It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:56 am 

Brady and Brees similar?

Stop

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
RFDC wrote:
Brady and Brees similar?

Stop

You don’t think they are similar in style? What specifically do you disagree with from that perspective? I’m not comparing them win/loss wise. Stylistically I’d say they’re very similar -not very mobile, pocket passer, great touch, great accuracy but neither has a cannon attached to their shoulder that allows for odd arm angles or throwing across their body..

..great pocket passers. Similar in that way.

So, what about that do you disagree with?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
NME wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Theres a flip side to that coin too. Remember that Brady lost a Super Bowl in which his team never punted. He hasnt always had a great defense.

Its hard to view Brady minus five rings and rank him that way because winning in January is such an indelible part of his career.

I think Brees is a top 10 guy all time. Idk where id specifically rank him, but i dont view him and Brady similarly at all

I’m assuming this was the Eagles SB..? Patriots defense was 5th in points allowed that year, they played a bend but don’t break style of defense, sure, but they were a good defense that year. Also, you’re sort of making my point -it’s a team sport and if you take away the quality of the other sides performance (the defense, that is) Brady doesn’t have as many rings.

It’s just a hypothetical way to remove the real reason I think people view him the way they do -you’re saying no one is close, and I’m saying you feel that way because of the rings, not because of his ability. Again, Brady alone didn’t win all those games. Billy B had some say in it too as did those defenses.

Disagree on the last point too.. to me Brady and Brees are very close in terms of style of play. Didn’t wow you with crazy athletics or cannon arms, but we’re incredibly cerebral, have great accuracy, and throw really nice deep balls with a lot of touch. Both were lead by great HC’s too.. it’s just Brady’s leader happened to be really gifted on the opposite side of the field.

He got the rings because of his ability. I don’t understand trying to disassociate the two

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
NME wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Theres a flip side to that coin too. Remember that Brady lost a Super Bowl in which his team never punted. He hasnt always had a great defense.

Its hard to view Brady minus five rings and rank him that way because winning in January is such an indelible part of his career.

I think Brees is a top 10 guy all time. Idk where id specifically rank him, but i dont view him and Brady similarly at all

I’m assuming this was the Eagles SB..? Patriots defense was 5th in points allowed that year, they played a bend but don’t break style of defense, sure, but they were a good defense that year. Also, you’re sort of making my point -it’s a team sport and if you take away the quality of the other sides performance (the defense, that is) Brady doesn’t have as many rings.

It’s just a hypothetical way to remove the real reason I think people view him the way they do -you’re saying no one is close, and I’m saying you feel that way because of the rings, not because of his ability. Again, Brady alone didn’t win all those games. Billy B had some say in it too as did those defenses.

Disagree on the last point too.. to me Brady and Brees are very close in terms of style of play. Didn’t wow you with crazy athletics or cannon arms, but we’re incredibly cerebral, have great accuracy, and throw really nice deep balls with a lot of touch. Both were lead by great HC’s too.. it’s just Brady’s leader happened to be really gifted on the opposite side of the field.

He got the rings because of his ability. I don’t understand trying to disassociate the two

In baseball terms, and against JORR, I think NME is saying it's not the fault of Manning or Brees or whomever if their defense allowed more points than those QBs scored. In Brady's case, he obviously earned every win, but you also have to acknowledge how the parts of his team that he didn't control also performed well. Maybe Manning or Brees would perform just as capably if they replaced Brady from 2000 -2018. I don't necessarily believe that, just putting it out there.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:42 am 

Of course you don’t believe that. Nobody does.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:47 am 

NME wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brady and Brees similar?

Stop

You don’t think they are similar in style? What specifically do you disagree with from that perspective? I’m not comparing them win/loss wise. Stylistically I’d say they’re very similar -not very mobile, pocket passer, great touch, great accuracy but neither has a cannon attached to their shoulder that allows for odd arm angles or throwing across their body..

Brady has a much stronger arm and was always a smarter player.

