It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Biddy Mulligans, The Buffalo Bar at the Heartland, Cheers (on Sheridan where Bop and Grill is now), and Hamilton's all used to be great spots for underage drinkers in the late 80s/early 90s. My high school buddies and I would go to those places to get drunk and pick up college girls. We always succeeded in our first objective, but never the second.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Biddy Mulligans, The Buffalo Bar at the Heartland, Cheers (on Sheridan where Bop and Grill is now), and Hamilton's all used to be great spots for underage drinkers in the late 80s/early 90s. My high school buddies and I would go to those places to get drunk and pick up college girls. We always succeeded in our first objective, but never the second.

How about Wednesday quarter beers at the Pumping Company? That was a place we got in pretty easily as kids.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I think cheers,was where Philly'S Best is now. We used to hit those places too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

How about Wednesday quarter beers at the Pumping Company? That was a place we got in pretty easily as kids.

For some reason we never made it to the Pumping Company until we were drinking legally. Good place to get shitfaced inexpensively back in college. There also used to be a great old-time bowling alley on Broadway near Moody's--Lambert's Bowl. It had a terrific atmosphere, a nice little bar, and a distinct lack of interest in carding.

Rogers Park really used to be a hotbed for underage drinkers, especially with Old City on Devon and Jarvis Liquors selling to high schoolers and college kids by the carload.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

For some reason we never made it to the Pumping Company until we were drinking legally. Good place to get shitfaced inexpensively back in college. There also used to be a great old-time bowling alley on Broadway near Moody's--Lambert's Bowl. It had a terrific atmosphere, a nice little bar, and a distinct lack of interest in carding.

Rogers Park really used to be a hotbed for underage drinkers, especially with Old City on Devon and Jarvis Liquors selling to high schoolers and college kids by the carload.

We would hit the Pumping Company first and then Chaser's (now Ace Hardware) and/or Fiddler's Green until 4:00 a.m. We called that "doing the complete". If we were really feeling adventurous we would hit Char-Lar Lounge on Granville for late night.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

We would hit the Pumping Company first and then Chaser's (now Ace Hardware) and/or Fiddler's Green until 4:00 a.m. We called that "doing the complete". If we were really feeling adventurous we would hit Char-Lar Lounge on Granville for late night.

Did you ever go to Jarheads on Clark? As the name suggests, it was an old Marines bar with kind of a dangerous feel to it. No problem getting served there, but the couple of times I went, I thought I was going to get my ass kicked. I also felt that way at Dennis': The Place for Games, also on Clark just south of Pratt. There used to be a lot of Latin Kings who played at that arcade, and I had a friend who really enjoyed beating them on any number of games. They didn't like that, but they never hassled us either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:

Did you ever go to Jarheads on Clark? As the name suggests, it was an old Marines bar with kind of a dangerous feel to it. No problem getting served there, but the couple of times I went, I thought I was going to get my ass kicked. I also felt that way at Dennis': The Place for Games, also on Clark just south of Pratt. There used to be a lot of Latin Kings who played at that arcade, and I had a friend who really enjoyed beating them on any number of games. They didn't like that, but they never hassled us either.

I've never been in Jarheads. Of course, I've walked and driven past it thousands of times.

Dennis was a goofy little bastard. I loved that cartoon picture of him in the little sailor suit that was the logo. My friend Menke had some issues with depression and manic behavior. One night he threw a tantrum and tore Dennis' door off. He paid to buy a new one. We always called it "Menke's Door" after that. We didn't really like the crowd in Dennis' either. So we played most of our games up the street at Silver Sue's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Telegram Sam wrote:
Rockin' Billy of Rockin' Billy and the Wild Coyotes?

A very young Rockin' Billy backstage somewhere in the mid-South

In Memphis or maybe Carbondale playing $5 Guitar
Photo credits to the always awesome Mary Dean.

