It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:41 pm 

Apparently Bigfan wiped out my last thread about this topic.

I've got a few new ones:
1. The ground CAN cause a fumble. Brian Hoyer fumbled the ball last night because his hand slammed into the ground while gripping the football. If the ground can't cause a fumble, how is this possible? He should be down at the spot of the tackle, or maybe it could be considered an incomplete pass (qb spike).

2. Touchbacks on kickoffs are now at the 25 instead of the 20, but punt touchbacks still remain at the 20. I think it's idiotic that they moved the kickoff touchbacks at all, but why only move one and keep the other as is? I'd like to see punt touchbacks moved to the 25 just so coaches can look more idiotic when they punt on 4th down from like the 35 yard line, and only net themselves 10 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Douchebag wrote:
Apparently Bigfan wiped out my last thread about this topic.

I've got a few new ones:
1. The ground CAN cause a fumble. Brian Hoyer fumbled the ball last night because his hand slammed into the ground while gripping the football. If the ground can't cause a fumble, how is this possible? He should be down at the spot of the tackle, or maybe it could be considered an incomplete pass (qb spike).

2. Touchbacks on kickoffs are now at the 25 instead of the 20, but punt touchbacks still remain at the 20. I think it's idiotic that they moved the kickoff touchbacks at all, but why only move one and keep the other as is? I'd like to see punt touchbacks moved to the 25 just so coaches can look more idiotic when they punt on 4th down from like the 35 yard line, and only net themselves 10 yards.

1. hoyer wasnt touched by a defender so there's the difference. I'm fine with the rule as is, basically as soon as your knee or elbow is down the play is over. fine with me. if you go down untouched by a defender and fumble... then you are an idiot and deserve to lose the fumble

2. i heard they left the kickoff touchback distance open to change and were going to re-evauluate based on actual performance. seems like less touchbacks this year are occuring so i bet they move it back to the 20.

to me the catch rules are the most confusing yet i offer no better solution to what they have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Yesterday the Lions kickoff was near the sideline. Packers kickoff returner let the ball bounce and it settled near the boundary. Packers player ran out of bounds, laid down onto the field and touched the ball. The kick drew a flag as it's considered out of bounds since the player was able to posses it while being OOB.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Kirkwood wrote:
Yesterday the Lions kickoff was near the sideline. Packers kickoff returner let the ball bounce and it settled near the boundary. Packers player ran out of bounds, laid down onto the field and touched the ball. The kick drew a flag as it's considered out of bounds since the player was able to posses it while being OOB.

I thought the ball was live on a kickoff :?

That's why you are able to have an onside kick.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Kirkwood wrote:

That was a great play

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:14 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Did anybody see the end of the Chargers game where Indy punted and then time ran out and the Indy players downed the ball?

It was ruled an illegal touch and the Chargers got an untimed down but they never explained what was illegal about it.

It looked like a thousand other punts where the punting team covered and downed it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I read that wrong... I still cant believe a kickoff returner let a live ball bounce around and none of the Lions thought to go pick it up.

Also, isn't there a rule that a player can't intentionally go out of bounds and then be the next person to touch the ball??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I read that wrong... I still cant believe a kickoff returner let a live ball bounce around and none of the Lions thought to go pick it up.

Also, isn't there a rule that a player can't intentionally go out of bounds and then be the next person to touch the ball??

Probably will be next season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:22 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

The Packers guy ran out of bounds, fell and grabbed it before any Lions player could.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Hank Scorpio wrote:

On the the kicking team

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Late hit on the offense after a 1st down run. 15 yard penalty. Its now 1st and 10. It should be 1st and 25.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Saw this one recently, after a punt, punting coverage player running the ball down, touches ball at 7 yard line, slows the ball down. He continues past the ball into the end zone, but exits and re-establishes his position in play, the ball bounces to him and he downs it at the one yard line. All fine. Officials then award the ball to the receiving team on the seven, at point of first contact. WTF? If the first touch ends the play, then why would anything after the first touch matter if say, the guy would have caught the ball in the end zone after the touch at the seven? He did not possess the ball at the seven, so the touch should not matter. Or, if it matters, then subsequent events should not. Common sense, quite uncommon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
K Effective wrote:
Saw this one recently, after a punt, punting coverage player running the ball down, touches ball at 7 yard line, slows the ball down. He continues past the ball into the end zone, but exits and re-establishes his position in play, the ball bounces to him and he downs it at the one yard line. All fine. Officials then award the ball to the receiving team on the seven, at point of first contact. WTF? If the first touch ends the play, then why would anything after the first touch matter if say, the guy would have caught the ball in the end zone after the touch at the seven? He did not possess the ball at the seven, so the touch should not matter. Or, if it matters, then subsequent events should not. Common sense, quite uncommon.

I would love to hear Ed Hochuli explain that one.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:18 pm 

A touchback via a kickoff is placed at the 25. A touchback via interception/fumble recovery is placed at the 20.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Player safety variance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:22 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
A touchback via a kickoff is placed at the 25. A touchback via interception/fumble recovery is placed at the 20.

KW has got me on ignore.

Sad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:37 am 

A defender is not allowed to leap over the offensive line. Poor Shea McClellin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:38 am 

Both teams should get the ball in OT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:39 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Yup. They at least should do this for the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:44 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I think I hate the current OT structure even more than the old sudden death rules.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:48 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I remember some SEC CBS game in like 2003 that went 4-5 OTs or something trading Touchdowns. Was fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:49 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I remember some SEC CBS game in like 2003 that went 4-5 OTs or something trading Touchdowns. Was fucking awesome.
I like college overtime but I wish they didn't start in field goal range. OT would take a long time though if that were the case.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:53 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I like college overtime but I wish they didn't start in field goal range. OT would take a long time though if that were the case.

The NCAA version where you start at the 25 is dumb too. The game essentially becomes a field goal kicking contest at that point. Just kickoff and play the game as it should be played.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
NFL overtime should go like this. Team A gets the ball. They score a touchdown. Team B gets the ball and they tie it up. At that point, it becomes sudden death. Make it like baseball where both teams get a chance to hit.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:04 am 

Why the fuck did Green Bay get a timeout restored last night after they won a challenge? They used it! Essentially they got extra time to look at replays and give their defense a rest and gameplan for the remainder of the drive. Complete bullshit.