It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Some people believe that being against shitty cops is the same as hating white people. Some are very sensitive to these perceived slights. That's why he will be booed in every stadium and why he probably won't play in the league again. He would have been better off being a thug. That says a lot about us as a country.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
badrogue17 wrote:
Charlie Batch?

Yeah he was a backup here about a thousand years.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:14 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Ryan Fitzpatrick has more career starts than every black quarterback outside of Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, and Steve McNair. So yes, one only needs to be as good as one of those guys to have a long career in the league akin to Fitzpatrick's.
Ryan Fitzpatrick has won virtually every QB battle he has ever been in though. He has had a unique career that almost white quarterbacks won't ever have either. It's a bad comparison.

That gets missed a little in this discussion.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:19 pm 

Nas wrote:
Some people believe that being against shitty cops is the same as hating white people. Some are very sensitive to these perceived slights. That's why he will be booed in every stadium and why he probably won't play in the league again. He would have been better off being a thug. That says a lot about us as a country.

I think that is not entirely correct in this case. As you can see here on the board many white people are not fans of cops and their actions. What makes this different IMHO is Kap chose a lightning rod of the anthem/flag. That strikes people much more differently and at a higher level emotionally then simply a hands up BLM protest. That doesn't mean Kap is wrong for choosing his method. It means the stakes were higher for teams seemingly and they chose not to deal with it.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Ryan Fitzpatrick has more career starts than every black quarterback outside of Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, and Steve McNair. So yes, one only needs to be as good as one of those guys to have a long career in the league akin to Fitzpatrick's.
Ryan Fitzpatrick has won virtually every QB battle he has ever been in though. He has had a unique career that almost white quarterbacks won't ever have either. It's a bad comparison.

I don't see how it's a bad comparison at all. Fitzpatrick continuing to win quarterback battles or even being in them in the first place despite what he's demonstrated on the field precisely supports my point about different standards at that position. Even the exceptions like Batch and Campbell won't have been in the league anywhere near as long as McCown when all is said and done. The one study that's been done on this found controlling for all other factors black starting quarterbacks were 2-2.5 more likely to be benched off equivalent performances than white ones.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:

I think that is not entirely correct in this case. As you can see here on the board many white people are not fans of cops and their actions. What makes this different IMHO is Kap chose a lightning rod of the anthem/flag. That strikes people much more differently and at a higher level emotionally then simply a hands up BLM protest. That doesn't mean Kap is wrong for choosing his method. It means the stakes were higher for teams seemingly and they chose not to deal with it.

Your point is fair but I disagree because he did what many have said they would prefer blacks do. In the end it didn't matter because they didn't like how he protested.

Also FF and others disliking bad cops is probably received a little different than me not liking shitty cops.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Fitzpatrick continuing to win quarterback battles or even being in them in the first place despite what he's demonstrated on the field precisely supports my point about different standards at that position. .

When Fitzpatrick signed with the Bills(2009), Trent Edwards was the starter, got hurt and FitzMagic ran away with the job.

When Fitzpatrick signed with the Titans(2013) Jack Locker was the starter, got hurt and Fitzpatrick got the job.

When Fitzpatrick was traded to the Jets 2015, Geno Smith was slated to be the starter, before breaking his jaw.

Only the Texans(2014) outright handed him a job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:26 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I don't see how it's a bad comparison at all. Fitzpatrick continuing to win quarterback battles or even being in them in the first place despite what he's demonstrated on the field precisely supports my point about different standards at that position. Even the exceptions like Batch and Campbell won't have been in the league anywhere near as long as McCown when all is said and done. The one study that's been done on this found controlling for all other factors black starting quarterbacks were 2-2.5 more likely to be benched off equivalent performances than a white quarterback.

Interesting. Link? I grew up in a time where the black qb was rare and stereotypes were rampant. Vince Evans was a rarity. Doug Williams was the first big one I recall personally seeing. Anyway, there are more black qb players now but percentage wise it is down. So it is not surprising to me that there are less black backups than whites at this time.

Could it be a racist conspiracy? Maybe. I would guess ten years from now and so on the percentages rise as more players in general play the position professionally. Either way Kap is not being stopped because he is black. It is because people think he is bad or a political problem.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm 
pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:

It is entirely correct because if Kaep was taking a knee in protest of how Veterans were being treated teams would be tripping over themselves to sign him and would have already sold sponsorship of the camera they would have fixed on him during the anthem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm 

You guys probably don't know this because it's never mentioned, but Fitzpatrick went to Harvard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
You guys probably don't know this because it's never mentioned, but Fitzpatrick went to Harvard

He definitely has the intellectual capacity to stay in the league that maybe others don't have.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

He definitely has the intellectual capacity to stay in the league that maybe others don't have.

