It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
HawaiiYou wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Your entire post couldn't have been more inaccurate even if you tried.

Your point: it's possible to design a helmet that severely reduces concussions, but the NFL won't spend the money on it.

The reality: it's impossible to design a helmet that severely reduces concussions, but the NFL has spent millions trying.

Just stop.

Why can't someone design a helmet or pads or something. Have they really researched it? How do we know? The players in the NFL are just pieces of meat for the league. I don't think management would like to help it's employees in this situation. They don't really seem to care the last 20 years or so until the media made the NFL look bad.

I'm not defending the NFL on virtue. Of course they are a selfish, profit-driven conglomerate devoid of ethics. But that's precisely why they have spent millions of dollars on the concussion issue. It's literally the only thing that can knock them off their place as a leader in the sports market. They want that to go away. They have spent a shitload of money trying to mitigate concussion risk, but it's impossible given the nature of the sport. There is literally no way to significantly reduce concussions in football without fundamentally altering what football is. Saying the NFL doesn't care about the issue is a statement outdated by at least 10 years, if not more.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 am 

HawaiiYou putting on a clinic in this thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

A clinic on terrible thoughts that try to rival Dignified Rube.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:01 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
NFL sucks these days. All they need to kill it off is a work stoppage like baseball in 94.

You can't tell me with all the technology we have today that they can't make a helmet that can absorb a lot of the hits? I'm sure they have something out there but I doubt the NFL cares to spend any time or money researching it.

Terrible post.

http://www.businessinsider.com/carson-w ... ons-2017-5

ya in 2017. how about the last 5 - 10 years?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... conference

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2073 ... -nhl-safer

http://fortune.com/2015/12/31/nfl-concu ... echnology/

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
He is man ahead of his time. "All this technology" he thinks we have that we can simply get rid of head injuries, hurricanes, tornadoes, republicans, and clouds.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:05 am 

The NFL should just talk to all the car companies that made it impossible to get a concussion in an accident even though you are surrounded by more than 3,000 pounds of car and tons of safety features.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:14 am 

The problem here is the idea that football has to be "safe" to exist. There are a ton of dangerous jobs out there with much higher rates of serious injury and death. I mean, how can you logically tell someone they can enter a warzone for $30k a year but they can't play NFL football for 10 to 1000x that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The problem here is the idea that football has to be "safe" to exist. There are a ton of dangerous jobs out there with much higher rates of serious injury and death. I mean, how can you logically tell someone they can enter a warzone for $30k a year but they can't play NFL football for 10 to 1000x that?

There is no little league army or coal mining.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:lol:

Cmon. We're possibly the two biggest football apologists here but that's not the issue. Nobody is talking about banning professional football except the extra crazy folks. The issue is how restriction at the under 18 level will impact the major league level.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:21 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:21 am 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I knew that when I typed it, but ya know it's not the same.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:24 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This thread is about the demise of the NFL. We are able to mine coal and have an army without that either.

Youth tackle football is done. It's just a question of how quickly it happens and what the alternative is to prepare for adult football.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:24 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Cmon. We're possibly the two biggest football apologists here but that's not the issue. Nobody is talking about banning professional football except the extra crazy folks. The issue is how restriction at the under 18 level will impact the major league level.
This article is about the demise of the NFL. I assume no one is dumb enough to think that the NFL is just going to give up and stop the league.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This thread is about the demise of the NFL. We are able to mine coal and have an army without that either.

Youth tackle football is done. It's just a question of how quickly it happens and what the alternative is to prepare for adult football.

Im trying to agree with you, asshole.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
FavreFan wrote:

Your point: it's possible to design a helmet that severely reduces concussions, but the NFL won't spend the money on it.

The reality: it's impossible to design a helmet that severely reduces concussions, but the NFL has spent millions trying.

Just stop.

It's literally not impossible. Just because the NFL and other companies haven't found a design or a way that is cost effective doesn't mean itbis impossible.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 am 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Just stop.

It's literally not impossible. Just because the NFL and other companies haven't found a design or a way that is cost effective doesn't mean itbis impossible.

