It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Just wanted to read what you you hardcore music guys have to say about this self absorbed, no good music making (solo career), over the hill limey. I am modern musically challenged. Hell, I haven't heard of 80% of what you guys discuss, but I like reading about it.

BERLIN (Reuters) - Sting said contemporary rock music is so stagnant that he prefers to sing 16th century English ballads.

The former teacher who shot to fame as lead singer, bassist and composer in the 1970s and 80s for The Police told German newspaper Die Zeit that he prefers singing songs of Elizabethan lutenist and composer John Dowland to the rock music of today.

His album of Dowland lute music "Songs from the Labyrinth" has topped classical charts on both sides of the Atlantic and entered the UK album chart at No. 24.

"Rock music has come to a standstill -- it's not going forward any more, it only bores me," Die Zeit quoted Sting as saying.

The 55-year-old singer, real name Gordon Sumner, had a string of hits with The Police with songs like "Roxanne" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me". He has since also had a lucrative solo career with songs like "Englishman in New York".

"Forty years ago it was my dream to break out of Newcastle and never be poor again," he told the magazine.

"I'm very privileged. I'm a successful musician, live in a beautiful house, and have a wonderful family."

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
I've hated him ever since he broke up the Police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:21 am 
1000 CLUB

I hate when older acts come out and say shit like this. They always look like some washed up has-been who is just jealous they didn't have the longevity, and want to move a few more units. There is no quantifiable evidence to support any assertion to this, so you are better off shutting up.

And is there anything more pretentious than saying you are much more a fan of a 17th Century composer? Oh yeah - its saying you are a fan of a 17th Century composer while adding that you are disgustingly rich. Go Fuck yourself, and do another duet with Diddy or whatever he's calling himself these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:35 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
the truth is that our tastes change over time. your ears get bored with the same crap. i highly doubt i'll be anticipating the latest "blood hammer" or whomever metal band when i'm 60.
it could happen, but....we'll see.
although apparently Mac Sucks is a WWII vet....which would make him around 80ish...and he know who slipknot is......so...
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
While I absolutely loved The Police's work, between Sting and Stewart Copeland, their egos would put Hawk and Steve Stone's to shame.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:51 am 

Sting can go and tantric screw himself.
This is the same pompous douche bag who thought that rerecording his songs in French was an original concept.
Now keep in mind that I’m nowhere as hard core as some of the guys posting here. Over 15 years I’ve traded in Slipknot, Dream Theater, and Fear Factory for the likes of Wilco, Ryan Adams and Ike Reilly Assassination, but if you’re telling me that Sufjan Stevens “Come On Feel the Illinoise” is, in Sting’s words:
"Rock music that has come to a standstill -- it's not going forward any more, it only bores me,"
you’re just being ignorant.

I don’t even know how to try to describe it. It’s just way out there.
You might not like it, but I dare you to say that it’s not original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:25 am 
1000 CLUB

Pete Townshend made a similar comment. He said that he wouldn't pay to The Who even with their new material, "I'm not into aging rock groups," he said. Okay, Pete, then why should we go see you? Go back to doing questionable things on the internets and don't make yourself look stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

LBJ, Pete said he wouldn't pay to see himself, it's very hypocritical, but he did point that out.

I hate these awful arguments that theirs no good music out their. Their is more good music then ever and their are more ways to find good new music then ever. radio, satelite radio, the internet, countless magazines, zines and free weekly papers like the Reader. If you live in a little hick town, yeah it's tough. But all these people in major citys that complain about "rock being dead" and all that other bullshit are just lazy. I've heard a few brilliant albums this year, quite a few that were great and a countless amount of good ones. Not to mention all the great singles I've heard in a slow singles year. If your looking for music that might be similar to bands that you like I would check out allmusic.com, probably the most comprhensive music site on the web. Also, pandora.com, is awesome. Type in a band you like and they will start playing full songs, for free from other artists that are similar, if you like a song, give it thumbs up and it will play more that are similar. Dislike a song, thumbs down and it will play less of that type. I have found a few great bands through that site and it stores all your information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
Lebron James's Hummer wrote:
Go back to doing questionable things on the internet

That was, ahem, "research."

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI