It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: MMA News thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: nowhere
Figured a running mma news thread is a good place for mma news and rumors etc

Dana just tweeted that GSP is out for 10 mos with a blown acl. Diaz vs Condit for interim title

Post subject: Re: MMA News thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:22 pm 

Just saw this on twitter, unreal. I'm sure this make the Diaz camp happy. Wonder who Kos gets now. Does anyone have a code to get UFC tickets early?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
Wow, that's huge. I respect GSP, but he bores me, so that's ok news.

At least Condit finally gets a shot at the title. Just the thought of having a Diaz as a UFC champ cracks me up. I see him winning and then cutting a John Rocker-esque post match promo, just because.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:45 pm 

Full UFC 140 Countdown show (Jones vs Machida)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -xS-JbqmUA

no commercials and now on Fuel TV, which I don't get.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 am 

Wednesday fallout:

--According to Dr. Sebastian Mimerc, GSP's personal doctor on his injuries:
"It all started mid-October when Georges was preparing for the match with Carlos Condit. He injured his left knee doing a sparring session, sprained his MCL. He tried to continue his camp with the pain. He had a small injury to his right leg, a pulled hamstring. With injuries to both legs we decided to cancel the fight. He did rehab, he recovered completely.

While training a few weeks ago he tried to defend a takedown, hyperextended his right knee, but he was still able to walk, so he tried to continue training. A few days later, he felt the pain was increasing and he called me. We did an MRI on Monday morning. I saw him yesterday and examined him.

The MRI and the exam showed a full tear of the ACL and a partial tear of the meniscus. The treatment plan, considering the pain, surgery is mandatory. There is no way he can compete with such a problem with his right knee.

We're looking at ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair. Regarding the expectations, we expect a full recovery in six to nine months. The success rate for this surgery is above 95%. I've been treating Georges and I've done full surgery on him twice. His recovery rate is off the charts. He has amazing genetics, amazing physical capabilities. I know Georges will be back to the same level of competition that he was before the surgery."

St. Pierre has to decide between two different types of surgery, where he's going to have the surgery, when and who will do it.

St. Pierre said that when he tore his ACL, which he said was a few weeks ago, but he was unaware of it, there was no swelling and no symptoms.

"I hyperextended my leg. I got up like nothing happened. I went to have dinner. I have some discomfort. I had some instability of my knee and I went back training the next day. But a few weeks later, when things should have been fine, I was in Las Vegas and I was training with Vitor Belfort, my knee felt unstable. Some positions I couldn't do, but I was still training. I called Sebastian and said, `I have some instability. He said, `Let's take a picture. Let's not take a chance.' We were all surprised because the symptoms of an ACL tear weren't there at all."

St. Pierre had words for Cesar Gracie, the manager of Nick Diaz:

"One of the reporters said Cesar Gracie said something bad about me and that doesn't surprise me. People are saying bad stuff, `He's finished.' It's very easy to hit on a guy when he'd down. We having a saying in French, life goes up and down. People will laugh at me now. I'm in a downfall. I'm injured. Soon I won't be injured, I'll be back on top. Mark my words, I'll be back as champion."

--------------

--Former TUF winner Efrain Escudero is back with UFC and fights on the 12/30 show in Las Vegas against Jacob Volkmann. Escudero replaces an injured T.J. Grant. Escudero had been signed to fight in Houston next week but had to pull out of the bout.

-----

--All steroid tests came back clean for UFC 139

-From Chael Sonnen today at the UC for the UFC on Fox 2 Pressser

"I can assure you on January 28th, it's one more in the win column, one more on the mantle and one more for the bad guy."

"I got no problem with Anderson Silva, but I'm not going to change my schedule to kick his ass. Don't kid yourself, Anderson's not going to be fighting me in America, Brazil or Antarctica as long as as I'm trying to get a decent Brazilian steak. Anderson's not going to fight me and don't believe the hype that he is."

"I don't believe Anderson's hurt. He showed up at the training camp of Wanderlei Silva. That was caught on tape. He was training with Machida. That was caught on tape. How hard is it to be world champion beating up on math teachers. Try and give Anderson my schedule. I think he's ducking me and Dan Henderson."

"I'm not a wrestler. I'm a fighter from the mean streets of West Linn, OR. Everybody is saying thanks to Fox for being on the show. I say, Fox, you're welcome. You've been telling people you have the American Idol. Well, now you finally do."

"I held public office and left the only way a person should, in handcuffs."

