It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMA News thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
reents wrote:
Brian Stann out of UFC on FOX 4 with an injured shoulder.

Scrap that whole freaking card now. Who are they going to get to headline vs Hector Lombard? I would say Bisping if he wasn't stuck in a meaningless fight vs Tim Boetch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Reading some of the comments, people are with your thinking CHris and going with Bisping. Just give Boesch another opponent.

Somebody suggested moving the Machida/Bader fight to main event.

Whatever they do, it needs to be something big, because they need a good Fox rating here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:17 am 

Lol, Shogun vs Vera, wtf. This is going to headline UFC on Fox 4. Vera can barely hold a job in the UFC, and you're going to have him headline this card? They better cancel the ppv Shogun was suppose to be on, that thing is garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:09 am 

Bisping is now out of his fight, and Lombard is taking his spot. This is really getting ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
I seriously thought Brandon Vera was on the MMA indy circuit these days. I'm also calling bullshit on some of these injuries. I'm guessing some of the failed their at home drug tests and fake an injury so they don't fail their legit tests and get suspended. I've been led to believe (by who I don't remember, but some fighter in an interview) it happens all the time.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:08 pm 

Looks like UFC will feature Dos Santos/Cain 2 and Penn/MacDonald at UFC 152. Also, GSP/Condit and Hendricks/Kampman for UFC 154.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:06 pm 

On the injury thing, and I could be wrong here, but didn't they give these guys insurance and that could be what's going on.

After there was talk of it, one of the Commentaors on ESPN, Franklin Mcneil I think, said with these guys having insurance now, they can take their time coming back from injuries and won't have to fight injured.

It could be after years of fighting, there's some nagging injuries, didn't heal properly, do one thing wrong and now it's worse, just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:34 pm 

UFC 148's Faber-Barao title fight moves to UFC 149 after Jose Aldo has to pull out of the main event.

UFC 148 was looking like an all time stacked card but now it looks like one of those cards that is a one fight card with Silva and Sonnen.

Nobody gives a flying fuck about Griffin vs Ortiz 3(or 2 for that matter).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:45 pm 

Man, the UFC can't catch a break. They will have quite the string of bad PPVs. Guess there's been rumors of Silva having a knee injury. White denied these reports last night. White also said that their meeting with Brock was probably their worst meeting they have ever had with him. Wouldn't go into detail about it, but said they haven't talked since. White also went on to take shots at Shogun for dodging Glover and taking the Vera fight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
Frank Mir this past week was revealed as the latest fighter approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a therapeutic use exemption for testosterone.
Mir, 33, claimed he started using the therapy in January, and informed the commission on 3/27. That was the day of the surprise test of six heavyweights at a UFC press conference that led to Alistair Overeem failing a test and being pulled out of his main event heavyweight title fight with Junior Dos Santos. Mir, who didn’t fail his test, ironically, got the spot, but lost via second round stoppage.

The Mir situation is the most perplexing to date. Mir’s massive weight gain in 2009 after his loss to Brock Lesnar (he gained 40 pounds in a short period of time, not all of that was muscle, but a lot of it was in going on a powerlifting and strength regime after feeling it was not having the power to deal with Lesnar that led to his loss) would seem to belie any idea that he was suffering from low testosterone. Gaining appreciable muscle by a mature hard training athlete would seem to be nearly impossible from someone suffering from low testosterone, and not be all that easy for a mature athlete in such a cardio-based sport without performance enhancing drugs to begin with. In the case of Mir, he never failed a steroid test.

Unlike Shane Roller, Dan Henderson and Chael Sonnen, who are three of the other four athletes approved for TRT in Nevada in the history of MMA in the state, Mir has not been cutting weight for two or more decades. The other three, since childhood, were high level youth wrestlers, who went up the ladder staying in the sport through high school, college, international and then MMA competition. Mir has competed as a heavyweight his entire career and was even a heavyweight in his high school wrestling days.

But he took numerous tests during the period applying and must have shown low natural testosterone, and when supplemented, his level fell into normal range. Kizer noted that even though a testosterone/epitestosterone urine test may not be relevant for someone on a TUE, that Mir came up normal in both blood and urine tests taken 5/26 and 5/27. Mir also took a handful of serum testosterone blood tests leading into the fight. Mir was bigger, at 261 pounds, than he had fought at in most of his fights, but he had cut to make 265 against Cheick Kongo in 2009. Whatever help the therapy provided, he was too slow to compete with Dos Santos.

Even though testosterone supplementation has gotten a lot of news this year with the issues with Sonnen and Quinton Jackson (who was approved for use by the UFC for his losing fight with Ryan Bader in February in a UFC-regulated show in Japan), Kizer noted that the expected floodgates have not opened.
Kizer noted that Mir and Sonnen have been the only athletes approved for TUE’s this year. Several others have been turned down in recent years for a variety of reasons, including in different cases, fighters whose testosterone levels may have been low, but were not abnormally low, a fighter who used the therapy and his testosterone levels while on therapy were well above maximum, and in at least one case, an athlete whose doctors did not cooperate or come across as credible. The idea is the supplemented level of testosterone is supposed to take you from dangerously low levels to normal levels, and not low levels to above average or to the top limit allowable.

