It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:

Let's try to breakdown the little argument

1.) you claimed it is all about size. This argument falls woefully short of even being an argument.

I actually never did any such thing. The nature of the game is such that a great big man is simply going to be more important than a great guard. That's why you see teams draft Shawn Bradley in the first round. It's really not much different than saying that the greatest OL couldn't possibly be greater than the greatest QB.

FavreFan wrote:
2.) you then claimed it was all about FG%, which is laughable. If that's the case Jordan isn't a top 20 player in history. It' also a disingenuous argument since you're on record here as saying Magic is the best player ever(an argument you seemed to have abandoned here, lending credence to the "you're just trolling Bulls fans" theory

Again, I never did any such thing. My reference to field goal percentage was a rebuttal to leash's preposterous claim that Jordan was somehow a "more effective" post player than Shaq. It really doesn't help your argument to mischaracterize what I wrote.

FavreFan wrote:
3.) last bit of an attempt at an argument was you saying Jordan's inability to guard quick, little guards(I know there's some truth to this but it'll feel like a silly argument once I ask you who you're talking about and how it affected MJ) is an analog to Shaq's notorious poor free throw shooting.

So you agree that Jordan had a flaw in his game.

Free throw shooting is a silly complaint used by white suburban guys who hit 70% in their driveways to diminish the impact of guys like Shaq and Wilt. Most games that had Shaq and Wilt in them didn't come down to free throws at the end.

I know that Jerry Krause is a whipping boy when it comes to the Bulls, but it can't be denied that he created a situation for Jordan to thrive. I think it's entirely possible that in a different world he could have been George Gervin and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

FavreFan wrote:
It's going to be am extremely difficult task for you to win this argument logically.

How am I doing? :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
FavreFan wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Negative. Brady has won every year he's played. Rice is nothing without a good QB to throw the ball to him (Montana, Young, Rich Gannon in Oakland). I think defining an NBA player like Jordan as Basketball GOAT or Gretzky as NHL GOAT (which he's not) is easier than a position player in the NFL. For purposes of this argument, everything runs through the QB. I think the only correct answer when it comes to GOAT in the NFL is a QB, with consideration for Running Backs, who create more once a ball is handed to them.

You seem to be making an argument for the most effective football player. I would argue the best football player is the one who separates himself from his peers the most. (Peers meaning by era and by position). Rice and LT have a much stronger case in that department than Brady does.

We are looking at it using different criteria. Using your criteria, Mike Alstott could be considered a GOAT because he was that much better than the rest of the fullbacks that played in his era.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

1.) you claimed it is all about size. This argument falls woefully short of even being an argument.

I actually never did any such thing. The nature of the game is such that a great big man is simply going to be more important than a great guard. That's why you see teams draft Shawn Bradley in the first round. It's really not much different than saying that the greatest OL couldn't possibly be greater than the greatest QB.

FavreFan wrote:
2.) you then claimed it was all about FG%, which is laughable. If that's the case Jordan isn't a top 20 player in history. It' also a disingenuous argument since you're on record here as saying Magic is the best player ever(an argument you seemed to have abandoned here, lending credence to the "you're just trolling Bulls fans" theory

Again, I never did any such thing. My reference to field goal percentage was a rebuttal to leash's preposterous claim that Jordan was somehow a "more effective" post player than Shaq. It really doesn't help your argument to mischaracterize what I wrote.

FavreFan wrote:
3.) last bit of an attempt at an argument was you saying Jordan's inability to guard quick, little guards(I know there's some truth to this but it'll feel like a silly argument once I ask you who you're talking about and how it affected MJ) is an analog to Shaq's notorious poor free throw shooting.

So you agree that Jordan had a flaw in his game.

Free throw shooting is a silly complaint used by white suburban guys who hit 70% in their driveways to diminish the impact of guys like Shaq and Wilt. Most games that had Shaq and Wilt in them didn't come down to free throws at the end.

I know that Jerry Krause is a whipping boy when it comes to the Bulls, but it can't be denied that he created a situation for Jordan to thrive. I think it's entirely possible that in a different world he could have been George Gervin and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

FavreFan wrote:
It's going to be am extremely difficult task for you to win this argument logically.

How am I doing? :D

Awful if we're being honest.

