It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mark Sanchez
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:50 am 

How long can the Jets afford to not only stick with Sanchez, but have a backup QB who is not a threat to ever take his job? The problem is that his numbers always look decent but the way he plays ends up costing them a lot. The announcers highlighted yesterday the example with Keller how he was so late in getting him the ball that Keller had no real shot to make a move. I've never seen a QB make so many bad completions in my time watching football. A competent QB would be doing significantly better with that talent and the Jets wouldn't need to rely on making the game look like it's from the 1950's to win.

I don't know if Manning will ever be able to play again, but the Jets seem like the perfect landing spot for him if the Colts get Andrew Luck.

Post subject: Re: Mark Sanchez
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:55 am 

he's like tony romo without his scrambling ability.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:02 am 

Waste of a solid recieving core too

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I think Sanchez and Josh Freeman have both regressed and are 1 more bad season away from being on their way out. Freeman probably gets 2 seasons due to Tampa not having the public scrutiny that NY has and that he is younger than Sanchez.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: ------
W_Z wrote:
he's like tony romo without his scrambling ability.

Tony Romo has much better stretches than Sanchize he just has a tendency to wet the bed in big moments.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Sanchez is not great, but he is not bad, either. The play calling is atrocious and they have zero running game. Get him a real running back and an OC that can call a better game and he wouldn't be so exposed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:18 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
How long can the Jets afford to not only stick with Sanchez, but have a backup QB who is not a threat to ever take his job? The problem is that his numbers always look decent but the way he plays ends up costing them a lot. The announcers highlighted yesterday the example with Keller how he was so late in getting him the ball that Keller had no real shot to make a move. I've never seen a QB make so many bad completions in my time watching football. A competent QB would be doing significantly better with that talent and the Jets wouldn't need to rely on making the game look like it's from the 1950's to win.

The thing is there is not a veteran QB who has had success in the past sitting on some bench somewhere.

I mean if there is, then he is obviously not as good as Sanchez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:19 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
The thing is there is not a veteran QB who has had success in the past sitting on some bench somewhere.

I mean if there is, then he is obviously not as good as Sanchez
Not a Caleb Hanie fan I see.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Jobu
I absolutely love seeing Mark Sanchez trying his very best to be an N.F.L. quarterback. It is somewhat like watching a fish bravely trying to run a marathon.

J-E-T-S-Q-B, BAD, BAD, BAD!

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
watching sanchez qb the jets reminds me of rex grossman on the bears...all the pieces to win a super bowl and a very good defense and the qb is just an anchor on the team.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Jurko has been saying Mark Stafford and Matthew Sanchez all week. I think Stafford will be better, but both guys are pretty bad.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:33 pm 

oh here we go with the 72 dolphins again...STOP! STOP STOP! SHUT IT! SHHHHZZZIIIPPP IT!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Sanchez is just awful. I think if Greg McElroy were healthy, he'd probably see some action these last few games because he couldn't possibly be any worse. The price for Manning will likely be too high, but I imagine the Jets will spend a mid-round pick on a developmental guy and/or sign a vet like Jason Campbell or Neckbeard and hold a competition next TC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:13 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Sanchez is just awful. I think if Greg McElroy were healthy, he'd probably see some action these last few games because he couldn't possibly be any worse. The price for Manning will likely be too high, but I imagine the Jets will spend a mid-round pick on a developmental guy and/or sign a vet like Jason Campbell or Neckbeard and hold a competition next TC.

They need a RB/running game. Get that, and they will be fine with Sanchez.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I'm not sure how much longer Jets' head coach Rex Ryan can tolerate Mark Sanchez's inconsistent play in the wake of 2 bad losses within a week to the Patriots & Broncos respectively. They rematch the slumping Bills at MetLife Stadium Sunday, and needless to say, Jets' fans are going to get awfully restless and start chanting the name of Sanchez's veteran backup in Mark Brunell if Sanchez's bad play and poor decision making continues when they return.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:20 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I'm not sure how much longer Jets' head coach Rex Ryan can tolerate Mark Sanchez's inconsistent play in the wake of 2 bad losses within a week to the Patriots & Broncos respectively. They rematch the slumping Bills at MetLife Stadium Sunday, and needless to say, Jets' fans are going to get awfully restless and start chanting the name of Sanchez's veteran backup in Mark Brunell if Sanchez's bad play and poor decision making continues when they return.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:

That's not how it works. You can only hide a bad QB for so long. They had one of the league's most dominant running games the last two seasons and it wasn't enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:54 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

That's not how it works. You can only hide a bad QB for so long. They had one of the league's most dominant running games the last two seasons and it wasn't enough.

2009 - Number 1 ranked rushing offense. AFC championship game.
2010 - Number 4 ranked rushing offense. AFC championship game.
2011 - Number 25 ranked rushing offense. May miss playoffs.

Seems obvious that they are pretty good if they can run the ball. But they can't this year. That's why they suck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:52 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:

Seems obvious that they are pretty good if they can run the ball. But they can't this year. That's why they suck.

Sanchez is so bad that every other unit has to be perfect to allow him to perform. The Jets have already tried stacking said other units with Pro Bowlers, and it hasn't even been enough to get them a home playoff game. I'd love to see the list of recent-vintage teams able to hide a QB as bad as Sanchez to the tune of consistent division titles, let alone a Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:01 pm 

No sooner do we bash Mark Sanchez, watch the Jets make a playoff run and make all this talk a mute point.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
SHARK wrote:
No sooner do we bash Mark Sanchez, watch the Jets make a playoff run and make all this talk a mute point.

