It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2020 Week 15
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:29 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I didn’t think my post was defensive at all. Just stating facts. And yes of course the draft is part of football and there’s no magic potion in it.

Okay rick.

I don’t get the reference.

I don’t mean this as an insult or to mock either I just think you have a serious misunderstanding of the NFL. I’m sure Joe Douglas didn’t love seeing that win today but that’s just the nature of the NFL, you can’t get players to tank and it’s immoral to ask them to when any given play can end in paralysis.

You want to win every game and if you get the right coaching staff he will install a culture that doesn’t depend on having to get a super prospect to get where you want to go. Brian Flores doesn’t need Trevor Lawrence to win a Super Bowl.

I can assure you it's not a misunderstanding. For all the ink spilled on sports here and in society, it all really boils down to this: winning is better than losing. That's really it. I don't "misunderstand" that.

We are looking at this from different points of view, not different understandings. One point of view says losing a game today sets you up to win several bunches of games down the road. Perhaps even becoming a perennial contender with Lawrence under center.

I don't dispute your contention that losing on purpose in the NFL is unethical. In this case, I would do it anyway. I would degrade the coach's ability to win this game and the rest of the season's games just to grab Lawrence. In this case, long term strategy outweighs the day to day tasks that the players and coaches are dealing with. The franchise will appreciate having Lawrence more than they'll appreciate the meaningless wins. Fans like yourself and others will hate me. All but a few will forget this however once Lawrence is coronated in ny as the new starting Qb.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I think you do have a misunderstanding. How exactly as the GM would you have ensured a loss? Because if you’re forcing your coach to bench his best players he’s probably going to refuse. So then you fire him and the interim guy likely refuses too but let’s say he goes along with it. Now you just completely lost your locker room and the stain is bad enough Trevor might just say I’m not going to a team that would do that. If you draft me I’ll sit out for a year and won’t play unless traded. You’re just destroyed your entire franchise because you treated a real football team like a fantasy football team.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:44 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
I think you do have a misunderstanding. How exactly as the GM would you have ensured a loss? Because if you’re forcing your coach to bench his best players he’s probably going to refuse. So then you fire him and the interim guy likely refuses too but let’s say he goes along with it. Now you just completely lost your locker room and the stain is bad enough Trevor might just say I’m not going to a team that would do that. If you draft me I’ll sit out for a year and won’t play unless traded. You’re just destroyed your entire franchise because you treated a real football team like a fantasy football team.

That's a lot of ifs man. Like I said, it's happened before under the guise of "looking at younger players" or whatever. Please don't pretend like tanking hasn't happened before with the complicity of the coaches. If the players put on a superhuman effort and win despite the intention to lose then good for them. But this is not a new thing.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:46 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That's a lot of ifs man. Like I said, it's happened before under the guise of "looking at younger players" or whatever. Please don't pretend like tanking hasn't happened before with the complicity of the coaches. If the players put on a superhuman effort and win despite the intention to lose then good for them. But this is not a new thing.

We’ve had this debate before. There’s no such thing as tanking in the NFL. Today was yet more proof. You don’t tank in the NFL for all the reasons I’ve outlined over the last several posts.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:47 am 

Also you didn’t answer my question. You said you would ensure a loss as a GM by fucking with your coach. How?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:26 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
To whoever thinks they should puprosely lose, you are dumb.

You think Sam Darnold is gonna go out there to play to lose, so that they can draft the guy that will replace him?

there's not a single player or coach that is ok with losing, unless it's Week 17.

By the way, I called the upset.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:58 pm 

Ryan Finley is the best QB on the field tonight

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yeah Steelers bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:57 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
So why did Finley start over Allen?

I thought if Finley started there was no chance they win.

By my count, that's 2 QBs this year that have won throwing for less than 100 yards. (Cam @ Chargers)

I wonder what the record in a season is?