It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMA News thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
you can't make this up. Rampage hurts knee, goes to UFC doctor who gives him testosterone, which causes him to gain too much muscle and miss weight.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/1/283 ... nt-ufc-144

Rampage Jackson Says He Used Prescribed Testosterone Replacement Before UFC 144

Quinton Jackson put on arguably the worst performance of his career at UFC 144 when he lost to Ryan Bader by lopsided decision after badly missing weight. Rampage blamed a knee injury for missing weight as he couldn't do his road work and lose weight as one normally would.

When talking to Fighters Only Magazine, Rampage dropped an odd bit of information. He had used testosterone replacement in the lead up to the fight as well. From the interview:

I almost pulled out but then I went to see the doctor and he told me to talk to an age-management doctor. So I went and talked to them and they tested me and said my testosterone was low; they prescribed me testosterone, to bring my testosterone levels back up to levels where I can be like... so that I am the same as young people, like when I was 25, and it would help build my knee up. I hurt my knee like a month ago and I only did three shots of testosterone but it put a lot of weight on me, a lot of muscle on me but it healed me knee up good enough to where I could fight.

It was hard for me to train, it takes time to heal, I couldn't do certain things, but this was my first time ever using testosterone. I took what the doctor prescribed to me and I went to the pharmacy... I gave myself small doses and that shit immediately changed me, that's why I am saying now I am not going to retire. I am not gonna retire no time soon, its just unfortunate that I got this injury.

I started hitting it up pretty good, I still gotta take care of my knee but I feel like a 25 year old again. My sex life changed, I was back to five times a night like when I was 25, straight up. I got stronger, lifting weights. I was never good at lifting weights but I was doing everything, pull ups and stuff, everything with my top half. I gained a lot of weight but I gained a lot of water as well, I never knew about testosterone putting weight on you like that. I had to cut weight [for the fight] and I cut 22 pounds out of the 30 I needed to cut, I just couldn't make the rest. I couldn't make the rest.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:03 pm 

Caught the end of the Strikeforce event last night, Rousey is a killer. She had the armbar early in the 1st and then got it back at the end of the round to win.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
Yea finally got around to watching the Strikeforce event. Rousey is like the Frank Mir of womans mma. That arm is one of the most gruesome things ive seen in the sport. Dislocated the arm with the 1st armbar then just ripped it apart with the 2nd. Ugh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:28 pm 

Looks like the winner of Miller/Diaz will get Henderson first. Looks like Little Nog is hurt again, and will miss his next fight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Dana White announced that Henderson vs Edgar 2 will happen this summer and the winner of the Diaz/Miller fight will than fight the winner of the rematch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:05 pm 

Rampage said he will have one last fight in the UFC, but wouldn't be retire. He said he wouldn't fight for the UFC anymore U Fight Cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 pm 

Please Rampage go away. He isn't the great fighter he was back in the Pride days. He has 1 KO victory in the last 4 years. He refuses to develop his game and just tries to go for the KO punch. I was happy Bader won in Japan vs Rampage as Bader actually seems to have love for the sport still. Rampage just wants to make that money(which I'm sure the UFC has made him plenty of since he fought Chuck Liddell for the title in 07. I'm not sure where he thinks he is going to go to make the type of coin that the UFC could pay him(if he would actually get that win bonus)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:21 pm 

After watching UFC Tonight last night, I have to say I agree with Ariel. The UFC really needs to stop with these immediate rematches. Make the guy earn it with 2 or 3 wins. Edgar doesn't deserve it, he got his ass kicked. Sonnen didn't deserve one right away either. Sure he dominated for 4 1/2 rounds, but if you are shitty enough to get caught in a submission, that's your fault. The problem with Edgar is he is White's bitch. White thinks he is top 3P4P and he is completely wrong. Just because he has heart, doesn't make him a top fighter. Maynard kicked his has twice and choked and Henderson just kicked his ass. White should've forced him down to 145. Now is he loses again to Henderson, he better not offer him Aldo right away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:55 pm 

Imo Edgar was lost a convincing dec. no way should he get a rematch. I only like immediate rematched when theres a controversial dec/finish or a very close back and forth fight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm 

just playing devil's advocate but he beat Penn and Penn got a rematch. Drew with Gray and Gray got a rematch and now HE can't get one? That doesn't seem fair.

