It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 989 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
RAIDERS!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:48 pm 

Six is good.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-linebacker ... nfl-season

6. Las Vegas Raiders

It’s an entirely new look for the Raiders at linebacker, as free agents Cory Littleton and Nick Kwiatkoski are slated to see most of the snaps this season. Littleton is a modern-day linebacker who can match up with running backs and make plays on the ball in zone coverage. His 90.3 coverage grade is fifth-best in the league over the past three years. The question for Littleton is in the run game, where he’s graded at only 48.9 over that three-year span, but that hasn’t hurt his standing as one of the league’s most valuable linebackers.

Kwiatkoski is the opposite of Littleton — he loves to get dirty in the run game and can get after the quarterback as a blitzer, evidenced by his 81.8 pass-rush grade last season. Kwiatkoski is not as dynamic as Littleton in coverage, but he plays his role well and broke up three passes on just 34 targets a year ago. Nicholas Morrow rounds out the depth chart, yet has never graded above 53.5 in his three seasons in the league.

The other name to watch is third-rounder Tanner Muse, who played safety at Clemson. Muse crushed his offseason workouts and could add another athletic option for the Raiders after a solid college career in which he lined up all over the field. The Raiders invested heavily at linebacker this offseason, propelling them from one of the worst to one of the best units in the league.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
If Chucky is half the coach he thinks he is he should find a lot of fun ways to use Lynn Bowden

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:54 pm 

One way is to only carry two QBs.

He will need to cut the cord to Nathan Peterman, though.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Pro Football Focus is garbage but the linebackers are much improved. I didn't know most of their graders are in Bangladesh until Zierlein mentioned it on his show. I knew they were garbage because Cooley would compare his grades with theirs and he was mystified at what they were looking at. They're underrating Morrow...he's going to have a good year. The main problem last year was the confusion after Burfict was suspended. Whitehead is a terrible linebacker and he had a lot of problems getting the defense set. Watching the coaches film it looks like there is confusion on almost every play. That didn't start until Whitehead got the green dot.

I think bringing Marinelli in was a mistake. They wanted his ass out of Dallas and they didn't want Maliek Collins back either. PFF always overrates Dallas players like Collins. The guy in Bangladesh is probably wearing his counterfeit Prescott jersey when he's breaking down their film. I'm worried Gruden is going to let him bring his bums over and let PJ Hall go. Hall will make the the linebackers job a lot easier as he was the one drawing the double teams not Hankins. I think he even had the 2nd highest double team win rate (Donald was 1st). We just didn't have the linebackers to take advantage last year. If Collins is used as a situational 3rd down guy then fine but if he's in there on run downs there will be problems.

Darren Waller is already the best tight end in the league. We haven't seen anything like him at that size and speed before. He was the 8th fastest ballcarrier last season at 6'6" 260. He's also a very good blocker and takes pride in that (he was breaking down Witten blocking technique on twitter). I'm probably most looking forward to what he does this season. He may not have as many targets but he's going to have more big plays. That 75 yard screen play last season was crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:30 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
That 75 yard screen play last season was crazy.

I could watch that again and again. He doesn't even appear to be moving all that fast until you see the yardage markers and how much ground he is covering.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:41 pm 

I’m a big Waller fan, had posts about him last August and September praising him before he came close to breaking out. That said he’s not a better tight end than George Kittle, that’s just outrageous homerism :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Its a bold claim I will admit but Darren Waller is the next evolutionary step IMO. We haven't seen this before at that size. Watch this play and tell me Kittle or Kelce even makes it 20 yards downfield.

https://youtu.be/f3W9_T8xo2c

Actually it was a well designed play and the blocking was pretty good so maybe they do make it 20 yards...

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top- ... l-carriers

This is what separates him from those guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:59 pm 

I remember that play. They both likely make it 20+ yards downfield. Not sure about 75 but maybe. But Kittle can do a lot of things Waller can’t do also when it comes to breaking tackles and pancaking defensive ends.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm not going to knock Kittle I think he's a great player but I think Waller's blocking is seriously underestimated. I think there's a bias against him because he's such an amazing athlete and a converted receiver. I'm trying to get the Draft Dudes to take some time and just watch his blocking but they haven't yet. I just finished watching the coaches film from last season for the 2nd time and he's almost too good to be true. He does everything well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:
That 75 yard screen play last season was crazy.

I could watch that again and again. He doesn't even appear to be moving all that fast until you see the yardage markers and how much ground he is covering.

