It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
fuck the bullshit let's do this right!

one be lo - unparalleled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:49 pm 

i'm gonna toss in a bonus one for the first day of this because YOU PEOPLE NEED QUALITY RAP MUSIC IN YOUR LIFE!

kool keith - get off my elevator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:26 am 

gotta dedicate this one to spmack and i think after this i'll leave it at that cuz i believe i have communicated my message re: keep on poking me with a stick and see why i have genuine empathy for adrian peterson.

aceyalone - the hunt

and while we're on the topic of the greatest rapper to ever walk the earth (who remembers spmack saying "thats enough sini" when i said pharoahe monch is the greatest rapper in new york today? #opinionsimnotallowedtohave) hey there's one more song that's strangely apropos to this situation...

aceyalone - gimme five feet

wow i love that line "dont be tappin me on the shoulders or pattin me on the back" --- you listening goff?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
https://youtu.be/SCWwi5eYGgs

Just like the old days, huh sini?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 am 

IMU wrote:
Just like the old days, huh sini?

first verse on this one nails my thoughts on this board's "hiphop fans"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:52 am 

I'm actually a Murs fan. Or was, back when I listened to hip hop. Think I mentioned that in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:58 am 

IMU wrote:
I'm actually a Murs fan. Or was, back when I listened to hip hop. Think I mentioned that in the past.

murs is an egotistical prick IRL for what its worth. i've had promotional people confirm that to me, and my own personal experience was him in a hotel hallway bustin on my friend's kenneth cole leather zipper shoes like "so you're a burrito right?" so i started clowning him like OH MARS I KNOW YOU MARS DUDE YOU'RE LITERALLY A LIVING LEGEND OH MY GOD YOU GET TO RAP WITH THE SAVVY TRAVELER HIMSELF, SCARUB!!!! WHATS HE LIKE IN REAL LIFE DUDE PLZ TELL ME ABOUT SCARUB!!!!!

oh yeah he left in a huff. i didnt worship the ground he walked on, after all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:16 am 

If you listen to musicians for anything other than their music, you're doing it wrong.

I would hate most of the people in the bands I listen to, I would guess.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:28 am 

IMU wrote:
If you listen to musicians for anything other than their music, you're doing it wrong.

I would hate most of the people in the bands I listen to, I would guess.

obviously you're right, however i like to think that even moreso than proper band lyricism rapping strips everything down to the rapper being the product/instrument/brand/etc... it's a total reflection of who you are and how you interface with life/reality/society/etc.... cuz unless you're str8up playing a character you're really putting yourself out there like that.

in my experience, people who make rap that i really truly love are people i can get along with well because its like i know them before i ever met them, you know what i'm saying? obviously your mileage may very and you obviously HAVE to be egotistical to rap in the first place.... just don't be a prick about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:45 pm 

for everyone with a hot hatch out there

atmosphere - free or dead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Sini,

Give me your thoughts on Cannibal Ox. I dig em, though I realize they're not for everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQfnveH5D14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:10 pm 

double M,

el-p is one of those dudes who i need to be way more up on then i am. i've known about company flow, can ox, and of course solo el-p and most recently run the jewels for years now. obviously el-p is a hell of a producer and when he rhymes he goes out there with some lyrical content and yeah i've been aware of the guy for years. he has this cut with my guys latyrx that was on the quannum spectrum compilation back in the day. i've got a cannibal oxtrumentals CD with some of those beats that i've definitely gotten right to and kicked some frees on over the years.

this is a dope track right here. the beat has a wonderful sense of atmosphere about it, just a twinge of that dare-i-say trademark el-p style and as previously stated jaime (like i know him, ha) AHEM el-p can flow. i can't wait til i get my shot together and i get to know the guy cuz once i figure my shit out mannnnn there's gonna be so much dopeness going on everyone's gonna think i'm a dopehead.

