It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Drop In wrote:
I think because of Superman booking, people miss that he gives his all, and loves this business like a mark.

You, me, a case of 312, a Stan Hansen AWA action figure, and Wrestlemania 9 DVD. Did I do that right? Wait what?

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:11 pm 

donspiracy wrote:
jackref wrote:
Woodridge Ryan wrote:
He really hasn't had that much superman booking for almost a year now. Was surprised he won. I expected him to lose.

Exactly. This was a match he should lose. Besides the Rock, who has he lost to clean in the past year? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Hello. Punk in the same building at MITB last July. Summer of Punk, remember??

Yep - you are right. It seems longer than a year ago :lol: Ok so we are at twice in 9 months. Any others?

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
donspiracy wrote:
jackref wrote:
Woodridge Ryan wrote:
He really hasn't had that much superman booking for almost a year now. Was surprised he won. I expected him to lose.

Exactly. This was a match he should lose. Besides the Rock, who has he lost to clean in the past year? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Hello. Punk in the same building at MITB last July. Summer of Punk, remember??

Agreed. They've actually cooled off with his winning ways.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

He jobbed to freaking Albert.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 pm 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
He jobbed to freaking Albert.

He did? When did I miss that?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
jackref wrote:

Yep - you are right. It seems longer than a year ago :lol: Ok so we are at twice in 9 months. Any others?

7/25 RAW - won the WWE Championship from Rey Mysterio
8/14 SummerSlam - lost a unification match to WWE Champion CM Punk in a match where Triple H was the special guest referee
9/18 Night of Champions - beat Alberto Del Rio to win the WWE Championship
10/2 Hell in a Cell - Alberto Del Rio beat WWE Champion John Cena and CM Punk in a Hell in a Cell Match to win the title
10/23 Vengeance - lost to WWE Champion Alberto Del Rio in a Last Man Standing Match
11/20 Survivor Series - w/The Rock beat The Miz & R-Truth

1/29 Royal Rumble - fought Kane to a double count out
2/19 Elimination Chamber - beat Kane in an Ambulance Match
4/1 WrestleMania XXVIII - lost to The Rock
4/29 Extreme Rules - beat Brock Lesnar in an Extreme Rules Match

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Lost to Del Rio twice in ppvs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:20 pm 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:

OK Del Rio is very different than Albert as in Lord Tensai - that's what I thought you meant.

He lost to Punk with Trips as guest referee
He lost in a HIAC match - he was protected because of 3 way dance and gimmick match.
He lost clean to ADR
He lost to Rock

So in 9 months he lost 3 times "clean". Better than years past but still very protected and still superman - especially after a match like tonight. Only one more protected is Kane and Cena beat him twice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
jackref wrote:
Drop In wrote:
I think because of Superman booking, people miss that he gives his all, and loves this business like a mark.

You, me, a case of 312, a Stan Hansen AWA action figure, and Wrestlemania 9 DVD. Did I do that right? Wait what?

It depends on your angle. 8) What?

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
Heath Slater pinned Jericho clean on NXT. What?

Brock's match was awesome. My stream blew so it's hard to process. Really enjoyed Bryan's match too

Here the pre-show. The kids already have the ppv up for d/l, so it should be ready by the a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOrgxPSa ... e=youtu.be

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

jackref wrote:
Woodridge Ryan wrote:

OK Del Rio is very different than Albert as in Lord Tensai - that's what I thought you meant.

He lost in a HIAC match - he was protected because of 3 way dance and gimmick match.
He lost clean to ADR
He lost to Rock

So in 9 months he lost 3 times "clean". Better than years past but still very protected and still superman - especially after a match like tonight. Only one more protected is Kane and Cena beat him twice.

No, he did actually lose to Lord Tensai last week. The last year has not been superman booking by any means. The few year leading up to last year's money in the bank - absolutely. Small part I watched even less during that time. But to claim he has been superman booked the last year is a stretch. He hasn't held the belt forever either. The Rock is one of my all-time favorites, but he should have lost to Cena. I'd say Cena has been a pretty good company guy and losing matches when necessary to help company. I've bashed on him for quite awhile, but pretty much since he had that great match with Punk at MITB last year I've laid off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:49 pm 

Honestly, with as many "smart" fans as we have in this section, I'm surprised I'm almost alone on the Cena bandwagon.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Drop In wrote:
Honestly, with as many "smart" fans as we have in this section, I'm surprised I'm almost alone on the Cena bandwagon.

I get what Cena means to the company and his exposure outside of the business. Doesn't make me want to boo him any less. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:47 pm 

Proud to say that my group started the, "Let's go Ziggler!" chants.

Fun night. Cena came on the mic afterwords and hinted that he's probably gone for a while. He wasn't moving his left arm at all, so either he sold it really well and is going to be making a movie, or he's hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Drop In wrote:

I've come around on Cena.

If you will.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:57 am 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
jackref wrote:
Woodridge Ryan wrote:

He lost clean to ADR
He lost to Rock

No, he did actually lose to Lord Tensai last week. The last year has not been superman booking by any means. The few year leading up to last year's money in the bank - absolutely. Small part I watched even less during that time. But to claim he has been superman booked the last year is a stretch. He hasn't held the belt forever either. The Rock is one of my all-time favorites, but he should have lost to Cena. I'd say Cena has been a pretty good company guy and losing matches when necessary to help company. I've bashed on him for quite awhile, but pretty much since he had that great match with Punk at MITB last year I've laid off.

He did lose to Tensai? WTF I am glad I missed that then. Or I was really drunk and wiped it from my mind.

