It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
man of few opinions wrote:
I love kelly being on your list. He is really a forgotten man these days but he was great and he did it in some bad, cold conditions.

My favorite as a kid. I used to love when the Bears games were at 3 or at night...we'd always wind up with the noon Buffalo game on NBC. The reason I like the Bills and the Raiders to this day...seemed like they were on every AFC game locally when the Bears weren't on CBS back in the early 90's

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Brady
Montana*
Rodgers
Brees
Manning
Favre
Marino
Elway
Staubach
Young

*Montana is the best QB (Joe Cool was the perfect nickname) I ever witnessed for an entire career, but I realize there's no way to argue with Brady's results.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:22 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
How do we rank the older guys (pre merger) on this list? Unitas has been mentioned, but what about guys like YA Tittle, Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, Len Dawson, etc.

I'm not saying these guys are top 3 or 5 or anything, but you almost have to do a pre 1980 best of and a post 1980 best of. Even a pre/post 1990 perhaps as the game and rules are just so much different now.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brady
Montana*
Rodgers
Brees
Manning
Favre
Marino
Elway
Staubach
Young

*Montana is the best QB (Joe Cool was the perfect nickname) I ever witnessed for an entire career, but I realize there's no way to argue with Brady's results.

What sets Brady apart to me even besides his obvious Super Bowl success is the revolving cast of characters and styles of play he adjusted to over the years. Yes he had some great receivers and o-lines but he didn't ALWAYS have them and he still managed to keep winning. Brady at number 1 is beyond reproach in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:25 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
How do we rank the older guys (pre merger) on this list? Unitas has been mentioned, but what about guys like YA Tittle, Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, Len Dawson, etc.

I'm not saying these guys are top 3 or 5 or anything, but you almost have to do a pre 1980 best of and a post 1980 best of. Even a pre/post 1990 perhaps as the game and rules are just so much different now.

thats kind of where my list was at - the game changed so drastically so quickly in the mid- to late- 80's and early 90's comparing Roger Staubach to Drew Brees is virtually impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:27 am 

comparing Roger Staubach to Drew Brees is virtually impossible.

Yep, and if I had one big game to win I would take Staubach to lead my team.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
the game changed so drastically so quickly in the mid- to late- 80's and early 90's comparing Roger Staubach to Drew Brees is virtually impossible.
Agreed. MANY QBs were 'great' by the standards of the time.

Unitas is probably the one guy that should be on any top ten list regardless of era. TD pass in 47 straight games. That's an insane record that likely will never been broken.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:30 am 

RFDC wrote:

Hard to argue it unless you get blinded by pro football reference numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brady
Montana*
Rodgers
Brees
Manning
Favre
Marino
Elway
Staubach
Young

You mention results but then have Rodgers third? :lol: This isn't a troll job - what are you smoking? Pure homerism on your part. That's like me ranking Lovie Smith #2 on a list of all-time greatest coaches.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:31 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brady
Montana*
Rodgers
Brees
Manning
Favre
Marino
Elway
Staubach
Young

What sets Brady apart to me even besides his obvious Super Bowl success is the revolving cast of characters and styles of play he adjusted to over the years. Yes he had some great receivers and o-lines but he didn't ALWAYS have them and he still managed to keep winning. Brady at number 1 is beyond reproach in my opinion.

Short of Edelman, it seemed like whenever Brady had a top receiver (especially those mid 2000's Patriots teams), they'd lose (looking at you, Randy Moss)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brady
Montana*
Rodgers
Brees
Manning
Favre
Marino
Elway
Staubach
Young

Again, there's no fact-based argument against what you've written, but I have watched both and my memory of Montana's cool demeanor as he smoothly moved his team downfield stands out...and I wasn't even a fan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
RFDC wrote:

Speaking of how the game has changed, here's Staubach's Super Bowl TD to Butch Johnson. Definitely not a catch in 2022!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc2JHKPbeoM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:34 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Montana's cool demeanor as he smoothly moved his team downfield stands out...and I wasn't even a fan.