I wish my TV remote had a moot button.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:10 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
SHARK wrote:

I wish my TV remote had a moot button.

Frank, the same can be said for another inconsistent QB, the Ravens' Joe Flacco. There are a lot of people down on him, much like the Jets and Mark Sanchez, but it seems to mean little come playoff time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:02 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Sanchez is so bad that every other unit has to be perfect to allow him to perform. The Jets have already tried stacking said other units with Pro Bowlers, and it hasn't even been enough to get them a home playoff game. I'd love to see the list of recent-vintage teams able to hide a QB as bad as Sanchez to the tune of consistent division titles, let alone a Super Bowl.

Bears and Ravens are two quick ones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:36 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Bears and Ravens are two quick ones.

Well, that settles my hash. All the Jets need to do is acquire Pro Bowlers at LG, RT, and RB, and they'll be in perfect position to secure a Wild Card berth, win a game or two, and get their doors blown off the moment they face a team sufficiently talented to force them to pass. That's the dream at least.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Jets need Neckbeard.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:53 pm 

i agree with dave in champaign..sanchez blows ..he is and always has been the weak link stopping the jets from winning a super bowl..they win in spite of that bum...and please don't compare flacco..who is a decent qb to a bum like sanchez...flacco has no wideouts like sanchez...flacco = 60.6 % completion rate...72 td's n 42 picks...sanchez = 55.1% completion rate..43 td's n 43 picks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:53 am 

brunell taking snaps with first team

Jets use Brunell in practice to motivate Sanchez
Jets Blog
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Last Updated: 8:25 AM, November 23, 2011
Posted: 1:14 AM, November 23, 2011

More Print
Jets coach Rex Ryan made a snap decision about his quarterback this week.
Ryan has given backup Mark Brunell reps with the first team for the first time this season in an effort to spark inconsistent starter Mark Sanchez.
The motivational ploy is one Ryan has turned to before. After the Jets lost two straight games last December, Ryan said he considered benching Sanchez and then put Brunell with the starters for a few snaps in practice. Sanchez later told GQ the move made him want to fight Ryan and he would not allow Brunell in the huddle. That week, Sanchez played one of his best games in the Jets’ win over the Steelers.

NELL MILLER
SNAP JUDGMENT: Mark Sanchez takes a snap at practice yesterday. Sanchez was not under center for four snaps, when Rex Ryan let backup Mark Brunell take snaps with the first team.

Riding a two-game losing streak again, Ryan is hoping the same trick works.
“I know Mark Sanchez extremely well,” Ryan said. “I know how tough, how that fighting spirit he has. If it takes me to do this and take a punch in the nose, I don’t care. I’ll do it. But we’ve got to have it from him. He’s the guy. He’s my guy and we have to have it from him. ... When he’s that way, we’re extremely hard to beat.”
FOLLOW BRIAN ON TWITTER
UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG
Ryan made it clear he has no plans to make a quarterback change to the 41-year-old Brunell, who took two snaps Monday and four yesterday. He seemed to be half-joking when discussing the situation with reporters, but did say Sanchez was not happy with him. He said the two had not spoken this week.
Sanchez said he did not have a problem with Brunell taking a few reps, but his answers on the topic were brief and he said, “That’s Rex’s deal.”
At one point during the questioning, a Jets public relations staffer told reporters cornerback Darrelle Revis was available for questions. Sanchez said, “Ooh, perfect,” hoping reporters would leave his locker.
Ryan admitted the ploy was part motivation, part superstition because of the results it got from Sanchez last year. Against the Steelers, Sanchez did not put up huge numbers, completing 19 of 29 passes for 170 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions, but led the Jets to a huge victory on the road after suffering a shoulder injury early in the game.
“I don’t think it really matters, but for some reason he got a little hot under the collar and gave that super-competitive fighting spirit that he knows he has,” Ryan said.
Sanchez has experienced an up-and-down third season as the Jets’ quarterback. He has not progressed the way many people expected him to. He has 10 interceptions through 10 games after throwing 13 all of last year, and has thrown three interceptions that have been returned for touchdowns, including one in each of the last two games.
Ryan and Sanchez both said they have a strong relationship, but a little coach-quarterback tension, a la Bill Parcells-Phil Simms, might be a good thing.
“We’re close, no question, but I’m close with my kids and I have to rip them every now and then, so it’s the same thing,” Ryan said.
Sanchez said: “We’re both competitive, we both want to win, we both have our own ways of going about things and that’s all. It’s a matter of winning. So I’m not mad at him. I don’t know where that came from. We’re good. I’m just trying to win the game. I’m not worried about anything else.”
Ryan was asked if he would bench Sanchez in favor of Brunell should the starter struggle against the Bills on Sunday.
“I’m not going to take him out,” Ryan said. “He’s our quarterback, but don’t even write that. Let him think it.”
Sanchez has taken the brunt of the criticism directed at the Jets during this disappointing 5-5 season. Now in his third year, he knows it comes with the position.
“It’s playing quarterback in New York,” he said. “It’s great when you’re winning, it’s tough when you’re losing. So we just have to go win.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/plo ... z1eXoKhclB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:06 pm 

Purely motivational. Even I think Sanchez gives the Jets a better chance at winning than Brunell. That said, if he weren't on IR, I imagine McElroy would also be getting some snaps this week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:16 pm 

wow does this guy suck