And could play outdoors

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:00 pm 

Frankly I've grown so tired of Brady in large part due to his als, and the media constantly calling him the GOAT. Imho (& as he himself has said) he's the biggest beneficiary of the rules changes. Let Marino, Staubach, Moon, Elway or Montana play in today's game and Brady is just another doped up guy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Brady goes to the Super Bowl at a higher rate than Steph Curry makes 3's. Brady was the only constant on those Patriots teams for 2 decades. When he left, they brought in an MVP quarterback and the team still sucked. He went to a team that had missed the playoffs for a long time and sucked enough to pick 6th in the draft. He won them a Super Bowl his first year.

Teams look and play better because of the Brady Effect. That should be clear by now. He's also the guy that you want with the ball if your life were on the line. Even at 45.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:12 pm 

Nas wrote:
Brady goes to the Super Bowl at a higher rate than Steph Curry makes 3's. Brady was the only constant on those Patriots teams for 2 decades. When he left, they brought in an MVP quarterback and the team still sucked. He went to a team that had missed the playoffs for a long time and sucked enough to pick 6th in the draft. He won them a Super Bowl his first year.

Teams look and play better because of the Brady Effect. That should be clear by now. He's also the guy that you want with the ball if your life were on the line. Even at 45.

Bill Belichick’s name is missing here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

I find it odd that Chiefs fans are shitting on the team after 3 straight trips to the AFC Championship and 2 SB appearances. This is why athletes hate fans. They are never happy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

Player. Belichick's teams don't look so great without Brady. That defense doesn't look the same.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
NME wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

To some extent sure, I prefer to look at a ring as a collective tho. He played a role in them winning, but so did other players and coaches. It’s hard for me to give all the credit to one guy for that accomplishment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:19 pm 

Nas wrote:
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

Player. Belichick's teams don't look so great without Brady. That defense doesn't look the same.

Of all the top organized sports, coaching in football might matter the most. Leaving Bills name out of your comment I quoted is a major error in your statement. NE had a bunch of guys sit out last year due to covid, and this year the Pats are starting a rookie QB. I really don’t think I need to dive into all Bills accomplishments as a coordinator and Head Coach to prove his value, or at least -I hope I don’t.

Brady was a huge part of their success, but so was Belichick. And they were both constants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:24 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
NME wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

In baseball terms, and against JORR, I think NME is saying it's not the fault of Manning or Brees or whomever if their defense allowed more points than those QBs scored. In Brady's case, he obviously earned every win, but you also have to acknowledge how the parts of his team that he didn't control also performed well. Maybe Manning or Brees would perform just as capably if they replaced Brady from 2000 -2018. I don't necessarily believe that, just putting it out there.

This part of your post comes closest to what I’m saying specifically. The rest is a little off. I mean, in the reverse I do not blame Brady for not scoring enough to beat the Eagles. It’s more complicated than that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:34 pm 

Nas wrote:
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

Remind us again about the score of the Patriots LA Rams Super Bowl. Brady was along for the ride. Like he was for the first two, not to mention the ones vs. New York.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

NME wrote:
Nas wrote:
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

Of all the top organized sports, coaching in football might matter the most. Leaving Bills name out of your comment I quoted is a major error in your statement. NE had a bunch of guys sit out last year due to covid, and this year the Pats are starting a rookie QB. I really don’t think I need to dive into all Bills accomplishments as a coordinator and Head Coach to prove his value, or at least -I hope I don’t.

Brady was a huge part of their success, but so was Belichick. And they were both constants

Relax! The context of the post would make it clear to anyone that I was referring to players. I didn't exactly need you to remind me that Belichick was a great. I'm aware of that. He hasn't looked as great without Brady, but Brady has managed to look even better without him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:40 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

Remind us again about the score of the Patriots LA Rams Super Bowl. Brady was along for the ride. Like he was for the first two, not to mention the ones vs. New York.

And Bill was along for the ride in the 28-3 comeback

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:

Brady made the winning plays when he had to in EVERY Super Bowl. The ones he lost were when the defense wet the bed with seconds remaining.

