San Diego Chargers 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Oakland Raiders 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
San Francisco 49ers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
None 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
According to Yahoo! Sports http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfl-losangeles&prov=ap&type=lgns, Guvunah Ahnold signed a bill to build a stadium 15 miles outside of Los Angeles in order to attract an NFL franchise.

Of the teams that the group behind the stadium plan to go after, only the Minnesota Vikings and San Francisco 49ers presently have a winning record. Would Los Angeleans support a team which may not win many games? Would they even support a winner? Any chance any of these teams will bite?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
They can't even find money to execute people, how are they gonna get money for stadium that doesn't have a team? that state is fucked up...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I cast my vote for the Jacksonville Jaguars as the team most likely to move to Los Angeles, but don't be shocked if the San Diego Chargers are also in the running. Nobody's going to the Jags' games at the formerly named Gator Bowl these days, and their games are now getting blacked out locally down there. As for the Chargers, even though they're the only full time tenants with the Padres now at PETCO Park, I've heard that the Spanos family is less than thrilled with their current lease and L.A. has been on their radar for quite sometime. Finally, I thought the Raiders were already there back in the '80s...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:02 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I cast my vote for the Jacksonville Jaguars as the team most likely to move to Los Angeles, but don't be shocked if the San Diego Chargers are also in the running. Nobody's going to the Jags' games at the formerly named Gator Bowl these days, and their games are now getting blacked out locally down there. As for the Chargers, even though they're the only full time tenants with the Padres now at PETCO Park, I've heard that the Spanos family is less than thrilled with their current lease and L.A. has been on their radar for quite sometime. Finally, I thought the Raiders were already there back in the '80s...

The Raiders played in Los Angeles, (which is also known as "LA-LA Land", because Los Angeles is usually shortened to "L. A.") for a decade. The Rams played in L. A. (and for a time in Anaheim), for most of their existence after they left the major metropolis of Cleveland. The San Diego Chargers played their inaugeral season 50 years ago in L. A.

What the Governator needs to realize is, that if you build it, they won't necessarily come. Tampa built the former "Thunderdome" in the '80s to draw the SF Giants to Tampa, and San Antonio built the Alamo Dome to draw an NFL franchise. Neither place got what they wanted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
SHARK wrote:

The Raiders played in Los Angeles, (which is also known as "LA-LA Land", because Los Angeles is usually shortened to "L. A.") for a decade. The Rams played in L. A. (and for a time in Anaheim), for most of their existence after they left the major metropolis of Cleveland. The San Diego Chargers played their inaugeral season 50 years ago in L. A.

What the Governator needs to realize is, that if you build it, they won't necessarily come. Tampa built the former "Thunderdome" in the '80s to draw the SF Giants to Tampa, and San Antonio built the Alamo Dome to draw an NFL franchise. Neither place got what they wanted.

Right after Hurricane Katrina left the Louisiana Superdome in terrible shape in 2005, Colonel, I remember the New Orleans Saints split their time between the LSU campus in Baton Rouge and San Antonio. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Saints were supposedly thinking about relocating to the Alamo city full time the year after Katrina, and many fans were pretty upset with owner Tom Benson using San Antonio as leverage.

Also, as far as the "Thunderdome", which is now known as Tropicana Field and home of the Tampa Bay Rays, the Giants & the White Sox were supposedly on the list to relocate from San Francisco & Chicago's South side before the Rays became an MLB team in 1998. Factually speaking, the "Thunderdome" was such a white elephant, that the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning played a season or two there before they moved into their own arena, now known as the St. Pete Times Forum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Screw LA. They're broke & a bad sports town.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:00 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
The Padres play in Petco....the Chargers play in the Stadium that has had as many names as Candlestick Park and was known as San Diego Stadium.

Where is this stadium going to be located in the Los Angeles area?
If it is in someplace like San Bernardino or Riverside Counties, it may as well be in Barstow as far as traffic is concerned....nobody is going to drive from West L.A. or the San Fernando Valley thru traffic to go.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:24 am 

Scorehead wrote:

You are a provincial idiot.
L.A. has 2 Baseball teams, 2 N.H.L. teams, 2 N.B.A. teams, U.S.C. and U.C.L.A. and other colleges in the vast area.
Why is it a bad sports town, because people lack the "fire and passion" of a middle aged fat ass with a beer in his hand jumping up and down with two strikes on an opposing batter at Wrigley Field in the top of the second inning?
Because they don't have teams there that market to "the best fans in the world" because that is how these teams here manage to extract a lot of money from Bernsteins's SIMPLETONS?
The L.A. Coliseum is one big dump and Anaheim Stadium wasn't outfitted with suites when the Rams were there.
N.F.L. teams generate a lot of revenue from Stadiums since Jerry Jones showed them all the way.
You rip every city, including Chicago, just about every radio host on WSCR and WMVP, and do your "Boy in the Bubble" routine from sleepy Batavia.
Guess what, Chicago and the State of Illinois are in deep financial trouble....you haven't noticed since they increased your dosage of stupid pills.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:31 am 

Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
The Padres play in Petco....the Chargers play in the Stadium that has had as many names as Candlestick Park and was known as San Diego Stadium.

