It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Terry's Peeps wrote:
That's a great review of that cluserfuck.

Who wrote it?

I did, silly!

It was bad and really showed that WCW's "Creative" didn't know how to plan or execute a program correctly from beginning to end. The inmates were def. in control of the asylum and it killed the company.

You went from the hottest program in wrestling history (or close to it) and just drive into the ground, burn it and leave it for dead...in the end you had the NWO 2000.

Sad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Sting called that match with Hogan the "biggest of his career" last night at his TNA Hall of Fame speech.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:48 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Sting called that match with Hogan the "biggest of his career" last night at his TNA Hall of Fame speech.

It was a huge match, no doubt. The build up over 18 months or so, the hype, the slow burn to an inferno! The rafters, the silence!

It was huge, biggest in WCW and one of the bigger matches in wrestling history.

The match itself was alright. The ending and how WCW handled what came after was abysmal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
SomeGuy wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

It was a huge match, no doubt. The build up over 18 months or so, the hype, the slow burn to an inferno! The rafters, the silence!

It was huge, biggest in WCW and one of the bigger matches in wrestling history.

The match itself was alright. The ending and how WCW handled what came after was abysmal.

I agree for over a year WCW had you wondering what was next. Fake Stings,kidnapping of Brutus. Sting coming down from the rafter or through the ring or the multiple Stings. Then the shit the bed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:55 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Starrcade '97 should've been Sting beating Hogan clean to end the NWO. They just couldn't kill the black-and-white golden goose.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Anytime a Gagne was near a championship belt. Same goes (though less so) for Mike Graham.

ThatGuy is his own biggest fan. He was pretty insufferable on those Legends of Wrestling roundtables on WWE channel.

Maybe I really am CrankyVince. Hmm.

Cranky Vince ‏@CrankyVince
MIKE GRAHAM'S GHOST ASKING ME IF HE'S STILL BOOKED FOR LEGENDS ROUNDTABLE NEXT MONTH.

:lol: :lol:

Edit: He might actually be dead. There are conflicting reports on the Internet.

The MiC ‏@NYCTheMiC
Wow Mike Graham died, the inventor of WCW & the body slam if you asked him. Rip

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Apparently died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Just like his dad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:47 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Apparently died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Just like his dad.

Mike's son also committed suicide.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm 

Bump.

Oh, Kid, we are all still waiting for your input on this one.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
SomeGuy wrote:
Bump.

Oh, Kid, we are all still waiting for your input on this one.....

Great thread SomeGuy. I've got a few for this one. I'll reread to make sure I'm not repeating anything.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:15 pm 

RFDC wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Every Kane feud

no

Exception for the original one that brought him in

Other than that he is complete garbage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Every Kane feud

no

He's a decent big and I think if he was used correctly he could actually be good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:18 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Every Kane feud

no

I really liked the storyline with X-Pac from 1999, where X-Pac showed him true friendship and taught him how to care about people....then he turned on him. It was a great build, and a great heel turn by Pac.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Every Kane feud

no

I really liked the storyline with X-Pac from 1999, where X-Pac showed him true friendship and taught him how to care about people....then he turned on him. It was a great build, and a great heel turn by Pac.

That was very done and quite humorous at times. But now you have 2013 Kane....is he undead? Is he an evil minion from Hell? Is he just a guy in red tights?

What the hell is he?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm 

I value Vocal skills and mic work. I guess that's why I find Kane useless.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I value Vocal skills and mic work. I guess that's why I find Kane useless.

That's fair. I think everyone has their favorite stuff. I think there was more intrigue to Kane's character when he didn't talk, but I understand you can only keep that up for so long.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:26 pm 

RPB you admittedly have not watched much wrestling over the last decade. How do you know enough to call Kane complete garbage?

Kane is not great by any means, but he has had a nice run and has done some good things. To call him completely garbage is not fair at all.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
For me, being 32 now the Hogan/Warrior match at WM6 always stands out. I'll never be ~11yrs old again at a time where the original contemporary super face template was at the height of his powers and has a match against a then-booked-as unstoppable force.... and of course the ref being knocked out for what shoulda been the victory for Hogan and then to see him do his Hulking Up gimmick a couple's times only to have it all fall short at the end? Wow, it was huge when I was a kid. Hogan was the golden standard and it always felt like all was right in the world when he was champ. He was unbeatable, as you had FAITH in his hulking up to turn the tables no matter the odds and carry the day. On that night that didn't happen. It was unfathomable to a kid who didn't know what pushes and jobbing was all about.

WM6 was the only mania we ever ordered and it got me interested enough to go to my local video store and rent manuals 1-5 and see how we got to that point. It was a magical time, cuz by the time there were Japanese tourists flashbang-blinding Hogan for Yokozuna, let alone the WCW move, I had stopped watching wrestling, buying comic books, and all that golden age stuff. I was more interested in kicking your ass at NBA Jam.

So while this is subjectively personal in relation to my own experiences, still, Hogan/Warrior WM6 was the peak of pro wrestling for me. Nowadays I'd look at the matchup and laugh at the time killing Greco toman knuckle kicking and the move-free arsenals of the wrestlers and be left with one pervasive all-encompassing thought: hot damn do I miss Gorilla Monsoon and Heenan calling matches. We had it good back then, the day and age when Saturday Night's Main Event was appointment viewing. You even had to wait til it was 1030pm on Saturday and get permission from mom and dad to stay up and watch. It felt like a special event.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:06 pm 

Also, fuck autocorrect. The concept that my phone knows better than me is insulting
I don't mind the auto fixes of common typos to save me time, but changing manias to manuals and Greco roman knuckle locks to Greco roman knuckle kicking is akin to my phone flipping me off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I was 33 when Hogan & UW bumped knuckles and I still loved it. They were not "great" move guys but it entertained me. I love all kind of Pro Wrestling. The guys with moves,guys with gimmicks,etc. If it's done well,it's all good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:46 pm 

Oh fuck I thought this thread was for the best/worst matches/feuds of all time. Yeeeargh. Well then, I'll stay with Hogan and Warrior and go with their WCW feud circa 97-98. By then Hofan was brokering his power wholesale and Warrior.... well, he's a rascal, what can I say?

