It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
This might be a really good example of a sunk cost. People are saying the Broncos are screwed for the next five years because of Wilson's contract. That may be true salary cap wise but it doesn't prevent them from moving on from Wilson on the field. They can totally bench/cut Wilson and just eat the costs. Doing so would jettison their on the field loss and clear the way for them to draft a QB . The wrong thing to do would be to keep rolling him out there as a starter just because he has a massive contract. If you truly believe he's not going to get better you actually move on from him regardless of his salary - the cost shouldn't be the reason you keep sending his bum ass out there to start. Cut him, eat the cap hits, and move on.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
You can't cut him, just bench him. Draft a QB and make Russ the highest paid backup in history. The guy sucks, I'd fire Elway for that extension.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It's too soon to talk sunk cost. Besides, they don't own their 1st round draft pick any time soon.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:27 pm 

Nas wrote:
It's too soon to talk sunk cost. Besides, they don't own their 1st round draft pick any time soon.

I agree on the first - maybe a few more games. I am not sure what you mean by the second point though. I know they don't have a 1st round pick but the minute you find someone who adds more value than Wilson you go with that guy.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

I agree on the first - maybe a few more games. I am not sure what you mean by the second point though. I know they don't have a 1st round pick but the minute you find someone who adds more value than Wilson you go with that guy.

I would give him another season before dumping him. I would draft a quarterback and fire the head coach this offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Have a team meeting sans Russell Wilson athletic gear and tell the players to step it up going into the off-season so Wilson looks like he still has value. Then call that guy who owns the Carolina Panthers in the off-season and tell him you'll split Wilson's salary with him if he takes Russ in a trade. Panthers traded for Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield...past his sell-by date Wilson's the hat trick of suck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Nas wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

I would give him another season before dumping him. I would draft a quarterback and fire the head coach this offseason.

which head coach, the nominal head coach with the title or the other guy they brought in mid-season to do his job

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
While it can be viewed as a sunk cost, there is a moral hazard element in these cases (Jason Heyward is another example). Paying the player to sit at home would create an incentive where players are rewarded for being terrible. The fairest thing would be for Wilson to agree to a buyout since he's not living up to the contract (assuming it's not due to injury), though that would never happen so early on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:43 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
While it can be viewed as a sunk cost, there is a moral hazard element in these cases (Jason Heyward is another example). Paying the player to sit at home would create an incentive where players are rewarded for being terrible. The fairest thing would be for Wilson to agree to a buyout since he's not living up to the contract (assuming it's not due to injury), though that would never happen so early on.

I agree it's important to avoid the moral hazard problem - this is something I assume GMs in the future would be on the lookout for with respect to contract structure and whatnot. That being said if I'm in charge of the broncos I still wouldn't have a problem if Russell Wilson in exchange for a salary is sitting at home playing video games. Just because I'm paying him doesn't mean I have to play him if playing him makes my team worse, moral hazards be damned.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:47 pm 

Cutting Wilson would be a 107 million cap hit.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:

Which would likely lead to the Broncos cutting players who are good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:50 pm 

Nas wrote:

There is talent on that team, the QB is the biggest weakness. You don't need a 1st round pick to get a QB. Outside of Buffalo and KC and maybe S D. Everybody would trade their qb for Hurts[ 53]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:52 pm 

conns7901 wrote:

I just read an article which outlined the best time to cut him, assuming he continues to suck. It's sometime in 2024 where the dead money will be as low as it can be. That said, money doesn't compel Denver to start him. Sit his ass if you find someone better.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:53 pm 

312player wrote:
Nas wrote:

There is talent on that team, the QB is the biggest weakness. You don't need a 1st round pick to get a QB. Outside of Buffalo and KC and maybe S D. Everybody would trade their qb for Hurts[ 53]

Wilson himself ironically was a third round pick.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:29 pm 

Nas wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Which would likely lead to the Broncos cutting players who are good.

