It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can the NFL survive?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Dignified Rube wrote:
DAC wrote:
The NHL doesn't have the number of prima donnas compared to other sports which is what I think Rube is talking about.

Thank you. They just play hockey hard, which is all we ask of them. No sideshows.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm 

Can the country survive? We appear to exist not only on false narratives, but a need to then politicize them to hyper levels. Has Kaepernick ever even started an argument using facts as a basis? Didn't it start about unarmed black people dying at the hands of police despite the numbers, through this point in 2017, totally going against his narrative? Of the 700+ people shot by police this year, that includes far more white people, and only 9 unarmed black people.

Unless we get back to a facts over feelings way of dealing with things, we are fucked. And our 'cherished institutions' will follow - especially when based on ad dollars.

If Ruby Bridges is going to take to take on the role of being a voice for race in this country, then she should be required to explain what she means about Donald Trump taking us back 60 years. The media should not just look for a simplistic soundbite to run with, but ask her what the fuck she means. Specifics. I dont like Donald Trump but he has not done that. We have done that in response to him. And it is all based on false narratives.

The inability of the media in this country to do its job in being the arbiters of the popular narratives, by using facts to either support or dismantle an argument, appears to be totally gone. That's some scary shit.

The issues these people are misidentifying are those of class, and not race. There are no white people holding black people down and forcing them to have children and then forcing the father out of the home, dooming the black community to a cycle of poverty that goes unchecked because it would require brutal honesty across multiple generations to deal with. Democrats need your votes, so here comes the smokescreen, and the unfulfilled promises.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
mrgoodkat wrote:
Can the country survive? We appear to exist not only on false narratives, but a need to then politicize them to hyper levels. Has Kaepernick ever even started an argument using facts as a basis? Didn't it start about unarmed black people dying at the hands of police despite the numbers, through this point in 2017, totally going against his narrative? Of the 700+ people shot by police this year, that includes far more white people, and only 9 unarmed black people.

Unless we get back to a facts over feelings way of dealing with things, we are fucked. And our 'cherished institutions' will follow - especially when based on ad dollars.

If Ruby Bridges is going to take to take on the role of being a voice for race in this country, then she should be required to explain what she means about Donald Trump taking us back 60 years. The media should not just look for a simplistic soundbite to run with, but ask her what the fuck she means. Specifics. I dont like Donald Trump but he has not done that. We have done that in response to him. And it is all based on false narratives.

The inability of the media in this country to do its job in being the arbiters of the popular narratives, by using facts to either support or dismantle an argument, appears to be totally gone. That's some scary shit.

The issues these people are misidentifying are those of class, and not race. There are no white people holding black people down and forcing them to have children and then forcing the father out of the home, dooming the black community to a cycle of poverty that goes unchecked because it would require brutal honesty across multiple generations to deal with. Democrats need your votes, so here comes the smokescreen, and the unfulfilled promises.

Bravo.

The corporate-run media is totally to blame because of their own political agenda. There is no fair reporting anymore. Instead, it's all editorializing or pure propaganda now under the guise of "fair and balanced" reporting. It all went downhill after Peter Jennings died. I thought he was a straight shooter in reporting the news, even though he was Canadian. You can't say that about Dan Rather or Brokaw.

I used to watch the PBS news hour with Jim Lehrer, because I saw him as unbiased, but he, too, is now gone (from the show). I thought Gwen Iffil was good as well. But PBS then soiled itself with the Brooks and Shields segment. You always knew who they were in the tank for.

We only could be saved if we had a President who was a uniter, and not a divider. There hasn't been one of these arguably since Reagan. Before him, Kennedy and Ike were, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Redacted.