It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All-Time UFC top 10
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I'm trying to becoma a fan. I picked up a Royce Gracie DVD for 10 bucks. He's an amazing fighter,but I'm interested how seasoned UFC fans rate the fighters.

Trivia: On the DVD,they showed the very 1st match in "Ultimate Fighting History". The Sumo Wrestler who got his ass kicked now co-stars on Hawaii 5-0. He is the fat guy who owns the food truck.

Post subject: Re: All-Time UFC top 10
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
gotta have georges st pierre on that list and anderson silva...the free fights on fox last week were probably the worst i have ever seen...i turned them off after an hour..you should watch the condit/diaz fight tomorrow..both are well rounded and very aggressive..will be exciting fight. and randy coture should be on that list too

Last edited by 312player on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
http://www.amazon.com/UFC-Ultimate-100- ... B002GU65M4 It's $89 which is alot but maybe if you have a special someone in your life they can buy it for you for Valentines day or a bday or something. Watch these fights if you really have a desire to become a fan. The PPV's can be good and they can be really really bad at times also.

My all time top 5fighters in the UFC would have to go:

1) Royce Gracie(as I don't think anyone now would be able to do what he did back then besides maybe Anderson Silva)
2) Anderson Silva
3) GSP
4)Matt Hughes
5)BJ Penn

I'm not the biggest Penn fan in the world but he does have great fights that people do remember over time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
It's hard to say. There's 7 weight classes now, up from 5. There's a lot of guys like Clay Guida who will never win a title, but has more entertaining fights than most of the champs. GSP is great, but his fights suck. Anderson is hit or miss as far as entertainment. Most of the guys I like watching are high energy guys like: Clay Guida, Frankie Edgar, Nick and Nate Diaz, Ben Henderson, Johnny Bones Jones.

It all depends what you're looking for. Some people want stars, some people will take 2 unknowns and if its a great fight they don't mind, other will shit on it if they haven't heard of the guys. I think any of the Gracie's in their prime would be crushed by the top modern guys. Hughes destroyed Royce (who also failed for steroids), but Royce was kinda old.

Put UFC unleashed on spike in your rotation or check out the Fuel channel. Unleashed is a greatest hits show, so all of the bad stuff is weeded out.

If you look at the guys who defended their title the most times, its a pretty good indication of who's the best: ( i weeded a few irrelevant guys out)

Fighter Streak Timeframe
Anderson Silva 9 2007-2011(active)
Georges St. Pierre 6 2008-2011(active)
Matt Hughes 5, 2 2002-2003, 2005-2006
Tito Ortiz 5 2000-2002
Chuck Liddell 4 2005-2006
BJ Penn 3 2008-2009
Frankie Edgar 3 2010-2011 (active)
Jose Aldo * 3 2011-2012 (active)
Randy Couture 2 2001
Brock Lesnar 2 2008-2010
Jon Jones 2 2011 (active)
Dominic Cruz * 2 2011 (active)

* WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and WEC bantamweight champion Dominic Cruz were awarded UFC championship titles as a part of the WEC/UFC merger, technically marking their first UFC bouts as title defences.

It's personal taste imo. All of the obvious stuff applies. Big dudes are slow and hit hard, little dudes the opposite. You saw what happened at UFC Fox 1 with the big guys, but sometimes its awesome. Lightweight division and Light-Heavyweight usually seem to have the best fights it seems.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hey Bob,
Thanks guys. You provided a lot of info. I still rather watch 'rasslin,but a lifetime habit is hard to break.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
np Jimmy. By the way, your guy Dick 'The Destroyer' 'Doctor X' Beyer, put out a book a few weeks ago. Should be pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Masked-Decisions- ... 0983554897

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.