If it is in someplace like San Bernardino or Riverside Counties, it may as well be in Barstow as far as traffic is concerned....nobody is going to drive from West L.A. or the San Fernando Valley thru traffic to go.

Aggravated, not that it matters at this point, but I believe the proposed new stadium is supposedly going to be located in Industry, CA. There had been talk for years about building the new stadium right across the street from Dodger Stadium in one of their adjacent parking lots, but every time the stadium subject came up since the Raiders went back to Oakland and the Rams out to St. Louis, it's been two steps forward, two steps back. In football terms, they've been stopped every time on fourth down. Speaking of the Raiders, their game vs. the Jets Sunday didn't sell out and will be blacked out Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:47 am 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
How would you change alignment if JAX moves to LA? You can't put them in the AFC West because of the rivalries. Maybe they go to the NFC West and the Cardinals go to the AFC South?

That is a valid point. In a perfect world, the Dallas Cowboys have no business in the NFC East. Trouble is, owner Jerry Jones doesn't want to lose what he feels are traditional rivals such as the New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles & Washington Redskins twice a year in their division. I think the Jaguars, if they are the team moving out West, they'd go to the NFC West with the San Francisco 49ers, Arizona Cardinals & Seattle Seahawks. The one team I'd see moving would be the St. Louis Rams, especially considering where they are regionally.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:31 pm 

LA had two chances and blew it.

it is not a bad sports town, but even LA'ers will tell you it's not an NFL town. it's a USC town.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
W_Z wrote:

it is not a bad sports town, but even LA'ers will tell you it's not an NFL town. it's a USC town.

It's a USC town for as long as USC is going 11-1 every year. LA is the front-runningest town in all the land.

Besides, Los Angeles is more valuable to the NFL as a means of extracting concessions from local governments in cities that currently have teams than it is with an NFL team of their own.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Irish Boy wrote:
W_Z wrote:

It's a USC town for as long as USC is going 11-1 every year. LA is the front-runningest town in all the land.

Besides, Los Angeles is more valuable to the NFL as a means of extracting concessions from local governments in cities that currently have teams than it is with an NFL team of their own.

I'd say atlanta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:49 am 

Irish Boy wrote:

you know they boo'd their own rams when they went to the superbowl? that's like back-frontrunning or something...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:02 am 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
Fuck the Raiders. They destroyed the Oakland Colliseum with Mount Davis. They pushed my formerly beloved Rams to fucking Anaheim.

The Chargers aren't moving. Qualcomm is in a good location and would be better with some modernization, some football-only changes.

Can't they build a stadium with private money in L.A.? Of all the places in the U.S. I would think that one could be built by media conglomerates, wealthy celebs and studio execs. No money needed from the state. They could be the Lakers of football.

Jacksonville is the favorite to split. Florida already has 2 NFL teams. The Vikings don't have a new stadium deal, do they?

I went to college in the Bay Area when the Raiders were one damned tough ticket....before the asswipe crazed Al Davis took the team to L.A.
I was at the A's Opening night in the Coliseum this past April, and with or without Mt. Davis, the place is an antiquated fan unfriendly dump.
The A's deal to move south to Fremont fell through and the N.F.L. wants the Niners and Raiders to share a proposed stadium in Santa Clara.
Dumb assed Charlie Finley could have moved the A's from Kansas City to either Seattle or Denver, but chose Oakland because the stadium was already there.
I will never forget driving up to Oakland to buy World Series tickets and finding no line....and this was for the Catfish Hunter-Reggie Jackson A's.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:22 am 

W_Z wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

you know they boo'd their own rams when they went to the superbowl? that's like back-frontrunning or something...

Rams were in St. Louis then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:22 am 

The closest things to NFL football in Los Angeles are "FOX NFL Sunday's" pregame show and the studio complex where they do "NFL Total Access" on the NFL Network when USC isn't kicking their opponents' ass on Saturday afternoon in the college game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:23 am 

The story said 15 miles east of LA.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
If this is the way the Rams are going to play for the next couple years, I'd be glad to give them back to L.A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:18 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:

The story said 15 miles east of LA.

Location works there.

There is an article in SI about the guy who wants to build the stadium.