Yeah he is a special talent. The way he snatches the ball out of the air you'd think he was 6'4 220 or something but the guy is huge. We haven't been this lucky with a player since Bo Jackson the way he fell in our lap.

I hope I'm wrong about Marinelli but I listen to the Dallas drive show pretty often and they were really down on him. The show has 2 meatballs but they also have the former head scout for the Cowboys, and the guy that used to break film down with Dane Brugler so they actually know their stuff. They didn't like the scheme he was running and they laughed at the PFF rating of Collins. I think they gave him like 48 pressures or some ridiculous number. They wanted both of them gone. They claim Collins' gap responsibility is pretty lousy and he always has some nagging injury. I'm just hoping they don't make him a starter in place of Hall because Hall is a very good player when you watch the coaches film.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Stupid People wrote:
First Annual Season in Vegas
Furious using correct titles

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:19 am 

Henry Ruggs has typical Raider bust WR written all over him

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:23 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Henry Ruggs has typical Raider bust WR written all over him
:lol: dolphin's trolling game is weak. Softened up during the 'rona.

Ruggs is no Kevin White.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Youre my guy, Furious, but...
Fuck your Raiders. :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:30 am 

Ruggs might be a solid WR but choosing him over Lamb, Reagor, and Jeudy was a pretty bad decision imo. But I also think Mayock has earned a bit of trust by now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:36 am 

Ruggs will have an immediate impact. He will stretch the field for Waller, Renfrow, Bowden, Richard, etc. while he learns the pro game. Game-changing speed don't need no OTAs.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:38 am 

Bold prediction that I dont consider bold: Bryan Edwards will have a far better career than Ruggs. That's your guys stud

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:50 am 

Edwards might need a redshirt year with that foot injury, which is why he dropped in the draft. Hope he impresses earlier than expected, though. They can move on from Tyrell Williams next year with no dead money.

The future is bright.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:46 am 

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

I can only assume people who think Ruggs is going to be a bust haven't watched him play or don't know much about him. Most players with speed like he has are small guys with bricks for hands (like Hamler) who usually excelled at track . Ruggs is 6'0" 190 and has top 92% hand size. I'm not going to say he has better hands than Lamb or Jeudy but he's comparable. He has bigger hands than both and they're soft...he doesn't fight the ball at all and only had one drop. He's also got a top 99% vertical. His favorite route in college was the slant and Carr's favorite route to throw is the slant. Edwards is a similar player to Lamb (who was my favorite receiver) but there was nobody else like Ruggs so Mayock and Gruden did a great job here.

Furious...did you see Moreau beat Renfrow up the mountain? Looks like he's ahead of schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:05 pm 

I missed the Moreau update, Mongo. That's good to hear.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:30 pm 

Uni Watch: A Definitive Ranking of All 32 NFL Uniform Sets

https://www.insidehook.com/article/spor ... kings-2020

Sounds about right.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:32 pm 

Any list with the Browns in the top 5 is a bad list.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Trading PJ Hall was a mistake. When you're going to cut a guy and then teams start approaching you with draft picks maybe someone should double-check the film and see what they missed. I didn't chart it but he was the one drawing the help at least 80% of the time on 1st and 2nd down and he had the 2nd highest win rate vs. double teams last season. This is why they wanted Marinelli out of Dallas. He has no interest in tackles that can take on double teams and play with good gap responsibility. I hope Kwiatkoski likes taking on guards because he's going to be doing that a lot with Collins playing in front of him.

It looks like Hall failed his physical in Minnesota. I haven't heard about any type of injury and he played in every game last season. I wonder if he told them he already had a deal with Houston or Arizona.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:34 pm 

Derek Carr offers high praise for Bryan Edwards: 'He reminds me of Davante Adams

https://www.raiders.com/news/derek-carr ... ante-adams

Since Jon Gruden returned as Head Coach of the Raiders, the team has made a conservative effort to get faster on offense, but the Silver and Black have been missing a big-bodied receiver to throw to down in the red zone.

Leading up to the 2020 NFL Draft, Coach Gruden and General Manager Mike Mayock had two receivers they wanted to target according to Derek Carr, Henry Ruggs III, and Bryan Edwards. Carr spent a lot of time watching tape of each before the draft and couldn't help but think of a three-time Pro Bowler when he watched Edwards play.

"Bryan is a very violent route runner and that's a good thing," Carr told reporters Tuesday. "He's very violent, he's very aggressive in his cuts, he reminds me — when the ball is in the air — of [Green Bay Packers wide receiver] Davante [Adams], great ball skills."