Irish work ethic too

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:

I knew it and this probably keeps him employed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:36 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I don't see how it's a bad comparison at all. Fitzpatrick continuing to win quarterback battles or even being in them in the first place despite what he's demonstrated on the field precisely supports my point about different standards at that position. Even the exceptions like Batch and Campbell won't have been in the league anywhere near as long as McCown when all is said and done. The one study that's been done on this found controlling for all other factors black starting quarterbacks were 2-2.5 more likely to be benched off equivalent performances than white ones.
Fitzpatrick is a bad comparison because he has like 3 similar players in NFL history who have been not good enough to be good but not bad enough to be bad and then played for a really long time.

McCown is a better example but it is still another case of selecting a person and then projecting the answer. For every McCown, there are many white quarterbacks who fell out of the league while McCown persisted. Grossman, Orton, Quinn, Krenzel, Hanie, Clausen, Collins, and others and that is ONLY from the Bears.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Baby McNown wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:

It is entirely correct because if Kaep was taking a knee in protest of how Veterans were being treated teams would be tripping over themselves to sign him and would have already sold sponsorship of the camera they would have fixed on him during the anthem.

Sure , it absolutely depends on what you're outspoken about that will determine how it's perceived . I don't think that's breaking news. If Google guy's internal memo were about homeless veterans , he still has a job today too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm 

Nas wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It's only mentioned once per 3 snaps the guy took.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I think a cool PhD study would be to study the intersection of anti-police rhetoric, racial dynamics, and the multi-racial makeup of many police squads. Many times the police conversation in this country is implicitly represented as a black vs white thing, and that may have been the case historically, but nowadays you've got black, hispanic, and asian officers not only doing the policing, but dying or being wounded in anti-police attacks. I don't think that dynamic has been addressed well in this new wave of anti police rhetoric, which continues to be framed as a race thing. IIRC, the guy who assassinated two cops up in NY actually killed two asian officers, for example. And there are many other cases of this going both ways.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:

Sure , it absolutely depends on what you're outspoken about that will determine how it's perceived . I don't think that's breaking news. If Google guy's internal memo were about homeless veterans , he still has a job today too.

I imagine Google wouldn't try to find jobs for people who were in prison for violent crimes, for child abusers, for murderers, rapists, drug dealers, women beaters and gang members. The NFL is saying all those things are okay, but a silent protest is too much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Fitzpatrick is a bad comparison because he has like 3 similar players in NFL history who have been not good enough to be good but not bad enough to be bad and then played for a really long time.

McCown is a better example but it is still another case of selecting a person and then projecting the answer. For every McCown, there are many white quarterbacks who fell out of the league while McCown persisted. Grossman, Orton, Quinn, Krenzel, Hanie, Clausen, Collins, and others and that is ONLY from the Bears.

Fitzpatrick still fits because a random black quarterback would in fact have been judged bad enough ages ago and likely wouldn't have gotten the number of "steady hand" backup positions he's enjoyed nor the leeway he's had in being judged when he gets the starting job. I brought up Fitzpatrick and McCown as examples; listing other white quarterbacks that have fallen out of the league isn't especially responsive to the point I'm making with them (though I'd note Grossman and Orton played the same number of seasons as Campbell yet get cited as guys "falling" out of the league). As I noted, the one peer-reviewed study on this found race to be a significant effect in terms of predicted probability that a starter loses his job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
I think a cool PhD study would be to study the intersection of anti-police rhetoric, racial dynamics, and the multi-racial makeup of many police squads. Many times the police conversation in this country is implicitly represented as a black vs white thing, and that may have been the case historically, but nowadays you've got black, hispanic, and asian officers not only doing the policing, but dying or being wounded in anti-police attacks. I don't think that dynamic has been addressed well in this new wave of anti police rhetoric, which continues to be framed as a race thing. IIRC, the guy who assassinated two cops up in NY actually killed two asian officers, for example. And there are many other cases of this going both ways.

I think it has. I've known since I was a child that good and bad cops don't have a color and most of the discussions here kinda proves that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:58 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Fitzpatrick still fits because a random black quarterback would in fact have been judged bad enough ages ago and likely wouldn't have gotten the number of "steady hand" backup positions he's enjoyed nor the leeway he's had in being judged when he gets the starting job. I brought up Fitzpatrick and McCown as examples; listing other white quarterbacks that have fallen out of the league isn't especially responsive to the point I'm making with them (though I'd note Grossman and Orton played the same number of seasons as Campbell yet get cited as guys "falling" out of the league). As I noted, the one peer-reviewed study on this found race to be a significant effect in terms of predicted probability that a starter loses his job.
Fitzpatrick "fits" but there are countless examples of guys who didn't get the same chances regardless of race. Just own the fact that you cherry picked a guy who is an anomaly to try and make a larger point. Go ahead and name the guys who had careers like Fitzpatrick. It's such a small list that you can't draw conclusions about any of it.

