It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shane-O-Mac
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Don Tiny wrote:
Speaking of terrible posts, I was just now wondering if they'd go back to the well of Raw vs Smackdown, but instead of separate rosters, you'd have face Shane (or his designee) running Raw and heel Authority running Smackdown, which of course would mean different dynamics possible for faces and heels without the need to turn anyone.

As I say, it's probably terrible, but it would at least be a nominally different palette for creative to dick around with.

Saw a rumor hinting at this...but as matching the reason JBL was world champion for like a year...Hunter don't work Tuesdays.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:35 pm 

I hate to say this, but I agree with chas on his Sting idea.

I just hope however this plays out that Shane is around for awhile and that this is not a one shot deal. The company needs him going forward.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Speaking of terrible posts, I was just now wondering if they'd go back to the well of Raw vs Smackdown, but instead of separate rosters, you'd have face Shane (or his designee) running Raw and heel Authority running Smackdown, which of course would mean different dynamics possible for faces and heels without the need to turn anyone.

As I say, it's probably terrible, but it would at least be a nominally different palette for creative to dick around with.

Saw a rumor hinting at this...but as matching the reason JBL was world champion for like a year...Hunter don't work Tuesdays.

Well there's a thread over on reddit that is based on the idea that they may go back to a full brand split (Shane vs Steph) which I never did like and don't really want to dick around with again - UNLESS they turn Smackdown into an NXT-like show wherein it runs like NXT and they will give the lesser names a chance to perform the way they feel like rather than being so staid and whatnot (e.g., the office really giving HHH Smackdown, not just kayfabe) as a way to test the waters to get a feel how more than the network-subscribed people feel about that type of product.

THEN I'm okay with it because at least they'd be trying something new, or new enough, rather than just rehashing brand splits and the invasion angle just to chew up time on the calendar.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
That was how Thunder was when it started. Land of the Luchadors and cruiser-weights.
then the NWO fucked it all up.
RFDC why is so hard to admit I have good idea in this section , here nad Hockey I am usually good. it is when we go to the lower part of the board is when I get in trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
I want the US and IC belts to be used more effectively. I am enjoying g KO and his run, but Kalisto as a singles belt holder is a joke. He would be a perfect cruiserweight champ for all that flippy shit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:04 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
RFDC why is so hard to admit I have good idea in this section , here nad Hockey I am usually good. it is when we go to the lower part of the board is when I get in trouble.

I like to give you a hard time.

And you have irrational hatred for HHH.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:06 pm 

donspiracy wrote:
I want the US and IC belts to be used more effectively. I am enjoying g KO and his run, but Kalisto as a singles belt holder is a joke. He would be a perfect cruiserweight champ for all that flippy shit.

They should unify Intercontinental Title and US Belt, there's no reason for both to exist. All it does is de-value both championships.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:11 pm 

RFDC wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

and yet it keeps getting proved what an arrogant dick he is. Maybe Shane has come home and the Steph and HHH era in the office is over. I wonder if we will see it, can't hurt the stock much. The only
thing it would effect is the locker room. The HHH guys would be on the outs. Be interesting to see how Orton and Shemus would fare.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:14 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
RFDC wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

and yet it keeps getting proved what an arrogant dick he is. Maybe Shane has come home and the Steph and HHH era in the office is over. I wonder if we will see it, can't hurt the stock much. The only
thing it would effect is the locker room. The HHH guys would be on the outs. Be interesting to see how Orton and Shemus would fare.

Yet you continue to overlook all the good things he has done and impacted in his time. The guy is not perfect at all, but has done a lot of good things.

Show me a guy that has made it big in the business that is not an arrogant dick at times?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:21 pm 

True but how many people have basically killed so many promising runs just because he could?
They say he loves and respects the buisness but if you look at a lot of what he has done he put himself over more than even dusty did when he was booking and in a more blatant fashion, that entire King of Kings thing is just mind blowing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:22 pm 

I don't know that I would use 'irrational' in regards to chas' hatred ... I would go with 'increasingly unfounded' given what HHH purportedly is doing/would like to do. That said I don't really like the idea of putting faith in a carny of any stripe.

Douchebag wrote:
donspiracy wrote:

They should unify Intercontinental Title and US Belt, there's no reason for both to exist. All it does is de-value both championships.

I wonder now if you have the temerity to dare denigrate the historical importance of the Western States Heritage Championship.

What are your thoughts about the Western States Heritage Championship?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:23 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
I don't know that I would use 'irrational' in regards to chas' hatred ... I would go with 'increasingly unfounded' given what HHH purportedly is doing/would like to do. That said I don't really like the idea of putting faith in a carny of any stripe.

