It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMA News thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 pm 

Special edition of UFC Tonight at 7 on Fuel. Sonnen is scheduled to appear.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:16 pm 

UFC Tonight now moved to midnight tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:06 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I am in the minority on this one, but what does Jon Jones have to gain by taking on Sonnen with 8 days to prepare. Yes, I realize Sonnen has the same amount of time - and actually less since he wasn't preparing for any fight over the last couple months. And yes Jones SHOULD pummel him with this set up...BUT, what if - and this happens in MMA - Sonnen gets lucky and gets a fluke win?

To me, Sonnen has nothing to lose in this fight. Jones has everything to lose and he is already a champion. I'm sorry, but I'd pass to despite how much it pisses off Dana White. He shouldn't have had to cancel. He's weakened the cards over the past few months with these silly Fox events. Its Dana's own fault for not having enough depth to his cards. He needs to go back to no more than 12 ppv's a year...or less. But I know, money rules the roost.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:14 pm 

WTF is going on? Go to bed, and wake up to see Jones is now fighting Vitor. Also saw where White said Anderson offered to save UFC 151 against another LightHeavy Weight, but it was to late. Glad to see the real P4P Champ willing to step up for the company. White was really appreciative towards Silva.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: nowhere
I dont blame Jones. He had absolutely nothing to gain by fighting Chael. Although Jones would probably wreck Chael badly, anything can happen in mma. I think he should have fought but i cant blame him for not.

Also Dana white is the biggest bitch in this situation. He threw another hissy fit and killed UFC151 all by himself. He didnt have to cancel the event. Other fighters offered to step up

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:38 pm 

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 pm 

Aldo vs Koch has now been replaced with Aldo vs Edgar!!!! BOOM. That's an AWESOME fight.

Despite a pair of disappointing losses to current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson, former titleholder Frankie Edgar (14-3-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) will now get his shot at history.

USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) have learned that an undisclosed injury has forced Erik Koch (13-1, 2-0) to withdraw from a planned UFC 153 title fight with current featherweight champion Jose Aldo (21-1, 3-0), and Edgar has agreed to step into the evening's main event.

Edgar now looks to join UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture and Hawaiian superstar B.J. Penn as the only men to hold UFC championships in two different weight classes.

Now dubbed "UFC 153: Aldo vs. Edgar," the event takes place Oct. 13 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The evening's five-fight main card airs on pay-per-view.

On the heels of this weekend's canceled UFC 151 event, UFC President Dana White admitted he was disappointed to learn of Koch's injury. However, one call to Edgar quickly resulted in a turn for the better.

"Obviously, we've had a rough couple of weeks here at the UFC, and then sure enough, I walk in to work today, and Erik Koch is hurt," White said. "But Frankie Edgar, being the stud and the warrior that he is, steps up and accepts this fight."

The 5-foot-6 Edgar has long been questioned about a potential move to 145 pounds, but with a pair of wins over Penn and two now-legendary bouts with massive lightweight Gray Maynard, "The Answer" ruled the promotion's lightweight division for nearly two years. However, after Edgar's pair of razor-thin losses to Henderson, White urged the New Jersey native to consider a move to the featherweight division.

Now that Edgar is making the move, White said he can't wait to see this new championship matchup.

"I'm pumped," White said. "I think that people are going to be very excited for this fight.

"Frankie has had a tough go the last couple of times with the judges, but a lot of people think he belongs at 145 pounds. Well, here we go – Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar. People have been wanting to see this fight for a long time."

Meanwhile, Aldo enters UFC 153 with a 14-fight win streak. Since ruling World Extreme Cagefighting's 145-pound division and moving over to the fellow Zuffa-owned UFC as the promotion's first-ever featherweight champion, the Brazilian phenom has scored successful title defenses over Chad Mendes, Kenny Florian and Mark Hominick. Overall, Aldo is a remarkable 11-0 under the Zuffa banner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:15 pm 

This fight is better than seeing Koch, but would have liked to see Edgar actually earn it. If he loses a 3rd title fight in a row, he better not get another shot for a couple years. I'm really hoping for a nasty Aldo knockout of the Zuffa boy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Listening to the LAW, if GSP gets past Condit, the next fight could be Silva.

The only question if it happens, where does the fight take place?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:39 am 

schmitty1121 wrote:
This fight is better than seeing Koch, but would have liked to see Edgar actually earn it. If he loses a 3rd title fight in a row, he better not get another shot for a couple years. I'm really hoping for a nasty Aldo knockout of the Zuffa boy.