Sonnen’s approval was conditional upon passing all his tests leading into and out of the 7/7 fight with Anderson Silva. He said that nobody else had applied. Kizer still maintains that nobody will get approval for a TUE if they have damaged their own production due to usage of steroids, but it’s currently impossible to determine what is the cause of low testosterone and why it seems so prevalent with MMA fighters. Sonnen claimed under oath that he had never taken steroids other than the testosterone in conjunction with his TUE dating back to 2008.

Dr. Timothy Trainor, the sports medicine doctor the Nevada commission used in the Sonnen case, is attempting to do research with endocrinologists to determine if years of weight cutting and/or head blows leads to do low testosterone production. Both have been theorized, the former for years, but nothing has been proven. Still, NFL players take blows to the head and get repeated concussions, and the NFL has allowed less than ten testosterone TUE’s in the last 22 seasons.

But Kizer does expect the number of requests to increase based on things that happened this year, notably that more fighters are aware of the procedure and he expects more will have their levels tested.

But the issue of fighters needing it has become even more complex. The idea of needing testosterone supplementation is because you have endocrine damage that doesn’t allow you to naturally produce the hormone. However, Roller, Nate Marquardt and Sean McCorkle have all publicly admitted usage, and have stopped using because of the hassle of dealing with commission requirements. Roller and Marquardt stated it was simply too much of a hassle to comply with what the commission needed. Roller said that he didn’t feel any different on it. Marquardt, who got fired because he abused the therapy and was not allowed to fight in a television main event, was insistent he needed it when the walls came crashing down. But now he’s fighting Tyron Woodley on 7/14 and not using. McCorkle claimed in a message board post some time back that he stopped using when he came to UFC.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 pm 

Ariel tweeting that USA Today is reporting Frank Mir will fight Cormier in the last HW Strikeforce fight, Sept 29th. Gilbert will also be defending his title against Healy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm 

That fight has just now been pushed back to Oct or November. Frank Mir is going to get killed by DC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:31 pm 

Gracie just released a statement on his website saying that Nick Diaz is back training harder than ever and ready to fight again. Diaz wants to fight Anderson Silva either at a catch weight or he will go up to 185. Gracie is scheduled to meet with White on August 6th to discuss this and other things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:08 pm 

Diaz has to wait until Feb 4 regardless. Fucking pothead (Diaz).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:16 pm 

Dana White announced today that the winner of the fight this Saturday's main event on Fox will be the new number 1 contender to the light heavyweight title(Brandon Vera vs Shogun Rua). Um OK?

They better hope to God Henderson beats Jon Jones on Sept 1 or at least has a fight for the ages that makes a rematch between Jones/Hendo possible. No one wants to see Jon Jones fight Shogun again after he destroyed him back in March. Even worse for the UFC would be if Vera wins. Jon Jones fucked Vera up so bad Vera should have quit the sport a few years ago. The 205lbs division isn't a weak field it's just the fact that it's champion is so dominant.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Dana White announced today that the winner of the fight this Saturday's main event on Fox will be the new number 1 contender to the light heavyweight title(Brandon Vera vs Shogun Rua). Um OK?

They better hope to God Henderson beats Jon Jones on Sept 1 or at least has a fight for the ages that makes a rematch between Jones/Hendo possible. No one wants to see Jon Jones fight Shogun again after he destroyed him back in March. Even worse for the UFC would be if Vera wins. Jon Jones fucked Vera up so bad Vera should have quit the sport a few years ago. The 205lbs division isn't a weak field it's just the fact that it's champion is so dominant.

That "UFC on FOX" card is in the network's own backyard, STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, this Saturday night @ 7P.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:17 pm 

I'm with you Chris, not to sure about White's announcement. Vera isn't even close to deserving a title shot, and really shouldn't even be main eventing any card. I agree that Jones killed Shogun last time, but I think he would be a lot better in a rematch. Supposedly Shogun said he didn't train hard for Jones the first time, because he thought he was just a punk. Shogun was really out of shape, so I guess it's possible. I really don't see Henderson winning. I think Jones knocks him out early.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:29 pm 

schmitty1121 wrote:
I'm with you Chris, not to sure about White's announcement. Vera isn't even close to deserving a title shot, and really shouldn't even be main eventing any card. I agree that Jones killed Shogun last time, but I think he would be a lot better in a rematch. Supposedly Shogun said he didn't train hard for Jones the first time, because he thought he was just a punk. Shogun was really out of shape, so I guess it's possible. I really don't see Henderson winning. I think Jones knocks him out early.

I think you have your quotes wrong. I know Vera called him a punk, maybe Shogun did too. Either way he whooped both their asses pretty easy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:34 am 

Some news from the presser last night:

Cung Le vs Franklin in China
Rory McDonald is out of the Penn fight. Has asked for it to be moved to 154, but Penn wants 153.
Dos Santos has told the UFC he doesn't want to fight Cain right now, he wants Overrem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:17 pm 

hiram wrote:
Why does Dos Santos not want to fight the Cain?

