It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I fell down a rabbit hole and now I'm watching Macho Man: The Randy Savage Story. It's on Peacock.

I love The Macho Man. He was great.

Yes he was! My all-time favorites:

Macho Man
Dusty Rhodes
Roddy Piper
Gino Hernandez
Terry Funk
Bockwinkel/Heenan
Flair (obviously)

Gino! now that is a name I didnt expect to find on your list.

I completely get your love for Terry Funk considering his run as Chainsaw charlie!

:lol:

That old WCCW show from the Sportatorium was insane. There was a riot every week involving the Freebirds, Von Erichs, Chris Adams, Gino, Abdullah, Missing Link, etc. What a great time for wrestling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:27 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I fell down a rabbit hole and now I'm watching Macho Man: The Randy Savage Story. It's on Peacock.

I love The Macho Man. He was great.

Yes he was! My all-time favorites:

Macho Man
Dusty Rhodes
Roddy Piper
Gino Hernandez
Terry Funk
Bockwinkel/Heenan
Flair (obviously)

Gino! now that is a name I didnt expect to find on your list.

I completely get your love for Terry Funk considering his run as Chainsaw charlie!

:lol:

That old WCCW show from the Sportatorium was insane. There was a riot every week involving the Freebirds, Von Erichs, Chris Adams, Gino, Abdullah, Missing Link, etc. What a great time for wrestling.

No doubt. Those were great times. So many good personalities and managers in that group. Percy Pringle. Gary Hart.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:49 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I remember watching the Von Erichs on some weird UHF channel back in the day.

Pre-Google you would hear some horrible stories that, because it was wrestling, you didn’t know if you should believe them. But, sadly, true.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's

Pre-Google you would hear some horrible stories that, because it was wrestling, you didn’t know if you should believe them. But, sadly, true.

Kerry Von Erich could have been and should have been one of the biggest stars in the history of professional wrestling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:54 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:

Kerry Von Erich could have been and should have been one of the biggest stars in the history of professional wrestling.

Let's not get crazy. Kerry was really good and had a great look, but he was not even the best of the Von Erich boys.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:19 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
This doc is good. Worth a watch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:51 am 

RFDC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Let's not get crazy. Kerry was really good and had a great look, but he was not even the best of the Von Erich boys.

A million dollar look, athletic, brought in female fans, the other Von Erich boys were regional or maybe Southern stars, but Kerry was the one Vince wanted to bring up, and would have if his issues with addiction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:00 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

A million dollar look, athletic, brought in female fans, the other Von Erich boys were regional or maybe Southern stars, but Kerry was the one Vince wanted to bring up, and would have if his issues with addiction.

David was the one who had it all. He was set to be a NWA champ, so he was way more than a regional/southern star.

No dissing Kerry at all and he did win the NWA title for a short time, but he only did so because David died but they all knew Kerry was not one who could carry that belt. Vince no doubt loved Kerry and wanted him, but that was more about expanding into new markets.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:10 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
RFDC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

David was the one who had it all. He was set to be a NWA champ, so he was way more than a regional/southern star.

No dissing Kerry at all and he did win the NWA title for a short time, but he only did so because David died but they all knew Kerry was not one who could carry that belt. Vince no doubt loved Kerry and wanted him, but that was more about expanding into new markets.

As I remember it, Kerry Von Erich was still that dude even when David was alive. Kerry was always the one that received the biggest push.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:37 am 

The Ultimate Warrior gimmick would have been perfect for Kerry, he was a better athlete, better worker, understood the business better, but Vince went with a roided up and somewhat undependable Jimmy Helwig over a drugged up and totally undependable Kerry Von Erich.

Still find it hard to believe that he later was able to pull off the Texas Tornado thing after half of his foot had been amputated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:18 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
The Ultimate Warrior gimmick would have been perfect for Kerry, he was a better athlete, better worker, understood the business better, but Vince went with a roided up and somewhat undependable Jimmy Helwig over a drugged up and totally undependable Kerry Von Erich.

