It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dave Toub
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:39 pm 

Another year where it appears this guy will not get a shot at being a head coach.

His players rave about him as a leader.

What is it that keeps teams from giving him a shot?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: Dave Toub
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
RFDC wrote:
Another year where it appears this guy will not get a shot at being a head coach.

His players rave about him as a leader.

What is it that keeps teams from giving him a shot?

Must be terrible at interviewing

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
My old platoon sergeant, Sgt Emmert, was the best leader I’ve ever met. Would probably be a poor nfl coach. My guess is Toub is lacking elsewhere.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:54 pm 

Yeah no doubt. Probably a good bet he does not interview well. Just seems crazy in a league where Trestman, Jauron, and Singletary can get opportunities that the guy that so many rave about can't get a shot to prove himself in the position.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Probably failed to send a thank you note after the interview.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Also a stigma I think against ST coordinators... usually teams are wanting to get better on O or D, you don't hear about too many teams that say if we could just improve on ST we'd be Super Bowl bound. The vast majority of ST coordinators who ended up being successful head coaches had to come out of that position for at least a year or two and specialize on O or D.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
newper wrote:
Also a stigma I think against ST coordinators... usually teams are wanting to get better on O or D, you don't hear about too many teams that say if we could just improve on ST we'd be Super Bowl bound. The vast majority of ST coordinators who ended up being successful head coaches had to come out of that position for at least a year or two and specialize on O or D.

Pretty much this. ST coordinator is viewed as an entry level position in the NFL. Hard to shake the stigma.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
newper wrote:

Pretty much this. ST coordinator is viewed as an entry level position in the NFL. Hard to shake the stigma.

I read an interesting article somewhere which said this is kind of backwards thinking because the ST coordinator has to work with the entire team, while the O and D don't. And also if you had a QB coach turned Offensive Coordinator, he isn't necessarily going to make your QB awesome because he has to spend time working with the whole team, not just the QB. And ST is often filled with the tier two type players, and to be able to coach them up says a lot about what you could get done as a HC -- most of your stars shouldn't need a lot of coaching up, but the borderline guys do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
newper wrote:

Exactly. I think he needs to change his approach if he really wants an HC gig and go after an OC or DC position and show he can coach well in one of those spots also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
newper wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
newper wrote:

I read an interesting article somewhere which said this is kind of backwards thinking because the ST coordinator has to work with the entire team, while the O and D don't. And also if you had a QB coach turned Offensive Coordinator, he isn't necessarily going to make your QB awesome because he has to spend time working with the whole team, not just the QB. And ST is often filled with the tier two type players, and to be able to coach them up says a lot about what you could get done as a HC -- most of your stars shouldn't need a lot of coaching up, but the borderline guys do.

It's a fair point. But so is proving you can game plan one side of the ball which makes up a large portion of the games you'll be playing. It's not like there aren't tons of examples of successful HC's in the leagues history that were former OC's and DC's in comparison to ST coaches.

But I don't disagree with the articles logic either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
He lives in Missouri.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I figure he’s gotta be giving unenthusiastic oral during the interviews.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
newper wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
newper wrote:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:20 pm 

I'd blame metrics.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Da Coach and John Harbaugh are the only two that really come to mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
The Bears get chided every year by dopes like Hub and Greg Gabriel for not hiring the Great Dave Toub despite pretty much the entire league passing on this guy as well. Maybe he's just not that good of candidate? Like already mentioned..maybe bad interviews?...can't field a good staff of coordinators?..etc, etc...

Last edited by Caller Bob on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Special Teams coaches just don't get any respect. It's probably the same belief that special teams is sort of a throwaway. Devin Hester should be in the Hall of Fame, but there are almost no kickers, punter or kick returners in the Hall of Fame. The Bears didn't want to pay Hester only as a special teams player and ruined several years of his career.