It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:30 am 

What were they?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:33 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Saba Simba, the time they briefly made Tony Atlas run around doing an unga-bunga dance. It was so bad that Roddy Piper called it out on commentary and they felt they might as well leave it in.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Bastian Booger
The Goobeldy Gooker
The Shockmaster
Dr Isaac Yankem
Repo Man
The Spirit Squad
Disco Inferno
Glacier
The Yeti

It's kind of funny though...some of the gimmicks that worked really well back in 1984 are just cringe worthy today...

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:46 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Saba Simba, the time they briefly made Tony Atlas run around doing an unga-bunga dance. It was so bad that Roddy Piper called it out on commentary and they felt they might as well leave it in.

Yeah, that was bad...I never understood that move...Atlas made Vince good money in the early to mid 80's...brought him back because he needed a check, and gave him a gimmick that was...just awful. Because he could.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:47 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Yeti

I believe he is known as the "Yet-tay!"

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:51 am 

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:54 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Disco Inferno
Glacier

I will defend these two, especially Disco Inferno. Disco Inferno was just an update of the Honky Tonk Man, and the Honky Tonk Man got plenty of heat in his prime. WCW left him as a glorified jobber instead of making him be an insufferable turd who always got away by the skin of his teeth, because WCW couldn't book, but honestly, I think he could have been a big mid-card heel for the WWF at around the same time by rejecting Attitude for...well, disco, obviously.

Glacier would have been fine if he hadn't coincided with the nWo. He would have been perfect for early 1996 before everything changed. Then Hall and Nash throwing Rey Misterio Jr. into a trailer like a dart made a Mortal Kombat export look silly.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
In the late 80's there was a tag team in whatever WCW was called at the time called "The New Breed." Their gimmick was that they were from the future (2002!) and being from the future they were supposed to be far more advanced technically and tactically than anyone else, at least that's what I remembered about them, other than they sucked. According to wiki though there was some stuff I forgot.

Quote:
In 1986, Chris Champion and Sean Royal were put together as a tag team in Florida Championship Wrestling. Their gimmick had them claiming to be from the future, specifically the year 2002.[4] As a result, they often referred to Dusty Rhodes as "Mr. President".[5] They also believed that Lazer Tron was a real robot, since robots were supposedly common where they were from. They constantly referred to the flux capacitor, the fictional time conduit from Back to the Future. They also made many references to robot toys, referring to Lazer Tron as one of the Go-Bots, and using Transformers references like Cybertron and showing their loyalty to the Decepticons.[5] For a while they were managed by a robot called XTC-1[6]

I mean if Trump could be President, The American Dream Dusty Rhodes could have been too.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:08 am 

Bill Clinton kinda splits the difference, if you think about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 am 

How we looked in 2002 I guess.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:23 am 

Also, this guy was...uh...problematic...

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj50-Iy2GCk

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:27 am 

That wasn't even from the '80s, they did a mentally disabled guy in 2004.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:34 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Glacier would have been fine if he hadn't coincided with the nWo. He would have been perfect for early 1996 before everything changed. Then Hall and Nash throwing Rey Misterio Jr. into a trailer like a dart made a Mortal Kombat export look silly.

It was a turd of a gimmick to try and take advantage of Mortal Kombat...no lasting power to it. Let's be fair here, the good gimmicks don't need a video game to make them work.

Also, I laugh my ass off every time Mystero gets lawn darted. 24 years later, and he's still heaped with abuse, too...in the MITB match last night, he gets choked out by Shana Baszler, smashed between Nia Jax and Otis, hit on by Brother Love coming out of a bathroom, and thrown off the roof of Titan Tower by Baron Corbin.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:34 am 

KDdidit wrote:
In the late 80's there was a tag team in whatever WCW was called at the time called "The New Breed." Their gimmick was that they were from the future (2002!) and being from the future they were supposed to be far more advanced technically and tactically than anyone else, at least that's what I remembered about them, other than they sucked. According to wiki though there was some stuff I forgot.

