It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 NFL Draft
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The two draft strategies I think the Bears could pursue with relatively equal impact:

1) Stand-pat and grab two difference makers who fall in the second. It's impossible to name specific names of guys who should be around this far out from the draft, but every year players fall into the second who shouldn't. Think D.K. Metcalf. If Etienne or Dobbins were to fall they'd be obvious picks. They may not fill positions of need but they do provide immediate impact. The Bears have actually been pretty good at doing this in the second with the very notable exception of Shaheen.

2) See who falls after pick 1.12-ish and package both seconds (will probably require a little bit more to) to move up into the first. You only do this for someone who is inexplicably falling like Derrick Brown or AJ Epenesa.

What they should not do is try to fill needs and plug leaks with these draft picks. That wont work, overdrafting a tight end or, worse yet, a quarterback does them no good. They'll have to find other solutions to those issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Antarctica wrote:
The two draft strategies I think the Bears could pursue with relatively equal impact:

1) Stand-pat and grab two difference makers who fall in the second. It's impossible to name specific names of guys who should be around this far out from the draft, but every year players fall into the second who shouldn't. Think D.K. Metcalf. If Etienne or Dobbins were to fall they'd be obvious picks. They may not fill positions of need but they do provide immediate impact. The Bears have actually been pretty good at doing this in the second with the very notable exception of Shaheen.

2) See who falls after pick 1.12-ish and package both seconds (will probably require a little bit more to) to move up into the first. You only do this for someone who is inexplicably falling like Derrick Brown or AJ Epenesa.

What they should not do is try to fill needs and plug leaks with these draft picks. That wont work, overdrafting a tight end or, worse yet, a quarterback does them no good. They'll have to find other solutions to those issues.

No more trading up, that's why we're fucked. Use both seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
312player wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

No more trading up, that's why we're fucked. Use both seconds.

I'm fine with trading a 2nd to get a late 2nd and 3rd or something like that. I don't want to trade up.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:44 pm 

Ed Oliver, Devin Bush, Dexter Lawrence, Jeffery Simmons and Noah Fant all fell way further than they should have. It would cost a lot more than two seconds to get where Oliver and Bush were taken, but by the time the late teens roll around the price becomes more reasonable. The Bears should at least be on the horn come the mid-teens just to inquire. Someone always falls.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 pm 

I'm on board with trading down, no more trading up under Pace. There is plenty of talent in the 2nd, find it..you've got two darts for that dart board.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 pm 

312player wrote:
I'm on board with trading down, no more trading up under Pace. There is plenty of talent in the 2nd, find it..you've got two darts for that dart board.

I dont know what you intend to accomplish by trading down unless you're getting better picks in 2021. The odds of finding a good offensive tackle, tight end or rusher where they sit in the second is low. I dont mind grabbing a guy like Dobbins or Etienne plus a defensive back or 5T in that range, but I certainly dont want to trade quality for quantity when I look out at the Bears roster. They need guys who can step in and play at a high level, and outside of the top fifty your odds of finding those guys starts to go down drastically.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
312player wrote:

I dont know what you intend to accomplish by trading down unless you're getting better picks in 2021. The odds of finding a good offensive tackle, tight end or rusher where they sit in the second is low. I dont mind grabbing a guy like Dobbins or Etienne plus a defensive back or 5T in that range, but I certainly dont want to trade quality for quantity when I look out at the Bears roster. They need guys who can step in and play at a high level, and outside of the top fifty your odds of finding those guys starts to go down drastically.

I want Pace to stay put, no more swapping picks.. he's getting butt fucked in every trade. Our best lineman Whitehair was bottom of second round.. the best Center in the NFL was a 5th rounder( Kelce) .. Andrew Whitworth , maybe the best tackle in the league was 55th overall.

David Bakhtiari was like 120th overall. Mitch Schwartz was a mid second rounder.

Terron Armstrad, 75th overall. Probably the best tackle in the league.

As far as tight ends go, the three best in the league.

Kelce-3rd round
Kittle-5th
Ertz- 2nd

I'm tired of this lazy shit posting about being fucked if you don't have a top 10 pick. There's super stars every year from the 2nd to the 5th..find em

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
If that 2nd round pick were really more like a 1st, there would be a better chance of landing an OL.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm 

312player wrote:
Antarctica wrote:
312player wrote:

I want Pace to stay put, no more swapping picks.. he's getting butt fucked in every trade. Our best lineman Whitehair was bottom of second round.. the best Center in the NFL was a 5th rounder( Kelce) .. Andrew Whitworth , maybe the best tackle in the league was 55th overall.

David Bakhtiari was like 120th overall. Mitch Schwartz was a mid second rounder.

Terron Armstrad, 75th overall. Probably the best tackle in the league.

As far as tight ends go, the three best in the league.

