It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Only NFL fans need to respond, which is why I didn't make this a poll. I'm pretty sure Jorr's contention that "most NFL fans have never been to a game" is false, despite it being much more expensive and has harder tickets to get than a baseball game. I've been to like 8 or 9(which is more than the number of MLB games I've attended. i went to my first one when I was 9, and the vast majority of fans my age I have talked to have been to one.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:09 am 

Yes.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:10 am 

Yes. 1. I went to what I thought was Favre's last game.

I prefer college football in person.

Yes.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

pizza_Place: Quonset
yes

pizza_Place: Quonset
I make it to a game every couple years or so...It's a much better game to watch on a television.

Last edited by GoldenJet on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Yes,but not since December of 1982.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Well, this probably isn't a fair question to ask on a sports message board. The point is that many of the "fans" that claim to be football fans are just people who plan their Sundays around the TV set and if they took the NFL off television, they wouldn't go searching it out, they would be watching Food Paradise like I do. I know if the Cubs weren't televised a guy like IMU is probably going to attend more games than he already does.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Yes. 1 game. Kind of too expensive and shitty weather generally for me

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:

You sound like a HUGE fan!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Well, this probably isn't a fair question to ask on a sports message board. The point is that many of the "fans" that claim to be football fans are just people who plan their Sundays around the TV set and if they took the NFL off television, they wouldn't go searching it out, they would be watching Food Paradise like I do. I know if the Cubs weren't televised a guy like IMU is probably going to attend more games than he already does.

There's no basis for that opinion though. I've talked to hundreds, and likely thousands, of NFL fans in my life. You're the only person, fan or not, that I've ever heard compare it to Food Paradise. I don't even know what the fuck that is. If they stopped televising games a lot more people would be trying to go to NFL games as well, as the early results in this thread indicate.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Football is attended in massive numbers on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays every weekend during the season.

The problem is you act like these games are being played on a sound stage with an audience that got free tickets.

There are football die hards that attend pretty much every Bears game just like there is with baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

You sound like a HUGE fan!

Thank you. I love watching football. If I go to a game I miss almost the rest of the games. If I watch from home I can get in a couple games in each time slot, plus bonus coverage, plus instant updates and highlights.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:19 am 

Hey JORR,
Do fans of The Beatles exist?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:19 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There's no basis for that opinion though. I've talked to hundreds, and likely thousands, of NFL fans in my life. You're the only person, fan or not, that I've ever heard compare it to Food Paradise. I don't even know what the fuck that is. If they stopped televising games a lot more people would be trying to go to NFL games as well, as the early results in this thread indicate.

Well, I'm not making up the numbers. Over 90% of people who claim to be football fans have never actually attended an NFL game. Your friends are probably sports fans just like you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Twice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hey JORR,

I see where you're going, but a better analogy would be to say, "I'm a huge Beatles fan. I don't own any of their recordings, but I just love them!" Anyone can claim to be a fan of anything. It's really easy to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hey JORR,

I see where you're going, but a better analogy would be to say, "I'm a huge Beatles fan. I don't own any of their recordings, but I just love them!" Anyone can claim to be a fan of anything. It's really easy to do.
No, that isn't a better analogy, because I own a lot of football stuff.

I've been to more Mets games in my life than the Bears. Do you honestly think I'm a bigger Mets fan than I am a Bears fan?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, I'm not making up the numbers. Over 90% of people who claim to be football fans have never actually attended an NFL game. Your friends are probably sports fans just like you are.

:lol:

You clearly made up that 90% number.

Because football is ubiquitous in a way that baseball can't come close to, it's easy for you to compare the housewife stuck watching the games to yourself and IMU as baseball fans, but that's clearly just a misdirection. Any reasonable person can deduce that a sport doesn't become as all-encompassing in our culture as football had without a greater number of die hard fans than any other sport.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Yes, but the last game I went to was a preseason game against the Cardinals during the last season of the old Soldier Field.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hey JORR,

That's an awful analogy. :lol:

For your analogy to work, someone would have to claim to love the NFL but also not own any NFL related stuff and not watch any NFL games on TV.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I didn't. In fact it may have been higher. I heard it on McNeil's show.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I've been a season ticket holder since 1963.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:30 am 

Well then Hockey is more popular the NFL too by that standard.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:30 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hey JORR,

For your analogy to work, someone would have to claim to love the NFL but also not own any NFL related stuff and not watch any NFL games on TV.

Fan is short for fanatic. It doesn't take much commitment or fanaticism to put on the jersey grandma gave you for your birthday and turn on the television.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Trump heard that Obama supports ISIS. Doesn't make it true. McNeil who?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:32 am 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
Well then Hockey is more popular the NFL too by that standard.

I'm not saying that's the only criterion. But certainly all fans aren't equally dedicated. It's easy to be a fan of TV.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:33 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Trump heard that Obama supports ISIS. Doesn't make it true. McNeil who?

Really?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:34 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hey JORR,

Fan is short for fanatic. It doesn't take much commitment or fanaticism to put on the jersey grandma gave you for your birthday and turn on the television.

Right, but words and their definitions evolve. Don't pretend like you don't know that. A fan in modern day lexicon is clearly someone who enjoys something. It doesn't have a more significant meaning attached to it in our society. If you want to have your own little personal definition of the word that nobody else in society shares, then feel free to, but I would even question your White Sox fandom if that's the definition of the word. Why weren't you at last night's game?

To rock my soul