"I don't have huge confidence I can get Mark (Munoz) down and I'm not confident I can keep him down. I'm confident it he gets me down he can't keep me down. I've been in the spot before with people I can't get down and we have to go at it the old fashioned way."

The most heat was actually Rashad Evans and Phil Davis:

Evans: "I'd prefer the knockout win because Phil needs to get knocked out."
Davis: "One of your buddies, Jon Jones, said you don't have much of a chin."
Evans: I'll bet you won't be able to even put your hands on me. I'll bet, I'll guarantee you'll be the first to take a shot. I'll guarantee because I'm going to put my hands on you worse than that other dude from Penn State."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:36 pm 

Bob Loblaw wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -xS-JbqmUA

Thanks for posting this Bob, really enjoyed it.

I do not see any way that Jones loses this fight.

Also, I think it is going to be a long night for the Nog family

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Im hoping to see this Saturday night. Im going to drop my bags at the door and order the PPV. I really can't get enough of watching Jon Jones beat the shit out of people.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:46 pm 

Miguel Torres has been released from the UFC due to his rape van tweet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:49 pm 

Heres the tweet

"If a rape van was called a surprise van
more women wouldn't mind going for rides
in them. Everyone likes surprises."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Mr. Hernandez wrote:
Heres the tweet

:shock:

WTF That is just moronic on so many levels. Good move Dana and good riddance asshole.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 pm 

wow. how long until the "someone hacked my twitter account" story comes out?

RFDC wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

Thanks for posting this Bob, really enjoyed it.

I do not see any way that Jones loses this fight.

Also, I think it is going to be a long night for the Nog family

No problem. I thought the Minotauro part was pretty good. Crowd was awesome.

My new favorite fighter. By far. ROWDY RONDA ROUSEY. Awesome listen. She might be better than Chael. Hates Mormans

FREE AUDIO! Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer talk to ROWDY RONDA ROUSEY about breakin arms, choosing MMA over Olympics, feud with Meisha Tate, her goals in MMA and afterwards, fake tap-outs, tons more!

Wrestling Observer Radio with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer returns today with special guest ROWDY RONDA ROUSEY to talk a ton of different subjects including her seven straight wins in pro and amateur MMA via armbar in less than 60 seconds, why she chose MMA over the 2012 Olympics in judo, making the transition, how she hooked up with JUDO GENE LEBELL, breaking girls arms and whether other girls have claimed they didn't tap in the past, where she got her nickname, and, of course, thoughts on Meisha Tate. An awesome show with Ronda, and best of all it's FREE,

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/cont ... -tons-more

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:39 pm 

jackref wrote:
Mr. Hernandez wrote:
Heres the tweet

WTF That is just moronic on so many levels. Good move Dana and good riddance asshole.

Forrest didnt get canned for his rape is the new missionary comment so Torres shouldnt get fired either

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Mr. Hernandez wrote:
jackref wrote:
Mr. Hernandez wrote:
Heres the tweet

Forrest didnt get canned for his rape is the new missionary comment so Torres shouldnt get fired either

I didn't hear that Forrest tweeted that but I would say yes that is fireable as well. If you want to be a legitimate sport and not be looked at as a bunch of dumbass meatheads then there is zero tolerance for shit like that.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:11 pm 

Dana on why he released Torres and the difference between the other fighters and why they weren't released.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/08/d ... ver-tweet/

(and it kinda makes sense, so far)

----------------

Arielhelwani Ariel Helwani
I did talk to someone close to him who chose to remain anonymous, and for whatever it is worth, ....

... he said Miguel was referencing a scene from the Comedy Central show "Workaholics" in his tweet.

@AdamHillLVRJ I was told it was 100% Workahlics. He was watching it when he tweeted it. They supposedly have a van called a "GRape Van."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I know UFC 140 is tommorow, but since were about 3 weeks away from Lesnar-Overeem, I think the big thing for Lesnar is how he looks in the first round, in his last 2 fights.