OH WAIT A MINUTE. LOL.

yeah love that little do do do da synth stabbery on top of some not fucking around boombap beats., and this is definitely a style of rapping i can get behind cuz man fuck five i want a hundred and eight man! i can totally relate to that. and like i said i've been sleeping on el-p/c-flow/canox/rtj/etc so i'mma load up on slsk before bed tonight thanks to your reminder double M.

thanks for your contribution/s man... there's a reason when i picked my 4s to run against team-not-CH you were on the team. i dont know you at all but i know that you could run with my team dude when you're the dude droppin can ox in the hiphop thread =D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:32 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
double M,

el-p is one of those dudes who i need to be way more up on then i am. i've known about company flow, can ox, and of course solo el-p and most recently run the jewels for years now. obviously el-p is a hell of a producer and when he rhymes he goes out there with some lyrical content and yeah i've been aware of the guy for years. he has this cut with my guys latyrx that was on the quannum spectrum compilation back in the day. i've got a cannibal oxtrumentals CD with some of those beats that i've definitely gotten right to and kicked some frees on over the years.

this is a dope track right here. the beat has a wonderful sense of atmosphere about it, just a twinge of that dare-i-say trademark el-p style and as previously stated jaime (like i know him, ha) AHEM el-p can flow. i can't wait til i get my shot together and i get to know the guy cuz once i figure my shit out mannnnn there's gonna be so much dopeness going on everyone's gonna think i'm a dopehead.

OH WAIT A MINUTE. LOL.

yeah love that little do do do da synth stabbery on top of some not fucking around boombap beats., and this is definitely a style of rapping i can get behind cuz man fuck five i want a hundred and eight man! i can totally relate to that. and like i said i've been sleeping on el-p/c-flow/canox/rtj/etc so i'mma load up on slsk before bed tonight thanks to your reminder double M.

thanks for your contribution/s man... there's a reason when i picked my 4s to run against team-not-CH you were on the team. i dont know you at all but i know that you could run with my team dude when you're the dude droppin can ox in the hiphop thread =D

My good friend, who knows everything about Rap (I'm a kid from the late 80's - 90's so it'll always be rap to me) put me up on them. He's also a big supporter of Company Flow.

I remember reading about El-P back in The Source magazine days. Guy was always, and I mean always considered the best unsigned/independent rapper out there. Check out this track from Company Flow....

Patriotism

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:22 am 

yeah dude, i've always said "you can't hiphop into a microphone" so i call it rap music at the core. the etymology of the term "rappin" (AFAIK) dates back to the 70s african american culture where when you went up to someone (usually female) and "spat your game" you were "rappin" with them, and seeing as a staple of rap is the "I'M THE SHIT AND YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS" song, that's totally in line with the classic origins of the term.

anyways on to listening to your track with my coffee/pastry here and trying to think up something good for today. keep em coming double M cuz lord knows i'd love this thread to be a repository of quality rap for the wayward soul as opposed to LOL LOOK AT SINI TRY TO SHOW OFF HOW MUCH HE THINKS HE KNOWS RAP.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:44 am 

From the Way-Back machine it's RA The Rugged Man, A.K.A. Crustified Dibbs with....

Stanley Kubrick

This is one interesting rap story. Highly recommended reading and listening if you have the time. RA claims he was blackballed by Def Jam and Method Man agrees something was up.
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.30295/title.method-man-recalls-def-jam-blackballing-r-a-the-rugged-man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:54 am 

oh yeah i remember reading that awhile ago.... fuckin a dude cuz ra is indeed rugged.

so here's one that i can say comes from someone who i'm pretty damn sure is down with ra, and this song features some of the greatest lisp-hop known to man. that's right, hide the women ship off the kids and call your favorite self-respecting wigger cuz it's time for....

copywrite - holier than thou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:57 am 

and hey matches, remember deep puddle dynamics?

deep puddle dynamics - heavy ceiling

dose one was in.... shit was it scribble jam 97 finals with eminem and chicago's very own juice? when i do my impression of his voice i'm known as MC ten stripped

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:09 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
and hey matches, remember deep puddle dynamics?

deep puddle dynamics - heavy ceiling

dose one was in.... shit was it scribble jam 97 finals with eminem and chicago's very own juice? when i do my impression of his voice i'm known as MC ten stripped

I've honestly never heard of them before. Just clicking around, "Rainmen" sounds pretty dope.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:12 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
I've honestly never heard of them before. Just clicking around, "Rainmen" sounds pretty dope.

