It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Kind of inspired by some Twitter debates I saw about McNabb vs Eli and Romo. I don't think I'd necessarily put any of those 3 in, but I think McNabb has a far better case than Eli and Romo. No one would even consider Eli or Romo if not for where they played IMO.

Of active quarterbacks, I think Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Ben are the only ones I'd put in. Aside from those guys and I guess Eli due to the dumb rangz argument, Rivers probably has the next best case I suppose cause of stats. But those stats have become less and less impressive as the pass has been emphasized more and more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 pm 

Brady, Brees, and Ben are some of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. The bar is too high in your list. Rodgers, Stafford, and Ryan should all make it barring an injury too. Rivers and Eli too as long as they don't quit playing football soon.

It really was the golden age of quarterbacks we saw.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
McNabb- :lol: :lol: :lol:
Romo- :lol:
Eli- :lol:

The other 4 are all in though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz and Cam Newton.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:51 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

McNabb is the better than Romo. Your smilie ratio is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Hussra wrote:

Newton is turning into Dante Culpepper.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:55 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

McNabb is the better than Romo. Your smilie ratio is wrong.

After seeing what Andy Reid did to Alex Smith, and the shitty Redskins version of McNabb... I place more credit on Reid's offense than McNabb.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:58 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Newton is turning into Dante Culpepper.

Yeah, Newton hasn't been consistently the same guy since that opening game against Denver last season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Josh McCown

But seriously, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, maybe a few others like Matt Ryan and Rivers when it's all said and done.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:03 pm 

It also depends if there is an artificial limit to the number of quarterbacks from an era.

Tier 1:
Brady
Manning(not active but part of it)
Brees
Big Ben

Tier 2:
Rodgers
Eli
Rivers

Tier 3:
Stafford
Ryan

I could see the cutoff happen anywhere from part of tier 2 down to below tier 3. That is a lot of quarterbacks to put in the HOF though if you let them all in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Eli beat Brady in 2 SB. That should get him in

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:06 pm 

Haven't people figured out by now that Stafford's numbers are padded due to his team falling behind by 2 TD's or more and the other team playing half-the-game in a soft prevent D.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:08 pm 

Sticking Rodgers in the same tier as Eli and Rivers is something only a Bears fan could do. If anything I'd put Brady and Manning above the rest and then stick Brees, Rodgers, and Ben in their own tier.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:09 pm 

These are the only modern guys in right now. 26. I would think you aren't getting more than 4 or 5 of the current class.

Troy Aikman 1989-2000

George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975

Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983

Len Dawson 1957-1975

John Elway 1983-1998

Brett Favre 1991-2010

Dan Fouts 1973-1987

Otto Graham 1946-1955

Bob Griese 1967-1980

Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974

Jim Kelly 1986-1996

Bobby Layne 1948-1962

Dan Marino 1983-1999

Joe Montana 1979-1994

Warren Moon 1984-2000

Joe Namath 1965-1977

Ken Stabler 1970-1984

Bart Starr 1956-1971

Roger Staubach 1969-1979

Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978

Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964

Johnny Unitas 1956-1973

Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960

Kurt Warner 1998-2009

Bob Waterfield 1945-1952

Steve Young 1985-1999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:10 pm 

Rodgers is saddled with a shitty, incompetent head coach.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:11 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Sticking Rodgers in the same tier as Eli and Rivers is something only a Bears fan could do. If anything I'd put Brady and Manning above the rest and then stick Brees, Rodgers, and Ben in their own tier.
If it makes you feel better, I think if he has a good end to his career I think Rodgers can get up to tier 1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
During the Cowboys/49'ers broadcast, I believe Troy said that Joe Montana was the greatest QB ever. I really hope he said one of the greatest ever, but it sounded like greatest ever.

In any case, I looked up Montana's stats, then Marino's, and oh boy, then Payton's. Not even close. Manning is so far above Montana in aggregate stats. Marino was pretty far ahead of Montana's, and I used Marino because of the "era" issue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I think if he has a good end to his career I think Rodgers can get up to tier 1.

I hate the guy so it doesn't make me feel better at all, but even if he never plays again I think he already ranks above Ben and Brees all time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:19 pm 

denisdman wrote:
During the Cowboys/49'ers broadcast, I believe Troy said that Joe Montana was the greatest QB ever. I really hope he said one of the greatest ever, but it sounded like greatest ever.

In any case, I looked up Montana's stats, then Marino's, and oh boy, then Payton's. Not even close. Manning is so far above Montana in aggregate stats. Marino was pretty far ahead of Montana's, and I used Marino because of the "era" issue.

How does the choice of using Marino or Montana account for the era issue if you're still comparing them with Manning?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:21 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
denisdman wrote:

How does the choice of using Marino or Montana account for the era issue if you're still comparing them with Manning?

I am saying Marino is a better comparison for Montana for era purposes. But I did peek at Manning's stats to give me a point of reference. I think we all know Manning's body of work better than the other guys because of the press coverage and ability to watch out of market games in the past decade.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I hate the guy so it doesn't make me feel better at all, but even if he never plays again I think he already ranks above Ben and Brees all time.
I think the stats don't tell the whole story on Ben.

I disagree on Brees. The Rodgers is great argument has always been about his statistics and he doesn't have that over Brees.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:24 pm 

denisdman wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I am saying Marino is a better comparison for Montana for era purposes. But I did peek at Manning's stats to give me a point of reference. I think we all know Manning's body of work better than the other guys because of the press coverage and ability to watch out of market games in the past decade.

Ah I understand now. Yeah I think Montana has always gotten inflated credit just from rings arguments. Unfortunately, it seems like most people who want to criticize him from that angle end up anointing Elway, who has even less of a claim to all-time greatness than Montana himself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 pm 

I'd put Rodgers well ahead of Ben. Brees, I'd have to think about. Drew has had an amazing career. Of those three though, I think Rodgers has the most left in the tank and could add more net stats down the road to even it up with Brees.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:27 pm 

Zeph, yeah sorry I was unclear. I picked Marino because I thought he was Payton before Payton. Simply, Marino was in the wrong era. He truly belonged with the current pass happy offenses. Plus he never had a defense or a running game.

I always felt Montana was way over rated. And I am an ND guy.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I think the stats don't tell the whole story on Ben.

I disagree on Brees. The Rodgers is great argument has always been about his statistics and he doesn't have that over Brees.

I think Ben's the hardest one to evaluate historically. I feel like a number of his peers would have been capable of putting up better numbers with his skill position players, but I'm also not sure whether any of them would be capable of taking the amount of punishment he's had playing behind his lines, especially early in his career.

For Brees/Rodgers, while it's close I think Rodgers' does look better in some statistical categories like the different Y/A measures. And his rushing stats are also an area where he has an edge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm 

denisdman wrote:

You really cant compare numbers across eras. Marino and Montana played a different game.

And Marino ran a different offense. Im not saying Joe is the best ever, but those stats dont really make the case, imo.

According to stats, Elway is mediocre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
That's because Elway was mediocre. I'm glad Terrell Davis was able to win two SB's for him, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:41 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
That's because Elway was mediocre. I'm glad Terrell Davis was able to win two SB's for him, though.

He's definitely over rated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That's probably a better word.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:43 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

He's properly rated. Favre was the poor man's Elway.