If you don't wanna hear the boomin', get to the back of the room:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUykRgsUz2A

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

R.I.P. Eric Brockman of Life Sentence. I'm not sure what happened to him. I had heard he was homeless for awhile. You never know if the shit you read on the Internet is true though. Anyway, I liked Eric. He used to work at the old Record City on Oakton in Skokie where the Domino's is now. I would go in there with most of my paycheck every Friday to buy the new punk rock records and Eric would always make suggestions. I'm pretty sure he steered me to Flex Your Head. I still have one of the early pressings of that record somewhere. At least one of the earliest to get to Chicago. He was playing in a band called the Antibodies at the time.

Credit to Joe Losurdo on the photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbK627Ufkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

My guy Bill still rockin' hard. I knew he had some more good songs in him. It just took the inspiration of a good woman to bring one out. This is very much what the Sonars sounded like. Don't tune that guitar too much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoJO8LUO3E8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

About fifteen or twenty years ago I was in New York racing a horse and afterward I went out drinking in the Village. I saw a bar with this sign:

I immediately recognized that lake as Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I got into a conversation with the guy who owned the bar, Roscoe Ambel. He was from Lake Geneva and he was impressed that I had recognized the lake on his logo. He is one interesting motherfucker. He played the guitar solo on Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'n' Roll". When he played it he figured he'd just throw something in there for the time being and then go back and record the real solo later, but Kenny Laguna wanted to leave it like it was. Roscoe was like, "Really?"

He also wrote this classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leyu6OWhGg4

I was just listening to Outlaw Country on my way home and Mojo Nixon mentioned that Roscoe produced this awesome song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWKYUZ8ID_c

I looooove country!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Admin

I’m pretty sure the last time I played live on stage was at a bar on Sheffield next to the Vic Theater called Union. They had a shitty Monday open mic run by a guy who called himself Chicago Sleaze. My old bandmate, Kevin Junior and Scott Giampino from Cash Audio were playing up there. In fact, they may have been backing up anyone who wanted to play. I figured I’d go over there and maybe do a couple songs with them. I drove up there with this kid Greg who worked for me and his buddy, Jizz.

This was not the typical audience that I was used to playing for. The best way I could describe it is as a Lincoln Park crowd. We got in there and grabbed a drink. Kevin and Scott were on stage with a couple of other guys. Nobody was paying much attention to the music. Monday Night Football was on. This seems like an odd thing to remember, but I’m almost sure the Steelers were playing. Jizz was a fucking maniac and immediately started throwing back shots and hitting on every chick in the bar.

In between songs, I walked over to Kevin and told him I wanted to play. He was cool with it, but there was a list of guys already signed up. A bunch of dudes went up and played a few songs each. Then Kevin did some of his stuff. The crowd was rude and cheering the football game over the music. I was keeping my eye on Jizz because I didn’t want him to get kicked out before I played.

Finally, Kevin gave me the nod and I got my guitar out. I got up there and found an amp to plug into. I had knocked several back by then and I was feeling really good. There were two douchebags who looked like their names might have been Chad and Ryan sitting right in front of the stage but watching the football game. The sound from the game had actually been on all night. The first thing I did as I was tuning up was yell out, “Turn the fucking sound from the TVs off!” The bartender muted the televisions. That elicited some scattered groans from the crowd and it got Chad and Ryan’s attention. Chad started saying some shit to me. I said, “Shut the fuck up and listen to me.” He replied, “Give us a reason to.”

I told Kevin and Scott I wanted to play “Julia Child” (https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod/julia-child). Kevin and I had played it together a million times and Scott probably knew the song and if he didn’t, he could fake anything on the drum kit anyway. So we cranked that shit up and by the time we hit the chorus the first time I knew I had control of the room. When we finished it was the first time all night I heard sincere applause. Chad and Ryan were actually yelling at me to play another one. I tried to convince Kevin to play “Born to Be Wild” but he refused. One of us suggested “Movin’ On Up (Theme from The Jeffersons)”. We had never played it before but Kevin started playing a slow blues and I sang the first line, “Well we’re movin’ on up, to the East side…” Of course I knew the lyrics from having heard it so many times. We really fucking killed it. The crowd was into it. I wanted to do more, but Chicago Sleaze was motioning to Kevin. I started yelling, “Give it up for Kevin Junior on guitar! Scotty Baby on drums! And everybody say hello to Chicago Sleaze! THERE. HE. IS: CHICAGO SLEEEEEZE!” I think I was embarrassing Kevin who was friends with this guy. He started nudging me off the stage.