He was at his greatest in the big moments. 2mins left. 1st and 10 ball on the 20 yd line and a TD needed to win the Superbowl. He is my choice to be QB every time.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:35 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Frank hit it on the head here.

And there is no way I'm putting Brady over Montana. Four of Brady's rings were won by his defense and him being a great game manager. And he was useless in the first Super Bowl v. New York. Maybe both if iirc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:37 am 

a few months ago some old NFL films "week in review" half-hour shows started popping up in my YouTube feed from the early 80's so I started watching them, and the violence displayed against QB's and WR's during those times is almost hard to believe. Things have evolved so far that those old shows almost seem like a highlight reel of personal fouls, they are pretty awesome to watch. Back then if you were some random number 83 on some team and you had to run a crosser, I hope you had your life insurance policy up-to-date because it was open season and no ref was going to bail you out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:42 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

And there is no way I'm putting Brady over Montana. Four of Brady's rings were won by his defense and him being a great game manager. And he was useless in the first Super Bowl v. New York. Maybe both if iirc.

the old "if you take away all this good stuff and these four Super Bowl wins, he wasn't really that good" argument.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I absolutely hated Montana growing up, but if we are just building the list on mojo.....Montana is probably tops...even over Brady. Still....like the Aikman discussion....Montana was on loaded teams with the best supporting cast possible. That counts for something.

When you look at the older guys, Unitas and Staubach really stand out with some impressive numbers.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Montana threw to Jerry Rice and John Taylor

Brady threw to David Patton and Deon Branch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Brady
Elway
Montana
Favre
Young
Marino
Moon
Luckman
Manning
Otto Graham

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:48 am 

Stabler is the 70's guy that jumps out to me. He threw a ton of picks but those Oakland teams threw down the field. His completion percentage is surprisingly high for the time too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:48 am 

Nas wrote:
Brady
Elway
Montana
Favre
Young
Marino
Moon
Luckman
Manning
Otto Graham

Come on man, Luckman and Graham over Unitas?

That is terrible.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:49 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

the old "if you take away all this good stuff and these four Super Bowl wins, he wasn't really that good" argument.

I have him at number two, but he just isn't a guy I'd ever have paid money to watch play except for the fourth quarter of the ATL Super Bowl. Or for his final fourth run against St. Louis when the tired John Madden wanted to play for the tie in regulation.

And I'd have loved to play with him. So there's also that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:50 am 

RFDC wrote:
Nas wrote:
Brady
Elway
Montana
Favre
Young
Marino
Moon
Luckman
Manning
Otto Graham

That is terrible.

Its a very Nas list...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:51 am 

Stabler is the 70's guy that jumps out to me. He threw a ton of picks but those Oakland teams threw down the field. His completion percentage is surprisingly high for the time too.

Snake and those teams were a helluva lot of fun. Given the time imo he was better than Favre despite what any numbers say.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:52 am 

otto graham was the shit. Its not crazy to have him on an all-time list.

100000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
Nas wrote:
Brady
Elway
Montana
Favre
Young
Marino
Moon
Luckman
Manning
Otto Graham

That is terrible.

Luckman was the first franchise quarterback and a Bear. I flipped a coin, and Graham beat Unitas

100000 CLUB

sjboyd0137 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Nas wrote:
Brady
Elway
Montana
Favre
Young
Marino
Moon
Luckman
Manning
Otto Graham

That is terrible.

Its a very Nas list...

It is a great list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:53 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Nas wrote:
Brady
Elway
Montana
Favre
Young
Marino
Moon
Luckman
Manning
Otto Graham

That is terrible.

:lol: Not without Grossman.

Its a very Nas list...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:55 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Nas wrote:
Brady
Elway
Montana
Favre
Young
Marino
Moon
Luckman
Manning
Otto Graham

That is terrible.

:lol: Not without Grossman.

Its a very Nas list...

Or Mitch :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
2000 - present:

Manning
Brady
Warner
Rodgers
Ben