Douchebag wrote:
donspiracy wrote:

I wonder now if you have the temerity to dare denigrate the historical importance of the Western States Heritage Championship.

What are your thoughts about the Western States Heritage Championship?

There was 2 divas matchup on the Fast Lane card, and the US Title matchup was relegated to the "pre-show". I think it's been devalued enough. Put it down, and raise the IC title back to its former glory.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:24 pm 

The entire diva part of the roster should be axed immediately. Completely irrelevant.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:32 pm 

RFDC wrote:
The entire diva part of the roster should be axed immediately. Completely irrelevant.

HHH said he was going to revitalize the tag team division about 4 years ago. Where is that? Instead we get more T and A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
RFDC wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:31 pm 

John Cena won the US Title at Mania last year and made that title seem almost as important as the main title. Shit they built a program around it with Cena and Rollins.

The same most likely would've happened if Bryan didn't get hurt after winning the IC title last year too.

The titles have to be treated as important for fans to give a shit about them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:35 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:49 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

This.

Their booking style makes this next to impossible for anything but the Heavyweight belt.

Lest you disagree with me, let me know how you liked the IC Champ Kevin Owens segment on Monday.
hint: there wasn't one

I hope they rise up and make the next six weeks some compelling viewing, but if not, the consolation prize will be the s'mark crowds just destroying most of the shows.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:55 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

This.

Their booking style makes this next to impossible for anything but the Heavyweight belt.

Yeah. It is also why they haven't created a legit new star in 15 years.

It's the over-exposure that comes from having to produce 5 hours of TV per week plus a Network Special every month. There are no fresh matchups that people can get behind.

To your Owens point, he could make that a marquee title if left to his own devices. But he's treated as fodder. Like everyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:08 pm 

I have no idea why they ever went 3 hours for Raw. Did they not learn from all the mistakes that WCW made?

Raw should be 2 hours
Smackdown could probably be 1 hour

Superstars is your weekly recap show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:17 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
I have no idea why they ever went 3 hours for Raw. Did they not learn from all the mistakes that WCW made?

Raw should be 2 hours
Smackdown could probably be 1 hour

Superstars is your weekly recap show.

As I understand it, USA wants Raw to be 3 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I can tolerate 3 hours of Raw...sometimes.

Those 3 hours mean you get time to send Ziggler out to throw himself all over the ring. At least one built in piss break every hour. Some entertaining promos.

I don't think the Cena US Open Challenge happens without it being 3 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:28 pm 

Ziggler as a smart-ass tweener would be just fine. However, they de-nutted him by turning him face to be Cena-lite for the belt. But he got that concussion and now they consider him "injury prone" so he's basically stuck as glorified enhancement talent with some name recognition.

Scripts are necessary given their business model, but scripts also hurt some guys (just as no scripts would probably hurt other guys).

It is what it is, which is pablum.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 pm 

From Meltzer's WON 10/26/2009 - Shane McMahon Leaves The WWE

In news that shocked everyone, and which at this point nobody seems to be able to explain, Shane McMahon announced his resignation from his family’s company effective at the end of this year.

McMahon, 39, the Executive Vice President of Global Media, wrote on the company’s web site on 10/16:

“It is with great sadness that I announce my resignation from WWE, effective January 1, 2010.

I have never even considered a future outside the walls of WWE. However, sometimes life takes an unexpected turn and while it is the most difficult decision I have ever made, it is time for me to move on.

First and foremost, I would like to thank my father for the incredible education working with him has provided and for giving me the opportunity to play a role in building WWE into the global phenomenon that it is today. I am extremely proud to have been the 4th generation in the business, and I am grateful for every day I was able to work along side not only my own, but the entire WWE family.

Thank you to all of the WWE superstars both past and present for your passion, pride and dedication. You are truly the engine of the organization and it has been a pleasure to work with, learn from and get to know all of you. Thank you for the privilege of sharing the stage with you and for allowing me to become but a momentary member of your elite brotherhood. I have so much appreciation for the many sacrifices you endure, both physically and personally, to make this business the success it is. The respect I have for each of you is immeasurable.

Finally, there are no words to express my gratitude to WWE fans the world over for supporting this company through good times and bad and for your unbridled passion that fuels the Superstars’ performances. I am profoundly grateful to have been able to entertain you both in front of the camera and from behind the camera. You are the greatest fans in the world.

I will always love this business and will remain a fan forever.”

Vince’s only public reaction, on the corporate web site, was saying, “Even though I am personally saddened by Shane’s decision to leave the company, I am proud of the enormous contributions he has made. He will unquestionably bring passion, commitment and extensive business experience to any endeavor he pursues.”