Because alot of these guys get paid on the PPV buys that they wind up doing. I don't think Dos Santos wants to risk not being able to make that BIG money with Overreem.

I know it sounds stupid but that's my only guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:00 pm 

Koscheck is out of his fight with Ellenberger at 151, with a back injury. No work yet on a replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
Rumor has it that Anderson Silva is considering a move down to 170.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:54 am 

Some notes coming out of last night:

UFC has a date for Henderson/Diaz, but won't say. White said it will happen before the end of the year.

Dos Santos and Cain will happen, most likely in December.

Penn and Rory is still happening, and if it happens on Fox, it won't be the main event. They already have the Fox 5 main event, just need to get it signed.

Anderson won't be fighting again this year. Sounds like if GSP wins, they will finally make Silva/GSP happen.

UFC has settled on Wandy's next fight, guessing it's win or go home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 pm 

Sonnen just announced he will be fighting Forrest on Dec 29th. I'm guessing this will be Forrest's retirement fight, as he will probably get killed. Sonnen thinks this fight will earn him a title shot, nice try.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm 

Henderson out of fight, UFC 151 cancelled

Now Jones will fight Lyota Machida at UFC 152.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm 

Heard some of the audio from Dana today, he is beyond pissed at Jones and Greg Jackson. Several fighters refused to take on Jones with 8 days notice, but Sonnen said yes, and Jones refused. He said he has never had a champ refuse to fight someone on short notice, a new low for the company. Jackson told him it would be the biggest mistake in his career. White called Jackson a fucking sport killer. White also went in on Jones, calling him selfish. Also said that he was against the UFC sponsoring Jones recently. Sounds like Jones will have a lot to do to get back in good graces. The whole card has been cancelled. Sonnen even offered to give Jones his whole purse, and said that he would have lots of weight to cut in the 8 days, but that he would make the limit. Personally, I lost a lot of respect for Jones today. I'm not a Sonnen fan, but the guys has talked lots of shit and was willing to fight on short notice. It's obvious that Jones is more interested in being a celebrity, rather than being a fighter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm 

schmitty1121 wrote:
Heard some of the audio from Dana today, he is beyond pissed at Jones and Greg Jackson. Several fighters refused to take on Jones with 8 days notice, but Sonnen said yes, and Jones refused. He said he has never had a champ refuse to fight someone on short notice, a new low for the company. Jackson told him it would be the biggest mistake in his career. White called Jackson a fucking sport killer. White also went in on Jones, calling him selfish. Also said that he was against the UFC sponsoring Jones recently. Sounds like Jones will have a lot to do to get back in good graces. The whole card has been cancelled. Sonnen even offered to give Jones his whole purse, and said that he would have lots of weight to cut in the 8 days, but that he would make the limit. Personally, I lost a lot of respect for Jones today. I'm not a Sonnen fan, but the guys has talked lots of shit and was willing to fight on short notice. It's obvious that Jones is more interested in being a celebrity, rather than being a fighter.

There is no way enough can be said as to what a chicken shit pussy Jon Jones looks like in this situation. He would be fighting a guy that is not in shape and that has been calling him out for the last 2 weeks. Jon said a few weeks ago that he didn't want to fight Machida again because it doesn't make sense finacially for him as his last fight vs Machida was the lowest PPV draw for him. Well what do you think a fight that would take place agaisnt Chael Sonnen would do for you? Chael is coming off one of the biggest PPV's for the UFC ever so the man really does know how to sell a PPV. The thing about that is, it would benefit Jon Jones even more than a PPV with Dan Henderson would. You put the UFC hype machine in to full blast and you have 9 days to promote a Jones/Sonnen fight that would be an absolute beatdown in Jones' favor but fans would want to see it, because of the smack talk and the hype.

OK so Jones wants to pass on this, and now he has pretty much all the fighters that were on the UFC 151 card pissed off at him. Say he has a disagreement at Jackson's camp and splits. Where is he going to go from there? He'll be shunned like the plague.

Fans that bought tickets? Sure they are going to be refunded for the event, but what about those fans that are flying into Vegas for the weekend that want paid for their non refundable airline tickets? Fuck them too right? I suppose so Champ.

Then there's Dana White. Do you think you really want to piss off a guy that stuck with you after your DUI arrest? Do you really want to really want to piss off a guy that could throw you hundred thousand dollars more for just showing up to an event for no reason at all. If there is one thing that all the top guys say, it's if your good to Dana White and the UFC they will be very very good to you.

Jon Jones is a fucking moron.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/23/32 ... -cancelled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:05 pm 

Guess Jones is refusing interview requests at this time. Greg Jackson was on the radio, and said he didn't understand some of the comments coming from Dana about him and Jones. I'm kind of hoping Machida kicks his ass this time, but I doubt it. I didn't think Henderson would win, same with Sonnen, but I would of loved to see Sonnen get in there with him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 pm 

Sonnen live on ESPN in about 5 mins. Should be interesting to say the least.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40 pm 

UFC press release features the line "UFC 151 will be remembered as the event Jon Jones and Greg Jackson murdered."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next