It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Divisional Round
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Each team gets the ball at the 40.
Both play concurrently.
No downs.
No kicking.
Whoever scores in the fewest amount of plays wins.
In the event of a tie, some type of skills competition between the kickers/punters.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: John's
In the event of a tie, the team with the most fully vaccinated and boosted players wins.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:26 am 

denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
You guys are basically saying that the rule should be that they keep playing until a team DOESN'T score a TD.

I think both teams should touch the ball

And then the coin flip gives the ball back to KC, and you are in the same spot.

That's why the best answer for OT is always to give equal amounts of possessions between the two.

Just like how in regulation one team gets to kick off the game and the other gets to kick off the second half.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:28 am 

Personally for the playoffs I would like to see them put 10 mins on the clock and just play out that time like you would the 4th quarter.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:31 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I could get behind that. A 5th quarter so to speak.

If its still tied after, then its sudden death.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I could get behind that. A 5th quarter so to speak.

If its still tied after, then its sudden death.

so if the 10 minutes ended with a tie aren't you are right back with the same OT questions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:47 am 
100000 CLUB

The difference being that there would have already been an overtime period where both teams offense and defense had time to make plays and win the game. Team A gets the ball to start the first OT, then Team B gets it to start the second OT. Like the start of the game and the 3rd quarter.

They can't play forever. You can't have an eighty or hundred minute football game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:49 am 

I don't mean this is a real suggestion but I wonder how the math would change if you lost the game if you didn't score a td or fg on your first drive. TD = Win
FG = Other team gets a chance to tie or win No score = You lose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:50 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The difference being that there has already been an overtime period where both teams offense and defense had time to make plays and win the game.

They can't play forever. You can't have an eighty or hundred minute football game.

so play the extra 10 minutes and then after that flip a coin and kick off like in the old days? Not throwing shade on your idea but after 4 quarters of a tie why not then just do sudden death then like we used to? I think it is the sudden death part people dont like. adding a quarter just pushes the problem out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:51 am 

well of course there is still a chance of it ending in another tie. But isnt part of the purpose of OT is to extend the game and give them an opportunity to finish it on the field?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:56 am 

RFDC wrote:
well of course there is still a chance of it ending in another tie. But isnt part of the purpose of OT is to extend the game and give them an opportunity to finish it on the field?

my idea is each team gets at least one possession in OT, if it isn't resolved then play regular rules until someone scores. no chance of a tie after that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:57 am 
100000 CLUB

Right, I agree with you. Like I said how both teams get an at bat in the 10th inning.

It would be nice if both teams got the ball in OT, but Buffalo scored with 13 seconds left. Sometimes, you have to ask your defense to make a play. The Bengals D was able to do that with less than a minute left in regulation during both of their playoff wins. The 49ers D managed to get the ball back for their offense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
alternate plays with each team's offense. start at the 25. use both sides of the field. if defense gets turnover that offense is done and as long as the other team scores points they would win.

if the team that went first scores then the team that went second would have to match and score that next play.

after i finished typing this i realized the refs are a problem. they wouldnt be able to run back and forth. i suppose you could alternate plays on the same side of the field.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:41 pm 

or just play a full 15 minute qtr and see who has the most points at the end of it. makes the coin toss less important. if still tied at the end of OT then alternate 2 pt tries

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
There are multiple options here....what needs to happen is the luck of the coin toss needs to be take out as a factor on who wins in OT. Regular season and playoffs.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:56 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
There are multiple options here....what needs to happen is the luck of the coin toss needs to be take out as a factor on who wins in OT. Regular season and playoffs.

rock paper scissors best of 3 would be a game of skill.

or to hell with player safety and adopt the XFL go get the football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nVuMorlOWc

tommy maddox was impressed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
My biggest problem with NFL overtime has always been if there was never a rule for it, if every game always ended in a tie, and you had to make up the overtime rule completely fresh, no one would ever decide the current format (or the previous one, or the one before that) was the best way to do it. They keep tweaking a fairly bad overtime rule when they should be rethinking it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Have a jump ball with the other 20 in a circle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:28 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Have a jump ball with the other 20 in a circle

That whole XFL idea of placing the ball on the middle of the yard line and first to get the ball wins possession :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Playoffs deserve different rules than the regular season. In regular season, length of game in a TV window is a thing, and a tie or three each season isn't the end of the world as we saw with the week 18 fun involving the Raiders and Chiefs.