Quote:
In 1986, Chris Champion and Sean Royal were put together as a tag team in Florida Championship Wrestling. Their gimmick had them claiming to be from the future, specifically the year 2002.[4] As a result, they often referred to Dusty Rhodes as "Mr. President".[5] They also believed that Lazer Tron was a real robot, since robots were supposedly common where they were from. They constantly referred to the flux capacitor, the fictional time conduit from Back to the Future. They also made many references to robot toys, referring to Lazer Tron as one of the Go-Bots, and using Transformers references like Cybertron and showing their loyalty to the Decepticons.[5] For a while they were managed by a robot called XTC-1[6]

Those were my guys. They used to come out to the Beastie Boys as part of their intro. Just bad that their intro song was the one song that Beasties absolutely hated :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am 

long time guy wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Quote:

Those were my guys. They used to come out to the Beastie Boys as part of their intro. Just bad that their intro song was the one song that Beasties absolutely hated :lol: :lol:

It is quite unfortunate they got that turd of a gimmick, too...both could go, and would have easily kept up with the quality of teams in the NWA at that time...R&R, Midnights, Tully & Arn, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:36 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Quote:

It is quite unfortunate they got that turd of a gimmick, too...both could go, and would have easily kept up with the quality of teams in the NWA at that time...R&R, Midnights, Tully & Arn, etc.

Yeah they were good

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I haven't followed wrestling since I was a yoot, but there are too man bad gimmicks to name. The one that comes to mind is Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. Brutus the Beefcake was fine by himself, but the whole "Barber" bit was beyond stupid.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:14 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Quote:

Yeah those guys deserved a chance. They could both go.

I had forgot all about them.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:15 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
I haven't followed wrestling since I was a yoot, but there are too man bad gimmicks to name. The one that comes to mind is Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. Brutus the Beefcake was fine by himself, but the whole "Barber" bit was beyond stupid.

Yeah...bad.

Although, that shitty gimmick led to one of my favorite moments in old WWF:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:15 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Bastian Booger
The Goobeldy Gooker
The Shockmaster
Dr Isaac Yankem
Repo Man
The Spirit Squad
Disco Inferno
Glacier
The Yeti

It's kind of funny though...some of the gimmicks that worked really well back in 1984 are just cringe worthy today...

That is a good list to start with.

Although I will say I always liked Disco :lol:

Dr Yankem was so bad....damn what were they thinking?!?

Add the Goon to the list too.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:24 pm 

What about Big Bully Busick?

I think that was a case where the guy couldn't work and they didn't really try to book him well, but an old-fashioned bully with a bowler hat and a handlebar mustache could be fun as hell if you wanted it to be. You could do sepia-toned silent film vignettes where this song plays and a guy says (on title cards, of course) "I think I'll have a delicious phosphate! Consarn it! It's that local hooligan!" and then the bully is lifting triangle-shaped dumbbells and says "A foppish dandy in my saloon?!? It's curtains for you!" And then back in real life, he talks in an old-timey trans-Atlantic accent and everyone is like "what the hell's that guy's whole deal," but then he still beats guys up. I don't know, I don't watch wrestling anymore, it might not work because everyone's name now is just Braden Brandon or some shit.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
What about Big Bully Busick?

I think that was a case where the guy couldn't work and they didn't really try to book him well, but an old-fashioned bully with a bowler hat and a handlebar mustache could be fun as hell if you wanted it to be. You could do sepia-toned silent film vignettes where this song plays and a guy says (on title cards, of course) "I think I'll have a delicious phosphate! Consarn it! It's that local hooligan!" and then the bully is lifting triangle-shaped dumbbells and says "A foppish dandy in my saloon?!? It's curtains for you!" And then back in real life, he talks in an old-timey trans-Atlantic accent and everyone is like "what the hell's that guy's whole deal," but then he still beats guys up. I don't know, I don't watch wrestling anymore, it might not work because everyone's name now is just Braden Brandon or some shit.

They tried it again with The Vaudevillians in NXT. They were pretty over in NXT. They were not used well on the main roster. In fact, I think their claim to fame was almost killing Enzo during a PPV in Rosemont.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
long time guy wrote:
What were they?

Harlem Heat

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:32 pm 

I just watched the clip, they totally got the oversized megaphone from Mr. Show. That's okay, I got my whole post from half-remembered Homestar Runner shorts.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:47 pm 

The Big Show as Andre the Giant's son when he first broke into wrestling. Just bogus.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
The Big Show as Andre the Giant's son when he first broke into wrestling. Just bogus.

I forgot about that...the dying days of the carny throwback gimmicks...

Like Arn Anderson and the worst Minnesota accent ever.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:50 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Yeah...bad.

Although, that shitty gimmick led to one of my favorite moments in old WWF:

That wasn't even the tempered glass that shatters :shock:

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Favorite Pizza Place
The Red Rooster. Musta been embarrassing for Terry Taylor to walk around with that ridiculous red mohawk and making rooster sounds for the entire match.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:13 am 

Koko B Ware he liked birds. Giant Gonzalez, a man who could not move, but he was tall and wore some weird hairy body suit. WCW probably owns this though. Kevin Nash as the Great Wizard might be the dumbest thing ever attempted.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.