Good points on him not being booked superman style the past year, I can concede that to a point. The problem is perception. I can't be the only one who still sees him in that unbeatable always comes back role (exemplified by last nights booking). And I have no problem with Cena as a wrestler, its the character they made him. Bad scripted promos and cheesy crap he would say while he was the champ. He is much better when they just let him go on his own a la promos against Rock. For the past 5 years he has been booked in such a way that its hard to root for him as the top babyface. Part of it stems from the fact they had several opportunities to turn him heel in a meaningful way and they didn't. Crowds/fans get burnt out on seeing the same top babyface - especially in this era of wrestling. I think the other part is your top guy wears sneakers and jorts to wrestle. I think this irks the older smart marks like myself. Wrestling in sneakers used to be taboo unless you were a yarder. I could even handle the jorts if he had proper boots, not asking much! :lol:

I still don't understand why he went over on Brock the way he did last night, moreso since he just said he was going to be gone for awhile. It makes zero sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:04 am 

It doesn't hurt Brock as he's the "monster" who put Cena on the shelf. Much like HHH standing tall after WrestleMania 27 while the winner was carted out.

He sells the loss as a fluke and he eliminated the face of the PG Era.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:15 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
It doesn't hurt Brock as he's the "monster" who put Cena on the shelf. Much like HHH standing tall after WrestleMania 27 while the winner was carted out.

Then don't give Brock your finisher. You pound him with the foreign object already in the ring and knock him out and either have the ref call for the bell because Brock can't continue or just cover him there. That gives alot more options and directions to go with the storyline. After the brutality of that match having a "finishing move" end it was absurd and cheapened it I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
jackref wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Then don't give Brock your finisher. You pound him with the foreign object already in the ring and knock him out and either have the ref call for the bell because Brock can't continue or just cover him there. That gives alot more options and directions to go with the storyline. After the brutality of that match having a "finishing move" end it was absurd and cheapened it I think.

It wasn't like it was a single finisher to wrap up the match. It was a chain to the face, followed by an FU on the metal steps.

BTW, I love Brock keeping the JJs and beef jerky on the trunks. Reminds you he is a "fighter" etc. Like it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:01 am 

Also, I hate that Punk and Jericho wrestled in jeans. I know it's a street fight, but it looks silly. Never understood that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:04 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Also, I hate that Punk and Jericho wrestled in jeans. I know it's a street fight, but it looks silly. Never understood that.

You don't wear ring gear to a street fight :P

You saw 2 excellent matches and the crowd was awesome. Any other tidbits from being there?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 am 

jackref wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

You don't wear ring gear to a street fight :P

You saw 2 excellent matches and the crowd was awesome. Any other tidbits from being there?

Ha, no I know, but I just think visually it looks terrible.

Couple of tidbits:

- The WWE got a new jumbotron. Not sure when, but it is absolutely unreal. HD. I caught myself watching that a ton, because it was so damn clear.

- Billy was right behind the announce table, not sure if they showed him.

- The mom of the two Cena kids from front row was so hot.

- Bryan stayed over, despite ripping on the crowd. Lots of his shirts all over the place.

- Came in to the ticket area with Adam Dunn and his fam. Wife is a perfect ten. She is like 5 foot even. Also saw Punk's family as well.

- The Miz/Santino match was actually decent. I thought Santino was really over.

- Big Show falling through the table was a great moment. Crowd was silent... didn't know how to react until the ref went for the bell. Then a huge pop, and I thought Show sold it well.

- Crowd was hot for Punk... nothing like MITB of course... but definitely the biggest pop of the night. Funniest thing was after the camera went off, a roadie sprinted in to the ring to start a mat change, and Punk took off after him running frantically mocking him. Very funny.

- The crowd was amazing for the Cena/Lesnar match. I loved it, one of my favorite matches recently. By the end, Cena definitely won some fans over, but I think Lesnar did too. Most of the floor stood the entire match. No one really knew how to react to Cena's speech, but they cheered him, mostly.

All in all, everybody around me loved the show. Most were surprised but impressed by the Lesnar/Cena match. Tried to get a "DropIn" chant going in my section, but it didn't catch fire. Sorry, DropIn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Anybody have another youtube link? Bob's seems to be gone... :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 am 

Ivan I think that was just the pre-show.

And it says he removed it so I'm guessing he's uploading the PPV now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Groovy. I don't want to have to do actual work today...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:30 am 

Thanks for the effort Chris. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
I think the other part is your top guy wears sneakers and jorts to wrestle.

This

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 pm 

Youtube blocked the ppv so i'm going to try and carve out a few matches and see if that works.

Meltzer / Alvarez show was pretty good. Probably the most I've ever agreed with both of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w61orm_pjI

Yes, the previous link was just a little pre-game with the Santino v Miz match which they blocked a few hours after. The PPV was blocked instantly. Bastards. Mania is still up so it's total hit and miss until I learn some new tricks.

Lanny Poffo had the right idea when he'd wear a suit of armor for battle royals. Jeans should only be for Bunkhouse Stampedes, baby.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:08 pm 

Extreme Rules gifs

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=403150787&forumid=177

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=403150788&forumid=177

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=403150796&forumid=177

some good stuff here:

wrestlingwithtext.com/my-brief-and-uninsightful-recap/vol-51-wwe-extreme-rules-2012-4-29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
What the fuck was the point of bringing Lesner back? He is totally useless now. Once again creative fucks something that could have been golden up. Who is to blame? Vince?Steph/HHH?

As usual Chicago crowds are the best. Any time they bring someone back should be done here!
The return of Layla was a pleasant surprise. God is she hot.
I enjoyed the show. Not a bad effort considering what I thought going in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next