Carwin came real close to winning it in the first round and Velazquez did take him out in the first round.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:44 am 

A lot of people are picking Brock to win but I would be absolutely shocked if he does. Hasn't fought in a long time due to illness and he is gonna run for the hills once he eats a knee from Alistair. I think Overeem will demolish Brock

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:46 am 

Mr. Hernandez wrote:
A lot of people are picking Brock to win but I would be absolutely shocked if he does. Hasn't fought in a long time due to illness and he is gonna run for the hills once he eats a knee from Alistair. I think Overeem will demolish Brock

That is kinda where I am at on this as well. I am pulling for Brock, but not expecting him to win.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Listening to somebody last night, we will find out today if the Lesnar-Overeem fight is still on, the issue is Overeem getting a license in Vegas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:11 pm 

Not sure the license is the issue. Overeem's mom has been really sick, so he took his camp out of the states and went back home to be closer to her. I'm thinking there might be a issue with her.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:10 pm 

I read that it was a NSAC issue. Possible missed drug test. Just a rumor though

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm 

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN
I will be at the NSAC hearing today, where Overeem is applying for a figher's license. Sources confirm Mir has been asked if he'd be ready

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:54 pm 

Dan Henderson after UFC 140: Congrats to @jonnybones -- great win. Hey @danawhite, I'd like to see if his chin is as good as he thinks & I'm ready to go.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:58 pm 

I think Dan Henderson would get picked apart by Jones. The long reach advantage would be a bit too much for Henderson.

Evans I think has a better shot(if any) vs Jones as he has really good wrestling and would really just continue to try and take Jones down. Not saying Rashad's wrestling is better than Henderson's but Henderson is more likely to stick to that one punch knockout he always likes to go for.

That being said, I honestly think the only guy that would have a chance vs Jon Jones is Anderson Silva.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 pm 

I don't think Evans or Henderson has a shot against Jones, but I think Henderson would do better against him. I don't think Jones would respect Evans at all standing up. Jones would at least have to respect that one punch from Henderson.

But overall I agree with you, I do not see anyone right now in this weight class that can come close to Jones.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:28 pm 

Agree, I don't see anyone being able to beat Bones. Huge Hendo fan, but he would get knocked out in the first round. Hendo always gets caught and Jones would finish it. Evans and Davis really don't do much for me either, both probably get knocked out. White keeps talking about Jones being a Heavyweight eventually, so that would be really interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 pm 

Overeem conditionally licensed to fight Brock.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/12/2 ... -lesnar-at

Early on in the Nevada State Athletic Commission meeting today we got an ominous sign that something may be up with Alistair Overeem's licensing status. During a discussion about the success of out-of-competition drug testing, following up on a July 2010 meeting, They mentioned that the two most recent men asked to take a test were Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem.

Lesnar, they said, went to a hospital and took his test. Then they said that they would "discuss him later."

Overeem was eventually sworn in to answer questions.

He was notified on November 17 that he would need to take a random out of competition test, the commission did not hear back from Overeem's camp for five days. Then Overeem took a blood test on the 23rd but the test they were looking for was urine. He didn't actually take a urine test until December 7th, but that test was administered by his own private doctor, not by a testing facility which the commission did not care for.

Overeem said that he felt he did things in a quick manner. The commission grilled him over his timeline, asking why he didn't notify the UFC that he was leaving the country and why he didn't get the test done more quickly.

Overeem continued to pin the issues on his assistants, saying he was getting tested within a day each time his assistants told him he needed to and that his assistants are the ones who talk to the UFC. His assistant said that he works another full time job and isn't familiar with the Athletic Commission procedures and simply did the best that he could.

One of the biggest moments on the call was when Overeem said that he purchased the plane ticket to fly to see his mother on the 15th, two days prior to the request for testing. That made it appear that he did not jump the next flight to avoid the test.

In the end, the commission felt that his descriptions of the situations he dealt with were satisfactory for a license with some exceptions:

The test done by his doctor on the 7th of December is not sufficient. He will need to retest within 72 hours somewhere in the UK or elsewhere at a location of NSAC's choosing.
Overeem must drop another urine sample when he lands in the United States.
Overeem will be tested randomly twice over six months following the UFC 141 card.

So again, after much deliberation and a fishy timeline, it appears that the fight with Brock Lesnar will go on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:34 am 

Vitor and Wanderlei announced as TUF Brazil coaches

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:10 pm 

Will TUF Brazil be aired in the U.S? If so, it could be a tough watch, Silva is hard to understand.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:54 pm 

NOT news but a pretty funny video that was retweeted by Dana White himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78CDlBN8 ... ature=plcp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:57 pm 

By the way I watched the extended preview for the next UFC ppv and I swear if Brock Lesnar wasn't on it I would still order it to be able to watch Cerrone beat the shit out of Nate Diaz. That has to be an exciting fight. The preview is here

http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-141-fod-ppv

at about 6:50 shit gets really good

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next