It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which do you prefer?
NFL 73%  73%  [ 29 ]
NCAA Football 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 40
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:53 am 

College is cool because its saturday. I can still go out after the games. Also getting drunk during the game doesnt have the consequences that a sunday binge can.

The college game has more trick plays, competition, Wider range of personalities, The most meaningful regular season in sports.

With that said

The NFL is still better.

VOTE OR DIE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 am 

I love both, but if I have to pick I take the NFL

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Easily NFL....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:57 am 

RFDC wrote:
I love both, but if I have to pick I take the NFL

+1 :wink:

No seriously thats exactly how i feel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:02 pm 

College.

1) Saturdays are better to sit around and enjoy and I'd rather be hungover on Sunday than Monday.
2) More games.
3) Regular season college games are more meaningful than most NFL games. Take last nights Vikings-Saints game and compare it to Boise State-Virginia Tech. The Vikings and Saints are still heavy favorites to make the playoffs. If you really think about it, the game had no real meaning. However, Virginia Tech is in big trouble in the hunt for the national title. They likely have to win the next 11 games and that may not even be enough.
4) Many more hateable teams in college. Yeah, I guess I dislike the Packers and Vikings. However, I dislike at least 3 Big Ten teams, Notre Dame, USC, and Hawkeye Vince.
5) The NFL seems too random. Almost no teams, outside of those with hall of fame QB's, are good year to year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
3) Regular season college games are more meaningful than most NFL games.

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
College.

1) Saturdays are better to sit around and enjoy and I'd rather be hungover on Sunday than Monday.
2) More games.
3) Regular season college games are more meaningful than most NFL games. Take last nights Vikings-Saints game and compare it to Boise State-Virginia Tech. The Vikings and Saints are still heavy favorites to make the playoffs. If you really think about it, the game had no real meaning. However, Virginia Tech is in big trouble in the hunt for the national title. They likely have to win the next 11 games and that may not even be enough.
4) Many more hateable teams in college. Yeah, I guess I dislike the Packers and Vikings. However, I dislike at least 3 Big Ten teams, Notre Dame, USC, and Hawkeye Vince.
5) The NFL seems too random. Almost no teams, outside of those with hall of fame QB's, are good year to year.

Pretty much exactly what I said.

I guess thats B Ricks version of a +1

EDIT: NFL sprints out to an 8-2 lead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:09 pm 

The sheer volume of college teams makes #3 false, IMO...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:09 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
3) Regular season college games are more meaningful than most NFL games.

:shock:
On it's own, that quote doesn't sound right.

I'm not talking about Purdue-Western Illinois. I'm talking about matchups between top 25 teams. One less ends your chance to play for a title. This happens 2 or 3 times a weekend to top teams.

If the Saints-Vikings game was a college game, the Vikings would be in trouble and need lots of help for a chance to play for the title.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm not talking about Purdue-Western Illinois. I'm talking about matchups between top 25 teams. One less ends your chance to play for a title. This happens 2 or 3 times a weekend to top teams.

Top 25, that's different. I see what you're saying.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If the Saints-Vikings game was a college game, the Vikings would be in trouble and need lots of help for a chance to play for the title.

That's one of the reasons I like the NFL more. I don't want my team to be "out of it" because they lose two games...

Last edited by Krazy Ivan on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:13 pm 

College Games ARE more meaningful

But the NFL isnt a good one to tout that against. The NFL has the second most important regular season.

Hockey and Thug League regular seasons are completely meaningless.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
College, even without a true school affiliation, there is so much more to watch, no Mannings anymore, and so much more vitriol towards visiting teams once conference games start.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:32 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Top 25, that's different. I see what you're saying.
I didn't post very well. I'm still kind of new at this whole thing.
Krazy Ivan wrote:
That's one of the reasons I like the NFL more. I don't want my team to be "out of it" because they lose two games...
That's actually a really interesting point. It probably helps that my favorite team is no threat to ever win a national title so that's not really a concern. I get to enjoy watching other teams battle it out and for one to have it's season ruined when the same isn't true for my own team.

While obviously I always like the Bears to make the playoffs I don't know if a 5-7 Bears team that isn't mathematically eliminated yet excites me too much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
College. NFL has become too parity-licious, and every team runs versions of pretty much the exact same offense. I dislike the Vikings. I HATE Michigan. Etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I think it depends on what you like as a fan. Without a doubt, the passion people feel for a particular team/school in college is far greater than the NFL. Echo'ing what IB said. I really dislike the Packers, but wow I hate Ohio State sort of thing.

