It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:16 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lara Monday, I think? She's whispering into my ear as I try to sleep. It's an interesting change of pace.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Back in the 90s the only way I knew it was time to put down the coke spoon and the Scotch bottle on Sunday night and head in to work on Monday morning was when I heard Ken Sumka play Lloyd Cole's "Pay For It".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:45 pm 

FMT and XRT are both going to hit a cliff where all their DJs retire or die in, like, a month.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Curious Hair wrote:
FMT and XRT are both going to hit a cliff where all their DJs retire or die in, like, a month.

:?:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 am 

Oh, just that they've both had the same on-air people for like forever, I'm pretty sure.

Listening again. She said she might play some Tindersticks "one of these days." I hope I'm awake for that! I'd geek out like I've never geeked out before if a Tindersticks song came through my radio. Yeah, I can listen to any of their albums whenever, but it's different to know you're not the only one!

I want to check out the other freeform stations (though how freeform can you be when you're required to play new bad Pearl Jam). Can anyone vouch for WZRD?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Can anyone vouch for WZRD?

The thing about college radio is that it varies wildly depending on the DJs. Actually, many of these kids seem as if they're training themselves to speak in the XRT monotone. But it's great when you find DJs who share your tastes. WLUW used to have a great show called Stephen In The Evening hosted by a guy named Mike Stephen. I haven't heard him in a long, long while, but I'll try to find him left of the dial.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Was a big WLUW listener back in the day. Great station,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Lara Monday, I think? She's whispering into my ear as I try to sleep. It's an interesting change of pace.

Yeah I heard her this morning on the drive to work. She's so relaxing I almost drove into the Fox river and felt compelled to ask the chick behind the counter at the mini mart where I get my coffee if she would mind if I could suckle her tit for about 5 minutes. Can't wait to hear her again.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:38 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
She's so relaxing I almost drove into the Fox river and felt compelled to ask the chick behind the counter at the mini mart where I get my coffee if she would mind if I could suckle her tit for about 5 minutes.

Being a regular customer has its perks, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Back in the 90s the only way I knew it was time to put down the coke spoon and the Scotch bottle on Sunday night and head in to work on Monday morning was when I heard Ken Sumka play Lloyd Cole's "Pay For It".

And pay for it you did, JORR.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
If mitch wasn't such a pussy then the candyman would be the new overnight dj on xrt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:30 am 

I wouldn't mind if he did some weekend shifts as long as he didn't play any fucking Poi Dog Pondering.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:16 am 

Just referred to U2's 1991 album as "atch-tongue baby." I wasn't sure what she said at first, then I laughed out loud.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 pm 

I don't think she's there anymore :(. Now it's a guy named Ryan Arnold, through whose bio I have discovered that Columbia, Missouri, of all places, has a Bizarro-Universe XRT. Right down to "Live from Studio X," a heavy-set female DJ in middays, and a fixation on Wilco. This kind of bothers me for reasons I can't put a finger on. Maybe because I could have looked for work there when I was down around Jeff City and chased my radio dream.

ImageImage

uncanny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:39 am 

I don't know who this Emma Mac is, but what a cute voice. I hope she doesn't feel obligated to play Primitive Radio Gods' one song every time she's on.

EDIT: hahahahahaha quick check of the playlist says I just missed "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight fucking Oil at 4:19. Welcome aboard. Welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:43 am 
Site Admin

I ran into Lara Mondae's page on Facebook. I think she's a friend of a friend. Anyway, it said she also worked at Big Star and Violet Hour. That radio gig must not pay too well. Also, I figured she was some young kid, but it looks like she's well into her 30s at least. There was a pic of her with Sumka and a couple other guys captioned "WCBR DJs". Did WCBR broadcast on 92.7 as "Chicago's Bear"? I seem to vaguely remember that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:52 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't know who this Emma Mac is, but what a cute voice. I hope she doesn't feel obligated to play Primitive Radio Gods' one song every time she's on.

EDIT: hahahahahaha quick check of the playlist says I just missed "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight fucking Oil at 4:19. Welcome aboard. Welcome aboard.

I heard her this morning too. She makes Lara Mondae sound like Mully. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:

Off her WXRT bio:

Quote:
Top 5 Bands
5. [lastfm]Arcade Fire[/lastfm]
4. [lastfm]My Morning Jacket[/lastfm]
3. [lastfm]Pixies[/lastfm]
2. [lastfm]Talking Heads[/lastfm]
1. [lastfm]Wilco[/lastfm]

Top 5 Albums
5. Funeral – [lastfm]Arcade Fire[/lastfm]
4. Surfer Rosa – [lastfm]Pixies[/lastfm]
3. Stop Making Sense – [lastfm]Talking Heads[/lastfm]
2. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot – [lastfm]Wilco[/lastfm]
1. The White Album – [lastfm]The Beatles[/lastfm]

She'll fit in :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I ran into Lara Mondae's page on Facebook. I think she's a friend of a friend. Anyway, it said she also worked at Big Star and Violet Hour. That radio gig must not pay too well. Also, I figured she was some young kid, but it looks like she's well into her 30s at least. There was a pic of her with Sumka and a couple other guys captioned "WCBR DJs". Did WCBR broadcast on 92.7 as "Chicago's Bear"? I seem to vaguely remember that.

The Bear!!!!!!!!! Arlington Heights. My band played "Live at Lunch" on the air many moons ago. Pretty sure I called in for a contest at 6 something in the morning one day and won 2 tix to see Jeff Buckley at Metro, the show that was released on dvd, also met Buckley that night. He was short. I miss him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Curious Hair wrote:

ASMR: http://youtu.be/3yYvGfDduhk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
She looks unclean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, if you do some digging, there are some pretty interesting articles on WCBR when they were positioning themselves as an outside threat, as it were, to XRT and Q101. I think there was one where Norm Winer was pissed that a station was playing a surfeit of Counting Crows two clicks down the dial. At the end of the day, they just couldn't overcome that their stick was in Arlington Heights. I wish I had thought to listen to them as a kid; I was always aware that the Bear existed because we'd drive past the station all the time, but I was a stupid child and only liked B96.

EDIT: who am I kidding? Like I would have been into Juliana Hatfield as an eight-year-old.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:10 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, if you do some digging, there are some pretty interesting articles on WCBR when they were positioning themselves as an outside threat, as it were, to XRT and Q101. At the end of the day, they just couldn't overcome that their stick was in Arlington Heights. I wish I had thought to listen to them as a kid; I was always aware that the Bear existed because we'd drive past the station all the time, but I was a stupid child and only liked B96.

Dude I haven't been this disappointed since I found out there's no Santa Claus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:14 pm 

B96 circa 1995 was at least a pretty unique station relative to most top 40 stations around the country, and the hip-hop/R&B then was better than it is now. Can't take anything away from Boyz II Men!

I kept reading that Frankie Hollywood Rodriguez was doing mixes on i101. I never listened, though.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:15 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Just referred to U2's 1991 album as "atch-tongue baby." I wasn't sure what she said at first, then I laughed out loud.

Best Album Ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:17 pm 

It's not even the best U2 album ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
A.B. and War were my two favorites when I still paid attention to those guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:22 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It's not even the best U2 album ever.

We've already had this argument. I won.

Enjoy your Red Hill Mining Town. Ill take Until the End of the World, thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:23 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
A.B. and War were my two favorites when I still paid attention to those guys.

He's one of these Joshua Tree guys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 pm 

Pretty sure I've said their best album is War.