So the speculation begins as to what it means, what caused it, and what is his next move. Nobody was aware this was coming. And people who are friends and have spoken with Shane McMahon since the announcement haven’t gotten an inkling of what his next move will be.

In the company on Friday, after the news was released, the feeling was described as being like a bomb had hit. It was described as similar to the last massive layoff where everyone left was depressed. Even though the actual WWE business is strong, there is a feeling that the popularity of pro wrestling is not growing and some saw this as shocking because it’s not a corporate executive from the outside, but a member of the McMahon family, jumping off and whether that means he has lost confidence in it as a long-term business and is going elsewhere. The MMA speculation went wild.

“The external reasons are far bigger than the interior ones,” noted a former top level employee. “I’m sure they can find someone who will run the department he’s leaving as adequately as Shane has done. Depending on the reason he left, it might show a weakening of the base of the company. Here is the guy who should take control of the company, leaving to do `anything’ else. The lack of momentum in the company in years shows that even a McMahon doesn’t see it as a place to make his mark. If Shane is going into MMA, how does WWE spin it?”

One person who still does business with company higher-ups noted that Shane isn’t talking, that Vince is pissed off but isn’t talking, and that Donna Goldsmith (who has taken over Linda’s duties while she runs for office and is also expected to oversee Shane’s department until a replacement is chosen) professes to know nothing. Those who work closely with Shane or for Shane were said to be in a state of shock. There was also concern by the few wrestlers who were close to him and partied heavily with him about their own positions. From all accounts, there were no wrestlers who saw it coming, and the crew on the road this weekend was largely in a state of shock, asking questions, but with no answers.

One has to realize that from at least the point he was a teenager, that Shane McMahon figured that at some point, he would follow in the footsteps of his father and grandfather, and run the company. It had become clear for years that it was never going to happen, and that Stephanie McMahon was going to be the one actually running the company when Vince steps down or passes away, and Shane would likely be a public face of the company, but not the key decision maker.

Shane is 39, the same age Vince was when WrestleMania I took place. Who knows how being about to turn 40 has affected him. Over the past decade, he’s pushed to run things and make a name for himself as a promoter on his own as opposed to being Vince McMahon’s son who is an executive based on being son of the owner as opposed to having his own business accomplishments.

Over the years, he had pushed for WWF to buy ECW in the summer of 2000 when WWF was in strong negotiations to close the deal with TNN (now Spike) that would result in ECW being kicked off the station. The idea was that WWF would buy ECW and Shane would keep it alive as a separate business, but Vince chose instead to let ECW die. On more than one occasion he had pushed to buy UFC when the price was something WWF could afford, but in the end, the decision was turned down, and he saw UFC explode to something that is considered more valuable than WWE. He was supposed to head the WCW division, although that role was going to be more a public face because WCW was going to be run by Vince, but Vince changed his mind. In 2006, when ECW was resurrected, Shane had pushed for it to be done as a separate company (think WEC and UFC) with him in charge, doing the old ECW style as being the young McMahon with the edgy product designed as a web-only broadcast, but three weeks before the launch, Vince had a meeting, cut him out of it and said it would be a third brand within WWE, be on Sci-Fi, and conform to WWE standards. It was noted at the time that Shane felt embarrassed over the decision and how it was handled, and there was a blowout at the time over it. Shane was also the one who wanted to acquire Pride in 2006 when it was for sale, again figuring it would be a company he would run. The rest of the family chose to pass on the deal without even serious discussion, and one person close to the situation said both the ECW situation and WWE passing on Pride, were huge letdowns to him personally.

Several years back, Shane McMahon got significant cash of his own from stock in the company. It’s not enough to buy a sports franchise, certainly not enough to compete in pro wrestling (or MMA for that matter), but it is enough to be a player and part of a conglomerate. It could be sports, or it could be an unrelated business. Some of his experience probably could be transferred to a degree over to other businesses, but having said that, when it comes to the McMahon family doing anything but wrestling, the track record has been pretty dismal. As far as what he does, the only businesses similar in scope would be a wrestling or MMA company, and in both cases, you’d have to compete against huge companies that are the brand names in each business. The odds are great of massive losses and eventual failure.

Buying a sports franchise in an existing successful league would have a far better chance of success, but the ante is way out of his league unless he goes in with numerous richer partners. He could afford to buy Strikeforce, which has the television deals in place to at least have some stability. But if Strikeforce were to compete with UFC and try to be No. 1, it would open itself up to short-term huge money losses with no guarantee of success. That’s why the current ownership seems happy to position itself as a No. 2 brand, hoping enough fans of the sport will be made that will support a second company. But if he is looking to make his name in business, one would think his goal wouldn’t be to be the Dixie Carter to Dana White. And at this point, in the MMA world where secrets are rarely kept, Shane McMahon leaving WWE is a non-story.

