It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
:shock:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07/ninety-nine-percent-ailing-nfl-player-brains-sport-hallmarks-neurodegenerative-disease

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Clearly DRE isn't an issue.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:10 pm 

I think it's fairly obvious now that football is bad for your brain. As long as the players fully understand that then let's play some football!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Next there are going to come out with a report that 99 of 100 hockey players have liver problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think it's fairly obvious now that football is bad for your brain. As long as the players fully understand that then let's play some football!

Football isn't bad for your brain. Hitting your head is bad for your brain.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
what i want to know is that if they picked out 100 brains at random from various people of all walks of life. how many of them would have the symptoms of CTE.

i'm certain its not as high as football or almost 90+ percent but what if its 30%? what if 50% of construction workers have CTE? i work in an office, is this even safe?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Nas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Football isn't bad for your brain. Hitting your head is bad for your brain.

Ah, the assault rifles are fine it's the people using them are bad argument... Interesting take. Are you proposing flag football?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 pm 

The study really only shows that 99% of former NFL brains that show CTE symptoms in life did in fact have CTE. That doesn't exactly move the ball forward on the research.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Fuck the NFL.

With the technology today there aren't helmets out there designed for this kind of stuff? Would it even help?

like in the baseball steroids era when we all knew everyone was juicing but didnt care since it made us feel good WE ALL KNOW NFL PLAYERS ARE JUICING AND WE STILL DONT CARE.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Parking and Spiegs discussed this pretty well. Yes they only looked at football brains that were donated by people that suspected issues already. At the same time you couple extrapolate it out and still find the like 9% of players might have CTE. It is good to know this information but not some grand defining result.

More important is info let's people know and they can choose to play or not.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 pm 

It's also time to ban tackle for under 18 year olds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Or maybe (some may argue) to stop subsidizing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:43 pm 

Yes it may come to the point of either of those ideas at some time.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
hnd wrote:
what i want to know is that if they picked out 100 brains at random from various people of all walks of life. how many of them would have the symptoms of CTE.

i'm certain its not as high as football or almost 90+ percent but what if its 30%? what if 50% of construction workers have CTE? i work in an office, is this even safe?

Look at soccer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
formerlyknownas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Or maybe (some may argue) to stop subsidizing it.

That's right. Schools shouldn't be sanctioning brain damage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 pm 

That one former NFL player that didn't is a wuss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
How many Bears GM's have had it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:

I can promise you John Lynch has it and he fleeced our GM.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:

Look at soccer.

No thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am 

Nas wrote:
Clearly DRE isn't an issue.

Motherfuckers act like they forgot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 am 

As Frank pointed out look at soccer and also hockey and to a lesser extent baseball and basketball. Maybe it will be decided that schools and tax payer money should not subsidize sports where head injuries potentially lead to this.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 am 

pittmike wrote:
As Frank pointed out look at soccer and also hockey and to a lesser extent baseball and basketball. Maybe it will be decided that schools and tax payer money should not subsidize sports where head injuries potentially lead to this.
You really don't. Soccer has to ban headers for under 18 year olds. Youth hockey is almost all no-check but if there are any youth leagues with checking those probably have to go. Baseball and basketball don't have anywhere close to the same amount of head contact.

Football is a completely different type of sport. Leave it to adults.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:21 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
You really don't. Soccer has to ban headers for under 18 year olds. Youth hockey is almost all no-check but if there are any youth leagues with checking those probably have to go. Baseball and basketball don't have anywhere close to the same amount of head contact.

I should say tackle football. Have high school be 7 on 7 until their senior year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
pittmike wrote:

Complete waste of time. Chances are they'd find evidence of CTE at first but then downgrade it to a migraine after the ref walks by.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yes football is different but all those sports contain risk for severe head injury. Even if that is a different or lower risk. What is your acceptable level of head injury and percentage of athletes to have them?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ban football. Bring back high school boxing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I should say tackle football. Have high school be 7 on 7 until their senior year.

I get what you are saying. You do know that there is nothing for a lineman or running back to do in a 7 on 7 though right?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

I can promise you John Lynch has it and he fleeced our GM.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
was the 1 guy not having CTE of the 111 tested a kicker? did they check his foot for CTE?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 am 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yes football is different but all those sports contain risk for severe head injury. Even if that is a different or lower risk. What is your acceptable level of head injury and percentage of athletes to have them?
It isn't really about comparing football to other sports. Football is a completely different kind of game and there is no real way to take the constant head hits out of it.

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I get what you are saying. You do know that there is nothing for a lineman or running back to do in a 7 on 7 though right?
That's ok. They will catch up.