Early in Brady's career he made the timely plays when the games were on the line. No doubt Belichick deserves a lot of credit for that. By the Panthers Super Bowl Brady was an equal partner. By Super Bowl 3, he was the man and Belichick was holding him back with mediocre offensive weapons.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:47 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
NME wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brady and Brees similar?

Stop

And could play outdoors

I don’t agree his arm is stronger, both can throw a good deep ball. Brady by design may have more attempts downfield, but eye test/memory wise I’d say they can/do/did make the same throws.

Smarter? Nah, both are as cerebral as it gets before and after the snap. I don’t know what you’re basing this off of but if it’s wins/losses I’ll go ahead and remind you it’s a team sport. They don’t get 100% credit for that. If it’s making the right pass at the right time then I think stats tell that story about as good as it can be told and Brees has stats to back up his side of this argument.

Playing outdoors..? Ok. I’ll concede there. Favre/Rodgers/ and Brady are the best I’ve seen in bad conditions.. so no argument there.

Last edited by NME on Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:47 pm 

NME wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brady and Brees similar?

Stop

Brady is better than Brees at everything you stated. He has a stronger arm. He has better touch. He makes better decisions.

Now with that said I am not taking a shot at Brees, as he is REALLY good. He just is not at Brady's level.

It would be like saying Dwayne Wade and MJ are similar. They play the same position and both had a great career, but Jordan is better at everything involved in the game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:48 pm 

NME wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
NME wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brady and Brees similar?

Stop

And could play outdoors

I don’t agree his arm is stronger, both can throw a good deep ball. Brady by design may have more attempts downfield, but eye test/memory wise I’d say they can/do/did make the same throws.

Smarter? Nah, both are as cerebral as it get before and after the snap. I don’t know what you’re basing this off of but if it’s wins/losses I’ll go ahead and remind you it’s a team sport. They don’t get 100% credit for that. If it’s making the right pass at the right time then I think stats tell that story about as good as it can be told and Brees has stats to back up his side if this argument.

Playing outdoors..? Ok. I’ll concede there. Favre/Rodgers/ and Brady are the best I’ve seen in bad conditions.. so no argument there.

Couldnt disagree more strongly with your first paragraph. I guess thats where our disagreement comes from. Brees’s arm strength was never on par with Brady’s at any point of their careers and that gap widened the last 5 years or so despite Brady being older.

And im basing smarter off the fact that Brady is a better decision maker when throwing and when moving inside the pocket.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:52 pm 

Nas wrote:
I find it odd that Chiefs fans are shitting on the team after 3 straight trips to the AFC Championship and 2 SB appearances. This is why athletes hate fans. They are never happy.

From what I can tell living in Chief land they are shitting on the management and the decisions made on defense and OL.

I saw someone on twitter make a good statement. The Chiefs are like Rocky in Rocky 3. They are training but they are completely distracted by the glitz and glamour of being champ. The Bills, Titans, are like Clubber Lang who are going all out to take out Rocky. It happens when you get good. This will be a good wake up call for them and I expect them to surround Mahomes with a better defense and OL moving forward.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:55 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Nas wrote:

From what I can tell living in Chief land they are shitting on the management and the decisions made on defense and OL.

I saw someone on twitter make a good statement. The Chiefs are like Rocky in Rocky 3. They are training but they are completely distracted by the glitz and glamour of being champ. The Bills, Titans, are like Clubber Lang who are going all out to take out Rocky. It happens when you get good. This will be a good wake up call for them and I expect them to surround Mahomes with a better defense and OL moving forward.

I dont expect them to. This is the team that took CEH over JT or Swift and Hardman over DK Metcalf, and swung and missed big on Orlando Brown and Thunney. Justin Houston has more sacks than Frank Clark since they gave Clark and his uzi that bag and traded picks for him.

The front office has been a disaster the last three years

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
Nas wrote:

The cap changes/pandemic hurt them more than most. I think CEH not taking off and some unusual errors from Mahomes has made the defense look a little worse. They've lived on Mahomes being dominant every game.