yeah it's slug of atmosphere, dose one of "them" (him and the producer jel) / cloudDEAD and uhhh..... eyedea (RIP?) idk i'd have to look it up >>> Sole, Doseone, Alias and Slug. aha there we go. how could i forget about alias (idk who he is) and sole who i remember from a magazine interview with a big headline like IT DOESNT HAVE TO FUCKING RHYME OK?!?!

speaking of cloudDEAD, you know they played a festival in edinburgh or something and after their set two non-assuming scottish dudes come up to them like "hi we're boards of canada and we loved your set. can we do a remix?" and they were like HELL YEAH!!!!

cloudDEAD - dead dogs two (boards of canada rmx)

and OOOOOH I GOT ONE FOR YOU! now i'm the resident aceyalone jockrider around these parts, and uhhh well i think you'd fucking love the first album he abstract rude and myka 9 did as their group haiku d'etat. the first self titled LP has production by a bunch of bay area musicians so it's all live band stuff and some of these tracks could stand on their own..... this one right here is my favorite.

haiku d'etat - non compos mentis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:56 am 

Im sucker for the blends of old beats and dead rappers.

Tons of good ones but this one I just accidentally DL'd and it works well. It's a simple pop rap beat, but I love it and its stuck in my head currently

Here we go noooowww...

Feel My Flow- Big L, Biggie, 2Pac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:03 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im sucker for the blends of old beats and dead rappers.

Tons of good ones but this one I just accidentally DL'd and it works well. It's a simple pop rap beat, but I love it and its stuck in my head currently

Here we go noooowww...

Feel My Flow- Big L, Biggie, 2Pac

That's a good mash-up right there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:46 pm 

From circa 97-98 comes Camp Lo. I thought these guys were going to be huge. From the "Uptown Saturday Night" album, heres....

Black Connection

I highly recommend checking out the whole album. It's worth your time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:44 am 

One of my favorites from back in 90's. Loved this song. It sounds so "chill" and effortless. It's Souls of Mischief with...

93 Til' Infinity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:47 am 

Nice on the last two, MM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:57 am 

let's keep it early 90s.... so when i think of quintessential early 90s sound i think of del's first album "i wish my brother george was here" and while it'd be easy to do mistadobalina or dr. bombay, let's go a little deeper than that

del the funky homosapien - pissin on your steps

btw, i wish my brother george was here is one of two rap EPs/LPs with the dude rockin an expos hat on the cover. can you name the other? here's a hint, i always said of the dude if you walked around listening to his music all day it'd be the soundtrack to loving yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:07 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
let's keep it early 90s.... so when i think of quintessential early 90s sound i think of del's first album "i wish my brother george was here" and while it'd be easy to do mistadobalina or dr. bombay, let's go a little deeper than that

btw, i wish my brother george was here is one of two rap EPs/LPs with the dude rockin an expos hat on the cover. can you name the other? here's a hint, i always said of the dude if you walked around listening to his music all day it'd be the soundtrack to loving yourself.

Is that a reference to positivity and self esteem or having a big out of control ego?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am 

sinicalypse wrote:

Top 5 rap name ever

Who wins the family BBQ ciphers? Cube or Del?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:14 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
Is that a reference to positivity and self esteem or having a big out of control ego?

you tell me...

craig mack - flava in ya ear

yeah it's the flava in your ear (remix?) 12" where craig mack has the expos hat rocked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:16 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

pfft.... i wont even dignify that with a direct response cuz even tho this recent epoch of "sir dzl" slower raps aint much, dude, comeon.

now here's a fun del song.... this is basically his whole deltron 3030 gimmick in one song, as i think he made this for whatever compilation and was like "hey i can make a whole LP out of this concept" and then he got a hold of automator and the rest is history.

del - cyberpunks

edit: i almost freaked out and had to upload the good ol SD50 b-boy mix cuz i didnt think it was on youtube but i found it at the last second.

del - made in america (SD50 b-boy mix)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

pfft.... i wont even dignify that with a direct response

Fine, but Cube was good at one point.