It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:02 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
That drafting a QB, even if you need one, with such a high pick might not make sense if your team has a bunch of other holes, especially when you aren't talking about said QB being a generational talent.
I don't think the Rams really prove that. Remember, they were the ones that traded away RGIII for a bunch of picks and they still suck.

Drafting a quarterback in round one is no guarantee of anything though. However, if you hit it has an impact unlike any other position.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
That drafting a QB, even if you need one, with such a high pick might not make sense if your team has a bunch of other holes, especially when you aren't talking about said QB being a generational talent.
I don't think the Rams really prove that. Remember, they were the ones that traded away RGIII for a bunch of picks and they still suck.

Drafting a quarterback in round one is no guarantee of anything though. However, if you hit it has an impact unlike any other position.

You are all over the place with this, The best teams ( Seattle, New England, Green Bay,Dallas, Pittsburgh, Baltimore) they don't reach and grab a QB...the Teams that do, usually suck..The niners reached for Alex Smith at #1 while the Packers took Rodgers @ 24. Big Ben was the third QB taken in one of the best QB drafts ever, this year's QB class is pretty crappy, none of the QBs are worthy of a #4 pick this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:36 pm 

312player wrote:
You are all over the place with this, The best teams ( Seattle, New England, Green Bay,Dallas, Pittsburgh, Baltimore) they don't reach and grab a QB...the Teams that do, usually suck..The niners reached for Alex Smith at #1 while the Packers took Rodgers @ 24. Big Ben was the third QB taken in one of the best QB drafts ever, this year's QB class is pretty crappy, none of the QBs are worthy of a #4 pick this year.
You really cherry picked teams there and you still came up with a list with 3 first round quarterbacks. New England had an elite quarterback but also got incredibly lucky. Seattle and Dallas made very good late round picks but those are so rare you can't really plan your quarterback future by hoping you get one of those 1 in every 5 years late round quarterbacks that work out well.

You keep on waiting for the Bears to draft a quarterback in the fourth round who becomes an elite quarterback. I'll take my chances with a quarterback drafted in the first round.

If the general consensus is that no quarterback is worthy of a first round pick then you don't do it and I've been clear about that from the start. I would guess that you will be proven wrong by people who know much more than you and me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
312player wrote:
You really cherry picked teams there and you still came up with a list with 3 first round quarterbacks. New England had an elite quarterback but also got incredibly lucky. Seattle and Dallas made very good late round picks but those are so rare you can't really plan your quarterback future by hoping you get one of those 1 in every 5 years late round quarterbacks that work out well.

You keep on waiting for the Bears to draft a quarterback in the fourth round who becomes an elite quarterback. I'll take my chances with a quarterback drafted in the first round.

If the general consensus is that no quarterback is worthy of a first round pick then you don't do it and I've been clear about that from the start. I would guess that you will be proven wrong by people who know much more than you and me.

I never thought Drew Bledsoe was elite, way too many picks..he was Jay Cutler.

I wanted the Bears to draft Cousins, I don't have a problem with drafting a QB in the first round..just not this year with the 4th overall pick. Before Dallas got "lucky" as you say, they had Tony Romo(undrafted) for a decade.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:57 pm 

312player wrote:
I wanted the Bears to draft Cousins, I don't have a problem with drafting a QB in the first round..just not this year with the 4th overall pick. Before Dallas got "lucky" as you say, they had Tony Romo(undrafted) for a decade.
The Bears have drafted quarterbacks in the the later rounds and tried UFA. It hasn't worked. Kyle Orton was the closest they got to hitting on a later round quarterback.

You can do it but it is a much lower percentage than it is getting a first round quarterback with a first round grade. It's not like any pick they have is a lock to be a star either. I'll take my chance with the pick that if it hits can literally change your franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:08 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
312player wrote:
The Bears have drafted quarterbacks in the the later rounds and tried UFA. It hasn't worked. Kyle Orton was the closest they got to hitting on a later round quarterback.

You can do it but it is a much lower percentage than it is getting a first round quarterback with a first round grade. It's not like any pick they have is a lock to be a star either. I'll take my chance with the pick that if it hits can literally change your franchise.

Derek Carr would have changed the franchise, I loved the Orton pick, he was solid..he should HF ave a SB ring if lovie wasn't a fucking meathead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:11 pm 

There were many decisions they could have made before that would have been good. I still wish they had taken Paxton Lynch and I'm not sure if he will pay off or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:42 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Answer this question: If you were the GM of the Bears, and you had the third pick, and you had a quarterback rated as the fourth best player in the draft, would you draft the quarterback? Would you be willing to draft a pick one spot higher than you rate them or would you go with the "best player available"?
So Frank, you've had a day to think about this. What is your answer?