It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:27 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Pretty sure I've said their best album is War.

Even worse.

I define all three albums as classics, so ya know, rock on, MacPhisto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Achtung and War decimate Joshua.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:30 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Surrender" actually manages to synthesize little bits of the preceding songs, if you listen for it. There's the cowbell from "Red Light," the little ringing guitar lick from "Drowning Man," stuff like that. It's the only all-killer-no-filler album U2 ever managed. Even The Joshua Tree craps out in the middle.

I love Achtung Baby, too, but I for the life of me do not get why "One" is treated like the greatest U2 song ever. "Ultraviolet" and "Acrobat" are terrific.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
"Surrender" actually manages to synthesize little bits of the preceding songs, if you listen for it. There's the cowbell from "Red Light," the little ringing guitar lick from "Drowning Man," stuff like that. It's the only all-killer-no-filler album U2 ever managed. Even The Joshua Tree craps out in the middle.

I cant imagine what you think the low point on AB is.

I mean, Love is Blindness, is a little much but a fitting end. Every song is perfect, imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:34 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

"So Cruel." Between the songs it's between, which I love, I find it rather plodding.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I ran into Lara Mondae's page on Facebook. I think she's a friend of a friend. Anyway, it said she also worked at Big Star and Violet Hour. That radio gig must not pay too well. Also, I figured she was some young kid, but it looks like she's well into her 30s at least. There was a pic of her with Sumka and a couple other guys captioned "WCBR DJs". Did WCBR broadcast on 92.7 as "Chicago's Bear"? I seem to vaguely remember that.

Yeah, if you do some digging, there are some pretty interesting articles on WCBR when they were positioning themselves as an outside threat, as it were, to XRT and Q101. I think there was one where Norm Winer was pissed that a station was playing a surfeit of Counting Crows two clicks down the dial. At the end of the day, they just couldn't overcome that their stick was in Arlington Heights. I wish I had thought to listen to them as a kid; I was always aware that the Bear existed because we'd drive past the station all the time, but I was a stupid child and only liked B96.

EDIT: who am I kidding? Like I would have been into Juliana Hatfield as an eight-year-old.

I remember B96 had a segment called "Smash or Trash?" where they played a new song and based off of call-ins they'd keep playing it or trash it. Presumably it'd be song they didn't think much of, so if it got trashed they wouldn't be missing anything. Lo and behold, (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party) was on it and it got trashed. They started playing it again pretty soon after.

Last edited by KDdidit on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:42 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

"So Cruel." Between the songs it's between, which I love, I find it rather plodding.

Oh, man I love that song.

Had some real good teenage angst fueled self pity parties to that one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Curious Hair wrote:
It's not even the best U2 album ever.

Yes it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:27 pm 

You've been lookin' for a fight with me for some time now, shirtless driver.

Anyway, here's a nugget of WCBR:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am 

She's on again, and remembered to pot up her mic this time.

So hey W_Z, did your guy Ryan Arnold get moved up to 9-midnight? Because he was playing the best stuff overnights and maybe won't be able to do that now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
She's on again, and remembered to pot up her mic this time.

So hey W_Z, did your guy Ryan Arnold get moved up to 9-midnight? Because he was playing the best stuff overnights and maybe won't be able to do that now.

Ill be in car in a few minutes. Ill be sure to tune in.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:28 am 

The dulcet tones of Lara Mondae greeting us early risers this morning. Her PSA read about poaching was pure gold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:53 pm 

So this morning about 410 or so, Lara Mondae played One Tree Hill by U2. She might want to have a little better musical knowledge however . She started back announcing it and didn't realize that song has a faux finish. Got thru a sentence or 2 and here comes
Bono again to finish the last 20 seconds of the song . Oops .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:05 pm 
This thread is full of win :salut:

Yeah Frankie was doing some stuff on i101. So were Schommer and 2KC and Bobby D. They all still do a bunch of club work. Schommer and (crap can't remember who the other name guy is) are starting to do a DJ podcast as well.

CH a question though. You got excited for Beds are Burning? That one's on all the time. Now if she was playing stuff off Blue Sky Mining, then I would be impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
CH a question though. You got excited for Beds are Burning? That one's on all the time.

NO. That needs to be retired, along with "What I Am," "Is She Really Going Out With Him?", and "Back on the Chain Gang."

