It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
You can interchange several great centers as the best center ever. That alone should be the end of the argument. You cant do that with Jordan because no one compares. He's the best of all time.

If we throw out the centers, why are you so convinced Jordan was better than Magic?

Honestly probably the fact that so many NBA players from that era talk about how Jordan is the best of all time I'm not sure if Magic's ever come out and actually said it but I believe he has

Players say a lot of dumb things. Ernie Banks said Curt Simmons was the toughest pitcher he ever faced. The Bulls beat everybody and Jordan was their star. It's natural to talk about how great the guy who beat you was. It doesn't really mean a whole lot though. It wouldn't matter if LeBron won the next ten championships, Barkley is still going to say Jordan was the greatest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
I'm not sure if Magic's ever come out
I dont think he has.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwxXsEltyas

Abridged video (15 minutes) of M.I.T. Professor John Leonard shitting all over the Deflategate "data" supplied by Exponent, a consulting firm also known for putting together papers disputing the dangers of second-hand smoke and another on asbestos ... ok, sure ... real credible outfit. :roll:

Incidentally, scientists from places such as Carnegie Mellon, the University of Chicago, Boston College, Rockefeller University, the University of Illinois, and Bowdoin College all agreed with John Lenoard's disputation of Exponent.

Last edited by Don Tiny on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
This thread is quickly approaching "Jimmy Butler Trade Rumor" status.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
3.) last bit of an attempt at an argument was you saying Jordan's inability to guard quick, little guards(I know there's some truth to this but it'll feel like a silly argument once I ask you who you're talking about and how it affected MJ) is an analog to Shaq's notorious poor free throw shooting.

So you agree that Jordan had a flaw in his game.

Which "little guard" did Jordan have trouble guarding before he came back from his first retirement?

His whole game changed after that.

Even so, the only guys who gave him anything that would approach trouble were Allen Iverson, who could shake anyone and was as fast as he ever would be - he wasn't even old enough to drink - and Stoudemire, who Jordan did not face-up very often, but who excelled at firing up long shots and ALSO darting in and out of the trees.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:31 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
JORR just got dismantled in this thread. :lol:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.
How do you even really argue against it?

He's the greatest player ever. Quarterback isn't even part of the discussion.

No. Jerry rice is and it's still not really close. He's easily the best QB ever though.

Jim Brown has an argument against Rice.

He'd be wrong. As would Walter.

But I'm shocked at JORR's centers argument. And especially by his lack of inclusion of Russell. Wins matter.
:twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Ok... glad I came back to all.... that.
So Brady, yeah?
Thanks.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.

No. Jerry rice is and it's still not really close. He's easily the best QB ever though.

But I'm shocked at JORR's centers argument. And especially by his lack of inclusion of Russell. Wins matter.

Russell was too short to meet his criteria.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.

I did mention him.

I just couldn't put a shooting guard- regardless of how great- above the four or five best centers.

It would be like saying Anthony Munoz was better than Joe Montana.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
That's just an awful analogy.

Your problem here is you think of basketball in terms of how they played the game in 1970. One of the reasons Jordan is so revered is because even as a "little guy" he vanquished several great centers in the 90's and became by far the most dominant player in the game. By your logic, David Robinson and Hakeem have to be better and more important than Jordan. But we all saw that wasn't true.

If the best center is necessarily better than the best shooting guard, Jordan wouldn't have six titles and Kobe wouldn't have more without Shaq than vice versa. Proof is in the pudding. Your argument doesn't hold water.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:

Your problem here is you think of basketball in terms of how they played the game in 1970. One of the reasons Jordan is so revered is because even as a "little guy" he vanquished several great centers in the 90's and became by far the most dominant player in the game. By your logic, David Robinson and Hakeem have to be better and more important than Jordan. But we all saw that wasn't true.

If the best center is necessarily better than the best shooting guard, Jordan wouldn't have six titles and Kobe wouldn't have more without Shaq than vice versa. Proof is in the pudding. Your argument doesn't hold water.

Granted, it's not perfect, but you're coming close to admitting Jordan is granted special points precisely because he isn't a big guy, as if size isn't the same type of physical attribute as any other that makes a player great.

Also, that's another thing that comes from the era in which you became a basketball fan- assigning titles to specific players rather than teams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:04 pm 

There's no way JORR believes that shit. He's just being ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Granted, it's not perfect, but you're coming close to admitting Jordan is granted special points precisely because he isn't a big guy, as if size isn't the same type of physical attribute as any other that makes a player great.

Also, that's another thing that comes from the era in which you became a basketball fan- assigning titles to specific players rather than teams.