I don't think any less of you, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
You're doing pretty poorly if I'm being honest. All you did is deny that you wrote what you wrote. That's fine, but the fact is if I mischractierized your argument than you didn't even make one yet in this argument. It sounds nice to say games didn't come down to Shaq's free throws but you still have to account for the fact that Jordan absolutely dwarfs him in both individual and team accomplishments.

Guys like Rick, leash, and I you want to dismiss as biased Bulls fans. But we know who the best player of all time is. You cant decide if it's shaq, wilt, or magic. Might wanna narrow down that before trying again at this argument :wink:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Manning couldn't get to a Super Bowl without the NFL tweaking the rules for downfield contact of WRs. Ty Law used to manhandle WRs in the AFC championships and old horseface McGhee would go to shit. Both his championships weren't impressive. He beat a terribly flawed Bears team and had a defense carry his corpse to another one. Fuck Peyton Manning
Yeah. The different era Brady played in was much tougher.

Brady played uphill both ways and with balls half the normal inflation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Caller Bob wrote:
Caught cheating...where?..outside the Bowling Green massacre...

Here you go,only 1+2+3 involve the current regime

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-new-england-patriots-4-biggest-scandals.html/?a=viewall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
chaspoppcap wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-new-england-patriots-4-biggest-scandals.html/?a=viewall

I know they cheated, I was wondering if could provide a geographical location as to where it happened?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Obviously Rick meant Eli Manning.

2-0 in Super Bowls against Tom Brady.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
chaspoppcap wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Holy shit was that article dumb.

1. They routed the Colts even worse in the second half, than they did in the first half. Then they beat Seattle to win the Super Bowl. The NFL handled that situation far worse than the Patriots did. The Pats are partying, while Goodell got booed off the stage.

2. Under the rules at the time, that play was completely legal. It's just stupid to include this.

3. They absolutely cheated here, and they were punished for it.

4. Nothing to do with Belichick or Brady. And it's more home field advantage than cheating anyway.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
chaspoppcap wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Is this the fake news Hillary wants to ban?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I know almost nothing about NBA basketball but for anyone to argue that Jordan isn't the best of all time is insane. His colleagues all agree,well except for Pippen. It was proven when he was banished from the game the Bulls did not win it all ,then he comes back and bingo 3 in a row. That proves it right there he could elevate a good team to greatness. Plus,he has to be the most competitive prson in the history of the game. That alone would make me take him over anyone. A great player who hates to lose. Lord,that alone makes him ten times better than LeBron.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
chaspoppcap wrote:
I know almost nothing about NBA basketball but for anyone to argue that Jordan isn't the best of all time is insane. His colleagues all agree,well except for Pippen. It was proven when he was banished from the game the Bulls did not win it all ,then he comes back and bingo 3 in a row. That proves it right there he could elevate a good team to greatness. Plus,he has to be the most competitive prson in the history of the game. That alone would make me take him over anyone. A great player who hates to lose. Lord,that alone makes him ten times better than LeBron.

Have you heard Lebron James speak lately? He clearly wants to win.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:19 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:21 pm 

Chus wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

Have you heard Lebron James speak lately? He clearly wants to win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:03 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.
How do you even really argue against it?

He's the greatest player ever. Quarterback isn't even part of the discussion.

The greatest player ever has to be a quarterback. Just like the greatest basketball player ever has to be a center.

No. And the greatest rapper doesnt have to be from NY either.

Ill defer to you on greatest horse has to be from Kentucky but that seems silly too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
Nas wrote:
No one is better than Brady.

I think another interesting question should be:

At what point did Tom Brady make it clear that he was better than Peyton Manning?

It took a while for me. I know, for much of the 2000's - up to 2007 or 2008, I had thought that PM was better, but that Brady just had a better coach who knew how to build a defense and execute a run game better, but in the last decade or so, it seems as if they have abandoned the balanced offense in favor of riding Brady's arm and brain. Even in that awesome 2007 season, how much of that could be attributed to the presence of Moss?

I thought he was better before they beat the Seahawks but I don't think anyone could argue Manning was better after that game.
Manning still has the statistical edge and isn't a system quarterback but Brady is clearly better.

I recently heard Ryan Clark make a "Brady had better defenses and more talent around him" about Manning.

The Colts had how many pro bowl guys on offense? Harrison, Wayne, Faulk, James, Saturday etc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:09 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Not true, Boyd. Edelman might be better than anyone Manning ever had.

Martellus Bennet is very good. And you conveniently left off Gronk.

