It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard Knocks - Lions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
Maybe it's just having come of age when you had quieter, more cerebral coaches like Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, Bill Walsh among others who won more than once, screamers always seem to become caricatures of themselves and lose their effectiveness by year 3(or 4 if they're lucky).

Unless they get a much better roster, he'll be gone by January of 2023.

There's a difference between the coaches that scream in front of the media v. those that scream at their players and try to present a different media image.

I don't believe for a second, Belichick or Parcells were calm, cool, and collective coaches with their players. I'm sure they were full of red ass. Then you have Vince Lombardi...he's on the Mount Rushmore of coaches and his tantrums were well documented. I'd also throw Jimmy Johnson as another example.

It also helps to have a good roster to work with. Back to Belichik....his resume pretty much commands respect regardless of his demeanor.

I agree that the demeanor of the coach (Fyre and Pashun) is highly overrated. In our recent memory, I think Lovie Smith is a very good example. Maybe not the best head coach, but he had a very good record with some highly suspect rosters.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:17 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
He's a garden variety meathead who I don't mind because he seems earnest. D. Staley is the guy I can't stand. It seems like he's over the top when he sees the cameras rolling.

yes yes yes! This is what I think as well. I don't mind Campbell as he does seem sincere.

Staley is an actor playing things up.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
The D Staley scene where he lost his voice was hilarious.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Regular Reader wrote:
Maybe it's just having come of age when you had quieter, more cerebral coaches like Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, Bill Walsh among others who won more than once, screamers always seem to become caricatures of themselves and lose their effectiveness by year 3(or 4 if they're lucky).

Were they truly that way, or was that the image given to the public? I would be shocked if they were. Especially considering their players were trying to maim their opponents.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:33 am 

Once Campbell brought in the dirty pants and officially became a prop guy, I put him in the Mike McCarthy category.

Only he’ll be coaching a team with a #1 overall pick at QB instead of Aaron Rodgers so should theoretically win more than one super bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:41 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

There's a difference between the coaches that scream in front of the media v. those that scream at their players and try to present a different media image.

I don't believe for a second, Belichick or Parcells were calm, cool, and collective coaches with their players. I'm sure they were full of red ass. Then you have Vince Lombardi...he's on the Mount Rushmore of coaches and his tantrums were well documented. I'd also throw Jimmy Johnson as another example.

It also helps to have a good roster to work with. Back to Belichik....his resume pretty much commands respect regardless of his demeanor.

I agree that the demeanor of the coach (Fyre and Pashun) is highly overrated. In our recent memory, I think Lovie Smith is a very good example. Maybe not the best head coach, but he had a very good record with some highly suspect rosters.

You kinda have your fingers on it. Coaches screaming to the media seem to more often than not are trying to cover up their own deficiencies. Lombardi and Parcells were clearly hard asses, but extremely consistent and thoroughly respected by most of their players often for major personal things behind the scenes.

While I like Jimmy Johnson, he never won without the benefits of a stupid Minnesota front office. And honestly I think that he doesn't win big without insanely driven guys like Haley, Irvin and Erik Williams. Who were like Jimmy in that regard, and (wisely)given extraordinarily long leeway by him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Joe Gibbs screamed and yelled like a banshee, even when he switched to NASCAR.

Tom Landry once cried to motivate his players, but for the most part considered yelling emotion and expressing emotion = wasted energy.

Bill Walsh reportedly yelled at players, depending on the player's personality, what would motivate that individual. Yell at the men, give the pussies hugs. One time Walsh insta-cut a D-lineman for hitting Joe Montana too enthusiastically during a practice drill. As assistant coaches walked the dejected player off the field, Walsh yelled to 'em, "Don't even let that son of a bitch take a shower!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:48 am 

Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Were they truly that way, or was that the image given to the public? I would be shocked if they were. Especially considering their players were trying to maim their opponents.

Gibbs and Walsh genuinely seemed like that. Landry could be stubborn and strict and many guys bristled while playing for him, but to hear his guys now, he wasn't a screamer, "just" overly dictatorial at times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:51 am 

Dan Campbell makes sense as Sheila Firestone Ford let Chris Spielman pick her new head coach. Lions screwed up getting rid of Jim Caldwell. Caldwell was over .500 3 out of 4 seasons and made the playoffs twice. Since Caldwell Lions have won 6, 3, 5, 3 games and watched their franchise QB go win a Super Bowl with another team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

They also lost Megatron.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:54 am 

Hussra wrote:
Joe Gibbs screamed and yelled like a banshee, even when he switched to NASCAR.

