It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rooney Rule
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
NFL is investigating the Raiders for violating it.

The rule seems like a good idea in theory but not in application. I think the hiring of Gruden was dumb but that was their guy. If Belichick became available and said he wanted to coach the Giants it would be embarrassing for all involved to have to go through the charade of interviewing others before hiring him.

To rock my soul

Post subject: Re: Rooney Rule
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I think it's a bullshit rule that doesn't really help minority coaches. The league is still 70% minority but like 15% of the coaches are. Hire the guy you want to hire. Don't waste folks time.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Isn't one of the very points of the rule though that the amount of teams having "their guy" already in place resulted in a dearth of minority coaches? How often has it been the case that a minority candidates was also seen as the locked-in coach in a comparable manner?

Personally I think it's insufficient and if applied should absolutely be instituted at the coordinator level as well (since one of the very reasons there aren't many qualified minority candidates in the first place is their exclusion further down at the assistant coach level). That being said, everyone knew what the rule was and the Raiders shouldn't get a pass because of their history or some other justification along those lines, as I've heard on ESPN repeatedly today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Isn't one of the very points of the rule though that the amount of teams having "their guy" already in place resulted in a dearth of minority coaches? How often has it been the case that a minority candidates was also seen as the locked-in coach in a comparable manner?

Personally I think it's insufficient and if applied should absolutely be instituted at the coordinator level as well (since one of the very reasons there aren't many qualified minority candidates in the first place is their exclusion further down at the assistant coach level). That being said, everyone knew what the rule was and the Raiders shouldn't get a pass because of their history or some other justification along those lines, as I've heard on ESPN repeatedly today.

Yes. But this rule doesn’t correct that and actively embarrasses minority candidates along the way.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Yes. But this rule doesn’t correct that and actively embarrasses minority candidates along the way.

What do you propose that would correct it? And I don't see how being unable to interview altogether is more desirable than at least getting a foot in the door even if just for the sake of appearances (which Oakland apparently couldn't even be bothered to do here).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

What do you propose that would correct it? And I don't see how being unable to interview altogether is more desirable than at least getting a foot in the door even if just for the sake of appearances (which Oakland apparently couldn't even be bothered to do here).

I think your coordinator idea is good.

I disagree on the sake of appearances point. I’d be enraged at being used as a prop to satisfy a regulation. And the shitty thing is the candidate would still have to show up and go through the motions in order to not burn bridges.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I think your coordinator idea is good.

I disagree on the sake of appearances point. I’d be enraged at being used as a prop to satisfy a regulation. And the shitty thing is the candidate would still have to show up and go through the motions in order to not burn bridges.

You both make good points, let's move on

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 am 

You guys are missing some important points: 1) It is incredibly important to gain experience in interviewing for unique jobs even if the interview ends up being purely informational. It will provide you the tools you need to hit it out of the park when a more legitimate interview arises. 2) An impressive interview may not result in getting hired if a team walks in with its guy in place. However, word gets out to other teams and the interviewer remembers you for the next hire. 3) Simply having your name published as being interviewed provides you some legitimacy across the league, a league that is copycat in its movements.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
You guys are missing some important points: 1) It is incredibly important to gain experience in interviewing for unique jobs even if the interview ends up being purely informational. It will provide you the tools you need to hit it out of the park when a more legitimate interview arises. 2) An impressive interview may not result in getting hired if a team walks in with its guy in place. However, word gets out to other teams and the interviewer remembers you for the next hire. 3) Simply having your name published as being interviewed provides you some legitimacy across the league, a league that is copycat in its movements.