As a fan, I still wouldn't shit on the team. I still wouldn't bet against them. As Bears fans, we would allow 11 kids to be molested by the Blackhawks video guy to have the Chiefs success. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:03 pm 

Nas wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Nas wrote:

The cap changes/pandemic hurt them more than most. I think CEH not taking off and some unusual errors from Mahomes has made the defense look a little worse. They've lived on Mahomes being dominant every game.

As a fan, I still wouldn't shit on the team. I still wouldn't bet against them. As Bears fans, we would allow 11 kids to be molested by the Blackhawks video guy to have the Chiefs success. :wink:

It is easy to say that from our perspective as Bear fans and our lack of success and a good QB, but you know Bear fans would be upset too no matter how much success the team had. It is just the nature of being fan. You get spoiled by success and want it every year.

The front office has been a dumpster fire for the last while and if they dont get it corrected they are going to waste the best years of Mahomes career

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:40 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Brady is better than Brees at everything you stated. He has a stronger arm. He has better touch. He makes better decisions.

If your measuring stick for this is wins, losses, rings.. yeah, I get it there isn't an argument. But if we look at the numbers to see how they actually perform at their job stat wise, its closer than you may imagine.

Quote:
Now with that said I am not taking a shot at Brees, as he is REALLY good.

I understand this, and Im not taking it that way. In reverse, I'm not saying Brees is greater thatn Brady -Tom is the GOAT, I'm having fun with the conversation tho. Its interesting to dive into this stuff, its why I even bother to log in and post once in a while on sports forums.

Quote:
It would be like saying Dwayne Wade and MJ are similar. They play the same position and both had a great career, but Jordan is better at everything involved in the game.

Ok, so we're critiquing analogies here, so allow me to point out why yours is really bad in regards to Jordan Vs Wade, and you trying to claim Brady and Brees are similar oceans apart..

Tom Brady has lead the NFL in passing yards 3 times. Brees has lead the NFL in passing yards 7 times.

Brady has lead the NFL in TD passes 4 times. Brees has also lead the league in passing TD's 4 times.

Brady has lead the NFL in passer rating 2 times, Brees has also lead the NFL in passer rating 2 times.

Brady had lead the NFL in completion % 1 time.. Brees has done in 6 times including an NFL record of 74.4% in 2018.

Brees and Brady are also almost identical for career passer rating.. Brady 97.6 and Brees and 98.7. Their yards per attempt are almost identical too with Brady at 7.5 and Brees at 7.6

Now, compare D Wades numbers to MJ's and I really doubt theyll come close or exceed MJ in pretty much any category, where as, Brees Vs Brady not so much. Brees exceeds or equals Brady in many category's respective to their positions. So, its not at all a terrible or far fetched comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Would Brady be considered the GOAT if he’d only won 2 SBs? I think it could be argued that 3 were rather fluky. And the last wasn’t really because of him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:50 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Would Brady be considered the GOAT if he’d only won 2 SBs? I think it could be argued that 3 were rather fluky. And the last wasn’t really because of him.

Hes won 7. The last one he scored 31 points in. If you dont want to give him credit for the one he won 13-3 then give him credit for the one he lost 41-33 and threw for 500 yards 3 TDs and no picks in.

But i agree if he won four less super bowls, which would leave him with a paltry total of three, he would have less of a stranglehold on the title

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Would he be considered the GOAT if he hadn't won any? How many Super Bowls should we take away from Brady to level the playing field? Should we dismiss his play after 39? Should we only focus on the years he didn't go to the Super Bowl? Will we do the same for Joe Montana? Peyton Manning? Any other losers from the past?

Last edited by Nas on Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:05 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Are we allowing for no other changes (statistically specifically).. simply removing the SB wins and leaving him with 2?

If so, he’s still in the conversation for me personally because -as I’ve stated earlier- I don’t attribute rings/titles in a team sport (especially football) with one guy. Tho, I think we do have to acknowledge and establish that in all of organized sport the single most import position is most certainly QB

So yeah, for me, I’m still keeping him in the conversation of GOAT even with titles removed. I mean, I’m willing to consider Rodgers because he’s that impressive at the position. So it’s obviously not just based on titles for me personally.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next