I hear Norm Winer pulling down airshifts every once in a blue moon and I always think he of all people would be the one to really dig deep and play some great '70s post-punk or something, but his playlists seem to be heavier on tired-out station darlings than anyone's. One thing leads to another and another and another, evidently.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
"The Unforgettable Fire" is such a killer tune. Thank you random cab driver for rocking the FM.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:04 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Midnight Oil's catalog is so great, I could name 20 better songs than Beds Are Burning off the top of my head.
Amazing live band as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 am 

"And then on Sunday night we have Local Anesthetic, which has...local...bands. And that's on at, uh, seven o'clock or...um...I'm just lost in this spot here. No, it's 7:30."

Heard last night:
"I really want to play some fun music. Here's 'Heroes.'" *plays song about postwar Berlin*

Lara Mondae is the coolest, though. The schedule should just be her, Jason Thomas, and Norm Winer, and no one will ever speak a sentence that can be properly diagrammed. Definitely gets to play better music than the daytimers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:49 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
"And then on Sunday night we have Local Anesthetic, which has...local...bands. And that's on at, uh, seven o'clock or...um...I'm just lost in this spot here. No, it's 7:30."

Heard last night:
"I really want to play some fun music. Here's 'Heroes.'" *plays song about postwar Berlin*

Lara Mondae is the coolest, though. The schedule should just be her, Jason Thomas, and Norm Winer, and no one will ever speak a sentence that can be properly diagrammed. Definitely gets to play better music than the daytimers.

:lol: Did you hear shortly after that she was announcing who was going to be featured on the Sunday night concert. Its The Swell Season featuring Glen Hansard and Marketa ummm,errrr, I can't pronounce her last name. :lol: She's kinda bad at her job in a charmingly clueless way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Heard last night:

:lol: Did you hear shortly after that she was announcing who was going to be featured on the Sunday night concert. Its The Swell Season featuring Glen Hansard and Marketa ummm,errrr, I can't pronounce her last name. :lol: She's kinda bad at her job in a charmingly clueless way.

She's no Laura Taylor, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Heard last night:

Yeah, but everyone there is like that (except Frank E. Lee and Tom Marker). I think everyone's just high all the time.

When she started I heard her refer to Shostakovich as "Shoskavotch." And a show up in Jefferson Park at Copper-Neekus Hall. Doesn't matter, though; great taste, great voice. Anyone who likes Tindersticks is fine by me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:21 am 

So today's Lara Mondae adventures in broadcasting was her read for tomorrow on new music Thursday and how she enjoys it so much that she can't wait till tomorrow to hear it. Ummm Lara, I know its early when you do those reads but cmon , there's no need to extend the week any longer than it already is. Today is Thursday sweetheart , so that day you're so looking forward to is today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:58 am 

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt: they still count Thursday-to-Friday overnight as New Music Thursday, I think.

Still the best overnight host in the rotation. And like I was saying, at least she didn't shit her chair!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:13 am 

You are definitely the president of the Lara Mondae ALS / apologist group Mr Hair.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:34 am 

You said her voice made you want to suckle a convenience store clerk's tit!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:41 am 

Shoutout to Emma Mac for a conceptual set of "Don't Touch Me There," "Creep," "Violent Shiver," and "King of Pain." 50 Shades is on everyone's mind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:35 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Curious Hair wrote:
Shoutout to Emma Mac for a conceptual set of "Don't Touch Me There," "Creep," "Violent Shiver," and "King of Pain." 50 Shades is on everyone's mind.

Damn! They couldnt squeeze "New Sensation" by INXS in there???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:49 am 

"Here's something interesting about Lou Reed, or Lewis Allen Reed. He was married to Laurie Anderson, so that means they had the same initials, LAR -- that's, of course, if her name was Laurie Anderson-Reed."

I got out of bed to document this. I'm laughing really hard. Lara Mondae and the Grobber would be fast friends.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:20 pm 

Just want to say that if these budget cuts at CBS cost me Lara Mondae and Emma Mac whispering into my ears, I'll be upset.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:48 am 

I know their seemingly perpetual demise is a running joke in Chicago radio, but wow, they're really going down the tubes with all these lame-ass sweepers. What is Mitch thinking?

And every time I put this station on, "Fever" is playing. Enough!