Kelce-3rd round
Kittle-5th
Ertz- 2nd

I'm tired of this lazy shit posting about being fucked if you don't have a top 10 pick. There's super stars every year from the 2nd to the 5th..find em

So there have been two thousand players drafted since David Bakhtiari's draft and you have listed a relative handful that have ascended from outside the top fifty to be elite players at premium positions. It is far more likely that a player drafted higher is a standout performer than one drafted later, and that difference becomes more pronounced with the premium positions (oddly enough quarterback seems to be something of an exception to this rule, but there is almost no rhyme or reason to the quarterback position in the draft in general).

The Bears three biggest needs are three premium positions. Offensive tackle, tight end and edge rusher (and you never have enough edge rushers, even the 49ers have a need at edge rusher for next season). They are not filling all three of those needs with two second round picks and marginal cap space. Not with elite players.

So what they can do is stand pat and grab non-premium position players who fall to them in the second and hope their contributions make-up for the fact that middling-at-best solutions are found at other spots. That's a viable strategy. Or they can move up, get a crack at one of the top talents at offensive tackle or edge rusher, and hopefully pair that with a trade or free agent to fill two-thirds of their needs.

The path to utter ruin is hoping against hope that they will hit on a literal 100:1 shot lottery ticket. That's how you wind up with the likes of Adam Shaheen, by the way. Trying to snag a premium position player in the second.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:07 am 

No drafting specifically for need.

No trading up.

Those are the two rules of this draft for the Bears.

Take the best of what is there at your draft spot.

Don't expect to improve much at OT through the draft. You can definitely get better at OG and they have a spot that is currently vacant. I'd even be open to C if someone great is there and let Daniels fuck off with trying to learn the position for which he was drafted in year 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:17 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

No trading up.

Don't expect to improve much at OT through the draft. You can definitely get better at OG and they have a spot that is currently vacant. I'd even be open to C if someone great is there and let Daniels fuck off with trying to learn the position for which he was drafted in year 3.

They literally can't address the tackle position this year because it would cost them about $20M to cut both tackles. You're going to get another guard and a prayer that Massie and Leno don't suck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
RAIDERS: LB, WR (2), CB, DL with their picks in rounds 1-3 would be fine by me.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No trading up.

They literally can't address the tackle position this year because it would cost them about $20M to cut both tackles. You're going to get another guard and a prayer that Massie and Leno don't suck.

I acknowledged that a page or two ago, which is also why I said the best blocking TE in free agency should be a priority

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No trading up.

I acknowledged that a page or two ago, which is also why I said the best blocking TE in free agency should be a priority

This may very well be the situation. a TE would be good, but if this team can't upgrade at Tackle....2020 is going to be more of the same.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No trading up.

This means that your issues on offense aren't going to change. Especially with the running game

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
good dolphin wrote:
[

Brandon Manumaleuna is a FA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am 

BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No trading up.

This may very well be the situation. a TE would be good, but if this team can't upgrade at Tackle....2020 is going to be more of the same.

The tackles were able to be average in 2018 with some help in personnel and scheme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No trading up.

The tackles were able to be average in 2018 with some help in personnel and scheme

A lot changes in 2 years. Leno was AWFUL. He can't realistically be cut for 2 more years. Let that sink in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:37 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No trading up.

A lot changes in 2 years. Leno was AWFUL. He can't realistically be cut for 2 more years. Let that sink in.

He's 28 and he acknowledged he had problems. I think he can return to average. I wouldn't bank on it but I think it can happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:38 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No trading up.

This means that your issues on offense aren't going to change. Especially with the running game

You can, and the Bears have in past, provide a good running game being strong in the interior. That suits Montgomery as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 am 

Montgomery is a nothing. this whole thing is a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Hatchetman wrote:

You watched one bears game this year?

Am I remembering that correctly?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

3. the first and last two. Doesn't take much to see he's got nothing going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:08 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

So you saw there were no holes for him to run through in those 3 games right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:11 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

He's just a guy, OK? Replacement level. Nobody's going to worry about stopping him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:16 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

In the three games you saw him he ran for a 4.48 ypc average.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

yay? the guy averages 11 yards receiving per game. What exactly is the appeal here?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:23 am 
100000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

yay? the guy averages 11 yards receiving per game. What exactly is the appeal here?

He wasn't good but his line absolutely sucked blocking for him and Nagy didn't use him properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:46 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

He's just a guy, OK? Replacement level. Nobody's going to worry about stopping him.

His running style will most likely have his career finished by 30 years old, but he is def more than just a guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Even the best RB have to have space to run. Coaching and O-line were the problem, not Montgomery.

Agreed that Leno isn't going anywhere....doesn't mean you can't / don't upgrade. The Bears HAVE to upgrade Tackle. They just don't have even average on the roster.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next