You might be right. I don't know. The articles I've read over the last few years say it's impossible. They might be wrong though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This article is about the demise of the NFL. I assume no one is dumb enough to think that the NFL is just going to give up and stop the league.

The logic is this: banning youth football = less skilled pro players = worse product = eventually a significant enough reduction in audience that it becomes a niche sport or fades away altogether.

I think the above logic is silly and misguided, but that's the discussion. Nobody is talking about banning and/or the NFL voluntarily folding.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:35 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Just because you agree with me doesn't mean I can't argue with you about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:36 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Just because you agree with me doesn't mean I can't argue with you about it.

Stop blatantly trying to get quotes in the "Quotes that sum up the CFMB" thread

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 am 

FavreFan wrote:
The logic is this: banning youth football = less skilled pro players = worse product = eventually a significant enough reduction in audience that it becomes a niche sport or fades away altogether.

I think the above logic is silly and misguided, but that's the discussion. Nobody is talking about banning and/or the NFL voluntarily folding.
I guess I read the article differently. It was more about how football is being viewed as too cruel to enjoy or exist. There was something about how he would rather watch prize fighting because it is more honest about the danger.

I see where you are coming from though. Football probably won't be the #1 sport forever but that was true regardless of this. I know I'm not watching lacrosse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
A big obstacle to lacrosse's popularity is that scoring is a weird middle ground. It's not a major event like baseball, hockey, or football, nor is it the mundane successful completion of a play like basketball. The final scores are like 21-18 and there aren't multiple point values.

Another big obstacle is that it's played by assholes of the Northeast and South Atlantic and no one outside of upstate New York or Ontario cared about it until like 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:48 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I guess I read the article differently. It was more about how football is being viewed as too cruel to enjoy or exist. There was something about how he would rather watch prize fighting because it is more honest about the danger.

I see where you are coming from though. Football probably won't be the #1 sport forever but that was true regardless of this. I know I'm not watching lacrosse.

I didn't read the article. :lol:

I was just talking in general about all the "NFL is gonna die out soon" arguments. I don't usually hear talk about banning it at the professional level except by ultra crazy people.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They start at 18, just like Rick's Football Plan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I didn't read the article. :lol:

I was just talking in general about all the "NFL is gonna die out soon" arguments. I don't usually hear talk about banning it at the professional level except by ultra crazy people.
Agreed.

Though, pittmike and conns seem to think that 12 year olds doing 7 on 7 will make the NFL nearly impossible to operate but they didn't really say anything besides "Wrong" which was a strong argument.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Football is the place to be. My son is only in 3rd grade, but in addition to a 7 on 7 tackle team for 3rd and 4th graders, they are also using him for JV(5 and 6 graders) because they need depth. He's pretty big for his age(99% for height) and he's holding his own. He's getting a ton of valuable playing time however.

Good luck making some of these other sport teams now with everyone flocking away from football. My neighbors son is a freshman, known him since 2nd grade. He was on all the great travel baseball teams in the area, we all thought he was good..but come time for high school tryouts, couldn't even come close to making the roster. Football still takes all willing and able players.

All coaches for my sons team are "heads up" certified. Not one concussion yet so far this year(knock on wood). If football "dies" it will only be because of our "beta society" that believes whatever they read on the internet and doesn't investigate facts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 am 

It'll hurt the NFL slightly but I just can't see the argument for it hurting the NFL permanently. If anything, I can see the NFL becoming a bit more like college football in terms of diversifying play calling due to more parity among skill positions, which wouldn't really be anything close to killing the league and many would say it has a chance to improve it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:03 am 

I'll also add they are taking this shit VERY serious on the youth levels. If a kid is even suspected of a concussion, he's done for the game. Full stop. Then you have to take him to your primary care doctor for a full evaluation and get release note. Then they have to pass a series of tests(aka concussion protocol with the team trainer) before they can even resume practice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:05 am 

Didn't know Bob was a football guy. That's good to know. Makes like 5 of us left here now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 am 

Injuries can happen in early every sport. I saw a kid get beaned in a little league baseball game(neck) and it was horrific, worse than anything I've seen in youth football.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next