Still find it hard to believe that he later was able to pull off the Texas Tornado thing after half of his foot had been amputated.

I think the one thing which made it easier for Vince to use Dingo as opposed to Kerry was that Dingo had very little name recognition at the time. Whereas Kerry Von Erich was already a household name by the time he came to the WWF

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:56 pm 

Here is some good stuff on that era. David was going to be a future star.

Quote:
It is often said that David would have been NWA World Champion at some point in his career. In fact, I would say you're hard pressed to find someone who was in the business during that era who would disagree that David Von Erich was World Championship material. Just prior to his death, David was involved in a feud with Ric Flair over the NWA Missouri Heavyweight Championship. This may sound like a small, regional title but it's history reads like a "Who's Who" of former World Champions, being held by such people as the aforementioned Flair, Terry Funk, Gene Kiniski, Dory Funk Jr., Bob Backlund, Jack Brisco and Harley Race. Given it's lineage, it is often thought that holding this title, and the subsequent feud with Flair, were the NWA's way of grooming David for a future World Title reign. Further seeds were sewn when David wrestled Flair in December 1983 for the NWA World Title (which Flair had regained at the inaugural Starrcade event) at Reunion Arena. Despite losing this match, in January 1984 the NWA were believed to have voted in favour of David becoming Champion by defeating Flair in March or April of that year.

Unfortunately these plans never came to fruition. David's death in February would shock the wrestling world. In his home state of Texas, the Dallas Morning News reported that anything from 3,000 to 7,000 mourners were expected at his funeral. Not being able to fulfil his potential and become World Heavyweight Champion, his brother Kerry took his place in a match against Ric Flair for the NWA Title at the annual "Parade Of Champions" event. Approximately 50,000 people were in attendance to see Kerry beat Flair via a Backslide in little over 11 minutes.

Considering how the future of WCCW panned out, I think it would be difficult to say where David's career would have gone should he had not passed away. The ill-fated merger with the AWA and CWA the formation of "Pro Wrestling USA" followed by the sale of WCCW to CWA's Jerry Jarrett and the beginnings of the USWA have been well documented. Kerry would of course go on to limited success in the WWE and stayed loyal to WCCW until the promotions demise. If David had become World Champion he would have appeared for other territories as the Champion, giving him much more exposure however the loyalty demonstrated by his brothers in the years after his death may have also been a trait of his, therefore limiting his chances in the wider world of wrestling. However it would be impossible to say what the future of WCCW would have been should David had survived. I think it's also important to mention that given his size (6'7" and 240lbs), there is no doubt that he fitted perfectly in to the WWE mould. Considering he was only 25 when he died, he would have been hitting his prime in the mid to late 90's and would no doubt have featured prominently in either the WWE or WCW.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
The Missing Link wrote:

As I remember it, Kerry Von Erich was still that dude even when David was alive. Kerry was always the one that received the biggest push.

In Dallas, yes...in reality, David was the one Fritz trusted to nationalize the family...he'd send him to Florida, Japan, Missouri, etc and was in line to beat Flair at some point in 84. And if Vince had seen David, he probably would have creamed his pants...he was a legit 6'6", built like a brick shithouse. Depending on who you believe, he either od'd or had some stomach thing that killed him. Brody always claimed he was clean, so who knows...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:23 am 

RFDC wrote:
Here is some good stuff on that era. David was going to be a future star.