Greg had heard a lot of my stories and I’m sure he may have thought they were bullshit, but he was really excited to have seen me play. Jizz pulled open his coat and showed me a half full bottle of Wild Turkey. I was like, “What the fuck?” I said, “Lets’s get out of here.” I packed up my shit quickly and we left. I asked Jizz where he got the booze. He said he grabbed it from behind the bar. We sat in the alley behind the Vic and finished it off.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:21 am 
Site Admin

This is about how I became a punk rocker. Although I don’t really like the term “punk rocker”. A lot of people don’t understand what punk rock is. It really doesn’t have anything to do with a musical style. I mean, Public Enemy is punk rock. Good Charlotte is not.

Anyway, I always hung around with a bunch of guys who were into music. We liked what’s now called classic rock, some of it might have been considered heavy metal back then, stuff like Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, and Alice Cooper. We started smoking weed when we were pretty young, maybe sixth or seventh grade. My friend George’s sister, Evelyn was in high school and she would get it for us. Evelyn had a boyfriend who was a total fuckin’ stoner, crazy long hair, maybe a mustache. We looked up to this goof. He was taking Evelyn to see Rush at the Aragon. He got us tickets and we took the “L” down there from Skokie. Max Webster and Cheap Trick opened the show. We laughed at Cheap Trick. Who the fuck were these guys with that ridiculous looking guitarist and that fat slob on drums?

Later the next summer Van Halen was the big thing. We played the shit out of that first record. My friend Dave had an older brother, Eddie. We hated Eddie and he hated us. We all thought Eddie was a weird kid. Sometimes we sneaked into his room and stole his pot. Dave had to go to Hebrew school. Fuckin’ Eddie didn’t attend temple. When Dave asked his dad why not, he said, “Eddie is a different type of Jewish boy.” The summer we were cranking “Jamie’s Cryin’” and “Runnin’ With The Devil”, Eddie had picked up this record by a band called the Sex Pistols. We thought it sucked. We mocked that shitty band and Eddie mercilessly.

When we got to high school our bad habits intensified. My parents sent me to Catholic school to keep me away from my cretinous friends. It didn’t really work. I got a job as a busboy at Cas & Lou’s restaurant. I quickly got promoted to cook. All the guys I was working with in the kitchen were older, some in their twenties. They would take me drinking with them after work. Now I had new cretinous friends who were old enough to buy booze.

My friend, Willie had begun to play guitar. He had an old acoustic but he didn’t know very much. A girl named Laura Vogel lived around the corner from me and she played the guitar. She taught Willie a few chords and he showed me and another friend, John Ortega. I think John is a brain surgeon now. Around the same time we met this guy, Tom who worked at A&P with another friend of ours. He was way into music and had gone to a lot of concerts. We hit it off right away. He always had on a black concert t-shirt for bands like UFO and Pat Travers. He eventually earned the nickname “Travers” because of one of those t-shirts.

Tom was a drummer. He lived in Rogers Park across from the drum shop owned by Barrett Deems and helped out around the store on occasion in exchange for lessons. Deems had played with Louis Armstrong and had once been considered the world’s fastest drummer. He supposedly played so fast at a gig in South America that it caused a riot. Tom played nothing like him.

