It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:57 am 

That without an American boxer without knockout power and style, boxing is long past dead?

Tomorrow is supposed to be the best fight of the year and no one seemingly cares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I am looking forward to it, but I always catch these types of PPV events when they rebroadcast them later on.

I still love boxing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I am very interested in this fight but not enough to shell out the cash to get it at home. Rooting for Canelo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
That has been a theme for boxing for a while. I am interested but not paying. They really should to try to get more boxing on cable to get more people to know boxers and build up to their payday PPV.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Canelo by knockout. Young with enough experience

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I'll be out at a Mexican bar watching it.

At least it's a real fight rather than that alligator vs. bear crap we saw a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I'm kicking around the idea of buying the fight. I'm interested but I'm not sure I want to drop another 90 bucks or whatever it is. I'll probably cave tomorrow night if nothing else is going on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
GGG by knockout in the 7th.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Eh, this fight would probably do about 1 million buys if Mayweather hadn't scheduled McGregor 3 weeks before it in part to screw over Oscar. As it is, I predict somewhere around 750k, which is still pretty decent. Alvarez has already sold one million PPVs against the mediocre Chavez Jr.

Personally I think the "boxing is dead" narratives have persisted and will persist no matter what. Hell before Mayweather-Pacquiao even occurred and was the disappointment most hardcore fans expected, there were "Doesn't this just prove boxing will be dead after this? There are no more fights left!"

I think the decline of PPV for the sport can only improve its long term health, as it will mean fewer fighters stuck behind paywalls and will also hopefully result in better fights in divisions. Mayweather/Pacquiao and before them Oscar held entire divisions hostage because lots of guys didn't want to earn shots to fight them by taking on the next best competition in the division but instead simply be risk averse and hope they were picked anyway. This was even happening with Canelo, as 154 was one of the most stagnant divisions in the sport while he was still around that weight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Nas wrote:
Canelo by knockout. Young with enough experience

I agree.

I think GGG hits harder, but he leaves his face open way too much.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Cassandra was a pretty solid German Goo Girl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Pretty great fight so far.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:32 pm 

I'm remotely pissed I didn't buy it but I'll survive. I hope it shows up on HBO later. Fitbit how much a I enjoyed the spectacle that is boxing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Draw.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was a fantastic fight and to have it end as a draw is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:03 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Draw.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was a fantastic fight and to have it end as a draw is ridiculous.

Proof fight judging is rigged. One guy had it 118-110 for Canelo.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:07 pm 

That makes me happy I didn't buy fight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
See you on Derby Day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Fucking ridiculous outcome. 118-110 Canelo? Not even.

The rematch will be good tho.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:33 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
didnt know the fight was today. there was more hype for the mayweather/mcgregor fight i guess. nobody posted here about it either or i would have tried to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:05 am 

Had to end in a draw since Mayweather stole their viewers and hype. Re-match will be a much bigger pay day now.

Politics.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
been watching espn and atlas is going nuts. makes good arguments how corrupt boxing is. i think people are past done w/ this kind of shit in boxing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:08 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Worth watching on HBO tomorrow? I dunno who won at this moment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
312player wrote:
Worth watching on HBO tomorrow? I dunno who won at this moment.

Yes, it was a good fight.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 pm 

I scored it a 6-6 draw.

GGG is still trying to goad Canelo into going toe-to-toe for the rematch, but I have no problem at all with the way Canelo fought that fight.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:47 pm 

I scored it 7-5 Golovkin, but I thought he fought a pretty dumb and sloppy fight since there was plenty of reason to believe at least one judge would be fully on the take and all 3 would be looking for whatever excuse possible to give Alvarez rounds. Of course, he's gonna get paid handsomely for the rematch and the "controversy" will no doubt be a major selling point for it, so that definition of "dumb" is somewhat limited.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
I scored it 7-5 Golovkin, but I thought he fought a pretty dumb and sloppy fight since there was plenty of reason to believe at least one judge would be fully on the take and all 3 would be looking for whatever excuse possible to give Alvarez rounds. Of course, he's gonna get paid handsomely for the rematch and the "controversy" will no doubt be a major selling point for it, so that definition of "dumb" is somewhat limited.

I wonder if the added time for Canelo to be walking around at the greater weight will help him be more comfortable and translate to a lasting and usable increase in power. I think Canelo was clearly wondering himself how he would perform with the added weight, and he looked quite good. Walking around and training more at the greater weight (developing and widening the new capillaries in the added muscle) will hopefully help him say strong through the ends of rounds in the rematch, as he was clearly getting winded in the last minute of rounds in the second half of the fight.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:33 am 

Panther pislA wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I wonder if the added time for Canelo to be walking around at the greater weight will help him be more comfortable and translate to a lasting and usable increase in power. I think Canelo was clearly wondering himself how he would perform with the added weight, and he looked quite good. Walking around and training more at the greater weight (developing and widening the new capillaries in the added muscle) will hopefully help him say strong through the ends of rounds in the rematch, as he was clearly getting winded in the last minute of rounds in the second half of the fight.
I don't know, he's never been a 3 minute round fighter to me, and "getting adjusted to the weight" always struck me as more of an excuse from Oscar for dragging this fight out for so long than an actual physical impediment for Alvarez.

One thing I'm curious to see in a rematch though is if he returns to his usual Everlast gloves. I have to suspect he may have had some kind of hand injury concerns to be wearing Winning pillows in this fight. Golovkin has an iron chin but I wonder if Alvarez could have at least gotten his respect if was wearing his usual gloves.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Had a great time at a neighbors house watching the fight....until they read the results from the judges. GGG won that fight.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:08 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I don't know, he's never been a 3 minute round fighter to me, and "getting adjusted to the weight" always struck me as more of an excuse from Oscar for dragging this fight out for so long than an actual physical impediment for Alvarez.

One thing I'm curious to see in a rematch though is if he returns to his usual Everlast gloves. I have to suspect he may have had some kind of hand injury concerns to be wearing Winning pillows in this fight. Golovkin has an iron chin but I wonder if Alvarez could have at least gotten his respect if was wearing his usual gloves.

I like the angle, but Canelo has used Winning gloves in several fights dating back at least 5 years.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 am 

Panther pislA wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I like the angle, but Canelo has used Winning gloves in several fights dating back at least 5 years.

I think Ryan Rhodes was the last time he had worn them. I believe he then wore Grants from Gomez through Angulo and then used Everlasts for all of his subsequent fights until last night.