It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: King Mo
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:38 pm 

What's everyones thoughts on King Mo signing with TNA and Bellator today? Mo, Dixie, and the Bellator guy will appear on the MMA show on Spike at 10pm tonight

Post subject: Re: King Mo
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
schmitty1121 wrote:
What's everyones thoughts on King Mo signing with TNA and Bellator today? Mo, Dixie, and the Bellator guy will appear on the MMA show on Spike at 10pm tonight

I'm still trying to figure out how Mo, who has no history of anything shady, gets suspended for a year while Overeem gets 9 months.

I AGREE with Vince Russo in that you should always book something topical that the kids are into. Whether that's Raven as the grunge guy, 3 count as a boy band, jersey shore guys now, etc. MMA has been pretty over since 2005-06 and Vince still hasn't brought back an mma guy like he had with Severn and Shamrock. I think that's a big mistake.

As far as Mo, I love it. He's an awesome talker and has loved pro rasslin since he was a kid. I think he'd have more of a passion for it rather than a recruited bodybuilder. Too bad its TNA and not WWE. Barnett does both and he's awesome at both.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:19 pm 

Spike, Bellator and TNA held a press conference today to announce the signing of "King" Mo Lawal. There wasn't much to it other than Mo will be going to OVW to start training as a pro wrestler at some point this summer, but first has to rehab his knee that he had surgery after surgery on so far this year due to a staph infection that nearly killed him.

The plan is not for him to be introduced on TV immediately on TNA, although the signing will be a focal point of MMA Uncensored Live tonight with Mo on (there was a hint Dixie Carter may be on as well, but that wasn't made clear). Mo will also be in Atlantic City tomorrow night on the Bellator show, being introduced and maybe doing commentary.

Carter said she kept this a secret from everyone in TNA (which must thrill the creative side if true) and that the only people who have talked about angles are her and Mo, who does have a fertile mind for this kind of stuff. From the Bellator standpoint, the plan is to hold a light heavyweight tournament starting in January on Spike with Mo in it. A healthy Mo, which is the key, is several classes above the light heavyweights in Bellator and he'd likely beat current champion Christian M'Pumbu, but will need to win a three-match tournament to get the title shot.

He does talk well and have natural charisma, has obvious athletic gifts and is also a pro wrestling fan. But you never know how anyone who has never done it will adapt to it, plus it's a lock he's going to be rushed onto TV before he's ready and pushed really hard. Even Kurt Angle, who was as much of a natural as anyone of the last 20 years, trained for about a year before being brought up and Brock Lesnar took 18 months.

With Mo, the idea is to do it within a few months and TNA standards for unproven talent getting over are very difficult. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you'll need the right adaptation (which he could have), the right knowledge of the game (which he could pick up), the right creative, really smart agents to lay out his matches, and the right first opponent or he could make a bad impression being green right out of the box.

Expect a "Before there was Bo, now there's Mo" type of promotional campaign on Spike, which is behind the deal. The idea is to make him a crossover star, which would mean Spike would give him other platforms, whether a reality show, hosting a show, etc. to build his name.

Carter and Bjorn Rebney had talked since Bellator went on MTV about someone who could do both. By that point, the obvious choice in Bobby Lashley was already gone from TNA.

Regarding the question of the possibility of Bellator in 2013 moving to 10 p.m. on Thursday after Impact (which moves to 8 p.m. next month), that question was asked a few times and they didn't answer it past that the time slot of Bellator hasn't been decided and it's something they constantly talk about. It really makes the most sense because Friday has proven to be a bad night for MMA.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Bob Loblaw wrote:
MMA has been pretty over since 2005-06 and Vince still hasn't brought back an mma guy like he had with Severn and Shamrock. I think that's a big mistake.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:43 pm 

^outside of the obvious exception. Brock is highest grossing wrestling and mma ppv draw of all time so its a no brainer for Vince. I mean he should bring in Rampage, Chael guys like that.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:19 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Would I, as an MMA-only fan, think of Brock doing WWE dates, as omigosh, that's something new and exciting? Or do I think, yeah, he came from wrestling, and now he's going back...

What MMA has: matches where the loser gets hurt, goes away for at least a month. Maybe lying prone on the mat. Giving credence to the thought that so-and-so going to kill the other guy. And that's kinda what you don't get in wrestling. Someone does a stretcher job, they drench him in ketchup and wheel him away. (You do your best not to notice the paramedics are Pat Patterson & Sgt Slaughter. Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard...) And the schmoe shows up on the next date. Or maybe comes back and interfere in a later match...

No finality. Not even a pretense of a finality (which MMA does provide.)