I really hope he doesn't move down and I thought it was bs when Rogan asked him the cage after the fight. He just had 5 awesome fights and beat one of the greatest of all time twice and he's supposed to run to another weight class after one loss? Seems like he's been doing well for himself in the division with only 1 career loss before Benson. As a fan all I want is to see fun fights and he'll deliver in either weight class so it doesn't matter to me really

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 am 

Mir vs Cain and Roy Nelson vs Big Foot Silva, added to UFC 146. Main Event is Overeem vs Dos Santos.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Can I ask question about the judging, since about every MMA show in the last couple of weeks brings it up.

Why don't they try to get Full time Judges and train them the way it should be scored or are the judges picked by somebody else? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:49 am 

reents wrote:
Can I ask question about the judging, since about every MMA show in the last couple of weeks brings it up.

Why don't they try to get Full time Judges and train them the way it should be scored or are the judges picked by somebody else? Just wondering.

It would be great but the problem is there is no national or international governing body for MMA. Each state has their own athletic commission with their own rules. So when an event happens, the state commission pulls refs and judges from that state's list. The laws are very lacking in Texas, but tough in CA, etc. MMA is illegal in NY so each state is different. It just depends which states the refs and judges are licensed in. Back in the Pride days in Japan, they used to score the fights at the end of the fight rather than by round. Judge picks the winner by the overall fight instead of incremental periods, which seems to make a lot more sense to me. A lot of older mma rules in the U.S. were taken or borrowed from boxing out of ignorance and still haven't been updated. UFC can have their own rules that are different than Bellator and vice versa, but unless there is a unified governing body, each company has their own methods.

They need something (but much better than) the Olympics where everyone is on the same page as far as rules and drug testing, but its never going to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 am 

Thanks for the answers Bob.

Over the weekend, the guy needed a calculator or be at school the day they taught Math.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:42 pm 

Bob Loblaw wrote:
just playing devil's advocate but he beat Penn and Penn got a rematch. Drew with Gray and Gray got a rematch and now HE can't get one? That doesn't seem fair.

I really hope he doesn't move down and I thought it was bs when Rogan asked him the cage after the fight. He just had 5 awesome fights and beat one of the greatest of all time twice and he's supposed to run to another weight class after one loss? Seems like he's been doing well for himself in the division with only 1 career loss before Benson. As a fan all I want is to see fun fights and he'll deliver in either weight class so it doesn't matter to me really

Penn won the 1st imo

Anytime a championship fight ends in a draw an immediate rematch is in order

I saw Ben winning at least 4 of those rds in that fight. No rematch should have been rewarded. So what happens if Edgar wins the rematch?! Its only right Henderson gets his too right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:41 pm 

Mr. Hernandez wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

Penn won the 1st imo

Anytime a championship fight ends in a draw an immediate rematch is in order

I saw Ben winning at least 4 of those rds in that fight. No rematch should have been rewarded. So what happens if Edgar wins the rematch?! Its only right Henderson gets his too right?

Champs shouldn't get an automatic rematch clause imo. The first Penn Edgar match was definitely close and so was the Maynard fight and I wanted to see rematches of those, but in general I don't like them. If you get a shot at the title and you don't win, you don't get to say, "well I almost won how about a do-over?" If you get hosed like Rua did in Rua vs Machida 1, you get a rematch.

As far as Pettis, the first thing he did after beating Henderson was lose to Guida. Then he beat a completely washed up Jeremy Stephens by split, which he should have lost. Lauzon is far from elite these days. I'm not taking anything away from Pettis, just saying. I would give Frankie the rematch (since they've already set the precedent for rematches), Pettis is next in line and then the winner of Guida vs Jim Miller.

