It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Week 17
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
All the people shouting at us about how this is about Damar Hamlin and even daring to wonder how the schedule will be handled means you are a horrible thoughtless person are the same people firing up the rage machine about how sure, they postponed the game but they didn't postpone it QUICK ENOUGH. People can't even acknowledge and agree what happened last night was bad and not playing was the right thing to do without turning it into some kind of polarizing event. ESPN was stirring all kinds of shit up after the game last night while at the same time telling everyone we are worse then they are for daring to wonder how they are going to work around the schedule. Suzy Kolber looked like she was ready for the sanitarium and SVP was frothing all over himself about how inhumane the savages in charge of the NFL are and that they are horrible people. Believe it or not, you can worry about the health of the player AND be curious about how the situation will be settled, even last night after it happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
make it up after the season is over instead of the Pro Bowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
veganfan21 wrote:
The longer it takes to hear things are getting better the more I assume they're not. I hope I'm wrong.

I heard some doctor earlier suggest sedation is typically around 24hrs. So hopefully it’s just too early to have actual news.

What’s terrifying is that he had medical care within 30 seconds and it’s still this critical. I don’t know how anybody survives this type of thing in the real world.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:47 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
I'm not a Skip Bayless fan by any means, but the overreaction to his tweet is hilarious, yeah it wasn't worded the best, but people want him fired over it.

It wasn’t even a hot take. I guess he could have led with the part where he called the actual game irrelevant in the context of the injury. Granted he probably assumed that was clear as he had two tweets immediately before that focused on Hamlin and the players.

People just want to be mad about things. It’s a legitimate comment from a guy paid to talk about sports to wonder how the sport is going to handle an unprecedented situation.

No with Skip it’s been brewing for years. He loves being the holier than thou hot take guy in every way possible. And him whining about it is laughable. Just a week or two ago he angrily & arrogantly told Shannon Sharpe that he effectively wasn’t qualified to critique Tom Brady.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Caller Bob wrote:
I'm not a Skip Bayless fan by any means, but the overreaction to his tweet is hilarious, yeah it wasn't worded the best, but people want him fired over it.

It wasn’t even a hot take. I guess he could have led with the part where he called the actual game irrelevant in the context of the injury. Granted he probably assumed that was clear as he had two tweets immediately before that focused on Hamlin and the players.

People just want to be mad about things. It’s a legitimate comment from a guy paid to talk about sports to wonder how the sport is going to handle an unprecedented situation.

I understand the players being pissed at him (like in the Tweets I posted). He makes his money off their backs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I don’t have a huge problem with his tweet, but the only person who has no choice but to tweet about things is July. Read the room and don’t post anything unless you want to get the same criticism July rightfully gets, it’s not about you Skip. “But it’s his job!” It’s plenty of people’s jobs and they were still able to not tweet about it. Again, shouldn’t be fired, shouldn’t be suspended, shouldn’t be punished, he just didn’t need to say anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:54 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

No with Skip it’s been brewing for years. He loves being the holier than thou hot take guy in every way possible. And him whining about it is laughable. Just a week or two ago he angrily & arrogantly told Shannon Sharpe that he effectively wasn’t qualified to critique Tom Brady.

I hate the guy but is he whining? All I saw was some statement where he told people he’s sorry they read the tweet wrong.

His bit with Shannon Sharpe is an act. A very annoying act, but it’s like getting mad at a wrestling heel and/or Terry Boers.

Edit: I don’t know that I hate him. I haven’t really watched him since he was paired with Screamin’ A. But I’m assuming he’s still an objectively annoying troll, like a refined Mariotti.

Last edited by This Ends in Antioch on Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 pm 

I’m going to lean into the Bayless defender thing…

Guy gets paid $8m a year to be the face of a sports network. This isn’t July Wrote a Book.

After some perfunctory thoughts & prayers comments, he - a guy who is paid a large sum of money to talk about sports - wondered aloud what the most popular league in the country is going to do about its future given the teams involved in the cancelled game. He even called that future irrelevant to re-focus on the severity of Hamlin’s situation.

He’s a noted douche so people were eager to jump on him for a lack of sensitivity, but that assumes a person can’t hold two thoughts in his head at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:10 pm 

What’s terrifying is that he had medical care within 30 seconds and it’s still this critical. I don’t know how anybody survives this type of thing in the real world.

If it was commotio cordis, like may have speculated, most people won't survive it. I read that if treated within 3 minutes, it's 25% survival. If after 3 minutes, it's only 3%...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
veganfan21 wrote:
The longer it takes to hear things are getting better the more I assume they're not. I hope I'm wrong.

I heard some doctor earlier suggest sedation is typically around 24hrs. So hopefully it’s just too early to have actual news.

I agree, terrifying.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:20 pm 

Guy gets paid $8m a year to be the face of a sports network. This isn’t July Wrote a Book.

After some perfunctory thoughts & prayers comments, he - a guy who is paid a large sum of money to talk about sports - wondered aloud what the most popular league in the country is going to do about its future given the teams involved in the cancelled game. He even called that future irrelevant to re-focus on the severity of Hamlin’s situation.

He’s a noted douche so people were eager to jump on him for a lack of sensitivity, but that assumes a person can’t hold two thoughts in his head at the same time.

Dunno, he’s a guy who screams at every misspoken word of those he covers. He came across this morning as incredibly insincere. Almost as if he was the victim while talking about how his boss called him after the twitter backlash. Everything he does seems to be for self aggrandizement. Mariotti like if you will.