For the playoffs:
Start on your opponents 20. Same end zones as the fourth quarter, no punting. Opponent the same. Whoever received the opening kickoff gets the ball first (which stops all this defer the choice crap). If it's still tied, move it back to your opponent's 35, flip end zones. That's still only a 52 yard FG if you do nothing. If it's still tied, move it back to the 50, flip end zones again.

In this scenario, something would have to be added to dissuade defensive penalties post-snap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:51 pm 

I think, in overtime, the field should open up at the 50 yard line like the basketball court in It's a Wonderful Life. The pit should be filled with unicorns but not the rainbow kind. The unicorns will be trained so that their horn is always pointing up. Then after the game they should slaughter all the unicorns and grill them along with the homeless.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:24 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I think, in overtime, the field should open up at the 50 yard line like the basketball court in It's a Wonderful Life. The pit should be filled with unicorns but not the rainbow kind. The unicorns will be trained so that their horn is always pointing up. Then after the game they should slaughter all the unicorns and grill them along with the homeless.

Well yeah of course, but PETA would be upset.

Just grill all ten Jaguars fans instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Start on your opponents 20. Same end zones as the fourth quarter, no punting. Opponent the same. Whoever received the opening kickoff gets the ball first (which stops all this defer the choice crap). If it's still tied, move it back to your opponent's 35, flip end zones. That's still only a 52 yard FG if you do nothing. If it's still tied, move it back to the 50, flip end zones again.

In this scenario, something would have to be added to dissuade defensive penalties post-snap.
This. All of this.

And, make the overtime football square. Lets see Robbie Gould try to boot a cinder block through the uprights! Also, no helmets allowed in OT.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:46 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

This. All of this.

And, make the overtime football square. Lets see Robbie Gould try to boot a cinder block through the uprights! Also, no helmets allowed in OT.

I don't get the desire to design some new game of football for overtime. Kick the ball, drive the ball down the field and score, or punt. Then the other team gets a try. Then play regular football until someone scores. Leave all the weird shit for the XFL or the USFL or whatever new league that is destined to fail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

It should be simple but the NFL continues to mess things up. Both teams touch get the ball on offense, sudden death, or a timed period. That's it. There's the three choices.

And if its a ten minute OT and one team puts together a 10 minute drive, more power to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 pm 

i just think an underachieving team with shitty special teams like the Packers shouldn't get a pass in OT by having the ball generically placed anywhere. They should have to kick and punt and cover and play normal football.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:22 pm 

I like the start OT with the same end-zones as 4th quarter and opening kickoff gets the ball first in OT.

Otherwise, totally disagree. No new rules, or game structure. Kick-off, return possession and try to score. You either move the chains to TD / Field Goal or Punt. Safety and you lose the game. No extra points on TD...gotta attempt a 2-pt conversion.

Other team gets a possession to match or best the 1st teams result. If it's the same result you go to sudden death. For regular season, I'm fine with a clock to manage the time in regular season, but you have to at least give each team a possession and a chance to declare a winner.

It doesn't have to be perfect or complicated but take the fucking coin toss out of OT and give both teams a chance to win it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Where the hell is the defense? Forget HC, Frazier should be fired as DC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Frazier and Bowles did themselves no favors yesterday. Both cracked under pressure and should have disqualified themselves from ALL head coaching jobs. Bowles not giving Brady a chance to win in overtime is a black listing offense.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:37 pm 

BigW72 wrote:

I like the start OT with the same end-zones as 4th quarter and opening kickoff gets the ball first in OT.

Otherwise, totally disagree. No new rules, or game structure. Kick-off, return possession and try to score. You either move the chains to TD / Field Goal or Punt. Safety and you lose the game. No extra points on TD...gotta attempt a 2-pt conversion.

Other team gets a possession to match or best the 1st teams result. If it's the same result you go to sudden death. For regular season, I'm fine with a clock to manage the time in regular season, but you have to at least give each team a possession and a chance to declare a winner.

It doesn't have to be perfect or complicated but take the fucking coin toss out of OT and give both teams a chance to win it.

Im ok with that but there are those who think that both teams should have an equal chance in OT in the playoffs.

Only baseball and basketball do that, except basketball's OT is much shorter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next