag You Down". It eventually became "Don't Let The Shit Drag You Down" which was shortened to "DLTSDUD". I can still remember a few things.

https://soundcloud.com/shoonbassjp/dlsdyd

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:34 am 
Site Admin

The triumphant return of Hazardous Youth grows ever closer. Not without a little controversy, however. A couple of the boys have apparently gotten politically correct in their old age. They're a little squeamish about a song sixteen year old Gus wrote after seeing this dog food commercial on television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prlLLEj1tvE

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... pussy-tits

I'm sure I can sell it without seeming like a creepy old guy, but I think we're going to put it on the shelf.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The triumphant return of Hazardous Youth grows ever closer. Not without a little controversy, however. A couple of the boys have apparently gotten politically correct in their old age. They're a little squeamish about a song sixteen year old Gus wrote after seeing this dog food commercial on television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prlLLEj1tvE

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... pussy-tits

I'm sure I can sell it without seeming like a creepy old guy, but I think we're going to put it on the shelf.

It's wonderfully direct, though, and, even at my age, not without its relevance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:44 am 

PLEASE tell me there is a villain (or at least a goon) in this loosely based on you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:41 am 
Site Admin

I'd go see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Crazy admission. For approximately 8.5 years now I have been wondering around singing this thread title to the song I knew the bride when she used to rock and roll. I'd then change tunes and melodies by tossing in a few lines from squeezebox by The Who. End crazy admission.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:39 am 

I wrote a very similar libretto, except in mine a mysterious stranger travels back in time to prevent Dave Grohl from being inspired.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Telegram Sam wrote:
I wrote a very similar libretto, except in mine a mysterious stranger travels back in time to prevent Dave Grohl from being inspired.

They hired a guy at work recently who is Grohl's doppelgänger, wears his hair real long, always has on a black suit coat-must travel by plane a lot, but I digress. Due to the similar appearance, which I'm sure he must secretly cultivate, I have had to work hard not to automatically label him a douche nozzle prematurely. I really gave him a lot of rope. Fortunately, now after about a year, he has pretty much proven the first impression accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm 

A friend of mine is doing some spring cleaning and posting random flyers and stuff he worked on. I have no recollection of this place. Fotches, 3044 W. Peterson? This would have been late 80's. I think there was a disco around there, I don't know if this is the same place.

Last edited by Telegram Sam on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Six bucks was a big price back then, but that was a heck of a bill.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Punkin' Donuts

https://m.chicagoreader.com/chicago/pun ... d=79085844

Some quotes from HY drummer Gustavo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Really good read. I was no part of that scene but knew of Punkin' Donuts and had been to the Alley once.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next