At this point I’m just glad my youngest son quit playing football last season. He threw up on the field once and immediately I was petrified that he’d had a concussion. And honestly as a parent I wouldn’t want to hear from anyone in that fashion as I was fearful for my son. I’m sure that you’d be in the same petrified state as I was.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:41 pm 

Good article
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dama ... hats-next/

Quote:
: It would be irresponsible to attach any kind of diagnosis until we're sure. The majority of cardiac arrests that occur in young athletes occur because of some genetic heart condition. That is independent of getting a blow to the chest. This is why, to come up with a short list is really not possible

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:06 pm 

I hate the guy but is he whining? All I saw was some statement where he told people he’s sorry they read the tweet wrong.

Again, the original tweet is whatever, but that’s your basic I’m sorry you were offended by what I said non-apology. It’s the same weasel language as ending the tweet with “…suddenly seems so irrelevant.” He admits it’s irrelevant (not that I think he believes it, I mean even I don’t) so don’t hit send. Might as well say some racist things but end with I have black friends. He’s a smart guy, if he thinks the any bad publicity axiom is worth it for him, great, it might, be but the criticism is reasonable. He lives to be hated though, he’ll be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:18 pm 

Culture has been cultivated to pick sides even to the most dull or abhorrent jagbags simply because there’s someone to attack and defend. Skip should’ve been irrelevant as far back as 2004 or whenever he picked Pittsburgh to win March Madness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:20 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

Again, the original tweet is whatever, but that’s your basic I’m sorry you were offended by what I said non-apology.

Right. I just didn’t perceive it as whining. It’s a ‘sorry you can’t read’ tweet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The criticism is reasonable for wondering if they’re going to continue to play a game when they continue to play the game after guys are routinely carted off on stretchers , bones literally broken all the time ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
badrogue17 wrote:
The criticism is reasonable for wondering if they’re going to continue to play a game when they continue to play the game after guys are routinely carted off on stretchers , bones literally broken all the time ?

I think a guy collapsing and requiring CPR is more traumatic than a broken bone or even a possible spinal injury.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
FrankDrebin wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I think a guy collapsing and requiring CPR is more traumatic than a broken bone or even a possible spinal injury.

I think that on the occasions when players have said they have heard the bones snap or the knee ligaments pop after the knees twisted 180° and the screams agony and pain from the player that it happened to writhing around on the ground for five or 10 minutes before he’s carted off is pretty traumatic versus a guy collapsing unconscious yet it’s play ball after one incident but youre the spawn of Satan in the other one for wondering if theyre going to continue playing. I don’t get it.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Uche Nwaneri died last week of a probable heart attack. He was OL for Purdue and Jaguars.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:17 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I think that on the occasions when players have said they have heard the bones snap or the knee ligaments pop after the knees twisted 180° and the screams agony and pain from the player that it happened to writhing around on the ground for five or 10 minutes before he’s carted off is pretty traumatic versus a guy collapsing unconscious yet it’s play ball after one incident but youre the spawn of Satan in the other one for wondering if theyre going to continue playing. I don’t get it.

Looking at the reactions of players yesterday it was clearly different.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Yeah, I think players are used to guys getting carted off or breaking stuff. Not breathing and needing CPR is a game changer.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Nas wrote:
Yeah, I think players are used to guys getting carted off or breaking stuff. Not breathing and needing CPR is a game changer.

Exactly. His heart stopped beating. That's completely different. The players knew right away that this was different.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

He's making progress.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports-br ... 31096.html

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Real simple.

Broken bones and gruesome injuries are a part of the game.

CPR is not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
KDdidit wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Looking at the reactions of players yesterday it was clearly different.

The players definitely reacted differently last night than they do when there are other serious injuries, but maybe they shouldn't. A guy being paralyzed for life is not quite as serious as a guy having his heart stop, but it's serious enough. I wonder if this game will establish a precedent for games that have serious but non-life threatening injuries going forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:15 pm 

I think it's pretty clear:

Guy gets injured but is still breathing/not permanently paralyzed = play ball

Guy's heart stops= holy shit, call the game off.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:14 am 

Hamlin's uncle says Hamlin's heart stopped twice: once on the field and once at the hospital. Resuscitated twice.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:

Dunno, he’s a guy who screams at every misspoken word of those he covers. He came across this morning as incredibly insincere. Almost as if he was the victim while talking about how his boss called him after the twitter backlash. Everything he does seems to be for self aggrandizement. Mariotti like if you will.

At this point I’m just glad my youngest son quit playing football last season. He threw up on the field once and immediately I was petrified that he’d had a concussion. And honestly as a parent I wouldn’t want to hear from anyone in that fashion as I was fearful for my son. I’m sure that you’d be in the same petrified state as I was.

Most of us here are old enough and been around long enough to know that Skip Bayless has had the same douche-stickery for decades. I don't care how much many he's paid to be a talking head, he's an in-genuine shit-starting ass and always has been.
I honestly have zero thoughts on what he said or tweeted in this situation, I just know I expect nothing but garbage out of his mouth.

The only "journalist" that was / is worse is maybe Jay Mariotti.

Fuck Skip Bayless. I hope they fire his ass and develops a compulsive gambling addiction to where he loses every penny he's stolen over the years.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:17 am 
100000 CLUB

Mariotti was young Nas's favorite sports writer. I would steal the Sun-Times instead of the Tribune because I preferred him over Telander. Too bad he beat his wife/girlfriend.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
some guy called into Mully & Haugh this morning and was saying the NFL screwed up by not playing the game today and got roasted for it. But it was Mully & Haugh, so it was a pretty annoying roast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next