He obviously wants majority ownership in a team, and the Rams are the club currently up for sale.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Public money for a sports stadium with no team to go in it? Nice work California. Then again I'm not for public money going to stadiums that do have teams to put in them either.

Everything I've heard and read says Jacksonville has the most difficult lease to get out of in the NFL. They have to prove they lost money 3 years in a row or the city isn't keeping the stadium up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Scorehead wrote:

You are a provincial idiot.
L.A. has 2 Baseball teams, 2 N.H.L. teams, 2 N.B.A. teams, U.S.C. and U.C.L.A. and other colleges in the vast area.
Why is it a bad sports town, because people lack the "fire and passion" of a middle aged fat ass with a beer in his hand jumping up and down with two strikes on an opposing batter at Wrigley Field in the top of the second inning?
Because they don't have teams there that market to "the best fans in the world" because that is how these teams here manage to extract a lot of money from Bernsteins's SIMPLETONS?
The L.A. Coliseum is one big dump and Anaheim Stadium wasn't outfitted with suites when the Rams were there.
N.F.L. teams generate a lot of revenue from Stadiums since Jerry Jones showed them all the way.
You rip every city, including Chicago, just about every radio host on WSCR and WMVP, and do your "Boy in the Bubble" routine from sleepy Batavia.
Guess what, Chicago and the State of Illinois are in deep financial trouble....you haven't noticed since they increased your dosage of stupid pills.

Bob,

Calm down & take a deep breath...
I rip every city? I have ripped a few, not every. The truth is that you can count on one hand the cities that might be better than Chicago. As far as sports radio show hosts on WSCR & WMPV, there are a handful that I dont like, but there are more that I do like. I will repost my list if you'd like.
As for LA, I have attended numerous sporting events in LA, & know people in LA...it is a terrible sports town. And yea...LA does in fact lack the fire & passion for their sports teams.
Have you ever been to a Dodgers game? What a joke. "Fans" arrive in the 2nd inning & leave in the 6th. As a sports fan I'm surprised that you don't realize this. LA doesn't deserve an NFL team. They have had two teams & both of them bailed.

You White Sox fans really need to get over your Cubs envy...all 12 of you...

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:55 am 

Colonel Angus wrote:

no. this was back in '80 against the steelers; superbowl xiv.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:59 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

no. this was back in '80 against the steelers; superbowl xiv.

:oops: Forgot about that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:32 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
How would you change alignment if JAX moves to LA? You can't put them in the AFC West because of the rivalries. Maybe they go to the NFC West and the Cardinals go to the AFC South?

An argument could be made that since LA is in Southern California, that keeping them in the south wouldn't, technically, be a big deal.

Whatever team that moves to LA will likely have to be put or already in the NFC, not only to keep the rivalries together in the AFC West, but because San Francisco sports teams have a rivalry with teams from LA, and Southern California already has the Chargers in the AFC. (of course, if the Chargers move to LA, this wouldn't be a problem at all, they'd just keep the divisions as is).

Lets say the Vikings follow the Lakers out to LA :lol: , that may either force the league to put St. Louis in the North, breaking up the rivalry with the 49ers, or going with a geographical stretch and putting the far northeast Seahawks in the north. The first option makes geographical sense, but I wouldn't see it happening for the reason said. Putting Seattle in the north wouldn't be accepted in Seattle, as their nearest rival will be thousands of miles away in Green Bay and Chicago.

If they move Buffalo, which I see them going to Canada before LA (which isn't a good idea, they should stay, IMO). Trying to figure what they would do in this case is irrelevent, as it's a long shot.

As far as not having to make any shakeups in the divisions, the Ram and Raiders make good sense. I don't know if either of these teams will get any support with new stadiums where they're at (unless they pony up the dough themesleves :lol: ) The Rams situation probably is based on who they sell the franchise to. It's likely that new ownership will try to work things out in St. Louis.

As for the Raiders, who have a small but rabid fanbase in Oakland and a delusional owner, it's hard to call on what they can/should/will do. I don't think they're going to get any public help with any stadium situation. Davis isn't going to front the money, or for that matter, find someone with enough money to help the Raiders get a new Black Hole in the area. Their best bet would be to share a stadium with the 49ers in the area, but the 49ers seem to be having problems with getting out of SF and keeping the right to use the San Francisco name. I'm not sure if the Raiders would move to LA, that the Chargers would try to block it. They moved to LA before, spent ~ a decade there, and tailed it back to Oakland. Does LA even want the Raiders, with the history they have.

As for the 49ers I see them staying in northern California, whether or not that's in San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Clara or elsewhere. They may use LA as leverage, but I'd be a little suprised to see them go. They have a rich history in the area, and it would be a shame to see that go down the toilet like it did in Houston with the Oilers and Cleveland with the first incarnation of the Browns and yes even LA with the Rams.