It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I admit I forgot about Gronk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Yeah, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne came out of nowhere. I can't even remember them having success in college or being on the radar for the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Yeah, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne came out of nowhere. I can't even remember them having success in college or being on the radar for the NFL.
Look at the numbers with and without Peyton.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Denver won that superbowl thanks to Von Miller, not the gimp armed, "done' Peyton Manning.

I'm not talking about the Super Bowl. I'm talking about how Peyton showed up in Denver and suddenly they were filled with offensive weapons too.

Yup. He looked superhuman during his first couple years in Denver. 55 TDs in 2013.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:44 pm 

Marvin Harrison was a 1st round pick for a reason. He put up three pretty good years before Manning. Yeah, of course Manning allowed him to be even better, but you act like he was this non-talented hack before Manning arrived.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Denver won that superbowl thanks to Von Miller, not the gimp armed, "done' Peyton Manning.

I'm not talking about the Super Bowl. I'm talking about how Peyton showed up in Denver and suddenly they were filled with offensive weapons too.

Yup. He looked superhuman during his first couple years in Denver. 55 TDs in 2013.

And none of those guys does much now. Is Eric Decker any good?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:46 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Marvin Harrison was a 1st round pick for a reason. He put up three pretty good years before Manning. Yeah, of course Manning allowed him to be even better, but you act like he was this non-talented hack before Manning arrived.

Look at the numbers!

Peyton made everyone better. They all got much worse without him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I admit I forgot about Gronk.

Who Brady didn't have yesterday either . Sorry but Brady is the alpha in this race. He'd totally rub Mannings breakfast on his sack and make him eat it in that Nationwide commercial .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

JORR just got dismantled in this thread. :lol:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.
How do you even really argue against it?

He's the greatest player ever. Quarterback isn't even part of the discussion.

No. Jerry rice is and it's still not really close. He's easily the best QB ever though.

To rock my soul

Peyton took 1st round wide receivers and made them stars. Brady took UDFA 'cracka' wide receivers and made them stars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Very, very bad football thought.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:51 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yes

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.

No. Jerry rice is and it's still not really close. He's easily the best QB ever though.

:?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:53 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

In his defense, he does play for the Jets now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:54 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Peyton took 1st round wide receivers and made them stars. Brady took UDFA 'cracka' wide receivers and made them stars.
Brady is better. The rewriting of what Peyton did is wrong.

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
Nas wrote:
No one is better than Brady.

I think another interesting question should be:

At what point did Tom Brady make it clear that he was better than Peyton Manning?

It took a while for me. I know, for much of the 2000's - up to 2007 or 2008, I had thought that PM was better, but that Brady just had a better coach who knew how to build a defense and execute a run game better, but in the last decade or so, it seems as if they have abandoned the balanced offense in favor of riding Brady's arm and brain. Even in that awesome 2007 season, how much of that could be attributed to the presence of Moss?

I thought he was better before they beat the Seahawks but I don't think anyone could argue Manning was better after that game.
Manning still has the statistical edge and isn't a system quarterback but Brady is clearly better.

Manning had better weapons around him:

Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Brandon Stokely, Edgerrin James, and a fairly good offensive line

Brady had:

Troy Brown, Donte Stallworth, Randy Moss (1 good season), a bunch of short, quick white guys, and a piecemeal offensive line

Brady is better.

Piecemeal. Brady has had one of the best offensive lines in the nfl almost every year of his career. I agree with your overall point though.

To rock my soul

The only significant investment the Patriots have made for Brady was Gronk, 2nd rounder. Randy Moss was a roll of the dice but only a 4th rounder. The only skill position they ever drafted was Maroney in 2006 and he was a bust. They have asked Brady to work with scrap heap pickups his entire career. Now in the case of Welker, he was a pretty high pick with Miami that didn't realize his potential, but it was still a scrap heap pickup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:55 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.

We would have to define the criteria. It sounds like you're placing almost all yours on super bowl titles.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:

I don't think so. I just got yelled at by a bunch of Bulls fans who can't even consider the possibility that anyone other than Jordan might be the greatest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:58 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.