The only guy that really deserves a shot against Aldo was the Korean Zombie and he is out with an injury right now so even he wouldn't be able to fight him. I really wish there were more "Zuffa boys" that put up exciting fights almost every single time they step into the cage. Edgar vs Aldo has the potential to be fight of the year and I for one can't wait.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:41 am 

reents wrote:
Listening to the LAW, if GSP gets past Condit, the next fight could be Silva.

The only question if it happens, where does the fight take place?

Only 4 options for this really

Brazil,Canada,Las Vegas,Dallas Stadium

I can really only see Vegas and Canada being the only two they could go with. Vegas because it would have the big fight feel to it for sure, and Canada because they already have filled 55k into a stadium up there without a problem for UFC 129.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:15 pm 

Jon Jones first big interview since the cancellation of the PPV last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcyrkZ0t ... re=g-all-f

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 pm 

Jon Jones has alot of good points in this interview. He has done quite a bit for Dana White and because he doesn't want to take a fight on a weeks notice, all of a sudden he is a piece of a shit. Jon Jones basically has been the only champion within the last 5 years to fight on a consistent basis. The championship ppv's are the ones that draw more money and alot of his champions are more then happy to sit on the sidelines for months at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:15 pm 

Dana White will be on UFC Tonight, tonight, doing a extended interview with Ariel.

I listened to Jones interview, and while I agree with most of what he said, he still really needed to take that fight. I think he is now in a much tougher fight. I've been a Jones fan since he came into the UFC, but I'm kind of hoping for a Vitor win. I think a loss would help get Jones head straight again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:13 pm 

Wow, another tough day for the UFC. First Rampage had to drop out of his fight against Glover, and now Aldo is out against Frankie. White tweeted they have some work to do now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm 

schmitty1121 wrote:
Wow, another tough day for the UFC. First Rampage had to drop out of his fight against Glover, and now Aldo is out against Frankie. White tweeted they have some work to do now.

Aldo is basically going to go a whole year without defending his title. Outstanding. I really wish Korean Zombie was healthy and they could have him fight Frankie Edgar for the interim title. The UFC just can't catch a fucking break this year and these dipshit athletes need to learn how to train without hurting themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:21 pm 

Sounds like Aldo's injury was from his accident he was involved in a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 pm 

Your new main event at UFC 153 is, Anderson Silva vs Bonnar at 205, lol. This card is really some garbage. Dave Herman is fighting Big Nog. They have also found someone to fight Glover, nothing special.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:54 pm 

schmitty1121 wrote:
Your new main event at UFC 153 is, Anderson Silva vs Bonnar at 205, lol. This card is really some garbage. Dave Herman is fighting Big Nog. They have also found someone to fight Glover, nothing special.

I'm super excited that they didn't touch the card next week to try and take some fights from that one to fix this mess up. If I was Dana White I would be pissed that my champion got hurt in a motorcycle accident. Didn't any of these dumbass fucks learn anything from Frank Mir?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm 

4 fights that I'm legit excited for on the Jones/Belfort card on the main card and the Hamill return will be good for a smoke break.

Champ Jon Jones vs. Vitor Belfort - for light-heavyweight title
Joseph Benavidez vs. Demetrious Johnson - for inaugural flyweight title
Michael Bisping vs. Brian Stann
Matt Hamill vs. Roger Hollett
Charles Oliveira vs. Cub Swanson

Silva vs Bonnar is the name they need to bring fans to buy the PPV. You're fucking chaspopcapp nuts if you think Bonnar has any chance. Teixeria vs whoever the hell they fighting him isn't worth being a co main event. Whatever I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 pm 

Agree about next weeks card, should actually be good. Hopefully this is Bonnar's last fight. Would rather see Silva against a better figher, maybe Evans. Even though it wouldn't be for a belt, Silva/Sonnen 3 would of been great, especially in Brazil. Sounds like Nog/Herman will get co-main, guessing because it's in Brazil.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 am 

Jeremy Stephens is jailed in Iowa leaving Yves w/o an opponent

Heres Dana via the UG
dfw jr wrote:
So here's the deal. I have been working since 11am to get him out of jail. the people in Iowa hate this kid and are going to stick it to him for SURE. Everytime I would cut a deal for bail they would change the deal and I was willing to do anything. They kept changing the deal thinking I would tapout and when I didn't they left me hangin changing it every 5 mins. People atl Minn Sheriffs Dept were amazing and I wNt to thank them. He has been in town since Monday and they arrested him Friday at 11am for a reason to really fuck him. I literally just told Yves he wasn't fighting 35 mins ago. He is a TRUE OLD SCHOOL PRO who waited all night for us to try and get Jeremy here!!!!! It is a pleasure being in biz with u Yves. So I wanted u the fans to hear it from me first.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 pm 

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and former middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen (28-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) will serve as coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 17" on FX.