With Linda campaigning for Senator, and Stephanie only going to TVs on PPV weekends, there is some fear of how Vince will react to all this, particularly since he’s become more difficult to work for.

The way the resignation was handled and positioned makes the idea he’s leaving to help his mother’s campaign unlikely. If that was the case, he’d ask for a leave of absence and it would be explained. There would be no panic within the company. It always could be a work to set up a big picture angle to create the idea of real competition, exactly what the original plans were for the “Shane McMahon’s WCW” angle in 2001. It’s highly unlikely, because it would be a deception to stockholders, to the point I’d say it’s impossible it’s an angle–except–Shane McMahon, a corporate officer, told the press that Floyd Mayweather was going to get $20 million for WrestleMania, a complete lie, and because it’s wrestling, it ended up not being any kind of a corporate issue. Clearly to Wall Street, this was not any kind of a significant issue, as the stock price has risen even with the person who was the public heir to the throne leaving theoretically being a bad sign. WWE stock usually goes up and down dependent upon the market as opposed to the ups-and-downs or changes in its own business.

“He brings a certain level of cachet with the McMahon name to meetings that others simply don’t have regardless of their resume and track record” said another former employee who is still connected somewhat with him. “He’s a fantastic schmoozer and is business enough that he gets results, but does so in a way where he can get a rather favorable if not outright one-sided deal out of a potential business partner while making them feel like a buddy–a trait his father does not have at all. He’s also the most technologically savvy within the inner circle. He is in the know on all wireless and digital endeavors that are pegged as the next big things in entertainment. He also is hands down, the best boss of the four McMahons. He constantly gets praise for being a cool boss who kept the environment loose and casual. People are really heartbroken who work for him. No one in any other department or division under another McMahon or Kevin Dunn will ever come close to the loyalty, genuine respect and bond Shane has fostered with his staff.”

Still, while others praise his work in Global Media, when it comes to media relations, his department, within the media itself, WWE has always been considered a paranoid joke. With the exception of reporters who are huge fans, the attitude of most reporters is bemusement that such a minor company in the big picture thinks they are so important and are so difficult to deal with. Also the general view of him on the creative end is that he’s not very good. While people have sympathy for him because of how Vince shoots his ideas down in such an unpleasant manner, one noted the ideas he came up with were rarely very good.

“In my 30 years of living in and around corporate America, I’ve seen similar circumstances play out on numerous occasions,” noted Jeff Siegel, who has interacted with many major corporations. “It goes something like this: Offspring of Founder or CEO lives in the shadow of his or her father for years and years. Then, offspring decides to strike out on his own or her own to show that they can stand on their own two feet and `make a name for themselves.’ It’s usually driven by a strong psychological need to establish one’s own business identity.”

Siegel also noted that in the majority of cases, the son returns to the business.

“Perhaps he’ll strike out on his own and be successful,” he noted. “If that’s the case, he’ll have proven that he can succeed outside of Dad’s empire, and can hold his head high when he returns to take his rightful spot as the co-heir apparent. If he fails, well, that speaks for itself.”

“People actually like working for him,” noted another former employee. “He inspires most to do their job and go above and beyond. A trait that’s key and something Vince can still do on a good day, but those days are getting fewer and further in-between the bad ones. Stephanie simply doesn’t get this aspect of the job. Shane is superb at keeping morale high within his department (s) and always seems interested in what’s up with a lot of his staff.

As far as the move being made, one person who held a high position in the company for several years, noted, “He was pushed out of creative a long time ago. Is it the “his dad doesn’t listen,” angle? That’s been going on as long as he’s been out of creative. He’s got a beautiful family, a very successful wife (who is running a small film company in New York called Kamala Films) and had a far different view on the business.”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:

Remember that three-hour Nitro where like the entire first hour was just Torrie Wilson and David Flair hanging out in a green room or something?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:04 pm 

one thing that they tried to keep hidden when Shane left WWE was that if anything ever happened to Vince his shares would go to Shane.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 am 

For whomever it might interest to know, it was confirmed earlier today that Shane will be live and in person for the Raw @ the Allstate Arena.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:16 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
For whomever it might interest to know, it was confirmed earlier today that Shane will be live and in person for the Raw @ the Allstate Arena.

So will Douchebag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:19 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

So will Douchebag

DOUCHEBAG IS SHANE MCMAHON!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:22 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

So will Douchebag

DOUCHEBAG IS SHANE MCMAHON!