It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
That was my hood. I moved a block north of Belmont/Clark in 1995 - 2007. The kids were usually pretty cool. I had an office where Medusa's was on Sheffield and School. Funny how so many people talked about coming there when they were younger. I knew some interesting people from the L&L right across the street. The original owners Lefty and Loretta were good people serving mainly a daytime crowd living on pension checks. Nights were for Theater types from Hell Cab, BlueMan and couple others now defunct.
They mentioned Lawrence Arms, Smoking Popes and Alkaline Trio. They were different than the Dunkin kids, or maybe grew out of it somewhat by 18. I drank with those guys often when they still had fake ID's. I didn't know who they were for some time after they made it. Decent guys. That parking lot was never dull, even after they started booting cars out of the parking lot. That booting curtailed a lot of young kid activity (or coincided maybe) but the fun people watching continued. Saw a girl agree to a blowjob in return for getting the boot removed. Transaction occurred, boot removed. Girl and friend came back to wash the taste out. Good times. Not mentioned was a Guitar Center that was on Clark just North of The Alley. It too brought in a lively bunch of people. Emilio's hair shop used to service a lot of the crazy hair group. At the L&L, there would still be dust ups between skin head groups as late as 2010 iirc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
beni hanna wrote:
That was my hood. I moved a block north of Belmont/Clark in 1995 - 2007. The kids were usually pretty cool. I had an office where Medusa's was on Sheffield and School. Funny how so many people talked about coming there when they were younger. I knew some interesting people from the L&L right across the street. The original owners Lefty and Loretta were good people serving mainly a daytime crowd living on pension checks. Nights were for Theater types from Hell Cab, BlueMan and couple others now defunct.
They mentioned Lawrence Arms, Smoking Popes and Alkaline Trio. They were different than the Dunkin kids, or maybe grew out of it somewhat by 18. I drank with those guys often when they still had fake ID's. I didn't know who they were for some time after they made it. Decent guys. That parking lot was never dull, even after they started booting cars out of the parking lot. That booting curtailed a lot of young kid activity (or coincided maybe) but the fun people watching continued. Saw a girl agree to a blowjob in return for getting the boot removed. Transaction occurred, boot removed. Girl and friend came back to wash the taste out. Good times. Not mentioned was a Guitar Center that was on Clark just North of The Alley. It too brought in a lively bunch of people. Emilio's hair shop used to service a lot of the crazy hair group. At the L&L, there would still be dust ups between skin head groups as late as 2010 iirc.

My dad worked at the bank on the corner forever. Most of the businesses in the area were his customers. He installed the first outdoor ATM in Chicago there. The two older guys who owned the bank thought it was a crazy idea. They wanted to put it in the lobby. My dad explained that would defeat the purpose. He wanted access available 24 hours a day. The old guys reluctantly agreed. They couldn't believe how much money they made in fees after just the first month.

In the 70s the Medusa's building housed the Swedish Club. I don't remember it being called the Independent Order of Vikings at the time, but maybe it was. My dad used to take me there to play chess against old Swedes. Here I am attempting to reject the old man's advice during a match with a guy named Lee. (I probably should have lied and said his name was Sven. It makes for a better story.)

I've broken up with two girlfriends at the L&L. It was my plan to propose to my wife there but I couldn't find a place to park.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
RAIDERS!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I don't believe it possible our paths did not cross. I was there just about every day for the better part of 15 years except some weekend nights when it became a bit of amateur hour. I ate there, drank there, never shit there though. That place was disgusting. In later years I'd show up with a bag of peanuts, grab a timeout and go to town. Pretty sure the recent owner was not a fan but I knew the bartenders well.

I wore that same Dutch Boy haircut for way too long.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Isn't the L&L where the Revolting Cocks claim to have gotten their name?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Telegram Sam wrote:
Isn't the L&L where the Revolting Cocks claim to have gotten their name?

What's that story?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I haven't listened to them in ages but i had a strange urge to listen to "Crackin' Up" the other day
I had a brief industrial phase in the early 90's. Most of the Wax Trax stuff didn't age too well

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:01 am 

Time to close this thread out.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My wife binge-watched Cheer over the weekend. I was doing some work and not really paying attention at first but I couldn't help but hear it and I got caught up in it. I now know more about cheerleading than I ever wanted to.

It's both an activity and a sport. Most people only see them at football games but they have a sport and championship of their own. Yeah, you can laugh and sneer that it isn't a sport. I did. Then I saw these bastards and what they do.

The show follows a junior college cheer team from Texas. They are to JUCO cheer what UCLA was to hoops in the 60s-early 70s. Their coach is this MILFy broad named Monica. One of the storylines is this kid from Chicago named Jerry. He's a chunky black gay dude. Did I mention most of the guys are black and I think all of them are gay? The girls are all small and white.

Anyway, Jerry's mom moved him from the city to Naperville. Probably because he was taking heat for being sweet and because the hood was dangerous. Jerry started cheering at Waubonsie Valley. Then his mom died. He moved in with the family of a girl on the cheer team. He tried to get a scholarship to Louisville but was denied. Apparently, Louisville is the King Kong of college cheer. So Jerry went to Navarro JC in Corsicana, Texas, home of Collins Street Bakery, the largest fruitcake baker in the country.