We started getting together in John or Willie’s basement and playing simple covers. Stuff like “Good Lovin’” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”. One day we wrote an “original” that was just a basic blues shuffle. In the lyrics, I played the part of an old man with a much younger girlfriend who he couldn’t keep up with in the bedroom. It was called “65 Year Old Heart”. I wish I had a version of it on tape. It was fucking ridiculous. I was doing my idea of an imitation of an old black guy from Mississippi. But I quickly abandoned that. It just didn’t feel sincere. I decided that for better or for worse- and it was probably worse- I was gonna “sing” in my own voice. None of this Mick Jagger minstrelsy bullshit. And no English accents either. To this day I hate when American singers affect English accents. It’s something that has kept me from liking Green Day and Guided By Voices more.

Outside of Who’s Next (Teenage Wasteland, maaaan), I was never that much of a Who fan. But this kid who was in my homeroom and my Spanish class named Bob Hague was an absolute Who fanatic. He talked about them all the time. I somehow lost my book for Spanish class and the teacher, Terry Ehardt, who was a pretty cool guy, let me look on with Hague for the rest of the year without replacing my book. Hague convinced me that the Who were worth further exploration. I became a little consumed with the band myself, especially the early stuff. I played the fuckin’ grooves off Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy.

Our band didn’t have a name yet. Our friends simply referred to us as “the band” (lower case). We would get some guy in his twenties to cop beer for us at the Buy-Low on Howard Street and go down in the basement to jam. A guy Tom knew from Sullivan High School, Steve Hendrix started hanging around and would bring speed on occasion. We would be jumping around like crazy. Willie and I became obsessed with “I Can’t Explain”. We played it constantly. We played it faster than the Who. We were becoming a punk band and we didn’t even know it.

I was tired of messing around with blues scales and I thought I would try to write something more like “I Can’t Explain”. That’s how “Julia Child” came about. Willie loved it and one day he started the song off with the harmonics. It made it seem quirkier and I really liked that.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod/julia-child

I also wrote a song called “Jack the Ripper”. Even in her early teens my sister was fascinated by mass murderers and serial killers. My mom used to joke that we should all sleep with one eye open because we might be living with Lizzie Borden. My sister had a lot of books about these maniacs. I must have read one about Jack the Ripper that inspired me to write the song. Eventually the lyrics focused on one of his victims, an East End prostitute named Long Liz Stride. At the time I was crazy in love with a tall girl named Liz who was dating some douchebag. The song came to be about my frustrations and feelings about her. Who knows how the mind of a fifteen year old boy works. These would come to be the songs the Maggots were built around, but at the time we were just trying to blow off some aggression and make our friends laugh. We never thought about playing an actual live show.

I had saved up the money I didn’t spend on records and the spring after I turned sixteen I bought a ’76 Toyota Celica. We would drive around getting high and yelling shit out the windows at people. This ultimately led to my arrest in Schaumburg with an open bottle of vodka in the car. Afterward, I wrote D.U.I. on my acoustic guitar. It got electrified, louder, and faster and would become a staple of our live set. In fact, it even carried over to Hazardous Youth. [EDIT: I just listened to the song and I realized it was a '69 Nova that I bought from my co-worker at the restaurant, Hugo, that we got busted in on Plum Grove Road (Stereo's blastin', my Nova's unwound/That Schaumburg cop just shut me down). At the time, I think I wanted an American muscle car and the Toyota didn't exactly fit the bill. I think Hugo sold it to me for $600 and let me pay in installments.]

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod/the-maggots-dui

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... outh-d-u-i

Around this time there were a few punk bands starting up in Evanston, the Seismic Waves, the Bloody Nails, among others. These guys would play shows at the Hemenway Church on Chicago and Main. One Friday we decided to go to one. That’s where I saw Articles of Faith for the first time. That show changed my life. I always had the idea about playing in a band, but I just couldn’t really play. Punk rock freed me from those thoughts. I was never going to play like an English rock star, but maybe I could play like one of those Dagos in AoF. Probably not, but we didn’t need to be even that good. There were lots of bands on the scene that weren’t. You just had to have intensity and something to say. All of a sudden it was like, “Hey, we can do this!” When we got back to the basement, we wouldn’t be playing the blues anymore.