The coaching assignments, as well as an April 27 fight date, today were confirmed by the Los Angeles Times.

Due to his coaching duties, Sonnen no longer will fight Forrest Griffin (19-7 MMA, 10-5 UFC) at UFC 155 in December.

"TUF 17" filming begins Oct. 29, and the show then debuts on FX in January. The 17th edition of the UFC's long-running reality series is expected to feature middleweight and light-heavyweight fighters. Open tryouts for the tournament-based competition and show recently drew more than 120 UFC hopefuls.

Jones and Sonnen will serve as head coaches of opposing teams. As with past seasons of "TUF," their coach-vs.-coach fight will headline a pay-per-view event soon after the series' 12-week run on FX.

Sonnen, who suffered a second loss to middleweight champion Anderson Silva in his most recent bout, was targeted for a late-notice light-heavyweight fight with Jones at UFC 151. However, when Jones declined to take the fight on eight days' notice following an injury to original opponent Dan Henderson, UFC officials ultimately canceled the Sept. 1 show outright.

Although Jones said he offered to fight Sonnen a few weeks later at UFC 152, officials instead paired him up with Lyoto Machida and then ultimately Vitor Belfort, whom he submitted in the fourth round.

But since the UFC 151 cancellation, Sonnen hasn't missed an opportunity to call out Jones, even though he's currently booked to fight light heavyweight Forrest Griffin at UFC 155 in December.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Jones recently tweeted that he was warming up to the idea of fighting Sonnen.

"The more I realize how bad the fans want to see me fight Sonnen the more I am beginning to disregard whether he deserves it or not," Jones recently tweeted. "A part of me wants to do it for the fans. The other part of me feels as if it delegitimizes the importance of (the) championship."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am 

Only Chael Sonnen can shit talk his way into one title fight, get destroyed then shit talk his way into another title fight as his very next fight against a guy he stands even less of a chance at beating. Good job Dana...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:02 am 

Mr. Hernandez wrote:
Only Chael Sonnen can shit talk his way into one title fight, get destroyed then shit talk his way into another title fight as his very next fight against a guy he stands even less of a chance at beating. Good job Dana...

yeah, but just think of the great theater it is going to be.

Sonnen on TUF is going to be great.

Jones is going to want to rip his head off in like 2 mins into the first show. The buildup for the fight will be great.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:13 am 

Mr. Hernandez wrote:

Actually he only shit talked his way into the title fight with Jon Jones. He won the number one contenders fight with Nate Marquardt in February of 2010 that led to him getting the title shot vs Anderson. Than he promptly whooped Anderson's ass for 23 mins which pretty much resulted in him getting another title shot.

As for him getting the title shot at Jon Jones, I totally agree with it. There was 1 man that was clamoring for a title shot vs Jones and that was Dan Henderson. When he got hurt, was there anyone of those 205ers that stepped up to the plate to get that shot? Not at all. But the problem with giving Dan Henderson another shot at Jon Jones is that he would basically have to sit on the sidelines for almost 2 years to be able to fight Jon Jones(His last fight was with Rua in November 2011). Machida and Rua both turned Dana down. Gustafsson is the only one that hasn't had a shot at Jones and he is still pretty raw and needed a fight or two more. So why not Chael Sonnen?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:15 pm 

The UFC have put themselves in a tough spot now. They're giving Sonnen a title shot without coming close to earning it. Evans has come out and said he asked to fight Silva, but Dana told him he needed to win a fight at 185 first. White also said earlier this week that Diaz would have to fight 1 contender before being considered for a title shot at 170. He could be facing some angry fighters with some of his double standards.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:19 pm 

schmitty1121 wrote:
The UFC have put themselves in a tough spot now. They're giving Sonnen a title shot without coming close to earning it. Evans has come out and said he asked to fight Silva, but Dana told him he needed to win a fight at 185 first. White also said earlier this week that Diaz would have to fight 1 contender before being considered for a title shot at 170. He could be facing some angry fighters with some of his double standards.

I think if Anderson Silva actually wanted to fight Evans than Dana would make that happen. I don't really see Silva taking too many more fights where he knows he doesn't have a huge advantage like what's going on with him pushing the GSP fight. He's way bigger and has quite a bit better striking and he's gonna make a boat load of money on that. I know he's now saying he won't fight Jon Jones for the LHW belt because his teammates are in that division and I think that's a bunch of bullshit. Machida already lost and I'm about as close to a title shot as Little Nog.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 pm 

TMZ is reporting that Ronda Rousey is on her way to the UFC. They're also reporting that the last Strikeforce event will be in January.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next