It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Went to one preseason game, Broncos at Detroit. Used to think we should maybe go for a Thanksgiving game some year, just for something different. Not a BIG FAN of crowds, either, any more.

I have long thought that the NFL should spread out to a 25-30 week regular season, games six nights a week. Teams would play every other week or so, better prepared, better healed. Still would dominate the ratings every night of the week. Every player would be better seen by the country. No doubt actual attendance would suffer, but then maybe the trend would be toward 25-40K seat stadiums the owners could afford themselves rather than $1B 80K palaces with video boards the size of houses paid for by taxpayers...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Wanted bears season tickets my whole childhood. Signed up for 2 tickets on waiting list out college. Now have 2 season tickets, when need 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yes

Bucs @ Bears 2001 (last season of old Soldiers Field)
Lions @ Bears 2002 (Champaign IL, Morninwheg kickoff in OT)
Packers @ Bears 2003 (First game at "new" Soldier and the Bears got their asses kicked)

I have not been to one since and I do not think I would go to one unless I was handed free/dirt cheap tickets.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:08 am 

Tickets arrived today!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Yes

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I've been to 8. 7 at Soldier Field(s) and one at Sun Life Stadium in Miami.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:27 pm 

I actually have been to like 4. 3 of which were in Champaign which really doesn't count.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:41 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
That season in Champaign was so stupid. They should have split it between Evanston and Wrigley Field.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:49 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
That season in Champaign was so stupid. They should have split it between Evanston and Wrigley Field.

Well Wrigley field you can only play the game going one way now as was demonstrated a few years ago.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:58 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Well Wrigley field you can only play the game going one way now as was demonstrated a few years ago.

I don't think the renovations that caused that were present in 2002, were they? Still, I think you could play both ways today, it would just be a little snug, right?

The Bears used to run the field along the third-base line (and put temporary seating in the outfield), Northwestern ran it along the first-base line (and didn't).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:03 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I don't think the renovations that caused that were present in 2002, were they? Still, I think you could play both ways today, it would just be a little snug, right?

The Bears used to run the field along the third-base line (and put temporary seating in the outfield), Northwestern ran it along the first-base line (and didn't).

Two corners of the field were right up against the wall. I can't remember how much NFL cared about field safety 15 years ago but no way that would be deemed playable now.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
They used to play in Chicago Stadium, believe it or not....

http://www.profootballhof.com/football- ... yoff-game/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:40 am 

"Used to" implies habitual action, they played at the Stadium once for extenuating circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I actually have been to like 4. 3 of which were in Champaign which really doesn't count.

Went with my brother and dad for what I think was the last home game of the Champaign season. The 16-0 loss to eventual sb champs Tampa bay. Surprisingly the Henry buris led bears offense couldn't muster anything. I also think it was the first time Tampa won a below freezing level game

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I went to 2 Bears preseason games in Chicago and 2 Bears regular season games in Minnesota. The problem with the NFL is that ever since HDTVs came out you completely see a better game on TV. It is exciting to see a game in person, but when you factor in parking, dealing with the fans and any food purchases it's much cheaper and more fun to watch the game at home. Of the four major sports football is the one where you sit further from the players than any of the other sports. Basketball you can sit on the floor, hockey you can sit behind the glass and baseball you can sit behind the dugout. But football even the first row is a significant distance from the field and depending on where you're sitting at any time the action on the field can be almost completely out of your line of sight. You almost always need to have binoculars to see the action up close at a football game.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I have been to 5 or 6 regular season games and 4 pre-season games, regular season was all in Indy, then pre-season 2 in Indy and went to the Broncos-Bears games in Champaign, both of them.

Hoping to go to the Broncos-Bears 1st preaseaon game, then if it works out, hit Vikings-Bengals next night, and hopefully a pre-season game in Indy.

I just would rather go to preseason, I like watching all the games during the regular season at home.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:33 pm 

If I can add, never been to Soldier Field, is there a bad seat, looking at Stub Hub for tickets to the aforementioned Broncos Bears game.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:34 pm 

Several Bears games. Much more enjoyable on TV.

Hockey and baseball are better live. Football and hoops are better on TV.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Going to Broncos-Bears preseason on August 11.

Have not been to Soldier Field in decades. My grandfather worked for the Chicago Park District and his office was inside of the Stadium. I was very young and remember little.

Looking forward to my first NFL game ever - even if it is preseason.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
How early can you get in Soldier Field before a preseason game?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
No.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 pm 

Godfella wrote:
How early can you get in Soldier Field before a preseason game?

Congrats on getting to go to the game, I hope to be there too.

I just don't know if the rules are the same as regular season, usually regular season, you can go real early because of tailgating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:54 am 

IMU wrote:
No.

:( Let's go together...but you have to take the kids to the bathroom when nature calls in the middle of a third quarter drive

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Godfella wrote:
My grandfather worked for the Chicago Park District and his office was inside of the Stadium.

That's pretty cool -- would be fun to run into Dick Butkus or Burritole Sayers on your walk in from the parking lot.