They cashed in all of the awe and wonder of WM6 and turned out a pointlessly shitty dually self-indulgemt feud/match which has stood the test of time as one of the business' worst moments. It's literally the embodiment of everything that's wrong with wrestling, and I'm looking at you TNA, cuz like.... brilliant matches/feuds are a time and a place in wrestling history. Recreating them for the sake of getting an easy buck almost always falls flat...... that is, until ROCK/CENA 2 GIVES US THE MATCH OF A LIFETIME.... AGAIN.

BTW I'm from the future and ROCK/ CENA 6 is where it really gets good. Mania will be renown for its annual ROCK/CENA MATCH OF A LIFETIME, reinforcing the idea that WWE is made for infants.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
I was 33 when Hogan & UW bumped knuckles and I still loved it. They were not "great" move guys but it entertained me. I love all kind of Pro Wrestling. The guys with moves,guys with gimmicks,etc. If it's done well,it's all good.

Amen!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:03 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Del Rio / Big Show. This thing has gone on forever and there seems to be no end in sight. How many pushes has Capt. Insano gotten?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Orton vsKingston

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
Some really good ones in there, but Kane is awesome. A few of my least favorite/lamest: Vince and Shane vs HBK and God (may have also included the spirit squad), Oklahoma, Terri Runnels miscarriage, That one time Earthquake squashed Damien, Fake Razor, fake Diesel, and nwo Sting, WCW 1999-2001, Outback Jack, everything involving Al Snow, The Alliance to End Hulkamania

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Oklahoma was a real classy bit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 pm 

Isaac Yankem was better than Kane.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 pm 

RFDC wrote:
RPB you admittedly have not watched much wrestling over the last decade. How do you know enough to call Kane complete garbage?

Kane is not great by any means, but he has had a nice run and has done some good things. To call him completely garbage is not fair at all.

I feel like if I watch a guy for five years its enough to judge him

I just can't tolerate bad mix skills. I WON'T tolerate it.

Oklahoma was fucking hilarious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:55 am 

Starrcade 2000

WCW World Heavyweight title

Scott Steiner vs Sid Vicious

This was a terrible feud a poor build up and a bad match. Clocking in at a scant 15min it featured many punches, poor timing and missed spots. It was really the beginning of a program between the 2 wrestlers that would, i guess, culminate abruptly on Thunder a month or so later with "Mystery Men" interferring with the Steiner-Sid match...wearing black and white leotards and flimsy hockey masks...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Back to the Starrcade 2000....Some time before this match Steiner had won his first title and was gloating on Nitro about no one being around to fight him. No Sting, no Hogan, The Rock is doing movies....Steve Austin was mentioned as well. Flair comes out, congratulates Steiner and says that he does have an opponent for him, that he is in the A+ list with Rock and Austin and that he won't reveal this superstar until it's 5 min to show time on Starrcade. Wow! What a buildup. Anyways, well, this superstar turned out to be none other than Sid Vicious...looking large but out of shape and a bit pudgy, he certainly didn't have his ring legs and he was quite a bit older.

The Match:
It was wreck, slow paced, missed spots....Midajah interferes, Jarret runs in with his guitar, both guys apply basic amounts of very limited offense...Steiner hit a T-Bone suplex, I guess that was cool....Sid did a lot of body slams and some punching. It lasted all of 15 minutes and there was ZERO heat from the crowd of 6,000 fans, the lighting was extra dark that night. This was the pinnacle show for WCW, their Wrestlemania, there BIG DEAL....and it looked terrible, the matches sucked, no heat. It was dead, gents, dead. And the main event was pimped as the second coming only to feature Sid Fucking Vicious....who I like, but was blown up 5 minutes in. This was when Steiner went into complete and total physical decline. Injuries, muscle tears and decreased ring performance were his calling cards...his body was falling to pieces. This destruction would be born to the world for all to see during Steiner's return to the WWE after a bit of a layoff...I've already covered that one, though. Sid was cashing a paycheck, he could still move about and such but he was mailing it in...then again, so was everyone else. This Starrcade had a tag match between Nash/DDP and The Perfect Event...horrible. I mean, Sid just shows up and gets a shot at the title? BAD.

The After:
Nothing really. The poor mans feud would only last another few months or so and would end tragically with the snapping of Sid's ankle. That was that and shortly after that was that for WCW. 6k for this show....I'm sure not all of them were paying fans. This was in the middle of a long slide by WCW that was nearing its end. Crowds shrank to nothing, wrestler apathy was king, Russo was doing his best to destroy the company and the main wrestlers were fucking shit up backstage. It was a stunning decline of a once powerful wrestling powerhouse. Management/bookers/Nash/Hogan etc. had a real chance with the Hogan/Sting match to dominate the wrestling landscape for years to come, instead they fucked it up completely and totally and let their egos chart a disastrous course for the company.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:42 pm 

OriginalKidCairo wrote:
Great thread and great choice of a feud. I have a different one, but I will frame mine similarly to how you did yours.

SomeGuy....MyGuy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next