Holy shit. Im a Marvin Harisin hater but hes better than Julian fucking Edelman

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
JORR just got dismantled in this thread. :lol:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.

No. Jerry rice is and it's still not really close. He's easily the best QB ever though.

Jim Brown has an argument against Rice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Peyton took 1st round wide receivers and made them stars. Brady took UDFA 'cracka' wide receivers and made them stars.
Brady is better. The rewriting of what Peyton did is wrong.

Peyton hit the apex of QBing for a few years. Nobody could be better in reg season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
JORR just got dismantled in this thread. :lol:

I don't think so. I just got yelled at by a bunch of Bulls fans who can't even consider the possibility that anyone other than Jordan might be the greatest.

No, you did. You barely even attempted an argument, just seemed like you wanted to troll Bulls fans

2.) you then claimed it was all about FG%, which is laughable. IfNo. And the greatest rapper doesnt have to be from NY either.
that's the case Jordan isn't a top 20 player in history. It'

55% for his career. 2 years above 60!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
. Most games that had Shaq and Wilt in them didn't come down to free throws at the end.

Shazam had to be taken out of tight games late because of the ft shooting. That, like all lives, matters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I read JORR's argument as not necessarily Shaq vs Jordan, but more so a "who would you take" kinda debate in which the choices are someone 7'1 and virtually unstoppable in the paint, and a 6'6 dude who can do whatever he wants whenever he wants. Jordan and Shaq are obvious examples of these prototypes but the debate is not to compare their legacies, it's to argue which type of player would you take when starting a franchise. If health and soft skills like hard work and determination are guaranteed from the outset, then yeah I'd say there's going to be a healthy debate over picking the "Shaq-like" player vs the "Jordan-like" player. It's hard for me to be neutral because I grew up in the era of the small guy doing everything for a team (AI, Marbury, Kidd, Kobe, VC, etc.), so I may be partial to the guy who plays like Jordan, but starting a team with a 7'1 guy at 300lbs or whatever is tempting as hell.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
You can interchange several great centers as the best center ever. That alone should be the end of the argument. You cant do that with Jordan because no one compares. He's the best of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:46 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
Aside from my bitterness at him getting MVP with me holding a James White ticket at 150-1, Brady ended the arguement tonight.

Wow. You should have cashed that ticket IMO. When in doubt it goes to the QB though.

I just looked it up and the last time a RB won the SB MVP was Terrell Davis in 98.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.

The greatest player ever has to be a quarterback. Just like the greatest basketball player ever has to be a center.

No. And the greatest rapper doesnt have to be from NY either.

Ill defer to you on greatest horse has to be from Kentucky but that seems silly too.

The greatest rapper probably is from New York. The greatest horse is not from Kentucky.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:
You can interchange several great centers as the best center ever. That alone should be the end of the argument. You cant do that with Jordan because no one compares. He's the best of all time.

If we throw out the centers, why are you so convinced Jordan was better than Magic?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:59 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

If we throw out the centers, why are you so convinced Jordan was better than Magic?

My age and city bias probably :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:
I read JORR's argument as not necessarily Shaq vs Jordan, but more so a "who would you take" kinda debate in which the choices are someone 7'1 and virtually unstoppable in the paint, and a 6'6 dude who can do whatever he wants whenever he wants. Jordan and Shaq are obvious examples of these prototypes but the debate is not to compare their legacies, it's to argue which type of player would you take when starting a franchise. If health and soft skills like hard work and determination are guaranteed from the outset, then yeah I'd say there's going to be a healthy debate over picking the "Shaq-like" player vs the "Jordan-like" player. It's hard for me to be neutral because I grew up in the era of the small guy doing everything for a team (AI, Marbury, Kidd, Kobe, VC, etc.), so I may be partial to the guy who plays like Jordan, but starting a team with a 7'1 guy at 300lbs or whatever is tempting as hell.

Yeah, if you took one of the great centers- Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Shaq- and put him on different teams with wide arrays of different players, I just think he's going to be more valuable than even the ultimate premium guard in Jordan or Magic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Honestly probably the fact that so many NBA players from that era talk about how Jordan is the best of all time I'm not sure if Magic's ever come out and actually said it but I believe he has

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

My age and city bias probably :lol: :lol:

:lol: Fair enough. And look, I'm not going to say that anyone is wrong for suggesting Jordan was greater than Magic, just that it isn't some easily dismissible absurdity to go the other way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next