It's interesting you mention the seasons of Orton and Grossman. They also didn't get as many chances as Fitzpatrick and had their careers end earlier. I didn't mean that they fell out of the league. It's simply showing you that the incredibly strange career of Fitzpatrick isn't really good for making any larger point about quarterbacking at large any more than Tom Brady being a 6th round pick is. Some things that happen in sports are virtually unprecedented.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:

And peculiarly, guys like Jason Garrett or Gary Kubiak and June Jones all found long careers as unspectacular backups, and when those gigs were up, all found soft landing spots as NFL head coaches. Or in the studios like Hasselbach, Salisbury or Trent Dilfer. But, I'm not sayin'... :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Fitzpatrick "fits" but there are countless examples of guys who didn't get the same chances regardless of race. Just own the fact that you cherry picked a guy who is an anomaly to try and make a larger point. Go ahead and name the guys who had careers like Fitzpatrick. It's such a small list that you can't draw conclusions about any of it.

It's interesting you mention the seasons of Orton and Grossman. They also didn't get as many chances as Fitzpatrick and had their careers end earlier. I didn't mean that they fell out of the league. It's simply showing you that the incredibly strange career of Fitzpatrick isn't really good for making any larger point about quarterbacking at large any more than Tom Brady being a 6th round pick is. Some things that happen in sports are virtually unprecedented.

The point is simply that no one black would ever get the chances Fitzpatrick has gotten, not that all white quarterbacks are guaranteed the same chances as him. You appear to want to read me as implying the latter because that's an easier case to refute but I've never made any such claim. You keep insisting the number of games he's started is simply some out of this world anomaly, but his continuing to receive backup positions and his then remaining the starter when he does his usual mediocre thing in that position cannot be completely separated from his race.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:15 pm 

Nas wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I feel like being Ivy league educated hurts an NFL player. They want robots.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

Last edited by conns7901 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:17 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
The point is simply that no one black would ever get the chances Fitzpatrick has gotten
How can you say that though? Who is a good example of a guy who should have gotten the chances that Fitzpatrick got? Let's use a guy like Bryon Leftwich. He got 5 chances(2 with the same team). Ryan Fitzpatrick has gotten 6 chances, though with Fitzpatrick he spent his first two chances just trying to prove he was an NFL quarterback with barely any playing time until the last season with his second team. Fitzpatrick also has 3 seasons better than anything Leftwich ever did, with another two seasons that would be comparable to Leftwich's career years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:23 pm 

Nas wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:

I imagine Google wouldn't try to find jobs for people who were in prison for violent crimes, for child abusers, for murderers, rapists, drug dealers, women beaters and gang members. The NFL is saying all those things are okay, but a silent protest is too much.

I think the NFL also does not care about the silent protest. They do care apparently about the way their customers and advertisers view the anthem/flag aspect of it. It is a paradox from a perspective standpoint. Kap chose the perfect way to get the most attention to his cause. He also chose the perfect way to make himself a liability. Martyr for his cause.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
Nas wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I feel like being Ivy league educated hurts an NFL player. They want robots.

Not a QB. If he were anything else he would be out of the league.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

The point is simply that no one black would ever get the chances Fitzpatrick has gotten, not that all white quarterbacks are guaranteed the same chances as him. You appear to want to read me as implying the latter because that's an easier case to refute but I've never made any such claim. You keep insisting the number of games he's started is simply some out of this world anomaly, but his continuing to receive backup positions and his then remaining the starter when he does his usual mediocre thing in that position cannot be completely separated from his race.

Vick bounced around plenty toward the end getting chances to be a backup. He was last seen holding a clip board here in Pittsburgh a couple years ago. There is one example to offset Fitzpatrick. Can we move on?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:

I think the NFL also does not care about the silent protest. They do care apparently about the way their customers and advertisers view the anthem/flag aspect of it. It is a paradox from a perspective standpoint. Kap chose the perfect way to get the most attention to his cause. He also chose the perfect way to make himself a liability. Martyr for his cause.

I understand it but it's still odd. "We want criminals, but have no use for silent protestors."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:32 pm 

Seneca Wallace had a nice run as a backup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next