Suddenly I understood what Eddie was doing listening to Never Mind The Bollocks a few summers earlier. I had started going to Record City to buy albums every Friday when I got paid. That’s where I met Eric Brockman. He was this little dude with a spiky haircut. I had no idea at the time that he was in a band, but we would talk about music and the newest records that had come in. At first I had been in there looking for bootlegs or the latest classic rock type stuff. Now I gravitated to the punk section. Eric suggested I buy Flex Your Head. I liked the power, but it wasn’t really my thing just yet. There really weren’t any melodies. I started to buy records if I thought they had a cool cover. That’s how I ended up discovering Doggystyle. And Reagan Youth.

Then one day I went in and saw Sorry Ma and I knew it had to be a great record. I took it home and played the whole thing. It was a revelation. It had the power of those punk bands from D.C. and L.A. but there were melodies and classic rock song structures. I was in love.

I realized that I could relate a lot better to some working class kid banging an E chord over and over and singing about shit that I was going through than I could to some millionaire living in a castle and flying on his own private jet, but I still liked bands like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. The audience at these punk shows made a big display of mocking the stuff that was popular on FM radio. The whole idea of a “rock star” was ridiculed. That first time I saw Articles of Faith, Joe Scuderi played the riff to “Dazed and Confused” and the crowd all bowed to him in a show of making fun of the big English rock stars. I didn’t feel that way. I loved Jimmy Page. I vowed that when we got out of the basement (and it didn’t take us long) we wouldn’t have that attitude. But we walked a fine line. The skinheads and punk rockers thought we were making fun of these songs, but we had a sincere love for them. Most people would say Hazardous Youth was a better band than the Maggots. We could certainly play a lot better from a technical standpoint. But when I listen back to this stuff, the Maggots were the real deal. Sixteen and seventeen year olds slashin’ and burnin’. We weren’t fuckin’ poseurs.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... -were-here

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... lotta-love

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:22 am 

I'd like to imagine that 80s JORR would write a song titled "I hope I die before I own a message board".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Here is a an old sticker my guy Juggie still had:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Do you have hyperthymesia?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:

I don't think so. I don't doubt that some details in these stories may be slightly off or that I may have accidently conflated two different events on occasion. This shit happened a long time ago and I was fucked up for a lot of it. There may be others out there who were there who would argue with me that "it didn't happen exactly like that." But they're not writing about it either. At their core these stories are all true.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
is that what mike quadde had?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
is that what mike quadde had?

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
You’re my flamingo
You’re my flamingo

Don't know how I missed this--not bad!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I don't think so. I don't doubt that some details in these stories may be slightly off or that I may have accidently conflated two different events on occasion. This shit happened a long time ago and I was fucked up for a lot of it. There may be others out there who were there who would argue with me that "it didn't happen exactly like that." But they're not writing about it either. At their core these stories are all true.

"Story true," as Tim O'Brien would say (though I think that gives a novelist more latitude to consciously disregard details)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 am 

JORR, have you ever read Hairstyles of the Damned? Sounds like the kid in the book was a few years younger and lived on the kick-ass side of town (SW Side), and it's critics call it "punk light," but you'd like it, if ya ain't read it yet.

Not a masterpiece, but a fun reminder of my teenage years because of the music, because of the Catholic school setting, and because I grew up right there. I taught the writer's brother.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 am 
Site Admin

formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

"Story true," as Tim O'Brien would say (though I think that gives a novelist more latitude to consciously disregard details)

I love Tim O'Brien. I've read his non-fiction account of his time in Vietnam as well as The Things They Carried and I would say the latter, ostensibly fictional, is the "truer" of the two books when it comes to the emotions of the situation. But I guess that's really what The Things They Carried is about rather than Vietnam. I thinking reading the chapter "Good Form" should be a must for any aspiring writer- of fiction or non-fiction.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:55 am 
Site Admin

formerlyknownas wrote:
JORR, have you ever read Hairstyles of the Damned? Sounds like the kid in the book was a few years younger and lived on the kick-ass side of town (SW Side), and it's critics call it "punk light," but you'd like it, if ya ain't read it yet.