Tom Landry once cried to motivate his players, but for the most part considered yelling emotion and expressing emotion = wasted energy.

Bill Walsh reportedly yelled at players, depending on the player's personality, what would motivate that individual. Yell at the men, give the pussies hugs. One time Walsh insta-cut a D-lineman for hitting Joe Montana too enthusiastically during a practice drill. As assistant coaches walked the dejected player off the field, Walsh yelled to 'em, "Don't even let that son of a bitch take a shower!"

Joe Gibbs won three titles with three different QBs, iirc Wilbur Marshall highlighted major differences in demeanor, professionalism and consistency. And frankly I can't blame him for cutting the guy who mashed Montana in practice. Even Haley wasn't that crazy/stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Every coach yells at least occasionally. Dan Campbell yells constantly.

There's an obvious difference between someone like Walsh or Gibbs and Campbell.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:58 am 

Hussra wrote:
Dan Campbell makes sense as Sheila Firestone Ford let Chris Spielman pick her new head coach. Lions screwed up getting rid of Jim Caldwell. Caldwell was over .500 3 out of 4 seasons and made the playoffs twice. Since Caldwell Lions have won 6, 3, 5, 3 games and watched their franchise QB go win a Super Bowl with another team.

It's a franchise that has one playoff game in 65 years and had two of their all-time players quit on them in the midst of their primes. You can't logically expect anything from them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:01 am 
100000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
Every coach yells at least occasionally. Dan Campbell yells constantly.

There's an obvious difference between someone like Walsh or Gibbs and Campbell.

Winning?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:21 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
It's a franchise that has one playoff game in 65 years and had two of their all-time players quit on them in the midst of their primes. You can't logically expect anything from them.

The one playoff win in the super bowl era+ should make the Ford family divulge themselves of any involvement in the franchise. You throw in the way Barry and Megatron peaced out early and Stafford had to leave to win a playoff game and maybe the NFL should ban the Ford family from owning a franchise.

Owners seemed to matter in football, maybe not as much as in un-salary capped baseball. But more than NBA and NHL owners. Buccaneers couldn't get out of the basement while the Culverhouse family owned the team. Culverhouse Sr kicks, the family sells the team and Tampa wins a Super Bowl not long after.

The stories you hear after about the way the Tampa franchise operated under the Culverhouse regime it was a shit show that was never going anywhere. Bo Jackson being drafted #1 overall by Tampa and refusing to play for Culverhouse. Tampa had a punter or place kicker who used to shank kicks into a hedge row along the practice field where he kept a bottle of liquor. And on and on.

Lions futility now triples what the Culverhouse family achieved in 20 years owning the Buccaneers. Time for the Fords to sell the team. It's not like a woman who is heir to both the Ford and Firestone fortunes needs the cash flow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:48 pm 

I really can't think of a second or third generation family owned team that's successful aside from the Kansas City Chiefs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Rooneys have owned the Steelers since ‘33. And the Packers “family”? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:57 pm 

denisdman wrote:

Very true about Pittsburgh, but it was a perennial losing franchise until Dan and Art Rooney II took over the team in 69. Gotta give the chief credit for training his sons in the family business. Not to mention hiring a scout/coach who followed the Kansas City and Oakland interest in grabbing HBCU stars.

And frankly if Reggie White doesn't get an alleged message from God, I still believe that they've won anything since Lombardi.

Last edited by Regular Reader on Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:59 pm 

Irsay is a mess but his tenure has been pretty good.

Maras have had a good run, even though they seemingly needed to be Tisched.

Most importantly…

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Very true about Pittsburgh, but it was a perennial losing franchise until Dan and Art Rooney II took over the team in 69. Gotta give the chief credit for training his sons in the family business. Not to mention hiring a scout/coach who followed the Kansas City and Oakland interest in grabbing HBCU stars.

And frankly if Reggie White doesn't get an alleged message from God, I still believe that they've won anything since Lombardi.

And the Steelers might be the most successful franchise in the NFL era.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:03 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Most importantly…

The jury is still out on Mark Davis and the Giants were trash for a quarter century and are back there now. Tisch or no Tisch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:05 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

And the Steelers might be the most successful franchise in the NFL era.