The Maynard vs Edgar draw was one of the best fights I've ever seen, it ended in a draw, Gray got his rematch and the rematch was one of the lowest ordered PPV's of all time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:23 pm 

Does anyone think Pride style judging would work (judge the fight in its entirety instead of rounds)?

I think it would get rid of a lot of problems, but at the same time you'd have bad judges who would give the fight to the guy with momentum at the end instead of judging the entire fight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:57 pm 

Sounds like Diaz may avoid suspension, he has a good argument against the commission.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102 ... ion-appeal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:54 pm 

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Does anyone think Pride style judging would work (judge the fight in its entirety instead of rounds)?

I think it would get rid of a lot of problems, but at the same time you'd have bad judges who would give the fight to the guy with momentum at the end instead of judging the entire fight.

I like this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:13 pm 

Rampage to fight Shogun in his last UFC fight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 am 

That likely will Rampage's last fight in the UFC, the way Rampage is acting, think there worried he goes in and about 5 seconds, say that's it and throws in the towel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:35 pm 

Maynard vs Guida signed for FX3. Franklin vs Cung Le in July.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:55 pm 

Silva/Sonnen 2, June 23rd.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:07 pm 

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight
by Steven Marrocco on Apr 04, 2012 at 4:35 pm ET

Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is unlikely to fight champion Junior Dos Santos (14-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC) for the UFC heavyweight title this summer at UFC 146.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the No. 1 heavyweight contender failed a pre-fight drug test conducted this past Tuesday following a press conference for UFC 146.

Overeem's "A" sample was flagged for an elevated T/E ratio that exeeded 10-to-1, well over the 6-to-1 limit. Kizer said the heavyweight has the right to request the test's "B" sample, which, if negative, would make him eligible to receive a fight license.

The former Strikeforce champion was among six top-billed fighters who were tested for the all-heavyweight pay-per-view event, which takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. All were tested for diuretics, masking agents, anabolic steroids and T/E ratios in addition to drugs of abuse.

Dos Santos, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva all passed their tests.

It's not the first time Overeem has run afoul of the NSAC. He was granted a conditional license to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 141 after missing a pre-fight drug test ordered by the commission, which reinstated out-of-competition testing this past July.

Answering to the commission via telephone during an NSAC hearing held three weeks prior to UFC 141, Overeem said he missed the test because he had flown back to his native Holland to care for his ailing mother and wasn't made aware of the obligation. When he got word, he submitted an invalid blood test conducted by his personal doctor and then submitted urine that wasn't tested.

The NSAC gave him a license on the condition that he submit to a drug test conducted by an accredited laboratory, which he did two days later (and subsequently passed), as well as pass a drug test upon arriving in the U.S. for the Lesnar fight and submit to two random tests.

This past Tuesday's test served as one of those random tests, which also followed a fight-night test at UFC 141.

Because Overeem's conditional license expired on Dec. 31, the NSAC will not receive a disciplinary complaint against him as it does for licensed athletes. Instead, he will need to appear before the commission should he choose to apply for a license, which notably, hadn't been filed for UFC 146.

With one half of May 26's event on the shelf, the UFC may give one of the main-card heavyweights an impromptu title shot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:23 pm 

I came on here to post this news. This guy is such a dipshit. Likely to say something about a prefight injury that he had and he would have been able to cycle off in time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:26 pm 

Sorry I stole your thunder.

:P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:29 pm 

Been happening alot today. Bastards.

I think they will have Mir replace Overeem in the main event and no idea what they are going to do with Cain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:24 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good riddance.

Sure would be fun to reverse roles with him and Brock. Have HGH Brock get in the octagon with a clean Overeem after he's had a foot of intestine removed. I don't understand how he got away with the bullshit before the Brock fight to begin with. And seriously, who the hell takes steroids when HGH has been around for over 10 years and isn't tested for? WTF?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:32 pm 

Rampage is trying to ruin his career when he is doing shit like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAz0LI4F ... e=youtu.be

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next