Not a masterpiece, but a fun reminder of my teenage years because of the music, because of the Catholic school setting, and because I grew up right there. I taught the writer's brother.

I haven't read it, but I did go to see my friend Julia act in one of Joe Meno's plays.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:58 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I love Tim O'Brien. I've read his non-fiction account of his time in Vietnam as well as The Things They Carried and I would say the latter, ostensibly fictional, is the "truer" of the two books when it comes to the emotions of the situation. But I guess that's really what The Things They Carried is about rather than Vietnam. I thinking reading the chapter "Good Form" should be a must for any aspiring writer- of fiction or non-fiction.

Nailed it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I knew JORR when he used to smoke some pole.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
This is about how I became a punk rocker. Although I don’t really like the term “punk rocker”. A lot of people don’t understand what punk rock is. It really doesn’t have anything to do with a musical style. I mean, Public Enemy is punk rock. Good Charlotte is not.

Anyway, I always hung around with a bunch of guys who were into music. We liked what’s now called classic rock, some of it might have been considered heavy metal back then, stuff like Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, and Alice Cooper. We started smoking weed when we were pretty young, maybe sixth or seventh grade. My friend George’s sister, Evelyn was in high school and she would get it for us. Evelyn had a boyfriend who was a total fuckin’ stoner, crazy long hair, maybe a mustache. We looked up to this goof. He was taking Evelyn to see Rush at the Aragon. He got us tickets and we took the “L” down there from Skokie. Max Webster and Cheap Trick opened the show. We laughed at Cheap Trick. Who the fuck were these guys with that ridiculous looking guitarist and that fat slob on drums?

Later the next summer Van Halen was the big thing. We played the shit out of that first record. My friend Dave had an older brother, Eddie. We hated Eddie and he hated us. We all thought Eddie was a weird kid. Sometimes we sneaked into his room and stole his pot. Dave had to go to Hebrew school. Fuckin’ Eddie didn’t attend temple. When Dave asked his dad why not, he said, “Eddie is a different type of Jewish boy.” The summer we were cranking “Jamie’s Cryin’” and “Runnin’ With The Devil”, Eddie had picked up this record by a band called the Sex Pistols. We thought it sucked. We mocked that shitty band and Eddie mercilessly.

When we got to high school our bad habits intensified. My parents sent me to Catholic school to keep me away from my cretinous friends. It didn’t really work. I got a job as a busboy at Cas & Lou’s restaurant. I quickly got promoted to cook. All the guys I was working with in the kitchen were older, some in their twenties. They would take me drinking with them after work. Now I had new cretinous friends who were old enough to buy booze.

My friend, Willie had begun to play guitar. He had an old acoustic but he didn’t know very much. A girl named Laura Vogel lived around the corner from me and she played the guitar. She taught Willie a few chords and he showed me and another friend, John Ortega. I think John is a brain surgeon now. Around the same time we met this guy, Tom who worked at A&P with another friend of ours. He was way into music and had gone to a lot of concerts. We hit it off right away. He always had on a black concert t-shirt for bands like UFO and Pat Travers. He eventually earned the nickname “Travers” because of one of those t-shirts.

Tom was a drummer. He lived in Rogers Park across from the drum shop owned by Barrett Deems and helped out around the store on occasion in exchange for lessons. Deems had played with Louis Armstrong and had once been considered the world’s fastest drummer. He supposedly played so fast at a gig in South America that it caused a riot. Tom played nothing like him.

We started getting together in John or Willie’s basement and playing simple covers. Stuff like “Good Lovin’” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”. One day we wrote an “original” that was just a basic blues shuffle. In the lyrics, I played the part of an old man with a much younger girlfriend who he couldn’t keep up with in the bedroom. It was called “65 Year Old Heart”. I wish I had a version of it on tape. It was fucking ridiculous. I was doing my idea of an imitation of an old black guy from Mississippi. But I quickly abandoned that. It just didn’t feel sincere. I decided that for better or for worse- and it was probably worse- I was gonna “sing” in my own voice. None of this nut Jagger minstrelsy bullshit. And no English accents either. To this day I hate when American singers affect English accents. It’s something that has kept me from liking Green Day and Guided By Voices more.