Three head coaches in 53 years would validate that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Regular Reader wrote:
The jury is still out on Mark Davis and the Giants were trash for a quarter century and are back there now. Tisch or no Tisch.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:08 pm 

Jury will never be out on a man with that haircut.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

He pulled off something his old man couldn't. My entire life we played in a dump. LA and Oakland. We didn't even go to any games the last year in Oakland because I was so tired of the fights and other bullshit. Walking into Allegiant last year with my brother and my kids was an epic experience.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:26 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
He pulled off something his old man couldn't. My entire life we played in a dump. LA and Oakland. We didn't even go to any games the last year in Oakland because I was so tired of the fights and other bullshit. Walking into Allegiant last year with my brother and my kids was an epic experience.

I'm truly glad for you all. I've always thought that Raiders fans deserved a decent stadium. But It's wish they'd have gotten it in Oakland, I hate Vegas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:41 pm 

Surprised the Washington Football Team / Commanders are #6 on that list, behind Dallas/NE/Rams/Giants/Bears, but ahead of Jets / 49ers / Oakland.

The New York teams make sense, as probably media market is a large component of franchise value. Although the Raiders play in the tiny Las Vegas market (#40 in size), they also draw fans from Oakland/LA + have a larger national fan base than most franchises.

Are there national Washington fans? Commanders can't even claim all of Maryland, having to split it with Baltimore in the east and Pittsburgh in western Maryland. Must be the Washington Redskins Marching Band adding all that value. I think only Washington and Baltimore still have marching bands.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
I'm truly glad for you all. I've always thought that Raiders fans deserved a decent stadium. But It's wish they'd have gotten it in Oakland, I hate Vegas.

When they left LA we were glad because we thought it would be good for the franchise and they belonged in Oakland. It was a different situation this time...the national media jumped on at the end but we'd been following the situation with the stadium for years so it wasn't a surprise it wasn't going to work out. I think Vegas is a good alternative because fans from both Oakland and LA can still go to games.

We're doing joint practices with Patriots and Belichick said the facility was the "Taj Mahal" of football facilities. It really is mind-boggling. In Alameda they would hold press conferences in the weight room so they'd have to move the equipment outside. :lol:

A couple of weeks ago they did the Raiderettes Alumni gathering and this week they're hosting over 300 former players. Its nice they can do things like that and in 1st class fashion. The time in Oakland will never be forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Most importantly…

Mark Zuckerberg's grandpa?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
MongoMuller wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

When they left LA we were glad because we thought it would be good for the franchise and they belonged in Oakland. It was a different situation this time...the national media jumped on at the end but we'd been following the situation with the stadium for years so it wasn't a surprise it wasn't going to work out. I think Vegas is a good alternative because fans from both Oakland and LA can still go to games.

We're doing joint practices with Patriots and Belichick said the facility was the "Taj Mahal" of football facilities. It really is mind-boggling. In Alameda they would hold press conferences in the weight room so they'd have to move the equipment outside. :lol:

A couple of weeks ago they did the Raiderettes Alumni gathering and this week they're hosting over 300 former players. Its nice they can do things like that and in 1st class fashion. The time in Oakland will never be forgotten.

I know it's easy to hate California and make fun of LA sports fans of all kinds, but I maintain that the teams and the leagues are the ones that created this mess. There is 100% support for an NFL team in Los Angeles. The Rams started this shit storm by leaving LA for Anaheim in 1980. LA and Anaheim are about as similar as Chicago and Milwaukee. The Rams left and the LA fans rightly said..."fine...fuck off" The Raiders came and went I'm sure they would have stayed if LA and the state of California would have handed them a new free stadium. That didn't happen. It couldn't happen....economic conditions pretty much have made that impossible. For the most part, SoFi was privately funded as it should be. I think the best scenario would have been the Raiders being LA's team on building on the property holding SoFi. No Davis would front that kind of money. The Rams did....I'm guessing they'll stay prettty locked in LA given their ownership stake in the stadium

Al Davis was a complete lunatic and deserved nothing. I'll reserve judgment on his son Mark Davis, but yes...he did get the stadium accomplished where his Dad failed. I don't like Vegas, but I can't begrudge the Raiders from moving there....I just wish it was a different team like the Jaguars. I'm Switzerland on Raiders fans but can certainly give them credit with the team bouncing between Oakland -> LA -> Oakland -> Vegas....no one should have to put up with that.

The ownership that should really be burned at the stake is the Spanos family with what they've done with the Chargers.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next