Its slightly more than 50% of the cap.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:59 pm 

Carson Wentz hasn't played in almost 2 months and still has more tds than russ.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Russell Wilson has his own team at the facility. They aren't employed by the Broncos and wear Team Russell Wilson gear. He has a personal qb coach, trainer, nutritionist, and massage therapist. Its very strange that these people are walking around the facility. He also has a personal water girl who hovers around him with his special bubble water that he says helps prevent concussions. He gets 4 seats on the team plane for his entourage and 6 parking spots at the facility. He also has his own office. He organizes what he calls "State of the Union" meetings on off day that are very unpopular. Who knows if anyone shows up anymore. He had a reserve defensive tackle blow up on him Sunday so situation is starting to bubble over.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:24 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
veganfan21 wrote:
This might be a really good example of a sunk cost. People are saying the Broncos are screwed for the next five years because of Wilson's contract. That may be true salary cap wise but it doesn't prevent them from moving on from Wilson on the field. They can totally bench/cut Wilson and just eat the costs. Doing so would jettison their on the field loss and clear the way for them to draft a QB . The wrong thing to do would be to keep rolling him out there as a starter just because he has a massive contract. If you truly believe he's not going to get better you actually move on from him regardless of his salary - the cost shouldn't be the reason you keep sending his bum ass out there to start. Cut him, eat the cap hits, and move on.

I remember when I learned the concept of sunk cost it was about a pair of sneakers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:11 am 

I would start the sneakers over Russell.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:11 am 

MongoMuller wrote:
Russell Wilson has his own team at the facility. They aren't employed by the Broncos and wear Team Russell Wilson gear. He has a personal qb coach, trainer, nutritionist, and massage therapist. Its very strange that these people are walking around the facility. He also has a personal water girl who hovers around him with his special bubble water that he says helps prevent concussions. He gets 4 seats on the team plane for his entourage and 6 parking spots at the facility. He also has his own office. He organizes what he calls "State of the Union" meetings on off day that are very unpopular. Who knows if anyone shows up anymore. He had a reserve defensive tackle blow up on him Sunday so situation is starting to bubble over.

I would launch all of them into space.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:41 am 
1000 CLUB

The Denver sports station had their big voice promo guy do a spot thanking the league for flexing them out of Sunday night. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
you fire this idiot coach and try again next year. you also hope russ has been humbled and will work hard in the off-season. you can't pull the plug now, that is insane.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:44 am 

Remember when some people used to argue that football player contracts weren't good deals for the players?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:48 am 
1000 CLUB

His new 5 year deal hasn't even kicked in yet. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:30 pm 

billypootons wrote:
you fire this idiot coach and try again next year. you also hope russ has been humbled and will work hard in the off-season. you can't pull the plug now, that is insane.

If you had (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky or Jacoby Brissett on the roster would you bench Wilson?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Remember when some people used to argue that football player contracts weren't good deals for the players?

They aren't in comparison to other leagues. You're trying to extrapolate an anecdote of a former star player.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Who cares about his contract? Packer fans continue to tell me the salary cap is a myth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:39 pm 

Nas wrote:
Brick wrote:

They aren't in comparison to other leagues. You're trying to extrapolate an anecdote of a former star player.

NFL players have the highest top salaries in American sports and they play a sport that has double or triple the number of players overall.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Brick wrote:

NFL players have the highest top salaries in American sports and they play a sport that has double or triple the number of players overall.

Most of their contracts aren't guaranteed. Russell Wilson won't see all of that money. The only reason he can't be cut immediately is it would screw up their salary cap. Russell Westbrook doesn't have that concern. Ben Simmons doesn't have that concern. Spider Tack Gerrit Cole doesn't have that concern.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:51 pm 

Nas wrote:
Brick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Brick wrote:

Most of their contracts aren't guaranteed. Russell Wilson won't see all of that money. The only reason he can't be cut immediately is it would screw up their salary cap. Russell Westbrook doesn't have that concern. Ben Simmons doesn't have that concern. Spider Tack Gerrit Cole doesn't have that concern.

Ben Simmons makes $5 million less a year than Wilson if Wilson gets cut at the earliest possible time period. Westbrook is about equal to Wilson if Wilson gets cut but Westbook was a 5 year and Wilson was a 4 year.