Outside of Who’s Next (Teenage Wasteland, maaaan), I was never that much of a Who fan. But this kid who was in my homeroom and my Spanish class named Bob Hague was an absolute Who fanatic. He talked about them all the time. I somehow lost my book for Spanish class and the teacher, Terry Ehardt, who was a pretty cool guy, let me look on with Hague for the rest of the year without replacing my book. Hague convinced me that the Who were worth further exploration. I became a little consumed with the band myself, especially the early stuff. I played the fuckin’ grooves off Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy.

Our band didn’t have a name yet. Our friends simply referred to us as “the band” (lower case). We would get some guy in his twenties to cop beer for us at the Buy-Low on Howard Street and go down in the basement to jam. A guy Tom knew from Sullivan High School, Steve Hendrix started hanging around and would bring speed on occasion. We would be jumping around like crazy. Willie and I became obsessed with “I Can’t Explain”. We played it constantly. We played it faster than the Who. We were becoming a punk band and we didn’t even know it.

I was tired of messing around with blues scales and I thought I would try to write something more like “I Can’t Explain”. That’s how “Julia Child” came about. Willie loved it and one day he started the song off with the harmonics. It made it seem quirkier and I really liked that.

I also wrote a song called “Jack the Ripper”. Even in her early teens my sister was fascinated by mass murderers and serial killers. My mom used to joke that we should all sleep with one eye open because we might be living with Lizzie Borden. My sister had a lot of books about these maniacs. I must have read one about Jack the Ripper that inspired me to write the song. Eventually the lyrics focused on one of his victims, an East End prostitute named Long Liz Stride. At the time I was crazy in love with a tall girl named Liz who was dating some douchebag. The song came to be about my frustrations and feelings about her. Who knows how the mind of a fifteen year old boy works. These would come to be the songs the Maggots were built around, but at the time we were just trying to blow off some aggression and make our friends laugh. We never thought about playing an actual live show.

I had saved up the money I didn’t spend on records and the spring after I turned sixteen I bought a ’76 Toyota Celica. We would drive around getting high and yelling shit out the windows at people. This ultimately led to my arrest in Schaumburg with an open bottle of vodka in the car. Afterward, I wrote D.U.I. on my acoustic guitar. It got electrified, louder, and faster and would become a staple of our live set. In fact, it even carried over to Hazardous Youth. [EDIT: I just listened to the song and I realized it was a '69 Nova that I bought from my co-worker at the restaurant, Hugo, that we got busted in on Plum Grove Road (Stereo's blastin', my Nova's unwound/That Schaumburg cop just shut me down). At the time, I think I wanted an American muscle car and the Toyota didn't exactly fit the bill. I think Hugo sold it to me for $600 and let me pay in installments.]

Around this time there were a few punk bands starting up in Evanston, the Seismic Waves, the Bloody Nails, among others. These guys would play shows at the Hemenway Church on Chicago and Main. One Friday we decided to go to one. That’s where I saw Articles of Faith for the first time. That show changed my life. I always had the idea about playing in a band, but I just couldn’t really play. Punk rock freed me from those thoughts. I was never going to play like an English rock star, but maybe I could play like one of those Dagos in AoF. Probably not, but we didn’t need to be even that good. There were lots of bands on the scene that weren’t. You just had to have intensity and something to say. All of a sudden it was like, “Hey, we can do this!” When we got back to the basement, we wouldn’t be playing the blues anymore.