The positions in cheer are base and stunter (bottom of the pyramid), flyer (little girls that get thrown), and tumblers. There is also a hybrid called a "stumbler" who is a dude that can tumble and work the pyramid base.

Jerry is a base. But only 20 people get to go "on the mat" to compete and Jerry isn't versatile because he doesn't tumble so he was a backup. Jerry's roommate was Ladarius who was the most talented guy on the team. But Ladarius sometimes acts like a patriot. Jerry is jovial. Monica had to discipline Ladarius for being an insubordinate jerk so she gave his spot to Jerry. Everyone knew that was only temporary except Jerry. Ladarius had to go back in for the championship. But then another base, Will Hernandez got hurt, so Jerry got his spot.

There was more drama when Sherbs, the top flyer was dropped by the stunters and sprained her forearm. She had to be replaced by Morgan who had been abandoned by her father in a trailer in Wyoming when he married his second wife. Morgan's grandparents took her in and she made her way to Corsicana.

Everything builds toward the National Championship in Daytona. I won't spoil it by telling you if they win. It's a good watch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:17 am 
Site Admin

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

I have zero recollection of playing the gig that is advertised on that flyer but it must have been one hell of a rock and roll show. Actually, I guess that may have been the last show we ever played in our first incarnation. That would have been at Club 950 on Easter Sunday in 1991.

Four bands with completely different styles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4-glDP9VEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNsBSx1AyWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6t2Laa1jLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bmKdbVccss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Snoopeez Tapeworm....."This is a song I'd like to dedicate to all the guys that wake up in the morning...it's called 'My Balls Itch'" :lol: :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
is or was Phyllis' a corner bar? I thought it was in the middle of the block. Maybe I'm thinking of an old man bar on Armitage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

Probably y'all made the video before they filmed the PBS series, but Julia Child pulling a pistol on Jacques Pepin for trying to deny her cheese on her burger would have been a good clip

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hussra wrote:
is or was Phyllis' a corner bar? I thought it was in the middle of the block. Maybe I'm thinking of an old man bar on Armitage.

Corner of Division & Wood.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The strangest band I ever played in was the Devil Bell Hippies. It wasn’t really a band, per se, but rather just a vehicle for the mad genius of Martin Billheimer. Martin is one of the smartest motherfuckers I’ve ever met. And delightfully odd to boot.

The Hippies started out as a goof when somehow Martin was able to reserve a block of time on a local public access cable station. I think he pitched it as a show featuring his band. I’m sure the powers that be just thought these were a group of nice young lads from Lincoln Park High. To see Martin you would never guess just how bizarre he really is.

In any case, the tape they submitted featured a mini-“concert” with the Hippies spitting out all manner of dissonance while Martin attempted to conjure up the devil and mumbled some shit about the Necronomicon. It ended with a full on black mass which included the recitation of The Infernal Names. The band members were all wearing black hoods. One of the guys had on a fabulous pair of brown corduroy bell bottoms and he made sure to point them out for the camera.

I played guitar for them a couple of times during live sets. There wasn’t much song structure. I simply tried to coax as many weird sounds as I could from the amplifier. I remember that during one of the shows Martin pulled a set list from the pocket of his jacket. It appeared to be a 3” x 5” card at first but when it unfolded onto the stage it was about twenty feet long. Red Stripe beer and Balaam. Fuckin’ punk rock, man! Delamer Duverus swallowed the soul of Edward Aloysius Roberts.

Anyway, these go out to everybody who loves Satan and flared pants as much as Mr. Billheimer and I do.

https://soundcloud.com/chipchilupa/disco-satan

https://soundcloud.com/thedelrios/weari ... es-for-the

https://soundcloud.com/thedelrios/delam ... dean-titan

https://chicagoreader.com/music/the-dev ... of-exists/

I'm posting this just for Bagels and maybe Douchebag if he happens to be in town. If Martin ever does put this together it's a must see. Keep a look out for it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Nancys
Saw something here that i wasnt sure was corrected; about Hauck and The Plague. While he did do some Plague Bass time as I did on Bass and Guitar, Jeff wasnt in. He was in Genocide/Mass Genocide before Life Sentence.
I jammed with him and Holstein last night.
Plenty can say they played with the Chicago Metal Bass legends Holstien and Hauck, but who can say they played with both on same session? What a blast!
I have been fortunate to jam with metal bass legends Holstien, Hauck, Chompe and Speckman before at Ranger, Zenith, Music Factory and a lot of the other Chicago jam spots back in the day but never was lucky enough to jam with 2 bass players at same time before last night. Im hoping Plague/Life Scentence drummer can join in next Saturday!
Was great to see some old flyers here and remember 662 Milwaukee Hell House along with other spots, even the Mauwood dive. Maybe ill read the entire thread of i get time.
Peace to the peaceful
Food

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7