It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Never really thought of youth football as part of the fabric of Chicagoland, anyway. Let other places be football factories and we can devote our attention to baseball and basketball (and hockey where applicable, though US high school hockey is a dead end outside Minnesota).

Caller Bob wrote:
Injuries can happen in nearly every sport.

Does persistent sub-concussive head trauma happen in nearly every sport?

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Caller Bob wrote:
I'll also add they are taking this shit VERY serious on the youth levels. If a kid is even suspected of a concussion, he's done for the game. Full stop. Then you have to take him to your primary care doctor for a full evaluation and get release note. Then they have to pass a series of tests(aka concussion protocol with the team trainer) before they can even resume practice.

It's funny(or I guess maybe not, depending on your humor) looking back on my peewee days. When I was in the 10/11 age group or around there, they used to line us up in two lines facing eachother and the only drill was to basically smash our helmets into eachother as hard as possible when the whistle blew. Still not quite sure the purpose of it but it may explain some of my posting.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Curious Hair wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Injuries can happen in nearly every sport.

Does persistent sub-concussive head trauma happen in nearly every sport?

Hate to break it to you..but Ice Hockey ain't far behind football.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:13 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
I'll also add they are taking this shit VERY serious on the youth levels. If a kid is even suspected of a concussion, he's done for the game. Full stop. Then you have to take him to your primary care doctor for a full evaluation and get release note. Then they have to pass a series of tests(aka concussion protocol with the team trainer) before they can even resume practice.

It's funny(or I guess maybe not, depending on your humor) looking back on my peewee days. When I was in the 10/11 age group or around there, they used to line us up in two lines facing eachother and the only drill was to basically smash our helmets into eachother as hard as possible when the whistle blew. Still not quite sure the purpose of it but it may explain some of my posting.

I only played JV in HS. I was terrible. I only got to play because I actually learned the plays. I got hit in the head a lot..believe it or not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 am 

Also, I'm not forcing my son to play football, he loves it. He plays baseball too, but he just doesn't have the great hand/eye coordination for baseball. It's just really, really, hard to make high school or elite travel teams these days. Everybody is playing that and not football.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:18 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
FavreFan wrote:
Didn't know Bob was a football guy. That's good to know. Makes like 5 of us left here now.

Football is life. Baseball is my first love but I rarely watch games that don't involve the Cubs or Sox during the regular season. When it comes to the NFL I would watch the Browns and Jaguars.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:22 am 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Didn't know Bob was a football guy. That's good to know. Makes like 5 of us left here now.

Football is life. Baseball is my first love but I rarely watch games that don't involve the Cubs or Sox during the regular season. When it comes to the NFL I would watch the Browns and Jaguars.

If football dies at the high school level it will be devastating. The logistics alone allow most high schools to take all players which is awesome. No they might not start, but just the concept of "being on a team" is uplifting to these kids. What happens when you take this away?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 am 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Man, I would fuckin love a Browns/Jags game right now. Kickoff tonight seems like it's still months away.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am 

Most of the brains being saved will grow up to not be worth much anyway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 am 

We also could steal from baseball and start importing players who are actually good rather than relying on the Schwarber-types.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Caller Bob wrote:
[ What happens when you take this away?

uh, you do something else like 90% of the student body?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:

There are a lot of educated football players.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
We also could steal from baseball and start importing players who are actually good rather than relying on the Schwarber-types.

For whatever reason hispanic folks don't take well to football. They're either running into their teammates's asses and fumbling or murdering multiple people and not being allowed to play anymore.

To rock my soul

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
The logic is this: banning youth football = less skilled pro players = worse product = eventually a significant enough reduction in audience that it becomes a niche sport or fades away altogether.

I think the above logic is silly and misguided, but that's the discussion. Nobody is talking about banning and/or the NFL voluntarily folding.
I guess I read the article differently. It was more about how football is being viewed as too cruel to enjoy or exist. There was something about how he would rather watch prize fighting because it is more honest about the danger.

I see where you are coming from though. Football probably won't be the #1 sport forever but that was true regardless of this. I know I'm not watching lacrosse.

I didn't read the article. :lol:

I was just talking in general about all the "NFL is gonna die out soon" arguments. I don't usually hear talk about banning it at the professional level except by ultra crazy people.
Agreed.

Though, pittmike and conns seem to think that 12 year olds doing 7 on 7 will make the NFL nearly impossible to operate but they didn't really say anything besides "Wrong" which was a strong argument.

I didn't have much more time than that but here goes. I have watched my son play 7 on 7 the last four years in the HS program that exists when "football" is not officially happening. There is literally nothing for linemen, running backs, tight ends and linebackers (as it pertains for the run defense) to learn or even do. You are only gaining advantages for QB, WR and defensive back play for the most part.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
[ What happens when you take this away?

uh, you do something else like 90% of the student body?

