It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Rules Trivia
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I'll post the answers tonight and the winner gets a free GIF!

1) 2nd down on the Bears 40 yard line, Mike Glennon lines up in shotgun and fumbles the snap. Scrambling for it, he picks it up 13 yards behind the line of scrimmage and the play is busted. Victor Cruz notices Glennon is in trouble and runs back towards his area, and Glennon throws a backward pass to Cruz from the 27 yard line to the Bears 25 yard line. Kevin White sees Cruz heading back and attempts to block, but ends up holding Jason Verrett at the 26 yard line. Cruz catches the ball and runs it in for a touchdown! However, the refs call holding on White, and the Chargers accept the penalty. Where is the ball placed for 3rd down?

2) 1st down on the Seahawks 25 yard line. Markus Wheaton attempts to throw off the defender by lining up in a three point stance. After Richard Sherman laughs at him, Wheaton realizes this is a stupid strategy and moves into a standard two point stance. Immediately after this occurs, the ball is snapped, and Glennon throws a pass towards Wheaton at the 10 yard line, but Sherman grabs his jersey and prevents him from reaching the ball and it falls incomplete. If the refs follow the rulebook, what is the down and location of the ball following this play?

3) 1st down, ball is on the Buccaneers 22 yard line after the Bears just completed a 40 yard pass. Everyone is running up to the line and sets in a legal formation before the ball is snapped with 20 seconds left in the game. All players are expecting a spike to stop the clock, however, White and Glennon have talked about this before hand and will attempt to complete a pass. Glennon takes the snap and fakes the spike, while White is running downfield double-covered while the rest of the Bucs stand where they are. Glennon, fearful of the wrath of Fox, then spikes the ball with 16 seconds remaining. What is the down and location of the ball following this play?

4) Out of desperation, the Bears have been toying around with using Markus Wheaton as a wide receiver/quarterback combination weapon. Giants have just punted to the Bears, and they take over at their own 31 yard line. Wheaton goes in to run the offense as a QB and Loggains is relaying the play call through Wheaton's helmet. As they are approaching the huddle, but before the huddle commences, White gets a leg cramp and comes off the field. The Bears send Glennon in and Loggains relays a different call to him, moving Wheaton back to WR. The ball is snapped to Glennon, and a pass is completed to Wheaton to the 50 yard line, after taking a bump from Rodgers-Cromartie at the 33. If the refs enforce the rules correctly, what should be the down, distance, and yard line for the next snap?

5) The Bears are playing at Miami and have a 1PM Eastern start time. On the way to the stadium from their hotel, a series of improvised explosive devices detonate around the area. SWAT teams are called in and roads are blocked. President Trump convinces the media not to disclose these events and also convinces social media networks to temporarily shut down without mention of this incident. The Bears are stuck on the team buses and cannot get to the stadium until 1:35PM Eastern start time. The officials of the game know nothing about the events that have occurred, knowing only that the Bears have arrived late for the game. What, if any, penalty is assessed to the Bears, assuming that forfeiture has not yet been called?

Post subject: Re: NFL Rules Trivia
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I don't even understand how catches work.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I'm sure I'll miss them all. The NFL rules are all dumb but I want that GIF!!!!

1--the 16 (10 yds from the spot of the foul)

2--1st down at the 12-1/2 yard line (PI, half the distance to the goal)

3--3rd down at the 32 (10 yds and loss of down from intentional grounding since he dropped back but then threw it away without leaving the pocket)

4--no idea...I don't think a WR can have a radio in his helmet

5--wow :lol: :lol: :lol: ummmm.... Automatic loss of the coin toss and a 15 yard penalty assessed after kickoff??

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:04 pm 

1) Trick question. The ball will be placed at the 16, but it isn't third down. Holding does not cause a loss of down, so it's still 2nd down.

2) Illegal formation because the wideout wasn't properly set on the line. Can't have fewer than 7 men on the line. The penalties offset and they replay from the 25.

3) 3rd down on 32. Intentional grounding.

4) Unsportsmanlike conduct? 10 yards and loss of down. Ball at the 21.

5) Delay of game for infinity.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:20 am 

What are the answers?!?! I waited all holiday weekend.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Oh yeah... here you go. Feel free to tell me where IMU :wink:

1) Per Rule 8, Section 7, Article 7, Enforcement Spot During A Backwards Pass or Fumble the rules state that the penalty is enforced from the spot of the backwards pass or fumble, however, exception B2 indicates if the foul occurs behind the line of scrimmage, the spot of enforcement is the previous spot. Since holding is a 10 yard penalty, the ball should be placed at the Bears 30 yard line.
2) Per Rule X, Section 4, Article 2, Item 2 False Start the rules state that any eligible receiver is permitted to change from a three point stance to a two point stance (or vice versa) provided he resets prior to the snap. Since that did not occur, this is a False Start penalty and the play is dead. Sherman’s holding does not apply. It should be first down on the Seahawks 30 yard line. The referees were wrong not to whistle the play dead before the pass occurred.
3) Per Rule 8, Section 2, Article 1, Item 4 Delayed Spike the rules state that a passer, after delaying his passing action for strategic purposes, is prohibited from throwing the ball to the ground in front of him, even though he is in no pressure from defensive rushers. Intentional Grounding is the penalty, it is a 10 yard penalty which would put the ball at the Bucs 32 yard line for 2nd down. Since it is in the last minute of a half, Rule 4, Section 7, Article 1 Illegal Acts enforces a 10 second run-off as well, leaving the Bears only 6 seconds to win the game.
4) Per Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3 Speakers In Helmets, the offensive team is permitted to have three helmets with radio receivers active at any time, but only one may be in the game at once. Players who have a principal position that is not a quarterback are required to have two helmets, one with a receiver and one without. The penalty is Illegal Substitution and a loss of five yards. Assuming the Giants accept the penalty, this would put the Bears at their 26 yard line, 1st and 15.
5) Per the Book Could You Be The Referee?, the penalty is 15 yards and loss of coin toss option (also stated by the NFL here: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries , although I could not find it in the official rule book.)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:24 pm 

Looks like I beat leash. GIF time!!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:26 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Looks like I beat leash. GIF time!!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:27 pm 

:lol: