It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WDCB rolling thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Don't know whether anyone else has checked it out, but the Infinite Groove show they do on Fri/Sat overnights is pretty cool. Good mix of jazz, funk, hip-hop, electronic -- anything with a groove, I guess.

Been on a jazz kick this week. The station makes better company than the Score. Fewer commercials, and about the same level of sports talk in afternoons.

Post subject: Re: WDCB rolling thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I had one of these threads a few years ago. Enjoy the station but can't get it downtown. Concerned that the shit going down at the college of dupage might bring the end of these guys? some of the fraud was at the station.

most other big cities can support a jazz station. not chicago, we like Styx better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:34 am 

Nah, I don't think the station would be allowed to go dark or be sold or anything. Unlike WFMT, it's non-commercial band, so it's not worth anything to corporations. I would assume that in a worst-case scenario where CoD can't fund the station anymore, WFMT or WBEZ would be Good Guy Greg and keep jazz on the air, but I doubt it'll ever come to that. With a local FM dial that's bursting at the seams with 87.7 stuck on the end and phony translators anywhere people can fit them, it's hard to imagine a good-not-great signal being dark.

I wish they could swap signals with the Moody Bible Institute at 90.1. They have 100,000 watts and it's wasted on FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Anyway, caught some Infinite Groove last night, heard the girl version of "Rapper's Delight" and then woke up to the sounds of Gil Scott-Heron. Good deal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:11 pm 

If you're tired of Patrick Kane talk, the Jammin' Jazz show they do on Wednesday nights at 10 could be a fun respite.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
If you're tired of Patrick Kane talk, the Jammin' Jazz show they do on Wednesday nights at 10 could be a fun respite.

That is an accurate statement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I was in a taxi downtown this morning and the cabbie had it on the radio. Signal was very clear, almost to the point where I was wondering if he was streaming it.

Not a type of music I listen to a lot, but for 8 minutes in a taxi it was pleasant, and I tipped the driver an extra buck for having it on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:36 pm 

I like their morning guy. Chicago radio needs more English accents. Barry Winograd from XRT Sunday nights does middays.

The only bad show they have is that Midwest Ballroom on Saturday afternoons. I don't mind big band music in and of itself, four-year alumnus of the high school jazz ensemble here, but the host is some cranky old man who always sticks in these weird editorials about how today's music is just noise and people should pull up their pants.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Is Musical Starstreams still on the air somewhere?

If not, bring it back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:06 pm 

Aw, John Burnett is retiring next week! I'll miss my British-American buddy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
one time I sent him an email complementing his music selections. never heard back from him. jackass.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
holy shit.... i didnt see this thread b4 so i checked out the playlist for the last "infinite groove" and what do i see as like the 2nd or 3rd song they play?

12:11 AM Paragraph President Blackalicious Blazing Arrow

wtf? these motherfuckers are digging into my vinyl collection! now this isn't the ORIGINAL paragraph president off of the radio sole mixtape, but this is an actual song and technically much much better

i'll have to try and remember to give it a shot if i'm up later. man whenever i buy provolone cheese i often go "hit you with the funk like who cut the provolone? government officials put taps on my mobile phone" and suffice to say people like to look at me weird =D

edit: awwww shit look at how they go to start and close out the show

05:34 AM Black Market Weather Report Black Market

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:06 pm 

Infinite Groove plays a Fela Kuti jam every week at 5 in the morning. Heard this a few weeks ago. I'm hardly unfamiliar with the work of Fela Kuti, but this blew my mind to bits.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Magliozzi's
Hatchetman wrote:
I had one of these threads a few years ago. Enjoy the station but can't get it downtown. Concerned that the shit going down at the college of dupage might bring the end of these guys? some of the fraud was at the station.

most other big cities can support a jazz station. not chicago, we like Styx better.

That's hard to believe. We even have a full time jazz station here in Cedar Rapids somehow. I only change the station these days for a Cubs game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:51 pm 

WBEZ used to have a lot of jazz programming but Torey Malatia of This American Life fame cancelled it all to go all-news/public affairs. Conversely, I think WDCB used to be more all over the place but only solidified into an all-jazz station after 'BEZ abandoned it. (Or almost all-jazz, they inherited old-time radio on Saturday afternoons from the old WNIB and there's some folk/roots/Grateful Dead stuff in evenings sometimes.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:07 am 

HOLY FUCK YEAH they're playing Deodato's "Also Sprach Zarathustra," famously used in one of my favorite movies ever, Being There! A groove worthy of infinity right here. Love it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:16 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
HOLY FUCK YEAH they're playing Deodato's "Also Sprach Zarathustra," famously used in one of my favorite movies ever, Being There! A groove worthy of infinity right here. Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgzJ4QyMTLg

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:13 am 

i heard my guy aceyalone when i listened last night....