Like drugs?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

Here too. For soccer as well.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:31 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

:lol:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

For whatever reason hispanic folks don't take well to football. They're either running into their teammates's asses and fumbling or murdering multiple people and not being allowed to play anymore.

Tell that to this hero!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/167 ... villanueva

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 am 

pittmike wrote:
I didn't have much more time than that but here goes. I have watched my son play 7 on 7 the last four years in the HS program that exists when "football" is not officially happening. There is literally nothing for linemen, running backs, tight ends and linebackers (as it pertains for the run defense) to learn or even do. You are only gaining advantages for QB, WR and defensive back play for the most part.
It hurts lineman and running backs no doubt. Luckily, those are two of the easier positions to catch up on and they would have 3-6 years before they got to the NFL to learn. Linebackers will be fine. They may not be as big and the style of both offense and defense would be effected but they can still play. I wouldn't be worried about tight ends at all. There are NFL tight ends that didn't even play college football including some hall of fame players.

The thing to keep in mind is that we aren't going from 7 on 7 to the NFL. You let them play either as seniors in high school or once they turn 18. You then let them play in college. If it's really a problem, then you have an NFL "rookie league" to give them another year to prepare.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 am 

pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Tell that to this hero!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/167 ... villanueva

Some, I assume, are good people.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 am 

Senor Columnist wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:43 am 

As far as helmets go there seems to be some accepted opinion that it cannot help with the concussion problem. I think that is not entirely true. There are likely ways to lessen the impact of major hits and perhaps prevent the impact of lesser hits.

Think about it from a physics angle. Concussion happens when your brain slides in the cranium up against the inside of the skull causing trauma. If you run at a given speed and smash your forehead into a wall there is a calculable impact which in turn sets the brain in motion at some rate. Using a standard helmet and doing the same you have very little "give" in the helmet to change the equation much.

Now if you have some new technology in the helmet that provides some element of reducing the rate at which the head hits the wall (a cushioning effect) that should in turn lessen the impact of brain against skull. In some cases the brain may not hit the skull at all. Another thought is a shattering like helmet which dissipates energy of impact.

None of that changes the fact that people should not hit head to head or any other factors but in theory helmet improvement for this case should not be impossible.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:45 am 

pittmike wrote:
As far as helmets go there seems to be some accepted opinion that it cannot help with the concussion problem. I think that is not entirely true. There are likely ways to lessen the impact of major hits and perhaps prevent the impact of lesser hits.

Think about it from a physics angle. Concussion happens when your brain slides in the cranium up against the inside of the skull causing trauma. If you run at a given speed and smash your forehead into a wall there is a calculable impact which in turn sets the brain in motion at some rate. Using a standard helmet and doing the same you have very little "give" in the helmet to change the equation much.

Now if you have some new technology in the helmet that provides some element of reducing the rate at which the head hits the wall (a cushioning effect) that should in turn lessen the impact of brain against skull. In some cases the brain may not hit the skull at all. Another thought is a shattering like helmet which dissipates energy of impact.

None of that changes the fact that people should not hit head to head or any other factors but in theory helmet improvement for this case should not be impossible.
The problem is that the only way to do it would be to basically have the helmet crumple like a car.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:46 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
It hurts lineman and running backs no doubt. Luckily, those are two of the easier positions to catch up on and they would have 3-6 years before they got to the NFL to learn. Linebackers will be fine. They may not be as big and the style of both offense and defense would be effected but they can still play. I wouldn't be worried about tight ends at all. There are NFL tight ends that didn't even play college football including some hall of fame players.

The thing to keep in mind is that we aren't going from 7 on 7 to the NFL. You let them play either as seniors in high school or once they turn 18. You then let them play in college. If it's really a problem, then you have an NFL "rookie league" to give them another year to prepare.

College gets impacted more than NFL btw. Not my job to worry about them but how the hell would they even rate potential kids at non 7 on 7 useful positions? You would not have enough kids in most schools to do 18 and over only HS football.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:46 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The problem is that the only way to do it would be to basically have the helmet crumple like a car.

ok.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am 

Many programs are having the parents buy the helmets. The thought is that will shift the "liability" a bit off the program and to the parent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:52 am 

pittmike wrote:
College gets impacted more than NFL btw. Not my job to worry about them but how the hell would they even rate potential kids at non 7 on 7 useful positions? You would not have enough kids in most schools to do 18 and over only HS football.
Colleges get impacted but it also isn't that hard to figure out who is good enough with a year of game tape and the ability to have a combine system.

When the alternative is "It's immoral and expensive to have 13 year olds play tackle football so we can't find 18 year olds who can play the lines so let's just cancel it all and play lacrosse" they will find a way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:01 am 

baseball doesn't have cheerleaders...except for the tribune and cubs broadcast booth

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next