Quote:
It is often said that David would have been NWA World Champion at some point in his career. In fact, I would say you're hard pressed to find someone who was in the business during that era who would disagree that David Von Erich was World Championship material. Just prior to his death, David was involved in a feud with Ric Flair over the NWA Missouri Heavyweight Championship. This may sound like a small, regional title but it's history reads like a "Who's Who" of former World Champions, being held by such people as the aforementioned Flair, Terry Funk, Gene Kiniski, Dory Funk Jr., Bob Backlund, Jack Brisco and Harley Race. Given it's lineage, it is often thought that holding this title, and the subsequent feud with Flair, were the NWA's way of grooming David for a future World Title reign. Further seeds were sewn when David wrestled Flair in December 1983 for the NWA World Title (which Flair had regained at the inaugural Starrcade event) at Reunion Arena. Despite losing this match, in January 1984 the NWA were believed to have voted in favour of David becoming Champion by defeating Flair in March or April of that year.

Unfortunately these plans never came to fruition. David's death in February would shock the wrestling world. In his home state of Texas, the Dallas Morning News reported that anything from 3,000 to 7,000 mourners were expected at his funeral. Not being able to fulfil his potential and become World Heavyweight Champion, his brother Kerry took his place in a match against Ric Flair for the NWA Title at the annual "Parade Of Champions" event. Approximately 50,000 people were in attendance to see Kerry beat Flair via a Backslide in little over 11 minutes.

Considering how the future of WCCW panned out, I think it would be difficult to say where David's career would have gone should he had not passed away. The ill-fated merger with the AWA and CWA the formation of "Pro Wrestling USA" followed by the sale of WCCW to CWA's Jerry Jarrett and the beginnings of the USWA have been well documented. Kerry would of course go on to limited success in the WWE and stayed loyal to WCCW until the promotions demise. If David had become World Champion he would have appeared for other territories as the Champion, giving him much more exposure however the loyalty demonstrated by his brothers in the years after his death may have also been a trait of his, therefore limiting his chances in the wider world of wrestling. However it would be impossible to say what the future of WCCW would have been should David had survived. I think it's also important to mention that given his size (6'7" and 240lbs), there is no doubt that he fitted perfectly in to the WWE mould. Considering he was only 25 when he died, he would have been hitting his prime in the mid to late 90's and would no doubt have featured prominently in either the WWE or WCW.

I don't doubt that he would have been a star. But at the time he was alive Kerry was thee star of the family. And considering that he was a couple of years younger than David, it's tough for me to deny that Kerry was the one that they were really pushing.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:37 am 

Link, I am not down playing Kerry. He was the star of the family after Davids death. But as boyd pointed our Fritz trusted David. David was the one that had it all. He had the mind, body, mic skills. He was the biggest of all of them. And he was a great worker. I have heard old timers say that David was the best of Fritz, Kevin and Kerry put together. He had Fritz's mind. Kevins athletic ability and Kerry's charisma and look.

Vince would have been all over him once he saw him, but sadly he died at like 25 before Vince really got focused on that area of the country.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:08 pm 

Speaking of the Von Erichs, I met 'cousin' Lance once in Mexico about 15 years ago. Dude was in his early to mid 50's at the time and was huge - bodybuilder type. He said he had a book (which I wasn't about to go pick up) that talked about his time with WCCW but said it was fun but it also sucked since he was never truly accepted by the guys or the fans. Said everything you heard about Ric Flair was true. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:19 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Speaking of the Von Erichs, I met 'cousin' Lance once in Mexico about 15 years ago. Dude was in his early to mid 50's at the time and was huge - bodybuilder type. He said he had a book (which I wasn't about to go pick up) that talked about his time with WCCW but said it was fun but it also sucked since he was never truly accepted by the guys or the fans. Said everything you heard about Ric Flair was true. :lol:

:lol: thats awesome.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:04 am 

The Von Erich era was fascinating and would make a great movie. The kids all must have been under incredible pressure to preform, the entire family depended on them to keep the family business afloat, must be the reason so many of them ended up killing themselves.

Have heard Michael Hayes interviewed where he talks about how the Freebirds were supposed to be the bad boy party guys, but they were nowhere near as wild and crazy as the Von Erich boys, and that Fritz would tell him that he actually understood the business better than his boys did and wished he was his son.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:48 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
The Von Erich era was fascinating and would make a great movie.