Carr spent two seasons with Adams at Fresno State amassing an absurd 38 touchdowns over that span. If anyone knows Adams' play style, it's Carr, and to hear him compare one of his newest weapons to the Packers' star speaks volumes.

"[Edwards] reminds me of that kind of guy, someone who can not only use his physicalness in the route, but also when the ball is in the air," Carr added. "Some of those catches you watch him run, he runs a double post, he runs a fade against Tennessee, he runs a double post at home in South Carolina. Some of these things I watched him do on film before the draft, you could tell this dude is a freak talent, like, 'Why is he not talked about in the first round?'"

Edwards, standing at 6-foot-3 and weight 212 pounds, was selected No. 81 overall by Gruden and Mayock to serve as the physical receiver the Raiders have desperately needed down near the goal line, but offensive coordinator Greg Olson shared that the rookie has the ability and mental capacity to grasp all receiver positions, making him a versatile threat as well. Edwards' role could start as the defacto redzone receiver, but Olson says the coaching staff has more planned for him.

"He's multiple [positions]," Olson said during his Zoom conference Tuesday. "These guys — that's the one thing — Henry Ruggs, we moved him at the Z, but both of them have shown with what we've done in the last couple of days that they're very intelligent players. That's a huge plus for what we want to do offensively. We've asked him to move — we like him as a big guy outside, don't get me wrong — I think he's going to develop into a [great receiver] outside, but he's shown the intelligence to move inside and also the savviness as a route runner to run some of those inside slot routes."

The rookies and the undrafted free agents are facing unprecedented odds as they prepare for the 2020 season. For the first time, they've been forced to learn an entirely new playbook without taking the field with their new teammates, but Edwards says that's played to his advantage.

"The terminology is definitely more complex than it was in college," Edwards said. "So, there's a steep learning curve, but with all the Zoom meetings and things we have to do, it's kind of making it easier just because we spend so much time on the playbook."

Edwards rewrote several University of South Carolina records during his four years there, including Alshon Jeffery's all-time receiving yards record (3,045) and passed Kenny McKinley for most receptions in school history (208).
8)
While a lot of receivers are getting leaner and faster — thanks to Tyreek Hill's impact — Edwards tries to model his game after a couple of future Hall of Famers, Deandre Hopkins, and Julio Jones. He hasn't had the opportunity to reach out to them yet, but given the right opportunity, he will.

"It's not anyone that I've reached out to yet because of the pandemic and the virus, I've been cooped up on Zoom meetings and focusing on the playbook," he said. "I'm definitely looking forward to reaching out to guys like Deandre Hopkins and Julio Jones, guys that have that same ability as me and play the game the way I do."

Hopkins and Jones aren't bad examples of players Edwards should strive to be like, but if he wants to get in the ear of one of the league's best receivers, all he has to do is ask Carr for Adams' number, and considering Carr thinks the two are alike, maybe the Raiders' signal-caller will push him to reach out.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:24 am 

MongoMuller wrote:
I can only assume people who think Ruggs is going to be a bust haven't watched him play or don't know much about him. Most players with speed like he has are small guys with bricks for hands (like Hamler) who usually excelled at track . Ruggs is 6'0" 190 and has top 92% hand size. I'm not going to say he has better hands than Lamb or Jeudy but he's comparable. He has bigger hands than both and they're soft...he doesn't fight the ball at all and only had one drop. He's also got a top 99% vertical. His favorite route in college was the slant and Carr's favorite route to throw is the slant. Edwards is a similar player to Lamb (who was my favorite receiver) but there was nobody else like Ruggs so Mayock and Gruden did a great job here.

Furious...did you see Moreau beat Renfrow up the mountain? Looks like he's ahead of schedule.

You know, it's really difficult to find an Alabama game on national tv and they play no important games so I can see why no one but raider fans would be familiar with Ruggs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:29 am 

Yeah, Josh Jacobs didn't see the majority of the carries during his time at Alabama. What the hell were the RAIDERS thinking?

Meanwhile:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Furious Styles wrote:
Uni Watch: A Definitive Ranking of All 32 NFL Uniform Sets

https://www.insidehook.com/article/spor ... kings-2020

Sounds about right.

The BEST looking uniform in the league is banished to 30th on this list because of its "problematic" logo on the helmet. You just have to laugh at some of this shit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:11 am 

Bears should sign PJ Hall.

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 989 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next