Again, you're not even attempting a counter argument to us saying Jordan is the GOAT. I don't care how big or little a guy is here. I've spent years telling Nas how Duncan is better than Kobe.

As far as the titles go, it's obviously more important in basketball than any other sport because of the impact one player has, but we can throw out titles and team success and focus on individual acocomishmrnts. Jordan dwarfs Shaq in that area as well. It's ok to admit that there isn't a logical argument to be made that Shaq was better than Jordan and you're just needling bulls fans.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:08 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
There's no way JORR believes that shit. He's just being ridiculous.

Yeah, he only seems half committed to this troll job anyway.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 pm 

It's funny, though, because when I talk basketball players with my old man, his knee-jerk question is always "how big is he?" He's really just asking for height. And he hates the guard-dominated game. But he's in his mid-70s so it's understandable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:13 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
It's funny, though, because when I talk basketball players with my old man, his knee-jerk question is always "how big is he?" He's really just asking for height. And he hates the guard-dominated game. But he's in his mid-70s so it's understandable.

I think it's interesting that this argument stemmed from JORR saying centers and QBs have to be the best because they are the most important. That doesn't really add up logically though because if you say Jerry Rice isn't as good as Tom Brady because Rice needed someone to get him the ball, it's tough to turn around and say Shaq is better than Jordan. Jordan didn't need someone to get him the ball. Shaq did.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:19 pm 

Ehh...

IMO, the real answer is basketball is a sport where position is irrelevant.

In football, the rules make the QB the most important position. Brady is the best solely because the rules make a QB have the biggest impact on the game.

Pretty much all sports compartmentalize skill sets. Basketball is the one that doesn't, and it's confusing for our older friends.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Again, you're not even attempting a counter argument to us saying Jordan is the GOAT. I don't care how big or little a guy is here. I've spent years telling Nas how Duncan is better than Kobe.

As far as the titles go, it's obviously more important in basketball than any other sport because of the impact one player has, but we can throw out titles and team success and focus on individual acocomishmrnts. Jordan dwarfs Shaq in that area as well. It's ok to admit that there isn't a logical argument to be made that Shaq was better than Jordan and you're just needling bulls fans.

Again, it's not simply size. Tiny Archibald was better than Luc Longley. But the greatest big guy is just going to be better than the greatest guard. Wilt and Russell and Shaquille aren't just some average schmoes. The fact that none of Jordan's teams was any more than what you might call pretty good until they got Cartwright, a good- not great- center should tell you a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Ehh...

It's not though. That's why Luc Longley played instead of just going with Rodman at center most of the time. Even in an era where there were few top big men and the position had been diminished.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:26 pm 

OK, JORR's clearly not serious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:27 pm 

Jordan was one the best team six times. None of those six times did he have anything close to resembling a good center.

I'm still waiting on an actual argument that Shaq was better than Jordan. You haven't really made one yet outside of height and FG%, which we already discussed two pages ago.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Ehh...

It's not though. That's why Luc Longley played instead of just going with Rodman at center most of the time. Even in an era where there were few top big men and the position had been diminished.

The 90's had few top big men?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:

If position is really "irrelevant", why wouldn't your top five be on the floor for most of the minutes? Do you really think Longley was one of the best five on those teams?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Ehh...

Yeah, relative to the time when Wilt and Russell and Kareem played. Maybe not relative to a time when people thought Dwight Howard was good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Jordan was one the best team six times. None of those six times did he have anything close to resembling a good center.

That's simply wrong. Cartwright was a very good center and Longley was probably above average during the championship run. Not to mention they picked up the guy who got lost at sea one year and he kicked ass.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

If position is really "irrelevant", why wouldn't your top five be on the floor for most of the minutes? Do you really think Longley was one of the best five on those teams?

Stop. You're drunk on wine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

You're not going to answer the question, because you know he wasn't. But it's still an important position and they couldn't get away with just throwing Kukoc out there in his place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:37 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

You're not going to answer the question, because you know he wasn't. But it's still an important position and they couldn't get away with just throwing Kukoc out there in his place.

They had to account for matchups. Longley was big. Are you saying that Longley was the catalyst for their titles?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That's simply wrong. Cartwright was a very good center and Longley was probably above average during the championship run. Not to mention they picked up the guy who got lost at sea one year and he kicked ass.

Define very good. Longley was absolutely not above average.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:39 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Ehh...

Yeah, relative to the time when Wilt and Russell and Kareem played. Maybe not relative to a time when people thought Dwight Howard was good.

You're all over the place in this thread. The 90's had few good big men but happened to produce one who was a better player than Michael Jordan. :lol:

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next