It's being made. Zac Efron is playing Kevin I think

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:32 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
The Von Erich era was fascinating and would make a great movie. The kids all must have been under incredible pressure to preform, the entire family depended on them to keep the family business afloat, must be the reason so many of them ended up killing themselves.

Have heard Michael Hayes interviewed where he talks about how the Freebirds were supposed to be the bad boy party guys, but they were nowhere near as wild and crazy as the Von Erich boys, and that Fritz would tell him that he actually understood the business better than his boys did and wished he was his son.

WCCW was eminently fascinating to me as a child. It just always seemed as if there were a lot of guys that did a lot of drugs who were a part of that particular federation. Moreso probably than any other Federation that I can remember.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:50 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

WCCW was eminently fascinating to me as a child. It just always seemed as if there were a lot of guys that did a lot of drugs who were a part of that particular federation. Moreso probably than any other Federation that I can remember.

Seems that in the territory days the wresters lived a very similar life to musicians, ride all day to a gig, take uppers to get yourself hyped up to perform, drink yourself into oblivion that night, and stagger into the car for the long ride to the next gig the next morning, the exception being that the wrestlers were also injecting themselves with massive amounts of steroids.

This has presented quite a bit of antidotal data about the negative impact of long time steroid abuse on the human circulatory system as these guys drop dead due to cardiac disease in their late 40's to early 50's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:45 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Seems that in the territory days the wresters lived a very similar life to musicians, ride all day to a gig, take uppers to get yourself hyped up to perform, drink yourself into oblivion that night, and stagger into the car for the long ride to the next gig the next morning, the exception being that the wrestlers were also injecting themselves with massive amounts of steroids.

This has presented quite a bit of antidotal data about the negative impact of long time steroid abuse on the human circulatory system as these guys drop dead due to cardiac disease in their late 40's to early 50's.

There was steroids use for sure but there always seems to be a ton of guys who came out of there that had coke addictions too. More than probably any other federation that I can remember. Hard to think of it now in retrospect, but back then the Von Erichs were actually viewed as a family of "All American Boys".

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:04 am 

Now I got sucked into watching a doc on WCCW.

Michael Hayes was a guy I probably saw but didn't remember much. Hilarious.

"Kerry Von Erich is so stupid it takes him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes." LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:17 am 

WCCW was basically Fritz trying to bring in guys to work with his kids, really was surprising he was able to make it into such a big money maker for a few years because his kids were out partying while the guys they had the misfortune of working with had to carry them because they were too stoned to work.

Flair and Lawler, two guys that supposedly could have a match with a broomstick and make it look good both talk about how difficult it was to get Kerry through a match, but that he was so over they were willing to try because they knew they could make money with him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:01 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
The Von Erich era was fascinating and would make a great movie.

It's being made. Zac Efron is playing Kevin I think

Just saw something about the upcoming movie, will definitely check it out because it could be quite entertaining if they do it the right way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:02 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
There was steroids use for sure but there always seems to be a ton of guys who came out of there that had coke addictions too. More than probably any other federation that I can remember. Hard to think of it now in retrospect, but back then the Von Erichs were actually viewed as a family of "All American Boys".

If you have Hulu, the Dark Side of the Ring documentaries are on there. The Von Erich one was good. So was the Bruiser Brody one. The whole series is pretty great though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:24 am 

Yeah the Dark Side stuff is really good.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:31 am 

RFDC wrote:

Tales from the Territories starts tonight...the Rock's production company is involved I think with the Dark Side guys. They're covering Memphis Wrestling tonight and Lawler vs Kauffman next week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:33 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Tales from the Territories starts tonight...the Rock's production company is involved I think with the Dark Side guys. They're covering Memphis Wrestling tonight and Lawler vs Kauffman next week.

Yeah that is going to be a fun watch. Can't wait.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:08 am 

RFDC wrote:

Now I'm caught up watching this.

This shit is fascinating. This Brody one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 88  Next