We would have to define the criteria. It sounds like you're placing almost all yours on super bowl titles.

Negative. Brady has won every year he's played. Rice is nothing without a good QB to throw the ball to him (Montana, Young, Rich Gannon in Oakland). I think defining an NBA player like Jordan as Basketball GOAT or Gretzky as NHL GOAT (which he's not) is easier than a position player in the NFL. For purposes of this argument, everything runs through the QB. I think the only correct answer when it comes to GOAT in the NFL is a QB, with consideration for Running Backs, who create more once a ball is handed to them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:00 pm 

Where Manning should get a 'handicap' is head coaching. Beliciek will go down as the best ever. While Tony Dungy is an overrated hack. That colts defense was shit many years under his watch with Manning. If it was more consistent year after year(which it should have been as he was the Tampa 2 guru) they would have won more than 1 SB.

I don't have time to go over the numbers right now, but if you look, I believe that Colts defense was very jeckle and hyde in the mid 2000's. A couple of years, they were ranked very high, but other years very low. It may have coincided with the health/play of Bob Sanders because as we all know if you don't have a good safety the Tampa 2 D is dog shit.

Last edited by Caller Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Manning couldn't get to a Super Bowl without the NFL tweaking the rules for downfield contact of WRs. Ty Law used to manhandle WRs in the AFC championships and old horseface McGhee would go to shit. Both his championships weren't impressive. He beat a terribly flawed Bears team and had a defense carry his corpse to another one. Fuck Peyton Manning

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:04 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Manning couldn't get to a Super Bowl without the NFL tweaking the rules for downfield contact of WRs. Ty Law used to manhandle WRs in the AFC championships and old horseface McGhee would go to shit. Both his championships weren't impressive. He beat a terribly flawed Bears team and had a defense carry his corpse to another one. Fuck Peyton Manning
Yeah. The different era Brady played in was much tougher.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't think so. I just got yelled at by a bunch of Bulls fans who can't even consider the possibility that anyone other than Jordan might be the greatest.

No, you did. You barely even attempted an argument, just seemed like you wanted to troll Bulls fans

Let's try to breakdown the little argument

1.) you claimed it is all about size. This argument falls woefully short of even being an argument.

2.) you then claimed it was all about FG%, which is laughable. If that's the case Jordan isn't a top 20 player in history. It' also a disingenuous argument since you're on record here as saying Magic is the best player ever(an argument you seemed to have abandoned here, lending credence to the "you're just trolling Bulls fans" theory

3.) last bit of an attempt at an argument was you saying Jordan's inability to guard quick, little guards(I know there's some truth to this but it'll feel like a silly argument once I ask you who you're talking about and how it affected MJ) is an analog to Shaq's notorious poor free throw shooting.

It's going to be am extremely difficult task for you to win this argument logically.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Brady is the best QB of all time. Peyton is definitely top 5.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:08 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brady is the GOAT.

Negative. Brady has won every year he's played. Rice is nothing without a good QB to throw the ball to him (Montana, Young, Rich Gannon in Oakland). I think defining an NBA player like Jordan as Basketball GOAT or Gretzky as NHL GOAT (which he's not) is easier than a position player in the NFL. For purposes of this argument, everything runs through the QB. I think the only correct answer when it comes to GOAT in the NFL is a QB, with consideration for Running Backs, who create more once a ball is handed to them.

You seem to be making an argument for the most effective football player. I would argue the best football player is the one who separates himself from his peers the most. (Peers meaning by era and by position). Rice and LT have a much stronger case in that department than Brady does.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Yeah. The different era Brady played in was much tougher.

:lol:

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:09 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Agreed. MANY in this thread seem to feel it necessary to demean Peyton in order to bump Brady up even higher. That in and of itself is telling.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Manning beat Brady and the Pats both years to reach SB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
Rice and LT have a much stronger case in that department than Brady does.

I was just going to bring up LT. An unblockable defensive player is priceless.

Like we saw twice against the Giants, if the defense is sitting on Tom Brady's head, he can't beat you.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next