12:23 AM GB In Your Life The Good Brothers The Good Brothers

maybe they play an underground rap god or two early in the show to try and hook people like me?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:21 am 

Maybe. The four o'clock hour was awesome, though:

De La Soul - "Me, Myself, and I"
Souls of Mischief - "Cab Fare" (it's the theme from Taxi, you see!)
Bob James - "Look Alike"
Eric B and Rakim - "I Ain't No Joke"
Le Pamplemousse - "Le Spank"
Little Sister - "You're the One"
Crown Heights Affair - "Dreaming a Dream"
Con Funk Shun - "Chase Me"

And then later, the Fela Kuti track was "Lady," which like so much Fela Kuti, seems simple and formulaic but just knocks your socks off anyway. His stuff is so good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:28 pm 

"Orion" during Notes from the Jazz Underground? I'm not arguing, but

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:25 pm 

hey CH, what hiphop have you bought over the years? idk if you collect vinyl, CDs, or even buy music digitally..... but i'm compelled to wonder (and not in a denisdmanian way) just what hiphop has made the grade in the eclectic musical world of one curious hair.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:31 pm 

Ridiculously little. Songs I heard on Top 40 radio from 1993-2001, some De La Soul, some Fugees. I know I should try harder, but I'm stretched thin as it is with alternative, jazz, classical, electronic, soul/R&B. I'm sure To Pimp a Butterfly is the masterpiece of a generation, but I'll just have to take everyone's word for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:52 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Ridiculously little. Songs I heard on Top 40 radio from 1993-2001, some De La Soul, some Fugees. I know I should try harder, but I'm stretched thin as it is with alternative, jazz, classical, electronic, soul/R&B. I'm sure To Pimp a Butterfly is the masterpiece of a generation, but I'll just have to take everyone's word for it.

that sarcasm in the last sentence is why you're still able to get outs via locating pitches even when ppl claim that you might have lost a little bit off of your posting fastball.... nicely done!

TPAB is basically a throwback to a quality 90s underground/ish rap record when hiphop as a whole was better. it's got nothing on something transcendental like aceyalone's "a book of human language"

hey CH, if you have some time go acquire "a book of human language" and throw it on your music device and give it a whirl.... you can thank me later (hell, i'll even hook it up and throw a rar or individual mp3s on my filehost if you want) --- for my $$$ that's far and away the best rap album ever made....

spmack wrote:
enough sini

and it just takes you away for an hour of songs with actual meaning.... no commercial/pop-cultural references or disses or banality.... it's an attempt at a bonafide work of art through the hiphop medium.... and as the guy who got me into hiphop told me about aceyalone when i started listening to him: "anything i can say about aceyalone is an understatement"

not to mention the production is jazzy as hell and as i've been saying, you can learn something about life from that album. hearing that around age 18-19 when i was first getting into rap = why aceyalone was is and always will be the goat, even if his latest album is technically just electronic fluff..... the guy deserves to try and cash in and make a few bucks, even if the end result isn't necessarily as good start to finish as his last "electronic" album lightning strikes.

but trust me dude, give a book of human language a whirl sometime and idk if you'll agree with me that it's the GOAT, but i know you'll think it's pretty fucking good. i mean here, i wont even take one of the "big" songs off of it (cuz faces is prolly the best all around song off of it... it got the 12"/single for a reason) but check out this song right here CH...this is the litmus test.... if you listen to this and you think "man i can't fuck with that" then i'm totally off base... but i think you can appreciate an album filled with songs like this one (let alone the fabulous "the faces")

THIS HAS BEEN YOUR DAILY PSA OF ACEYALONE JOCKRIDING FROM YA BOY SNOCKALPISS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:06 pm 

Either I hallucinated or they just gave a top-of-the-hour legal identification with "WRTE Chicago" added to "WDCB Glen Ellyn." Could it be? Jazz on a radio station licensed to the city of Chicago?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Curious Hair wrote:
Either I hallucinated or they just gave a top-of-the-hour legal identification with "WRTE Chicago" added to "WDCB Glen Ellyn." Could it be? Jazz on a radio station licensed to the city of Chicago?

WRTE is part of the WBEZ empire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:01 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

WRTE is part of the WBEZ empire.

Yeah, it's been a translator for Vocalo, which was supposed to be the black/Mexican alternative to lily-white WBEZ, but the main Vocalo station is all the way out in Chesterton, which doesn't exactly help the cause.

But nope, I'm not hearing things: "you're listening to Chicago's home for jazz, 90.9 FM, WDCB Glen Ellyn, online at wdcb.org, and 90.7 FM, WRTE Chicago." So there you have it. Maybe Vocalo is on the way out. It was Torey Malatia's baby and he's long gone.

Reliable coverage appears to be roughly Fullerton Avenue to the north, 39th Street to the south, Central Park/Conservatory Avenue to the west. Not a lot of real estate, but a lot of population density. 90.9 appears to start fading out at the western city limits. Good for DCB.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
If you're in the city 90.7 carries WDCB at night and on weekends and its crystal clear. I've found this station has a soothing effect on whacked out drunks and the early morning "GOTTA CATCH THIS FLIGHT SPEED UP" crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:00 pm 

I think it's a 24/7 simulcast now, but I haven't seen Feder, Press Release, or the weird Chicago Media Chat board bring it up. You'd think they'd be on that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:42 pm 

They are killing it tonight on Notes from the Jazz Underground. He's just playing whatever and it's all great.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:46 pm 

Yeah, I like Notes from the Jazz Underground a lot. Probably the best of their 7-mid programming, which is hit or miss (the Celtic folk bullshit that seemingly no public radio station can do without is a biiiiiiiiig miss).

Matthew Hermes played some really cool Randy Brecker on the overnight last night that I really need to track down. "Night in Calisia"? Also, he's not really doing the schticky overnight-jock voice like some male Alison Nightbird Steele anymore, which helps immensely, because sometimes it's a bit much.

EDIT: another cool song I found on 'DCB recently, if you're willing to download from the dark world of mp3 sites with Cyrillic characters in them, is "Stretch" by Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke, and Bireli Lagrene. I need more Jean-Luc Ponty.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:11 am 

They screwed up the bleep and "go fuck yourself with a vacuum cleaner" got on air.