Who are these guys that are being remembered besides Tomlin? I may be wrong but I don't think there are more minority coaches to day than there were 10 years ago. It's all a waste of time. A GM or owner will hire a guy they like or feel comfortable with 9 out of 10 times.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
so we had 2 or 3 before the rooney rule and now we have 7-8 after the rooney rule. thats a good number from a percentage, but i don't believe these are coming as a result of the rooney rule. i believe this coincides more with the fact that dungy created an enormously successful coaching tree that just happens to be full of minorities. Frazier, lovie, herm, tomlin, caldwell. obviously only a few are still in there but i think that jump started it more so than some regulation. as such, since that rule, its stagnated at 7-8.

that said, i think the reality is that in the past , most head coaches never played in the nfl so using how many black players there are in the nfl isn't a good statistic to compare. I think often many coaches are guys who couldn't perform on the field but had the knowledge.

I think the acute complexity of football offenses and defenses has forced players to become much more scheme intelligent to where now they can now coach.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: John's
What about black coaches..coaching better?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 pm 

I read an interview with James Franklin that he has never looked at a resume when hiring a coach. He simply goes by people he either knows or people that are recommended by those he trust. Granted it is college and NFL but I am assuming it is very similar at the professional level.

Quote:
Franklin: Your résumé means nothing. I’ve never looked at a résumé, ever. Your references mean nothing. I’m not calling your references, I’m calling the people that I know. I’m not working with someone 16-to-17 hours a day if I don’t know them or someone that I trust knows them.

http://footballscoop.com/news/resume-me ... eer-forum/

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:24 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
White coaches, as inferior athletes, may have been winnowed out of actual play sooner and thus have less CTE.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Curious Hair wrote:
White coaches, as inferior athletes, may have been winnowed out of actual play sooner and thus have less CTE.

*Mike Singletary drops pants*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:23 pm 

Hopefully theyll just get some men who identify as women.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
They should just hire strippers.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:24 pm 

Meh, they'll just fleece the military to hold more of their phony honors and sell more military themed merchandise.

And charge more for the NFL network.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Well that settles it. I guess they can clear the "End Racism" markings on all the fields now.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:20 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Well that settles it. I guess they can clear the "End Racism" markings on all the fields now.

They can get rid of all the social statements off of the field and stadiums and no one would notice the bullshit empty grandstanding imho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
This is a lazy and horrible rule. It's like saying no team can win by more than 10 points.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:32 pm 

So it doesn’t have to be just an offensive male anymore. Call it the Jon Gruden rule.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:36 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
This is a lazy and horrible rule. It's like saying no team can win by more than 10 points.

It is until you get a few coaches that add real value and develop respected voices in their organizations.

Plus, they can't be worse than half of the patronage hires that gild NFL staffs now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
What about a rule saying all teams must employ at least one Caucasian in their defensive backfield?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
This is worth like 3 Kaepernicks on the faking giving a shit scale.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
On my flight tonight I listened to an interview from a few weeks ago with Mike Florio. He raised the idea that somebody could start a competing fall league to the NFL in the future and institute the rule set from the early 80s lock stock and barrel, player safety be damned. It sounded like it would cost as much as buying a current moderately successful NFL franchise.

Of course, Florio is dog whistling that it would draw the current white 55+ "life was better when every company had a few secretaries and you could grab their ass without getting sued" NASCAR crowd. But he wouldn't say that part out loud.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:09 am 

I wonder how many teams out there don't currently employ at least one minority coach?

Maybe I'm naive but without doing any research I'd say it was zero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
It’s a weird rule, as these coaches will be paid by the league rather than the teams. Seems a bit like a paid internship to get people in front of coaching staffs in the hope they’ll eventually be given jobs on the actual staff.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:03 am 

KDdidit wrote:

I'd rather have one Kaepernick on my Saints as opposed to Andy Dalton with the stink of the Bears, Dallas and old Cincinnati on him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:46 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I'd rather have one Kaepernick on my Saints as opposed to Andy Dalton with the stink of the Bears, Dallas and old Cincinnati on him.

I’d rather have teddy back than either of them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:59 am 

W_Z wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I’d rather have teddy back than either of them.

No doubt. But I'd have rather had Teddy the last two playoffs. Ugh.