It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WWE Netflix showcases
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
While browsing through netflix I noticed they have a lot of the career showcases of a lot of their stars, but also a lot of their Top 10/50 etc, etc. I decided to give it a whirl and watched the ones that were centered on Stone Cold Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels, and the Hart/Michaels feud.

What I found most interesting of all is that in all of them it was very open and honest about the business and didn't try to insult anyone's intelligence. There was no blatant censoring of things said against the company/nies, as I had expected, and they pretty much let it all hang out. I had figured most of these would've been glorified highlight reels with these guys shooting in character about this match/that match, but nope - just the actual human beings talking about both sides of kayfabe and the life.

The Hart/Michaels thing was especially entertaining, considering that it was HBK, Bret, and JR all in a room discussing it all, primarily the screwjob at some length. I was a huge wrestling fan from 1993-2004, so the Bret/HBK rivalry was the keystone faceoff for me, HBK being my favorite of all time. It was very refreshing to hear them talk about the screwjob together instead of just cutting from one separate interview to another, and what surprised me most of all was that Bret actually swallowed his pride and admitted to taking some responsibility in the whole fiasco, something I never would've expected him to do.

Regardless, from that stuff to Austin's feature especially, he spoke very candidly about his walkout and his regrets towards the latter half of his career. One thing that I noticed very quickly when they began running down the legendary McMahon/Austin rivalry was just how long it lasted and how they kept upping the ante every time. As a teenage wrestling nerd that rivalry never felt hokey or goofy, it was sure funny as hell, but I never felt it jumped the shark. However, if you condense all of them into a 20 minute period, you get to see that really it was quite monotonous. If I was an older more scrutinous fan at the time I may have gotten bored with the pattern.

I also recommend you watch the History of WCW, which is also available. I think we all know the ins and outs of what caused it's downfall, but even so there's a lot about that company that either I didn't know or had completely forgotten. It was very interesting to hear the wrestlers speak out with such venom about the undoing of the creative angles with Russo and ultimately David Arquette as a champion. The doc did a great job showing viewers who may be new to wrestling about What Not To Do As A Wrestling Promoter, primarily focusing on the Goldberg/Hogan match on Nitro.

There's also "Behind the Mat" available but that's likely been discussed ad nauseam.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Those are all outstanding selections. My Netflix must think I'm a horrible wrestling fan. I've already watched the good stuff a few times, so I only end up watching Rey Mysterio and Big Show offerings.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
For what its worth I was at a used cd/dvd shop (Disc Replay) and they had tons of wwe, tna, ufc dvd's for $2-$5.

The 3 disc macho set from last year was $5 and the bret vs hbk was $3. Well worth looking into if you're a collector.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.