If you are a fan of watching the best athletes in the world perform at the highest possible level, then the NFL is clearly your bag.

What's great is that love for them isn't mutually exclusive and it's 3-4 wonderful months of sports.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
College doesn't get my vote because the teams I care to watch take the month of December off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
The NFL is far and away better than the college game. I don't care about the rankings, let alone how the idiotic Bowl Championship Series is computed. Besides, I don't care for college OT and I don't think on the whole we'll ever get a true National Champion unlike its basketball counterpart.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
MLB

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
22-6 at 3 o'clock

It would currently take 16 straight votes to tie this poll at 22. In other words, College Football needs the NFL to lose 16 straight decisions to even the score. Given the NFL has a .756846521 winning percentage so far, I would say this is highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:09 pm 

Wow. 22 people are wrong on something. How rare for this board. Just like with Cutler, eventually you guys will figure out the right answer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Wow. 22 people are wrong on something. How rare for this board. Just like with Cutler, eventually you guys will figure out the right answer.

Does this prove JORR's attendance theory wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Does this prove JORR's attendance theory wrong?
:lol: I don't want to spend all weekend on this so I'll say "no comment".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:24 pm 

Rick says the NFL sucks because only a few teams can be good because they are the only ones with a good QB, while IB says the NFL sucks because it is too "parity-licious" ( :? ) and therefore there are no truly good teams.

Discuss.

This post is called "wanna be startin' somethin'"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:26 pm 

spanky wrote:
Rick says the NFL sucks because only a few teams can be good because they are the only ones with a good QB,

My question is which category does Denver fall into, good or bad?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:31 pm 

spanky wrote:
Rick says the NFL sucks because only a few teams can be good because they are the only ones with a good QB, while IB says the NFL sucks because it is too "parity-licious" ( :? ) and therefore there are no truly good teams.

Discuss.

This post should actually be called "spanky misunderstands a point Rick made".

My point was how year to year, there are very few teams that stay dominant, unless they have Manning or Brady or maybe Brees. A GM can do a great job and because of how much parity exists that they won't really be rewarded with more than about 2 years of quality teams.

The thoughts are actually pretty similar. Irish Boy has talked in the past about how the only way to be a team that is good for a long time is to have a hall of fame QB.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:32 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
spanky wrote:
Rick says the NFL sucks because only a few teams can be good because they are the only ones with a good QB,

My question is which category does Denver fall into, good or bad?
Kyle Orton is not a hall of fame QB and therefore I would not expect him to guarantee long term and consistent success.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I prefer the NFL, however I like the college atmosphere and the school bands playing after points. Very real feeling. NFL obviously is more of a corporate monster (not that NCAA is raking in the dough). There are so many damn colleges that I've never heard of and ridiculous blowouts that it's overkill.

The NFL feels like more of a nicely wrapped package that has a definite beginning and end and ultimate champion.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I mentioned the polls a little earlier in this thread. Don't ask me how they're computed, let alone the formula for the stupid BCS, but one of the things they consider is style points, whatever that means. For example, #4 TCU hosts Tennesee Tech this Saturday. In order to impress the voters, #4 TCU would likely have to blow out and possibly run up the score on Tennessee Tech, to possibly move up in the polls. Ditto for #6 Nebraska vs. Idaho.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
spanky wrote:

Discuss.

I think BR and I are in agreement here. The NFL pretty much works like this: there are three or four teams with top-class QBs that will always be competitive. The other 28 will sway back and forth. One team will have a dominant defense for a year or two and rise near the top. Another team will be Detroit and suck year after year. But in general, there isn't much separating those teams, and we see that with the wild fluctuations in records from year to year.

You can see the rises and falls in college coming, so it's more fun to watch (for me, YMMV). Plus, I like the one-team-per-player aspect of college (and yes, I know transfers exist, but 90% of the time players don't transfer). I love the hatred between teams and fanbases, which is almost totally nonexistent in the NFL. I like that you can still get Big Ten or SEC tickets on certain days for $15. I understand the quality of the game is less, and I love the NFL too. I was an NFL #1 person for a long time. All these years of Illini dominance have changed me though. :?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Irish Boy wrote:
I love the hatred between teams and fanbases, which is almost totally nonexistent in the NFL.

Hmmmm, must be brotherly love that I've seen at The Vet and The Link then when Dallas comes to town. Packers/Bears as well.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.