Suddenly I understood what Eddie was doing listening to Never Mind The Bollocks a few summers earlier. I had started going to Record City to buy albums every Friday when I got paid. That’s where I met Eric Brockman. He was this little dude with a spiky haircut. I had no idea at the time that he was in a band, but we would talk about music and the newest records that had come in. At first I had been in there looking for bootlegs or the latest classic rock type stuff. Now I gravitated to the punk section. Eric suggested I buy Flex Your Head. I liked the power, but it wasn’t really my thing just yet. There really weren’t any melodies. I started to buy records if I thought they had a cool cover. That’s how I ended up discovering Doggystyle. And Reagan Youth.

Then one day I went in and saw Sorry Ma and I knew it had to be a great record. I took it home and played the whole thing. It was a revelation. It had the power of those punk bands from D.C. and L.A. but there were melodies and classic rock song structures. I was in love.

I realized that I could relate a lot better to some working class kid banging an E chord over and over and singing about shit that I was going through than I could to some millionaire living in a castle and flying on his own private jet, but I still liked bands like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. The audience at these punk shows made a big display of mocking the stuff that was popular on FM radio. The whole idea of a “rock star” was ridiculed. That first time I saw Articles of Faith, Joe Scuderi played the riff to “Dazed and Confused” and the crowd all bowed to him in a show of making fun of the big English rock stars. I didn’t feel that way. I loved Jimmy Page. I vowed that when we got out of the basement (and it didn’t take us long) we wouldn’t have that attitude. But we walked a fine line. The skinheads and punk rockers thought we were making fun of these songs, but we had a sincere love for them. Most people would say Hazardous Youth was a better band than the Maggots. We could certainly play a lot better from a technical standpoint. But when I listen back to this stuff, the Maggots were the real deal. Sixteen and seventeen year olds slashin’ and burnin’. We weren’t fuckin’ poseurs.

I find the precious punk nostalgia to be fascinating. I kind of wish I was 10 years older. If somebody ever writes the definitive history of punk it should ironically be titled "We weren't fuckin' poseurs--no really, we weren't! I swear!" (emphasis on the U).

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

DannyB wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

We started getting together in John or Willie’s basement and playing simple covers. Stuff like “Good Lovin’” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”. One day we wrote an “original” that was just a basic blues shuffle. In the lyrics, I played the part of an old man with a much younger girlfriend who he couldn’t keep up with in the bedroom. It was called “65 Year Old Heart”. I wish I had a version of it on tape. It was fucking ridiculous. I was doing my idea of an imitation of an old black guy from Mississippi. But I quickly abandoned that. It just didn’t feel sincere. I decided that for better or for worse- and it was probably worse- I was gonna “sing” in my own voice. None of this nut Jagger minstrelsy bullshit. And no English accents either. To this day I hate when American singers affect English accents. It’s something that has kept me from liking Green Day and Guided By Voices more.

I find the precious punk nostalgia to be fascinating. I kind of wish I was 10 years older. If somebody ever writes the definitive history of punk it should ironically be titled "We weren't fuckin' poseurs--no really, we weren't! I swear!" (emphasis on the U).

:lol: That hurts, Danny B!

There is some truth to what you say. But if guys like me don't tell these "precious" stories, who will? We're a small group. We don't enjoy a gigantic myth-making apparatus like the Baby Boomers do. You probably don't consider their bullshit "precious" because it's been the default for so long.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
You know, that sounded way snarkier than it was meant to be. I really have wished that I was 10 years younger and I really do love the stories--I love them--bear in mind that I came of age on hair metal. Yet every generation thinks that their nostalgia is less precious than the others' when in fact it's all equally precious. The pseudo-nihlism that kind of defined the whole punk aesthetic (heh) can't be maintained by people within normal psychological limits no matter how much Meister Brau and late 70s ditchweed they ingested. "When I'm not professing nihlism with my dudes, I'm memorizing the back of Amos Otis' baseball card."

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

DannyB wrote:
"When I'm not professing nihilism with my dudes, I'm memorizing the back of Amos Otis' baseball card."

That pretty much encapsulates my existence as a teenager. And it sort comes back around to Spaulding's question about my memory. I've always had an extremely sharp memory. It used to be a real asset but in the age of Google it doesn't mean nearly as much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next